Home

blake&lamb

Posted By: rod-dog

blake&lamb - 02/11/19 02:25 PM

Did Blake & Lamb ever produce #11's...?
Posted By: pcr2

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 02:27 PM

i think but you got me wondering.i'll look.
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 02:29 PM

I’m wandering too.
Posted By: 160user

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 02:32 PM

Yes, they did.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 02:34 PM

So who makes Blake and Lamb now? I’ve seen them for sale, I think it is victor. Are they not as well made now?
Posted By: Furback

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 02:42 PM

Yes they did. I bought a dozen back in the late 60's- very early 70's.
Posted By: iaduckhntr

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 04:22 PM

Yeppers they did, still have 10 or so of them.
Dennis

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 04:36 PM

Thank you...i need to start looking then...like those old B/L's
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 04:56 PM

Oneida Victor of Ohio is currently making traps with the name "Blake & Lamb on the pan. These are NOT like the original B&L

Original B&L have 3 distinguishing features

- a flat cross piece with a post pan. Newer B&L have a humped cross piece and clamp pan, like a Victor.
- lock link chain. Newer B&L have a twin-loop chain, like a Victor.
- more rounded spring end. Newer B&L have a more tapered spring end, like a Victor.

If you take a trap and hold it in profile view at eye level, you can see the shape of the spring end. Newer traps are V shaped. Older B&L are more U shape.

Original B&L made 4 types of # 1 long spring traps -

Single long, single jaw
Single long, double jaw
Double long, single jaw
Double long, double jaw

All of them are out there on the used market. You just have to keep looking..
Posted By: waggler

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 08:54 PM

The old B&L had a very good spring design, I don't know why the "Victor" people can't make the springs like the old B&L.
Posted By: mole

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 09:04 PM

IDS B & L Same design as the #11 Victor Weight 9 lbs. Price $1.02 each Doz $10.25
Hawbakers 1969 -1970 Catalog
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by mole
IDS B & L Same design as the #11 Victor Weight 9 lbs. Price $1.02 each Doz $10.25
Hawbakers 1969 -1970 Catalog

$10.25 a dozen... you can maybe get one for that price now.

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 09:23 PM

Any guesses on approximate cost of old/used #11' s...?
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by rod-dog
Did Blake & Lamb ever produce #11's...?

Only the best ones ever.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 09:33 PM

The old rounded spring #1 longs that B and L made are amazing. Great Coon traps. Very strong. I have a couple dozen. I wish I had more!

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by dirtydogtrapping
[Linked Image]
they also made #1 stop loss traps.

Got a bunch of them,best ones ever.

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 10:20 PM

In my experience selling used traps, Trappers either really like or really dislike that model of B&L single long stoploss. The folks that dislike those stoploss don't like the way the guard part is set up. Not sure why.

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
In my experience selling used traps, Trappers either really like or really dislike that model of B&L single long stoploss. The folks that dislike those stoploss don't like the way the guard part is set up. Not sure why.

Because they don't use it properly.I wedge the delay bar under the little bent part of the jaws sticking out the front of the frame.This way the stop loss bar never fails to trip.

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 10:27 PM

Which has probably resulted in losing muskrats or whacking their knuckles trying to set the trap. That wire bar packs a punch. LOL
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 10:43 PM

I cut my delay pin short and stick it in the hole in the end of the frame post.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: blake&lamb - 02/11/19 10:45 PM

TMI laugh

Re: blake&lamb - 02/12/19 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
Which has probably resulted in losing muskrats or whacking their knuckles trying to set the trap. That wire bar packs a punch. LOL
A lot of guys would slide the delay bar over the stoploss spring and through the little hole in the front of the frame.That would work if you only stick it through a quarter inch or so,but I saw folks putting the delay bar all the way in and that usually results in it not pulling out at all thus not releasing the stoploss bar at all.Better the way I do it.Always releases.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: blake&lamb - 02/12/19 12:17 AM

I remember the Victor stoploss traps in the 70s. What a complicated piece of junk. The guard pushed up on the pan, and the pan had to swing all the way up for the guard to release (what if the animals foot was blocking it?). If you did get one to work better get a blueprint drawn up.....

Re: blake&lamb - 02/12/19 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
I remember the Victor stoploss traps in the 70s. What a complicated piece of junk. The guard pushed up on the pan, and the pan had to swing all the way up for the guard to release (what if the animals foot was blocking it?). If you did get one to work better get a blueprint drawn up.....

They had that hump in the stoploss bar that the delay pin was suoppsed to go through,,but like you said if you set them the way designed you were lucky to get the pan to go down.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: blake&lamb - 02/12/19 12:43 AM

I had a muskrat laying dead beside a victor sl once. I must have set it backwards (layed the stoploss over the jaws instead of under) and the stoploss went off before he had a chance to get caught.It still got him....This was way back 40 years ago when I was a newb.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums