Home

Colorado sale

Posted By: wissmiss

Colorado sale - 02/06/19 06:59 PM

Any one have any reports from the sale in Colorado?

The live auction starts today with bears, cougars, antlers, tanned fur and all the misc stuff. Raw fur sells tomorrow (Thursday) start at 8 AM.

Hopefully some one will check in and give us an update.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Colorado sale - 02/06/19 07:27 PM

I always wait anxiously to hear how the Colorado Sale went. Would really like to go check it out sometime. Wish it wasn't during our trapping season. Hope that things go well for those selling fur!
Posted By: red mt

Re: Colorado sale - 02/06/19 10:20 PM

Yep one year soon I am going
Posted By: Joe krogman

Re: Colorado sale - 02/07/19 06:48 PM

Pretty quiet.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/07/19 06:51 PM

The raw fur auction is going on right now. Everybody is probably really busy, especially the guys like Monster Tom's and coloradocat, who help with the sale.

I'm thinking later on tonight, one of those guys will jump on here with some results.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Colorado sale - 02/07/19 06:52 PM

Do they auction out of state tanned fur?
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Colorado sale - 02/07/19 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by red mt

I went out Sunday and worked for a few hours. It’s pretty humbling seeing how well some guys do on their put ups.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/07/19 07:02 PM

Hope everything goes well ,just bringing it to the top.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/07/19 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Phil Nichols
Do they auction out of state tanned fur?

Yup. They sell just about anything from anywhere in the US as long as it is legal. You would be amazed at some of the items that show up.

Tanned fur
Leather
Teeth
Claws
Bones
Skulls
Porky hair
The list goes on.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Colorado sale - 02/07/19 09:37 PM

We are ear deep right now. Almost done with coyotes. Lots over $100. Going to be some dancing and retching when this one's over. Will post the reports tommorow afternoon when I get home.
Posted By: furgotten

Re: Colorado sale - 02/07/19 10:35 PM

patiently waiting on your report !

Re: Colorado sale - 02/07/19 10:50 PM

Got me curious what the retching will be about. Lots over $100 sounds good for some trappers. As the Colorado Sale has grown in size and come more folks attentions, I'm sure they're bound to get some stuff that they'd rather not have in the same building. I'm anxious to see how things went. Appreciate Monster Tom's effort to provide info to us curious on-lookers. Thanks!

Re: Colorado sale - 02/07/19 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pawnee

I went out Sunday and worked for a few hours. It’s pretty humbling seeing how well some guys do on their put ups.

Yes, agreed I got a invite to come down,,,,, retirement is coming ,,, ended up going back to work they call us back sooner this year.
Posted By: Desertambition

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 04:20 AM

Does anyone know what the fur auction results are?
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 07:14 AM

It was a good sale, trappers who sent fur will be happy, I know im happy! I make thousands more than expected, for my fur.

I have some paperwork here, but ill defer to a higher power. They will post results when they get time.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 03:10 PM

I'd like to thank Todd, and Otis, and Greg, and Chris, and the whole CTaPHA for all their hard work, and excellent customer service.

It is appreciated.

Thank you.
Posted By: Cliffy229

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 04:39 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 04:51 PM

Thanks! I understand Monster Toms "dancing or retching" comment now. Looks as if a few coyotes should've found a ditch.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 05:04 PM

Or had a reserve.
Posted By: Hole in 2

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 05:06 PM

Those Iowa coyotes must not have had much fur. They must have been really bad!
Posted By: hippie

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 05:07 PM

Awesome, kudo's to the folks who work to put this on!

I'm gonna make it a point to attend this soon.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 05:12 PM

I told you guys MONTANA HAD UGLY COYOTES

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 05:14 PM

I have a spare room Red,lol

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hole in 2
Those Iowa coyotes must not have had much fur. They must have been really bad!

A room full of prime heavy western yotes, couldn't have helped.

A reserve may have helped, as stated earlier.

Still, had to be some pretty bad fur for several states to have $1 and $2 coyotes.

Damaged pelts or poorly handled wouldn't be helped by a reserve though.

Edit: Looks as if the Iowa coyotes probably all came from one source, with only 30 sent.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 05:18 PM

Some dealers only send their junk fur, this accounts for low averages reported by some states.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 05:21 PM

LOL wink The Ilinois stuff is what I'm lookin at..

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hole in 2
Those Iowa coyotes must not have had much fur. They must have been really bad! The Iowa coyotes were all low grades, really poor!
Posted By: late bite

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by trappergbus

LOL wink The Ilinois stuff is what I'm lookin at..

Is that where they were taken or sent from? Makes a huge difference!

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
Some dealers only send their junk fur, this accounts for low averages reported by some states.

Lol I know laugh

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 05:52 PM

To drive from Illinois and commission,knocks the average down to around $38.
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 06:20 PM

Good prices and very good clearances

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 06:23 PM

Wonder how many co.coyotes were from kansas.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 06:36 PM

Skunks and coon had the same high but the skunk AVERAGE was $5 more than coon.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 06:44 PM

That's just sad.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 07:52 PM

Not to bad it seems

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 08:52 PM

LOL wink The Ilinois stuff is what I'm lookin at..[/quote]

Is that where they were taken or sent from? Makes a huge difference![/quote]
Sold all mine right at home buyer comes right to the door.
Hard to believe considering how ugly these coyotes are whistle

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by tbn
I have a spare room Red,lol

Might just take you up on that sense Kansas coyotes did so well blush
Posted By: spjones

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 09:17 PM

Living in southern Alberta, looking at the coyote average from Montana. Not good. Even after the exchange, the country buyers are paying more here.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 09:32 PM

It is hard to read a true average by state. Those could have been bottom end rubbed damaged goods.
Posted By: spjones

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 09:38 PM

Fore sure, but in this red hot coyote market. Even the junk is selling higher than it probably should.

Maybe the guys paying huge here. Are about to get burnt.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by spjones
Living in southern Alberta, looking at the coyote average from Montana. Not good. Even after the exchange, the country buyers are paying more here.
ONCE AGAIN, some dealers send their junk fur to the auction, this accounts for low averages reported for some States. When dealer fur arrives who knows WHERE it originated from, other than where it was shipped from.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
ONCE AGAIN, some dealers send their junk fur to the auction, this accounts for low averages reported for some States. When dealer fur arrives who knows WHERE it originated from, other than where it was shipped from.

That is 100% correct Colorado imo has absolutely great track record,
This is a year you had better done some home work ahead of selling your fur.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 10:39 PM

Without a doubt Red! Colorado is a premier sale by all accounts I've heard, and from what I see from members on here.

I have no doubts that, prices paid reflected quality of fur and put-up. Who sent what, why??? I don't know. Just a spectator and a speculator. I would feel better knowing it was some dealer sending their junk in to dump off at a location away from their own. At least then it wasn't a trapper that had their hopes up. I'm hoping someone that was there will provide us a little insight as to what was actually there, and maybe why some prices were so low. No reason to get personal about it. Somebody sent in something of little to no value. Stuff like that shows up at most sales. Doesn't reflect the quality of the sale, just the quality of the fur offered.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 10:47 PM

The junk should not be averaged in with the marketable goods.How is a trapper to know where the market is at if sec 3 goods are mixed with normal marketable fur.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 10:55 PM

I heading to Nebraska next year to trap coyotes!!!!!

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 11:03 PM

FWIW from my book 472 coyote lots offered 30 lots were $5 or less and yes I missed some of the lots selling.
most of those sellers don't know the difference between good and bad, but as they check in they see it. Some feel that they killed it and they are going to put it up.
On the other hand somewhere around 80 of those lots brought over $100

Boco, not going there.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 11:26 PM

Thanks Monster Toms!
Posted By: danvee

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 11:33 PM

Not that impressed with Wy coyote prices I need to step across my range fence to Colorado hope the cat prices were better but over all they don't seem that good I knew coon prices were in the tank. Well it is what it is time to calf and get ready for next year.
Posted By: coloradocat

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 11:43 PM

Home finally, and another one in the books.

I want to personally thank Todd for all he does. Ryan for keeping the books straight. Greg for taking the heat. Cody,Trenna,Jason and Pawnee who took time out of there schedules to come help on there own dime. You have no idea how much you helped. Bruce and Al for helping lot coyotes.

CTPHA Auction is and will always be a "what you see is what you get". No cooking the books to make it look better or worse. No use in even trying to explain things unless you were present to see. There will be happy faces and sad faces. Overall it was a great sale.

Long days with no breaks can wear on a person. Every single one of you performed at the professional level people come to respect. Thank you from me, you all make my jobs just a little bit easier.
Posted By: coloradocat

Re: Colorado sale - 02/08/19 11:45 PM

We even had a surprise guest. Was a pleasure meeting you as well. But I will let you spill the beans. Thanks for stopping by and saying hello.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/09/19 12:35 AM

Not to mention the women that cook cakes, brownies, cookies all day. Then put on home cooked dinners every night for everyone in the building. Heidi and Nikki for the auction room computer savvy. AAAANNNNNNDDD our auctioneers that get us out and done while the sun is up. Thanks to all our help and supporters!!!
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Colorado sale - 02/09/19 12:39 AM

Thnx for posting auction results! Kinda excited to see ks yotes do so well
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Colorado sale - 02/09/19 01:06 AM

Looks like a whole bunch of Teamwork . Anyone snap a photo of the Top Dog and Cat ?

Re: Colorado sale - 02/09/19 02:14 AM

We had a great time, its more fun than the circus, esp after 4-5 beers. My kid used to want to be a farmer, then a cowboy, now he wants to be Marty's gopher.

'Hey Caleb.......'

It is quite an experience, everybody needs to do it at least once.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/09/19 04:08 PM

The out door building filled up fast so over flow antler came in the main building.
[Linked Image]

Coyotes, coyotes , and more coyotes
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mounts by the trailer load.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
something for everyone
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Boomer cats
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Good supply of swift fox
[Linked Image]
Posted By: alann

Re: Colorado sale - 02/09/19 04:11 PM

Looks like both buildings were bursting art the seams.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/09/19 04:46 PM

Very nice pics. Thanks for posting, I can almost smell the goodness!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Colorado sale - 02/09/19 05:06 PM

Great pics.Those swift fox look like wooly little buggers.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/09/19 05:10 PM

Very nice pics! Thanks again.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/09/19 05:22 PM

Nicely done
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Colorado sale - 02/09/19 05:24 PM

Fore sure, but in this red hot coyote market. Even the junk is selling higher than it probably should.

Maybe the guys paying huge here. Are about to get burnt.

The signs are there.IMO Nice to have a hot market, but when junk starts getting bought too high then somebody down the line will lose big. IMO That will not help for the next year.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/09/19 05:46 PM

And when the market is hot Nafa bumps the grade,buyers don't get what they paid for and it starts all over.
Posted By: Creek

Re: Colorado sale - 02/10/19 03:00 PM

Looks like Kansas coyotes had the best average.Maybe you Colorado guys need to get your coyotes off the Marijuana..
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Colorado sale - 02/10/19 03:05 PM

I didnt know new mexico had that nice of yote. Wonder if those where from north or south new mexico?

Re: Colorado sale - 02/10/19 03:10 PM

There are some nice coyotes coming out of NM. Especiallly from the higher elevations. Some of them are better than our north Idaho coyotes, which tend to be semi-heavy brownish colors.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Colorado sale - 02/10/19 03:12 PM

Impressive!!!!!

Re: Colorado sale - 02/10/19 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by tbn
And when the market is hot Nafa bumps the grade,buyers don't get what they paid for and it starts all over.
You broke the code! When a particular species has a hot market the auctions favor the shipper to attract more skins being sent to them. When the market is slow the grade tightens and the buyers are given a better deal to keep them buying.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Colorado sale - 02/10/19 05:56 PM

Thanks for the pixs. Neat looking collections!!

No yotes sold from South Dakota? Is that just this year or is it typical...?
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Colorado sale - 02/10/19 06:27 PM

New Mexico has some nice coyotes, I sold mine last year at Estancia for 69 nose count that's with the sick ,lame and lazy thrown in

Re: Colorado sale - 02/10/19 10:17 PM

We normally don't get South Dakota coyotes. Guessing the route buyers get the bulk of them.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/10/19 11:39 PM

And the Surprise Guest ??

Re: Colorado sale - 02/11/19 12:01 AM

There was a fur sale in Bismarck, North Dakota a couple of weeks ago. Maybe the South Dakota coyotes went there, as the trappers could be there in person rather than shipping to Colorado.

Yes, I know the South Dakota trappers can drive to Colorado to deliver their furs and watch the sale. However, that involves a week of the trappers time. Fur has to be there on February 2 or 3. Raw fur sold on the 7. Several days to kill, though the CTA would appreciate the help if you wanted to pitch in. smile

Note - I'm not knocking the Colorado sale. In fact, I'm a big supporter of that sale. Just stating some facts.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/11/19 06:21 AM

Hardly anyone shows up to volunteer to set up that assoc sale, the premiere coyote sale in the whole of America.

All the speculators can suck eggs.

The special guest showed up with his checkbook, and bought 1900 coyotes. We said thank you sir. And he wants to buy more.
Posted By: bch

Re: Colorado sale - 02/11/19 07:13 PM

No bought 1900 coyotes one guy did buy around 1200 the rest were spead out to the rest of the buyers
Posted By: Starvalleytrappe

Re: Colorado sale - 02/11/19 07:29 PM

Very interesting
“Special guest” lol

Re: Colorado sale - 02/11/19 08:31 PM

Actually the "special" guest OD was referring to was the fox man himself Phil Brown, who stopped by to say hi on his was home to PA from a western adventure.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/11/19 08:39 PM

Having Phil Brown stop by definately qualifies as "a special guest".
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Colorado sale - 02/11/19 10:34 PM

That's cool
Posted By: Starvalleytrappe

Re: Colorado sale - 02/11/19 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Monster Toms
Actually the "special" guest OD was referring to was the fox man himself Phil Brown, who stopped by to say hi on his was home to PA from a western adventure.

See how easy it is to start rumors? Lol
Posted By: coyotedoc

Re: Colorado sale - 02/12/19 05:58 AM

As far as I know, I was the only one from South Dakota at the North Dakota auction this year. Honesty, most people around here sells on the carcass. There are at least two buyers stopping through our little town. Not many people put fur up around here. I'll try and send a few next year so we can see how the South Dakota coyotes compare to the rest.

Re: Colorado sale - 02/12/19 06:17 AM

Interesting that a lot of SD guys sell on the carcass. I figured most would put up fur. I suppose with the hot coyote market, buyers are anxious to get all the coyotes they can and figure buying them green will allow the guys to go out and get more coyotes.

How is the quality holding up in your area.?
Posted By: coyotedoc

Re: Colorado sale - 02/12/19 02:14 PM

Surprisingly well. Started getting a few rubbed ones in mid January and thought about quitting. Everything caught last couple of weeks looks pretty good. The fur buyer stopped through town yesterday and his trailer was fuller than I've seen it all year. Might have something to do with the amount of snow that keeps falling in the Dakotas....

© 2024 Trapperman Forums