Home

Need a machine in winter what do you advice

Posted By: snowy

Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/11/19 10:03 PM

I'm looking for a outfit that I can get around in hilly, heavy snow area for winter months. Of course I don't want to spend a lot on a machine, will only be using it for a few months each year when the going gets tough.

So, what would you suggest I'm not big on snow machines so that option is out. I was thinking of an old pickup and installing tracks on it, a good side by side etc.. Give your best take and keep in mind cost of the unit.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/11/19 10:18 PM

pig castrator.
Posted By: DaYooper14

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/11/19 10:20 PM

budget?
Posted By: hdwolfer

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/11/19 10:20 PM

buy a mule
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/11/19 10:21 PM

Cheap skidoo check the track first!
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/11/19 10:21 PM

Geo tracker with the tracks that fit a side by side. It works, but voids the warranty on the tracks, but they'll sell hubs for that all day long.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/11/19 10:22 PM

Buy a snowmobile. Best option for winter. Check around states that haven’t been getting usual amounts of snow, should be some motivated sellers.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/11/19 10:23 PM

Argo with cat tracks.

Originally Posted by pcr2
pig castrator.

Why not the bat mobile with tracks?
Posted By: danny clifton

argo with a cab and tracks
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/11/19 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
argo with a cab and tracks

and after the first mile of travel you break down and will have a good ground blind never to be moved.

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/11/19 11:51 PM

worst problem I had was an exhaust leak. bout did me in one day before I figured out what was wrong. probably should have went to the hospital. paid a guy to let me breathe oxygen instead for about an hour from his torch. had a throttle cable break one time. used a nut from a trap pan to smash for a ferrule and ran a piece of snare into the cab. pulled the cable to accelerate so I could get back to my pick up and trailer. got more than one pickup broke down tales, snowshoe broke tales, chainsaw wouldn't start etc. anybody that has never walked out aint used many vehicles to trap from.

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 12:12 AM

Not much help so far. LOL Thanks

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 12:56 AM

Snowy that argo got me in and out of a lot of country. Unlike a smowmobile you don't need snow. Will go across dirt mud no problem. It floats.. I wouldn't want to cross anything with much current that was deep but ponds and creeks slow rivers its fine. They will go up and over beaver dams. Pretty nice when driving- following a froze creek. Not fast like a snowmobile but they turn good. Can haul quite a bit in them. I hauled it with a trailer behind my pickup. Just drive on and off. if getting on a paved road I could tie it down on the trailer in under 5 minutes with ratchet straps. Like every machine ever made you need to keep up on stuff. Oil chains grease stuff etc. if you get a chance to go for a ride in one you owe it to yourself to have a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwHdz9raHtI
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 01:17 AM

When I hunted Newfoundland every year, there were three times we put two bull moose in an Argo. Plus 2 hunters and a guide. I hunted 10 different weeks with them, they never left me stranded. Burnt up the bearings in a transmission on one, but we made it back to the truck. We used the 8 wheeled versions, but I’ve rode in them when they’re fitted with tracks also. The downside of them is they are somewhat loud, and top out at 15-16 mph. You gotta take care of the wheel bearings and chains, but maintenance isn’t a big issue. They will float, go over ungodly rough terrain , and are almost impossible to flip. Easy on gas, and I’ve run them with half of the tire flat.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 01:28 AM

Real small Toyota truck with big wide tires? How deep the snow?
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 01:43 AM

Horse. Plenty of em around you! I'd say from the sounds of it a little Toyota with chains might be the way to go.

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 01:44 AM

I will looing into the Argo.

The snow depth can vary from year to year week to week but anywhere from 18' to 36'' plus.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 01:53 AM

The problem with any wheeled vehicle is going to be the same, you're going to be riding snow on your skid plate. If I were ruling out a snowmobile, the next thing I'd be looking at would be tracks on an ATV. I have a snowmobile and an ATV. Anything much over a foot of snow and the ATV is out of commission. Tracks cost considerably more than a good used sled.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HondaXR250

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 01:55 AM

Always wanted something like this, and it has a bed for skinning on....Tiny truck

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 02:01 AM

that would likely work in OH honda.
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by hdwolfer
buy a mule

If I knew how to keep it alive in the winter I would totally buy a mule. There was a Greek horse around here when I was a kid and it managed to feed itself.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by snowy
I'm looking for a outfit that I can get around in hilly, heavy snow area for winter months. Of course I don't want to spend a lot on a machine, will only be using it for a few months each year when the going gets tough.

So, what would you suggest I'm not big on snow machines so that option is out. I was thinking of an old pickup and installing tracks on it, a good side by side etc.. Give your best take and keep in mind cost of the unit.

You can get a darn good pair of snowshoes for less than a couple hundred bucks, they use no fossil fuel, heart healthy, leave no track on the land and with a good compass you can get most any where.

Zim
Posted By: red mt

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 02:34 AM

Snowy a wheeler and put tracks on it best of both worlds go across bare ground in drifty country and deep snow ...use the wheels until you can't,,,, last 2 winters no need for tracks
Side ×side is pretty spendy with track on it.

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 02:38 AM

broom

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Zim

You can get a darn good pair of snowshoes for less than a couple hundred bucks, they use no fossil fuel, heart healthy, leave no track on the land and with a good compass you can get most any where.

Zim

I snowshoed into a beaver flowage set the other day. I guess I put on about three miles in my travels. I have three different styles of snowshoes with the Ojibwa being my favorite.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: corky

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 03:05 AM

I've owned an Argo for 10 years and no problems. With tracks it's almost unstuckable. Is that a word?
Posted By: BlueLineTrapper

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 03:17 AM

Bet if you took my '88 Enticer longtrack for a rip you'd change your mind! grin

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by Zim

Zim

I snowshoed into a beaver flowage set the other day. I guess I put on about three miles in my travels. I have three different styles of snowshoes with the Ojibwa being my favorite.

[Linked Image]

Ya, I did that today also, and had 4.5 miles recorded on the phone. LOL I really do enjoy traveling with snowshoe's but as I get older the snow seems to get deeper and the trips seem to get longer. It is more the packing in, then just the walk and eventually will have to find an easier way to commute in winter months any way.

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by snowy
Ya, I did that today also, and had 4.5 miles recorded on the phone. LOL I really do enjoy traveling with snowshoe's but as I get older the snow seems to get deeper and the trips seem to get longer. It is more the packing in, then just the walk and eventually will have to find an easier way to commute in winter months any way.

I'm fifty-nine and don't get around like I used to. Bitter about it, too! Let us know when you make a decision on your ride.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 05:06 AM

That guy from Idaho? Used a Toyota with almost flat tires to run mountain roads with snow
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 05:09 AM

The nice thing about snowshoes is after a few trips you can walk the hardpacked trail then like a sidewalk!
Posted By: Jcotrapper

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 05:18 AM

Polaris ranger 1000 is the best overall. Can use it for everything year round

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 05:43 AM

200+ horsepower? You can check traps awfully fast

Attached picture 2287AF21-8673-40B6-88E8-4A7FF4F295D7.jpeg
Posted By: SkunkQuillWant

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 05:56 AM

Ohh come on.. I use to ride my 4wheel drive Polaris in snow up to the headlights. Snowmobiles is useless for the times where there is no snow, or you have to travel down a road.
Posted By: aknome

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 09:53 AM

5k+ for side by side tracks. Add the side by side and 20K invested but can use year round. Argo with tracks & cab 25 to 40K. Mattracks for a pickup are well over 5K. A good snowmachine can be bought new for under 10K and can use it for many years. You're not going far with any vehicle on wheels in 18-36 + inches of snow.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 10:15 AM

why are you ruling out a snowmobile ?
Posted By: HondaXR250

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 10:50 AM

What do you mean?
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 10:55 AM

[Linked Image]

I beaver trapped a section of a large farm in December and got to ride and drive this brand new bad boy that the farmer owned, he has two. He said there is a lot of maintenance problems with the tracks, bearings etc.- great in snow but he preferred wheels on all other terrain.
My side-by-side went through everything we did with the Kubota (no snow at the time)- but the heated cab felt good and it was fun! if you watch Trapping Inc on Amazon Prime- looks like that Argo would be hard to beat.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 11:32 AM

[Linked Image]
One of these might work
Posted By: Mac

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 12:03 PM

I spent a lot of years and covered a lot of miles on snow shoes. I hear you about wanting some way to get around. About 2009 I decided to get a snowmobile and talked to several dealers telling them I wanted something to go through snow, and not always be on a trail. I wanted it to cut wood and trap.
What I should have done was talk to someone like White17 that has actually had spent a lot of miles on one of those rigs.

I ended up with a wide track/ long track that is WAY too heavy. If I were to buy something new it would be a much lighter machine. Since then I have talked to White and got some ideas.
Also, maybe I am way off base, but I found just because I had drive a four wheeler for a few years and a truck/car for about 50 years did not mean I knew how to drive a snowmobile.
There is a learning curve and I still don't think I am done learning. There are lots of do's and don'ts to avoid getting stuck or rolling one over. Rolled that heavy beast over as I tried to climb a snow bank by a tarred road (heading out to cut wood) when I really did not know what I was doing. Like a dumb butt I slide down the bank and rolled it onto the tar. That was a rib breaking and painful experience. Did not hurt the machine a bit but it frigged me up for about a week. I just did not know how to drive the darn thing.

When I can swing it I am hoping to get a side by side or a newer 4 wheeler and some tracks. But as mentioned above, quite pricey.
Good luck.

Mac

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 01:46 PM

Thanks for all the great ideas and will consider all of them and see what will work for me. Here is a small machine and will see what this unit will cost.
https://youtu.be/1YcFKTm8Jl4?t=3

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 01:48 PM

mount a seat on a used snowblower.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 01:53 PM

What was that machine that pulled you on a stand up trailer?

It was a Canadian built machine. There were different sizes.

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 01:54 PM

tractor whistle

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 01:57 PM

^ LOL >> one of the uses for a machine is a 2 mile two track trail to get into ranch in winter. If I mounted a seat on that snow blower I would have to pack 3 or 4 lunches and camp out before I got there. LOL

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 02:05 PM

i 'm a bored Redneck,its not my fault.hopefully the wife makes it home soon so i can go to the shop and work.weather isn't nice here at all and she has an hour drive over a hill to get home from work.have cleaned the house with nervous energy.even put in new hay for her. laugh
Posted By: J. Brooks

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 02:33 PM

I like my ranger with tracks. We tend to get a mix of open ground and big drifts. The drifts are too big for wheels and there is too much open for a sled. The tracks run on anything. Not going to set any speed records but it will get me everywhere I need to go and a bunch of places I probably shouldn't.

I keep wheels on it as long as possible and then switch to tracks when we get some serious weather. Major pain to install solo but with a buddy they go on pretty quick, maybe an hour or so.

[Linked Image]

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 02:56 PM

Yep that is what I need and I know that. I know a guy that just got one like yours and I beleive is was around 25K plus. I just didn't want to spend that much so been checking options. I have driven and spent many hours in Thiokol's over the years and they are un-stoppable and really can go anywhere.
Posted By: J. Brooks

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 04:14 PM

Mine is an older machine with new tracks. I didn't skimp on the tracks because I figure I can always upgrade the machine. Total into it was around $8500 by the time I got it to my place. I ran it for a year with no doors and decided I was tired of freezing so I spent a few hundred and made some doors myself.

I ran cats last year with a guy that had a polaris 800 crew with the same tracks as mine. His bigger machine was a maintenance nightmare. Broken axles, broken bolts on the hub assembly, tracks walking off the (typically in a creek smile ), etc. His may have just been a lemon but he also is a full throttle everywhere kinda guy. I just baby mine and have been happy with the performance. Does not do great if there is ice under a thin layer of snow. I believe you can stud them which would probably allow you to climb a tree. Turning radius also sucks and they are too wide for some of the ranch trails we lion hunt on.

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 04:23 PM

Yep, I looking that way now myself. In my case where I need to go there wouldn't be any abuse either and if taken care of there should only be regular maintenance.
Very nice!

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 04:30 PM

snowy...you got me looking at trail groomers. You can buy one of those used cheaper than you can outfit a new side-by-side. I hope I hit Powerball.

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 05:09 PM

oooooh,bet ya could pick up a good used zamboni up cheap. wink
Posted By: Osky

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 05:56 PM

Snowy I think Posco and a few others have it. If snow is your concern, and sometimes little if any a sled is maybe the answer. With heated clothing, heated seats, heated handles and helmets they have it all these days it's incredible plug it all in to your sled and go. Some very good used units out there for less than you think, I've bought 2 this year myself. Note from the far north guys thin snow or even no snow does not stop them.
At your age with proper care you won't need another.

Osky

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 07:43 PM

I found the machine. A Snow Dog. All sizes.

https://www.snowdog.com/
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 07:47 PM

One of those vehicles Sue drives in the snow on Life Below Zero. I don't know what it's called, but it's pretty mobile in most conditions.

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by seniortrap
I found the machine. A Snow Dog. All sizes.

Nice! How pricey? The idea has been around for quite some time. A deceased friend of mine had four or five of them kicking around in various needs of repair.
[Linked Image]

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 07:57 PM

Three grand. Not bad.

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 07:57 PM

They run on a Briggs engine. Easy replacement of the engine if needed.

Look at the site for options etc.

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by seniortrap
They run on a Briggs engine. Easy replacement of the engine if needed.

Put a Honda engine on one of them and I'm sold. According to their site, they have dealers near me. Thanks for the heads up.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 08:08 PM

[Linked Image]

Snowy- ask Sue to take you for a ride to see if you like it first. Just remember- "Drive it like you stole it"
Posted By: Osky

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/12/19 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Eagleye
[Linked Image]

Snowy- ask Sue to take you for a ride to see if you like it first. Just remember- "Drive it like you stole it"

That hurts my eyes.

Osky

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/13/19 05:45 PM

When that woman talks I MUTE IT! And turn on Captions.
Posted By: montana17

Re: Need a machine in winter what do you advice - 02/13/19 06:05 PM

MDU has a surplus auction and some times they have utv with tracks up for auction. Most go pretty reasonable. Just look on line for MDU Surplus actions, when you set up an account they send you emails when they have auctions, Just pay attention to where the item is located.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums