Home

Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait?

Posted By: Siegs

Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 01:15 AM

Looking at picking up some different lure and bait, I have been using Cavens Minnesota Red and Canine Force on my line with good success. Wondering what you guys use and would recommend?

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 02:16 AM

Anyone?
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 02:16 AM

Weiser's Old Reliable is quickly becoming a favorite of mine the last two years. It's not one I've heard a lot of people talk about but the coyotes in my area haven't been able to resist it whether its down a hole or working at a flat set.

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Weiser's Old Reliable is quickly becoming a favorite of mine the last two years. It's not one I've heard a lot of people talk about but the coyotes in my area haven't been able to resist it whether its down a hole or working at a flat set.

I'll check that out thanks!
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 02:22 AM

June’s widowmaker is a good one. Grawes Prairie fire and cowboy are good baits too. I use all three and like them all depending on the set
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 02:45 AM

Montana Special bait, A-1, good day to die, Missouri breaks
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 06:25 AM

I use RK Predator Plus and Widowmaker. How can any one bait be better than another ? I've got refusals with a bait all season on one property and 10 miles away tore them up with the same bait. So I will never understand how to rate which bait is good or bad.
Posted By: vegas falconer

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 07:55 AM

Gusto
A little dab will do ya...
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 12:01 PM

I really like Vixen Elixir and Top Dog Predator Bait - both from Hoosier Trapper Supply.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 12:12 PM

A lure that consistantly scores through different "moods" year around.

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20
Montana Special bait, A-1, good day to die, Missouri breaks

I’ve heard great things about that lure as well as Widowmaker

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kart29
I really like Vixen Elixir and Top Dog Predator Bait - both from Hoosier Trapper Supply.

I was looking at picking some up, i've just been using Caven's predator bait, looking to change it up since i've had some refusals.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 02:30 PM

This is what I have been going with this year. Kansas Trapline Product X Factor / O"Gorman's Plenty Coyote and fresh venison, beaver or rabbit
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 02:39 PM

June's "Fox Frenzy" is always in my bag.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 02:45 PM

Don't do lots of coyotes like many others here. Been dialing things down myself sorting threw lures. Currently using as main go to Dobbin's K9 Select, Lennon's Coyote All Call, O'Gorman's Gumbo. Also got a couple others Gusto, and a Matrix, I would have to go look to see what brand. The three I listed pretty much what I rotated as I set with other thrown in to test.

Mac
Posted By: red mt

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 02:56 PM

Keg creek bait and lures,
Posted By: tdtrapper

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 03:10 PM

I have personally trapped with Mark June and cletis Richards. Both who have lure and bait company s. Both of there products are top notch baits and lures. I use both of there lures and baits. There are many more lures not baits that I do use on my trap line. Junes windwalker I will not make a cat set with out it. His fox frenzy I will not leave home without. Smokey post I use at every sent post set I make. Cletis Richards apple roads bait goes in 90% of the dirt hole sets I make. And cletis has some new coyote and cat lure that is a must for a man that wants to produce. I also try and use many other lures caverns, John grams cat lures work well for me. The only one fact I know is if you work hard. Cover territory. Set on sign and listen and learn you will always move forward in the trapping world. Both of these men I trapped with are hardcore go getters.
Posted By: The Savage

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 03:18 PM

This season I tried 4 different baits. The 2 out of the 4 that produced set after set on different sites miles apart were Hiawatha valley and powder river paste bait. The others coyotes walked right by . I did have a half jar of Andy weisers horse meat bait, and it also caught coyotes . For me louder is better.

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by tdtrapper
I have personally trapped with Mark June and cletis Richards. Both who have lure and bait company s. Both of there products are top notch baits and lures. I use both of there lures and baits. There are many more lures not baits that I do use on my trap line. Junes windwalker I will not make a cat set with out it. His fox frenzy I will not leave home without. Smokey post I use at every sent post set I make. Cletis Richards apple roads bait goes in 90% of the dirt hole sets I make. And cletis has some new coyote and cat lure that is a must for a man that wants to produce. I also try and use many other lures caverns, John grams cat lures work well for me. The only one fact I know is if you work hard. Cover territory. Set on sign and listen and learn you will always move forward in the trapping world. Both of these men I trapped with are hardcore go getters.

I'll check out Mark June's lures, sounds like you have great results with them!
Posted By: CT Trapperman

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 03:25 PM

Hiawatha valley is my top producer , Skunk Fat cracklins is a close second. Cracklins are from when i render down skunk fat,best of all its free.
Posted By: DaYooper14

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 06:24 PM

Minnesota Red is a pretty darn good one. My others I like best are:

7 Oaks - Flats N Posts
Mark June - Fox Frenzy
Dunlap - Dog Catcher
Cronk - Allagash
Dobbins - Coyote #1
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 06:35 PM

7 oaks beav r cat.
Dobbins dig R.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 07:57 PM

After mediocre results I make my own.
Posted By: mikehunterman

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 09:47 PM

Coyote carnage from Hoosier Trapper Supply with bait has been working well for fox and coyote. it was my number one last year also.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/15/19 11:41 PM

Apple road
Posted By: Ibayne

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/18/19 02:44 PM

These an your good

Originally Posted by Siegs
Looking at picking up some different lure and bait, I have been using Cavens Minnesota Red and Canine Force on my line with good success. Wondering what you guys use and would recommend?

Originally Posted by Siegs

Attached picture 70B6A9E6-6951-4704-BC0C-B3B25823F3E8.jpeg
Posted By: coolbrze

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/18/19 05:15 PM

I don't trap as much as some on here but have had good luck w/ Hiawatha Valley & Bushwacker baits. For lures I do OK w/ Fox Frenzy, Violator 7,Gusto, Widowmaker, Windwalker, Purrrfect, Magna Gland, & Backbreaker.
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/18/19 05:32 PM

Windwalker
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/18/19 05:40 PM

I dont use much bait, or urine for that matter. Lures I like----tri nitro, violator 7, canine force, and that lesel guys (cant spell that last name, aint even trying) extreme coyote gland lure.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/18/19 05:46 PM

Seldom use any bait but when I do it's a sweet mouse bait I make smells like candy when it's done aging!
Posted By: Jason Turner

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/18/19 06:00 PM

Seldom use lure but I always have Jamesons XXX Matrix and cat or fox urine I get from him. Bob knows his stuff and this combination works for my area.
Posted By: Sheepdog1

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/19/19 01:26 AM

All of Paul Dobbins canine lure will knock the snot out of coyotes down here in SE Texas. Jameson's Prarie King gland lure is at the top of my list for a gland lure. I used Lenons All call and Super all call and also his natures call liquid lure with awesome catch ratios. Cavens Canine force did very well for me and when I am using bait I buy a gallon of his Predator Plus. You can use it just by itself without any lure and catch every coyote, cat and fox within the area. Grawes Yote Duster is another one that I had great success with over the years

I wish I could remember all of the names of Carmens lures I have used back 25-30 years ago when I finally figured out how to catch coyotes and fox in numbers.

To be honest, I haven't found a reputable lure makers products that don't work down here. I trapped the same places every year, roughly 250,000-300,000 acres all over east Texas. I would rarely use the same lures in these places from one year to the next. every third or fourth year I would rotate back to what I started using and add new lures from other reputable lure makers just so I could determine how they worked in my area.

All of these are specifically for coyote, fox and cats.

I cant exit this post without saying this, I typically would trap for 6 weeks running anywhere from 200-400 traps depending on the weather. The very first time I caught 100 coyotes in that time frame was the year I was using Lenons Lures. I am sure had I been using any of the other great lures and baits I would have done the same thing. For me to break the 100 coyotes was a goal and a turning point in my trapping journey. For that reason I have a special place in my bag of tricks for Lenons Coyote and cat lures. Asa is a good man as are all of the folks making these lures and baits we use to put fur in our fur sheds.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/19/19 01:28 AM

Beaver meat and fox pee...
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/19/19 01:58 AM

no matter the weather, no matter the season, a dead horse will draw in coyotes for many miles around. even when nothing but a dried up hide and scattered smelly bones are left they keep coming back to sniff around and pee. a dead horse with a few tbones scented with John Grahams bonanza and a shot of pee in the backing will produce a coyote or three. Same with an old dried out no meat left bones scattered about cow carcass
Posted By: Yotegiter

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/19/19 02:13 AM

Wayne derricks scalp hunter 1
Posted By: Sharpsman

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/19/19 02:51 AM

Powder River has done excellent for me this year
Posted By: cci

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/19/19 02:52 AM

I like chunked up muskrat with castor and lovage mixed in then tainted. Hawbakers gland 100
Posted By: WWPAlum

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/19/19 04:15 AM

I have had good success with the Artic Top Dog Predator, which is the the same as Top Dog Predator I think except it has a tinge of skunk. Also another producer for me is Smokey's Coyote bait. It can be found at Smokey's Deer Lures website.
For lure I just use Blackie's Magnum or TKO.
Posted By: Sheepdog1

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/19/19 06:29 AM

I forgot about Mark Junes lures and baits as well as John Grahams. I caught the hec out of coyotes and grey fox on that ground up crawfish June sold or did sell. Powder River Paste bait did well too. Down here there aren't many trappers so our coyotes aren't as savvy as you folks up north and north east.
Posted By: Len Dunham

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/19/19 10:37 AM

Apple road
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 01/19/19 08:32 PM

Boss dog lure and primal paste
Posted By: HogWylder

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 08/02/19 05:51 AM

I'm fascinated by lures & baits. I love testing them, watching the cams & studying the reactions to try & replicate the good ones...

In my area of NE Texas. I use a personal mix of rat glands, castor, asafoedita & Civet.

Actually, I change lures & baits pretty often from set to set. So I have several go to's but that a good one.....
Posted By: Nd native

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 08/02/19 07:13 PM

I wont try trapping October coyotes without R&M Mouse special bait. It's not to strong and seems like prairie coyotes and fox really like the mouse smell.
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 08/02/19 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by red mt
Keg creek bait and lures,

Of all the ones listed this ^ Keg creek would get my vote.. They waste no time shipping it out either!
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 08/02/19 10:50 PM

Anything by down south trappers. It out performed powder river on our week longline.
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 08/03/19 12:49 AM

I like Derricks 1080, wiesers bait and Derricks single coyote pee and one leg up his cat lures work well too!
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 08/03/19 12:59 AM

When all else fails gusto seems to keep working here no matter the bait.
Posted By: DON B

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 08/03/19 12:19 PM

Night Owl Lures are some of the best I've ever used. Brush Fire and Red XXL are great. Rolling Thunder is great bait. I'm really anxious to use the new rabbit bait. I wish I could find some rabbit urine somewhere as I have an idea I've been wanting to try. Try a bottle of Night Owl Lures and you'll see results.
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 08/03/19 05:22 PM

ground cat with skunk essence is my go too.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 08/04/19 08:13 PM

The two coyotes I have caught have both been on Keg Creek lures with a homemade bait of beaver meat.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 08/04/19 09:59 PM

Anybody try Apple Road in a pipe set?
Posted By: warrior

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 08/04/19 10:31 PM

June's Widowmaker and Hiawatha Valley have been my go to baits for awhile now. I like the Boss' RdFx and Digger for lures.
Posted By: JoeRJr

Re: Your go to Coyote Lure and Bait? - 08/04/19 10:34 PM

I'm new to trapping, but I've been "camera trapping" for a long while. I still don't claim to be any kind of expert.
In my experience, if you want coyotes to visit, nothing comes close to beaver chunks. I'd get pics of dogs I never got before on that particular property.
Beaver hide is no slouch either, but most folks have a different use for them.
Joe
© 2024 Trapperman Forums