Home

Trail Camera Thief

Posted By: bass10

Trail Camera Thief - 02/11/19 02:28 PM

Well guys got sole permission to hunt 102 acres this year. Hunted it pretty hard but still figuring out movements, etc. A lot of deer but a tough property to hunt for reasons that I don't
need to get into. My problem is I've had three trail cameras stolen from it this year. One this past weekend I had cable locked on but the cable just goes through plastic rings and they busted
them off and left the cable and strap on tree. Theres an Amish farm on one side that the owner has two sons, I kicked the dad and one son off that had a blind and feeder right on my edge but
on my property. I still am in contact with the dad and he is aware of my problem. Not sure if its the sons but somewhat likely. On the other side is another farm that two guys hunt but they'd
have a hard time getting to where I'm at without going thru the Amish farm. Then road frontage. I have a camera in a lockbox that sends pics right to my phone, however I don't think cutting down
the tree is beyond them. Any ideas? I really want to catch the jack wagon then things will get ugly, this is just ridiculous.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Trail Camera Thief - 02/11/19 02:38 PM

Hang a couple more....then Super camo a hidden one up real high at each one Aiming downwards. Unless you can sit there all day every day its the only way.

Re: Trail Camera Thief - 02/11/19 02:49 PM

Yes I am thinking that route. The problem with sitting there is they see my truck and never enter?
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Trail Camera Thief - 02/11/19 02:55 PM

Lock boxes, spray on 3M adhesive and leaves/moss/bark for camo. Set the cameras with a ladder to get them out of reach.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Trail Camera Thief - 02/11/19 02:59 PM

What 330 said. This camera is about eighteen feet off the ground standing guard on my property. Looks are deceiving. It jumps out at you because I zoomed in on it but when you're standing on the ground looking for it you really have to concentrate to find it.

Even though the land is posted hard, we still get people who refuse to honor the signs. It picks up a license plate with no trouble at all.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: trapre

Re: Trail Camera Thief - 02/11/19 03:03 PM

If it's Amish hanging a second one high up in a tree won't work. They wear brimmed straw hats. You won't see who it is and it may lead you to accuse the neighbors even though it could be different Amish. I had to do this once and put one in a visible spot on a 4-wheeler path that they must have walked on. Then I put a camera well hidden in laurel right across from the visible one. I would wait till there is leaves on stuff before putting any cameras out again, that way you can hide them better.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Trail Camera Thief - 02/11/19 04:01 PM

Hang the one that sends the pic to your phone up in the tree. If you can find someone that has a junkie old out dated trail cam buy it for bait. Hang it in plain site and mount the text sender above it . Then it will send the pic instantly to you and if possible catch them on the property. !!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Trail Camera Thief - 02/11/19 04:07 PM

If it is an Amish person, take proof to their local Bishop. The public shaming ceremony they have to go through is brutal and they won't repeat offend.

When I was right out of college, I worked as an operations manager for Kmart. One of our security personnel, Scott, caught an Amish guy stealing Halloween candy. Scott reported it to the local Amish Bishop and was invited to the shaming. They had the 20 year old Amish thief stand up in front of the congregation and for close to an hour, other Amish people stood up and berated him for things he had done wrong over his entire life. Scott said that not long into the shaming the Amish thief was a crying, slobbering mess and that by the end the guy was totally devastated. Scott said he would think twice for turning in another Amish person, unless they stole something really big. He felt bad for the thief. Public shaming works.

Keith

Re: Trail Camera Thief - 02/11/19 05:54 PM

I will try to pick up a couple next to nothing cams and try that route. It may be tough this year since our deer season is over but maybe towards the end of summer. I wish I could
now so I'm not stewing for the next 5 months.
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: Trail Camera Thief - 02/11/19 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
If it is an Amish person, take proof to their local Bishop. The public shaming ceremony they have to go through is brutal and they won't repeat offend.

When I was right out of college, I worked as an operations manager for Kmart. One of our security personnel, Scott, caught an Amish guy stealing Halloween candy. Scott reported it to the local Amish Bishop and was invited to the shaming. They had the 20 year old Amish thief stand up in front of the congregation and for close to an hour, other Amish people stood up and berated him for things he had done wrong over his entire life. Scott said that not long into the shaming the Amish thief was a crying, slobbering mess and that by the end the guy was totally devastated. Scott said he would think twice for turning in another Amish person, unless they stole something really big. He felt bad for the thief. Public shaming works.

Keith

wow never knew that option. i may just put that in my back pocket! Thanks!
Posted By: JoeRJr

Re: Trail Camera Thief - 02/12/19 03:57 AM

I've got a dead trail cam that you can have for the price of shipping it to you. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll find out how much it would be to ship it.

Joe
Posted By: SkunkQuillWant

Re: Trail Camera Thief - 02/12/19 06:12 AM

You can buy a device for $40 or so, a GPS tracker. It's made to put on dogs, its very small. It will send a text message when it's moved outside of a designated perimeter. I took and put one in a 2X2 hollowed it out, and put it under an aluminum ladder step. If the transmitter won't conceal inside of the camera you could put some other bait beside it, something worth stealing.

The battery stays charged up for about a week. I bet once you find out who steals the "bait" you'll find your other ones.

I recently put a hidden camera in my trunk at walmart, sure enough, first time the person loading the groceries took the money in the back.

So... don't be upset, just look at it as a game, and I'm sure you can catch the crook! Other devices could be made also where you could track it, and when they open it, it would set off a tear gas canister.

Here is my video of the BAD GUY i caught!

If your lazy, put a nice coating of skunk quill on the camera, if they did steal it, you could probably track it down by smell. smile
Posted By: eastwood44mag

Re: Trail Camera Thief - 02/12/19 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by SkunkQuillWant
If your lazy, put a nice coating of skunk quill on the camera, if they did steal it, you could probably track it down by smell. smile

Roll it around in poison ivy. Much less noticeable until it's too late.
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Trail Camera Thief - 02/12/19 01:11 PM

Check out SpyHighMounts.com
Posted By: skippyturtle

Re: Trail Camera Thief - 02/12/19 02:14 PM

Used a spot trace tracker to catch a cam thief a couple years ago. It sends a message when it is moved and pings every so often. We knew the whole time he had it and exactly where it was right down to being put in a red pickup truck. He got arrested about an hour after he stole it.

Re: Trail Camera Thief - 02/12/19 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by JoeRJr
I've got a dead trail cam that you can have for the price of shipping it to you. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll find out how much it would be to ship it.

Joe

Thanks for the offer but I have an older, big Moultrie that I'm thinking of putting a spot trace tracker into like skippy mentioned. Gonna be tough at this point since deer is over but I plan on
baiting them anyhow.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums