Home

Words from our childhood.

Posted By: The Beav

Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 01:32 PM

Lost Words from our childhood:

Mergatroyd!... Do you remember that word? Would you believe the email spell checker did not recognize the word Mergatroyd? Heavens to Mergatroyd!

The other day a not so elderly (I say 75) lady said something to her son about driving a Jalopy and he looked at her quizzically and said "What the heck is a Jalopy?" He never heard of the word jalopy!! She knew she was old..... but not that old. Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory after you read this and chuckle.

About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology.

These phrases included "Don't touch that dial," "Carbon copy," "You sound like a broken record" and "Hung out to dry."

Back in the olden days we had a lot of 'moxie' We'd put on our best 'bib and tucker' to' straighten up and fly right'.

Heavens to Betsy! Gee whillikers! Jumping Jehoshaphat! Holy moley!

We were 'in like Flynn' and 'living the life of Riley'', and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill. Not for all the tea in China!

Back in the olden days, life used to be swell, but when's the last time anything was swell? Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys and the D.A.; of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes and pedal pushers...AND DON'T FORGET.... Saddle Stitched Pants.

Oh, my aching back! Kilroy was here, but he isn't anymore.

We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say, Well, I'll be 'a monkey's uncle!' or, this is a 'fine kettle of fish'! We discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent, as oxygen, have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.

Poof, go the words of our youth, the words we've left behind. We blink, and they're gone.

Where have all those great phrases gone? Let's all go to the beach Saturday "...

Long gone: Pshaw, The milkman did it. Hey! It's your nickel. Don't forget to pull the chain. Knee high to a grasshopper.

Well, Fiddlesticks! Going like sixty. I'll see you in the funny papers. Don't take any wooden nickels. Wake up and smell the roses.

It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than Carter has liver pills. This can be disturbing stuff! ("Carter's Little Liver Pills" are gone too!)

We of a certain age have been blessed to live in changeable times. For a child each new word is like a shiny toy, a toy that has no age. We at the other end of the chronological arc have the advantage of remembering there are words that once did not exist and there were words that once strutted their hour upon the earthly stage and now are heard no more, except in our collective memory. It's one of the greatest advantages of aging.

Leaves us to wonder where Superman will find a phone booth...

See ya later, alligator!
Posted By: 080808

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 01:38 PM

Wait til your father gets home!
This country is going to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) in a hand basket.
In a while crocodile!
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 01:51 PM

That's awesome Beav!
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Lost Words from our childhood:

Mergatroyd!... Do you remember that word? Would you believe the email spell checker did not recognize the word Mergatroyd? Heavens to Mergatroyd!

The other day a not so elderly (I say 75) lady said something to her son about driving a Jalopy and he looked at her quizzically and said "What the heck is a Jalopy?" He never heard of the word jalopy!! She knew she was old..... but not that old. Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory after you read this and chuckle.

About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology.

These phrases included "Don't touch that dial," "Carbon copy," "You sound like a broken record" and "Hung out to dry."

Back in the olden days we had a lot of 'moxie' We'd put on our best 'bib and tucker' to' straighten up and fly right'.

Heavens to Betsy! Gee whillikers! Jumping Jehoshaphat! Holy moley!

We were 'in like Flynn' and 'living the life of Riley'', and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill. Not for all the tea in China!

Back in the olden days, life used to be swell, but when's the last time anything was swell? Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys and the D.A.; of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes and pedal pushers...AND DON'T FORGET.... Saddle Stitched Pants.

Oh, my aching back! Kilroy was here, but he isn't anymore.

We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say, Well, I'll be 'a monkey's uncle!' or, this is a 'fine kettle of fish'! We discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent, as oxygen, have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.

Poof, go the words of our youth, the words we've left behind. We blink, and they're gone.

Where have all those great phrases gone? Let's all go to the beach Saturday "...

Long gone: Pshaw, The milkman did it. Hey! It's your nickel. Don't forget to pull the chain. Knee high to a grasshopper.

Well, Fiddlesticks! Going like sixty. I'll see you in the funny papers. Don't take any wooden nickels. Wake up and smell the roses.

It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than Carter has liver pills. This can be disturbing stuff! ("Carter's Little Liver Pills" are gone too!)

We of a certain age have been blessed to live in changeable times. For a child each new word is like a shiny toy, a toy that has no age. We at the other end of the chronological arc have the advantage of remembering there are words that once did not exist and there were words that once strutted their hour upon the earthly stage and now are heard no more, except in our collective memory. It's one of the greatest advantages of aging.

Leaves us to wonder where Superman will find a phone booth...

See ya later, alligator!

Thanks Beav, you brought a smile to my face. yes remember them all.. I think. it sucks getting old.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 02:23 PM

I love using those phrases/idioms.

I got a hard double look the other day when I said "molly whop" .

Now all the flavor in language is done with silly signs.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 02:57 PM

I sent it to my English Major daughter. She'll get a kick out of it. grin
Posted By: Hal

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 03:03 PM

Atta boy Gary, take credit for something that isn't yours.

https://www.facebook.com/DoYouRemem...m-them-would-you-recog/1518312241564169/

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 03:04 PM

Remember all of them, guess I must be old
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 03:24 PM

I remember them all......but then I still use most of them today. Cracks folks up all the time. Some have no idea what I mean, others just laugh and say, "you talk funny".

Tell a teenager today that they're square, then watch the look on their face.

Or say someone is built like a brick crap house.

The worst is, write in cursive and watch a youngun try to read it.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 03:36 PM

Sitting by the camp fire with a teacher friend. She was moaning about how tired she was of hearing her middle school students say everything "Blows!" So I reminded her that in our day did we not say some of those same things "Sucked!"
I told her we needed to make a t-shirt to wear that said. "Does it Suck! or Blow!"

One that drove me nuts when my now 35 year old son was in his teens... SWEET! Everything was SWEET! I swear one of his buddies couldn't finish a sentence with out say SWEET!.

Mac
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by il.trapper
I remember them all......but then I still use most of them today. Cracks folks up all the time. Some have no idea what I mean, others just laugh and say, "you talk funny".

Tell a teenager today that they're square, then watch the look on their face.

Or say someone is built like a brick crap house.

The worst is, write in cursive and watch a youngun try to read it.

Yep, have youngersters working with us. they can not read cursive.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 04:48 PM

Where's my wooden spoon!!!
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 04:55 PM

i still use many of them
Posted By: Posco

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 04:55 PM

I'll give you something to cry about.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 05:02 PM

"Do that too often and your face will stay like that."

Moosetrot
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 05:20 PM

my 4 yr old even says holy moly.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hal

What does it matter, the Beav made a cool post that brought back many memories.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 05:31 PM

Many of the words or phrases I heard from my mom, dad or both grandmas and grandpas were spoken in the old Czech language. Didn't know what they meant, but the way they were spoken I knew I was in trouble!!!!! smile smile smile
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 05:32 PM

"In like Flynn" Beav "You better Honk"
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hal

Well, " If that isn't the Pot calling the Kettle Black"
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 06:00 PM

Thank you!
Please!
Posted By: oneeyedtrapper

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 07:28 PM

My biggest peave is the school kids do not use Mr. and Mrs. when referring to or addressing their school teachers. Worse yet is that the teachers let them by with it! I've been out of school for 30 years and still use Mr. and Mrs. when referring or talking to my past teachers.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 07:39 PM

That sure is "the bees knees" Beav! Time to head to the crick and catch some muskrats!

Chris
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper
That sure is "the bees knees" Beav! Time to head to the crick and catch some muskrats!

Chris

Yes, toot sweet!
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 07:50 PM

Pete and Repeat sat on a fence.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hal

"People, I just want to say, you know, can we all JUST get along?"

Source: Rodney King on May 1,1992.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 08:45 PM

I'm at a girls(granddaughters) softball game benefit for the person who managed the indoor arena, that died in a car accident.

There was a young girl taking the team stats. I walked up and asked her was there one away? She looked at me, puzzled.

Her dad was just down a bit and told her, "that's if there's one out"! She's "Okay!" Shortly another out, her dad speaks up, "2 away"!

Then a third out. Her dad looks at her, "3 away"! I don't think she appreciated the education. Her dad loved it.

Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 10:34 PM

My dad invented time travel - I know this because he used to say "I'm gonna knock you into next week"!
He also said he'd "whip the tar outa me"... I always wondered:

1) How did this "tar" get inside me?
2) Is this "tar" causing me some other ill affects besides making me act up?
3) Was there some alternative method to remove it, other that "whipping it out"?
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 11:00 PM

I remember all them too! When I was young it was "choice" or "rad"
Posted By: K52

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 11:12 PM

Well I'll swan.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 11:18 PM

you don't leave it alone its gonna fall off

stop pickin your nose or you'll go cross-eyed

pay no attention to Hal.

my 3 best.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 11:34 PM

Anyone remember hanyak or hanyaker? Or how about, Hey snicklefritz.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 11:48 PM

I'll give you something to cry about

This is going to hurt me more than you

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 11:49 PM

Do I have to stop this car?

If I have to tell you again......

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 11:51 PM

Paditto, Slug Bug
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/20/19 11:57 PM

If you don't behave,your dad will get---THE RAZOR STRAP.
Tom
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/21/19 12:04 AM

Heck I Remember and still use most of those y'all. How about thank you ma'am, and thank you sir.
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/21/19 12:46 AM

I told a young manager where I work if someone says “what fer” reply “cat fer to make kitten britches”
He laughed and laughed now he says it to me all the time
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/21/19 12:47 AM

I say this at times at work people just look at me and laugh, Well I’ll be horn swaggled!
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Words from our childhood. - 01/21/19 01:02 AM

"Up to some Tom-Foolery"...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums