Home

U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama

Posted By: Finster

U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 12:16 AM

Jobs, Jobs and more JOBS!

U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama, Thanks to Tariffs

United States Steel said Monday it will resume construction of a furnace in Alabama, adding 1.6 million tons of steelmaking capacity and hundreds of jobs.
Construction on U.S. Steel’s mill in Jefferson County, Alabama, was suspended in 2015 after China’s overproduction caused a global steel glut that sent prices plummeting. The tariffs the Trump administration imposed last year have reduced the flow of foreign steel in the U.S. and allowed domestic makers to expand again.
U.S. Steel Chief Executive Officer David Burritt said in a statement:
Thanks to the President’s strong trade actions and improved market conditions, support from the United Steelworkers and incentives from the State of Alabama and the Jefferson County Commission, we are excited to add EAF capabilities to our company’s footprint and provide sustainable tubular solutions for our customers.
EAF refers to “election arc furnaces,” which make steel from scrap metal instead of iron ore. They are considered more energy efficient than traditional blast furnaces and can be restarted once shut down. Older furnaces often had to be retired once they were shut down.
The Alabama plant will be the company’s second major expansion following the imposition of steel tariffs. The company restarted two blast furnaces at its mill near St. Louis last year.
U.S. Steel said the electric furnace and related casting equipment will cost about $215 million and will add about 150 workers to the existing 750-person workforce.
The market for tubular steel is closely tied to the U.S. energy market because the products are used at oil and natural gas wells. The tariffs have cut foreign supply while a recovery in energy prices has boosted demand.

Source: https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2019/02/11/u-s-steel-firing-up-furnace-alabama-thanks-tariffs/
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 12:22 AM

Awesome!
Posted By: pcr2

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 12:23 AM

cool
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 12:31 AM

Good Deal !!!
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 12:31 AM

Tired of winning? ...Me neither.

Posted By: grumley701

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 12:32 AM

The train Keeps on rollin...
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 12:44 AM

I worked at Steel plant in gadsden in the 90s . It went under so I went to work for the railroad. Now that i work for myself trapping for a living, I wished i had went in the ADC bussiness sooner
Posted By: dogdown

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 12:45 AM

Trump's fault? grin
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 01:00 AM

Maybe they will be expanding the tall steel fence building materials.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 01:09 AM

that is good news. country cant run without steel. we need to make our own again.

hope some textile manufacturing comes back. we grow a lot of cotton but can no longer make cotton cloth or tshirts and jeans. produce a lot of cattle too. but the hides go to china and come back as boots. need to reopen tanneries and boot-shoe factories
Posted By: 4zebra61

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 01:09 AM

^^^^^^^^^
That’s what I thought too!
Posted By: warrior

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 02:08 AM

That's the old Fairfield Works where my grandfather worked open hearth and my father worked the front office after college. I was born in the company hospital, Lloyd Noland.
Long history there.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 04:07 AM

Great!
Posted By: white17

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 04:27 AM

There is, of course, the flip side of higher steel input costs, due to tariffs, for all of our industries that use steel.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 04:57 AM

Was a big steel mill on the South side of Chicago called Acme steel I always thought that was where the coyote shopped at.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 05:04 AM

Lol!
Posted By: SkunkQuillWant

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 05:58 AM

And when trump leaves office.. guess what. And even excluding that, stock in some of the largest steel mills in the USA have declined by 1/2 . There is a glut of steel on the market, and the future looks even worse.

I would love to know the thinking behind these companies starting up the steel mills, knowing in 6 years, it will be back to normal, or worse

If it cost to much to make something in the USA out of steel, you get it made elsewhere. Canada buys steel from china, makes stuff, then we import it from there. You can't stop the free market.

The world is not going to give us brownie points just because of our tarrifs
Posted By: Art S

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 06:07 AM

Doubt Ivanka would do that to her fathers legacy .
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by SkunkQuillWant
And when trump leaves office.. guess what. And even excluding that, stock in some of the largest steel mills in the USA have declined by 1/2 . There is a glut of steel on the market, and the future looks even worse.

I would love to know the thinking behind these companies starting up the steel mills, knowing in 6 years, it will be back to normal, or worse

If it cost to much to make something in the USA out of steel, you get it made elsewhere. Canada buys steel from china, makes stuff, then we import it from there. You can't stop the free market.

The world is not going to give us brownie points just because of our tarrifs

War machines are made of steel. It is in our National interest to have more than we need. LLL
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 04:11 PM

Excellent, same line of work I do. I operate a electric furnace but for platinum and palladium. Hot and dusty gassy work but good $$$$ and excellent benny's.
Posted By: squacks

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 04:36 PM

Steel is a strategic material and we must maintain the ability to produce at least minimum strategic amounts of it. The production of it also requires several types of raw material that will employ miners again. One more thing is being able to control the quality.
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 04:48 PM

I wonder if they will be able to keep a workforce? or will it be like the rest of the country and have to rely on migrant workers.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 04:50 PM

Making America Great Again!
Posted By: BORGY

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 04:55 PM

Main reason is we need quality steel. Yes China will always be cheaper priced, but the quality is just as cheap or nonexistent . Back in 2000 when manufacturing took a giant dump, shops laid off or completely went out of business because China promised way cheaper prices products. It took 19yrs, but that work is coming back because China cannot produce the quality needed.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by squacks
Steel is a strategic material and we must maintain the ability to produce at least minimum strategic amounts of it. The production of it also requires several types of raw material that will employ miners again. One more thing is being able to control the quality.

X2 iron ore mines need to get going again, the smelter I work at us to get taconite (iron ore) from north minn. Mines but have trouble getting it now. Now they buy anaconda slag by the truck load , works ok but furnace runs hotter and is smokey when slagging off.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 05:38 PM

dang trump is just ruining.....wait. oh nevermind lol
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 05:46 PM

We won WWII because we had everything we needed and could get what we did not have and the skilled labor to make what we needed but with us being dependent on other countries for our daily needs it just puts us in a bad position.

Just remember how it was sold as a good idea for the Country and the only ones that benefited by sending our jobs overseas was the idiots telling us it was a good idea.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
We won WWII because we had everything we needed and could get what we did not have and the skilled labor to make what we needed but with us being dependent on other countries for our daily needs it just puts us in a bad position.

Just remember how it was sold as a good idea for the Country and the only ones that benefited by sending our jobs overseas was the idiots telling us it was a good idea.

Just retired few months ago with 40 years in the Steel Workers Union.Go Trump!!!!
Posted By: warrior

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 06:11 PM

There's a rolling mill at that site and Bham has a long history of steel plants.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: U.S. Steel Firing Up Furnace in Alabama - 02/12/19 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by BORGY
Main reason is we need quality steel. Yes China will always be cheaper priced, but the quality is just as cheap or nonexistent . Back in 2000 when manufacturing took a giant dump, shops laid off or completely went out of business because China promised way cheaper prices products. It took 19yrs, but that work is coming back because China cannot produce the quality needed.

That and the tax breaks for these large companies. High corporate taxes are what drove many of them out of the country.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums