Home

Cooking lynx for a meal Why??

Posted By: H. Fitzgerald

Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 07:49 PM

I have seen it done on Life below zero and Mt men. Seems gross to me. But they won't eat bobcat. I often wondered why eat one cat but not the other. What am I missing here. ? Last night I saw a meal of beaver feet and beaver tail. . I sure could stick to my diet if this is all I had to eat.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 07:50 PM

People must not have any good food to eat. Blah!
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 07:51 PM

I hear cat is good, I've not had it myself yet. I'm not sure about beaver feet or tail, but beaver meat is the best wild game there is, bar none.
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 07:54 PM

My wife and I got to eat some Mtn Lion at the Western National held in Livingston this past June. It was delicious, we missed out on the Grizzly Bear sausage as it was already wolfed down upon it leaving the skillet.
Posted By: white17

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by H. Fitzgerald
I have seen it done on Life below zero and Mt men. Seems gross to me. But they won't eat bobcat. I often wondered why eat one cat but not the other. What am I missing here. ? Last night I saw a meal of beaver feet and beaver tail. . I sure could stick to my diet if this is all I had to eat.

Lynx meat is pretty good stuff. I would rather eat lynx than beaver.

The reason we don't eat bobcats is because there are none.

Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 08:04 PM

There are any number of trappers in the lower 48 that eat bobcat. If you aren't told what the meat is, it takes a very sophisticated palate to figure out what you are eating.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 08:36 PM

I have eat Mt. Lion, it is good. Beaver has a smell to it. But not bad. Muskrat is not bad either. JMO
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 08:38 PM

Its white meat ,similar to pork. Here in Alaska we pretty much eat everything, there are no fish we throw on the bank and say" we don't eat those" Just the people that are so far detached from the food chain,they get picky if it didn't come from a package or a store smile

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 08:44 PM

I try to tell people who find it shocking that I would eat a beaver, or raccoon, or whatever, there's a lot more animals that you can eat besides cow, pigs, chickens, turkeys, and sheep, and you can get a lot more creative with it than just frying, baking, or sticking it in a crockpot with cream of whatever. Give em a try, you might like em.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 08:48 PM

I've tried mtn lion and it was OK. Beaver I didn't care for because I can always taste the castor. I don't like bear; like eating a black lab. Timber wolf I tried once; never again.

Loosegoose, if you think beaver is the best, bar none, you must never have eaten ruffed grouse.
Posted By: white17

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
I've tried mtn lion and it was OK. Beaver I didn't care for because I can always taste the castor. I don't like bear; like eating a black lab. Timber wolf I tried once; never again.

Loosegoose, if you think beaver is the best, bar none, you must never have eaten ruffed grouse.

I like bear meat but you are absolutely right about ruffies. They are the best eating in the woods !!

I would not eat wolf unless it was a matter of life & death. Black lab isn't bad though as long as they aren't eating fish.

Speaking of eating lynx...............Gulo & Mrs Gulo make some mean lynx pizza
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 08:56 PM

Some folks here eat Mink and otter, I heard of some guys eating fox down on the coast.

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 09:06 PM

Never had ruffed grouse, so I should qualify my statement as saying beaver is the best wild game I've ever had, bar none. But I'm always open to having my mind changedgrin
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 09:20 PM

I eat beef, pork, perch and walleye. If I am super desperate, I will eat chicken or turkey.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 10:07 PM

I have eaten bobcat and it's good.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 10:28 PM

Burbot is good too, but folks will throw it on the ice and leave it. If I don't want it, it goes back down the hole.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 10:54 PM

Lynx is one of the best meat in the bush.It is a light meat like ruffed grouse breast or domestic rabbit.Tastes very good and is not tough.I have skinned a couple bobcats and their meat is not at all like lynx.
People love lynx meat here,Trappers here get requests for lynx meat from locals all the time.
Posted By: Marten Ted

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 11:00 PM

Bobcat is excellent eating. It is much better than it sounds. Many people wouldn't be able to tell a difference from pork.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Lynx is one of the best meat in the bush.It is a light meat like ruffed grouse breast or domestic rabbit.Tastes very good and is not tough.I have skinned a couple bobcats and their meat is not at all like lynx.
People love lynx meat here,Trappers here get requests for lynx meat from locals all the time.

Spot on Boco
I have eaten coyote sausage and It was Ok . When I was skinning for a fox farm we sold all the carcasses to a local Japanese restaurant. I don't know what they did with them but I never ate there. LOL
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/06/19 11:56 PM

As a museum preparatory you had a EAT LIST as a "Bucket List" to check off after you prepared a specimen and sampled it.

My "Bucket List " still has a WOOLY Mammoth on it for a sample dinner.
Posted By: Bigbuck

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/07/19 01:29 AM

I eat all the bobcats that I catch. Battered up and seasoned with cajun seasoning, it's better than black snake.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/07/19 01:38 AM

I've had people in Idaho tell me they would never pass up a Mt lion. But, ruffed grouse is at the top of the list along with blue grouse and spruce grouse I've had from mtns of Colorado, and wild quail. Yeah we have a few here.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/07/19 01:39 AM

I eat bobcat. Good stuff. Would certainly try lynx if I ever had the opportunity.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/07/19 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
Some folks here eat Mink and otter, I heard of some guys eating fox down on the coast.

That's pretty rough. No wild animals, even vultures around here will eat otter off the dead pile. Not even bacteria. They just mummify.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/07/19 11:59 PM

I have ate bobcat, lynx and mt lion. It is good. I learned if you catch a tom, and he smells like a tom, he will taste like he smells. Kind of like boar hog tastes, just stronger.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/08/19 12:57 AM

I thought this thread would have brought Mike Flick out a hiding.
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/08/19 01:23 AM

I just fried up some young female back straps yesterday. It was my first time to try it and I must say it was very good. Mild flavored and light meat. Will do it again.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/08/19 01:34 AM

Cougars are worth shooting if for no other reason than to eat them. I made a bobcat sandwich once and gave it to a skiing buddy of mine while we where up skiing. He thought he was eating a turkey sandwich until I told him it was b'cat. He just shrugged his shoulders and said it tasted great to him.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/08/19 06:52 AM

. I don't like bear; like eating a black lab...

I can only assume you have a baseline by which to compare smile. I haven’t had black lab specifically, but decent bear is much superior to the dog I’ve tried. Could have been the way they cooked the dog though...
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/08/19 07:57 AM

"Seems gross to me."
Therein lies the problem. Having never tried it, how could one know?? This world needs less self absorbed fantasies and a whole lot more reality.

Besides, why waste good food?! We should use everything we can of every critter we kill. Especially the meat and offal.
Posted By: Sshaffer

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/08/19 10:18 AM

I of course have not ate every meat. However, there is no meat I would not eat. People avoid animal products based on a mental perception. Thankfully, I don’t have that affliction.

As an example, most people love chicken. Chickens are not the most hygenic animals if you’ve not noticed. I love chicken!!

Also, if I, or someone I trust, buthchers the animal I know it is clean. Do you know this about the meat you buy in the package??

Also, cooking kills about everything, so unless you are eating raw lynx, it comes down to your taste buds. For example, I have and will again eat bison. It just is the least favorite meat I have eaten.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/08/19 11:27 AM

lynx meat is pretty good. Never had the motivation to try wolf, fox, or wolverine yet but I've heard white fox Is good eating. I'd have to be really hungry to think about eating marten, mink or otter too. I did technically try wolf I guess but that was by accident. A tiny chunk of fat fell into the coffee pot one year while skinning an obese wolf in a dimly lit cabin. That was one smooth pot of coffee.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/08/19 11:38 AM

How do you know what black lab taste like?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/08/19 12:53 PM

What ...from Mn. & no venison?
Posted By: cci

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/08/19 01:08 PM

I dont eat anything that mainly eats meat. Anything with eyes on the front of the face is a predaror and i dont like to eat. All the good stuff like rabbit squirrel cattle deer eyes are on the side. Predators front prey side.
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/08/19 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan McLeod
lynx meat is pretty good. Never had the motivation to try wolf, fox, or wolverine yet but I've heard white fox Is good eating. I'd have to be really hungry to think about eating marten, mink or otter too. I did technically try wolf I guess but that was by accident. A tiny chunk of fat fell into the coffee pot one year while skinning an obese wolf in a dimly lit cabin. That was one smooth pot of coffee.

Keto freindly my friend....lol
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/08/19 01:37 PM

I would judge it by what animals eat. The cats and dogs love beaver and muskrat, they will chew on coon rarely if it's the only choice. I noticed that the young coon get eaten, by the cats and chickens but the old ones, not so much. And I even once saw a cat chewing on a fox leg but he had a disgusted look on his face, lol. I have cooked up young beavers and such, but have zero desire to eat coon, possum or fox. Might try bobcat sometime.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/08/19 01:44 PM

Google image search:

"Bush meat"

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/08/19 02:58 PM

I raise and finish corn fed angus, So I have little use for other meats. I do enjoy an Elk steak or roast, some bear. I have tried Mt lion and bobcat. I would place them right along side of grass fed beef.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/08/19 03:05 PM

Well I'm not the best cook, so it could have been better, but I ate on this cat for days. Darn things have a lot of meat on them.
BBQ Bobcat Video
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/08/19 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
I have ate bobcat, lynx and mt lion. It is good. I learned if you catch a tom, and he smells like a tom, he will taste like he smells. Kind of like boar hog tastes, just stronger.

Interesting that you mention boar hog tasting stronger. I talked to a fellow just yesterday who makes an annual hog hunting trip to Tennessee each year. He said he will only shoot sows because boars taste strong.

Re: Cooking lynx for a meal Why?? - 02/08/19 05:31 PM

Some boars are hard to even walk up to.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums