Home

**** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ?

Posted By: SkunkQuillWant

**** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/17/19 08:12 PM

Anyone have any stats or guesstimates on the demographics of hunters/trappers ? Do any city people trap?

Wonder what the sex/racial breakdown is, on hunting?

Attached picture cityfolks.jpeg
Posted By: adam m

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/17/19 08:18 PM

I don't consider myself a city person even though I've lived in the city all my life. I know other people whi live in the city that trap too.
Lots of hunters and anglers here in this city.
Posted By: warrior

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/17/19 08:23 PM

City trapping is where the money is.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/17/19 08:26 PM

I don’t have statistics. But, more than you think trap and hunt.

Sex/race breakdown. I’ve seen a good variety of all races and sexes come to the trapping and hunter education classes. Ive seen lots of moms with their kids the last couple years, it is nice to see. We also have a program called becoming an outdoors woman, it has been very successful.

Looking to do mentored hunts and trap lines to get older folks (over 18) involved in the outdoors.

Anyone in Delaware looking to be a volunteer, send me a PM.
Posted By: Muskrat Love

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/17/19 08:45 PM

L
Originally Posted by warrior

Warrior,

You are ABSOLUTELY correct on that's where the money is.

As a young man, living in Newburg Hts., and trapping the Ohio Canal and Cuyahoga River near downtown Cleveland, I had 300-400 'rat and 100+ coon catches a year. Never lost a trap to "Sneakums", but did get checked by police as to "What the heck are you doing?".Made some nice mink,catches too.

Well, that was 60 plus years ago, and the same area is all a Federal Park now. ....... NO HUNTING OR TRAPPING! Hiking, biking, and walking only.

Still lots of 'rats, mink and coon. People would be shocked to see the wildlife that's right under their noses. My buddy took a 180" buck right across the street from a Menards store. Went in the dark of a morning and had to wait 'till night dark to drag it out.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/17/19 08:48 PM

So what do you trap skunkquillwant?
Posted By: Pike River

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/17/19 08:49 PM

Define city.

Way back when...many many trappers were city people.

Today, many agricultural people and many people that rely or work in a city but still love trapping just like before. The problem now is that suburbia has made trappable area further away for city folks to trap.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/17/19 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Muskrat Love
L

Warrior,

As a young man, living in Newburg Hts., and trapping the Ohio Canal and Cuyahoga River near downtown Cleveland, I had 300-400 'rat and 100+ coon catches a year. Never lost a trap to "Sneakums", but did get checked by police as to "What the heck are you doing?".Made some nice mink,catches too.

Well, that was 60 plus years ago, and the same area is all a Federal Park now. ....... NO HUNTING OR TRAPPING! Hiking, biking, and walking only.

Still lots of 'rats, mink and coon. People would be shocked to see the wildlife that's right under their noses. My buddy took a 180" buck right across the street from a Menards store. Went in the dark of a morning and had to wait 'till night dark to drag it out.

Sounds about right.

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/17/19 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by wetdog
So what do you trap skunkquillwant?

Skunks maybe?
Posted By: Calvin

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 01:27 AM

I grew up in a city kid and found a way to trap. A good buddy the same thing.

A local trap supplier puts on trappers ed classes. They say a good percentage of the kids that attend are from the big city. It happens.
Posted By: cat_trapper_nv

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 02:10 AM

In Nevada there are no good trappers from the City. All of us city people watch CNN and talk about how horrible hunting and trapping are.

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 02:13 AM

L

Warrior,

Haha I think he’s talking about another type of trapping. Like a trap house. Haha it’s not a trapping shed that looks like a house. If you don’t know what it is then do a quick google search on trapping and trap house. Cause trust me, some of The people trapping in the city are making more money then all of us trappers combined. Haha in fact their “trap suppliers” are making billions a year.
Posted By: Boco

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 02:15 AM

Hey muskrat love,did you get any singed fur out of the Cuyahoga river?
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 02:35 AM

I ain't got no stats, but:

A few years ago I could see the Minneapolis skyline from my line.

Every year, there is a traffic jam heading out of the city toward rifle country the day before deer opener.

Head out to the lake country and you will probably find more lake home owners with a primary residence in the city, than year round residents.
Posted By: SkunkQuillWant

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 02:57 AM

Are rats worth $? Or just in the extermination fee?

What do I trap....

When I was probably about 9 or so, this friend of the family showed me a box trap. I started trapping (box trap) rabbits, and whatever else would get inside (thankfully never a skunk). Then as I got older, I mainly just trapped raccoons around the house. How many do you have to catch before they are all gone? LOL

Its strange, I live in a rural area, next to a hunting club, 2 actually. And I have never met one trapper in my life that I know of. There can't be many trappers out there.

I wish I would have met a trapper so I could have learned a little more about it. I would still like to do it, or see how its done.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 03:03 AM

I live in the city and trap.

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by SkunkQuillWant
Are rats worth $? Or just in the extermination fee?

What do I trap....

When I was probably about 9 or so, this friend of the family showed me a box trap. I started trapping (box trap) rabbits, and whatever else would get inside (thankfully never a skunk). Then as I got older, I mainly just trapped raccoons around the house. How many do you have to catch before they are all gone? LOL

Its strange, I live in a rural area, next to a hunting club, 2 actually. And I have never met one trapper in my life that I know of. There can't be many trappers out there.

I wish I would have met a trapper so I could have learned a little more about it. I would still like to do it, or see how its done.

Start here.

http://www.ohiostatetrapper.org/

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 03:25 AM

[/quote]

Haha I think he’s talking about another type of trapping. Like a trap house. Haha it’s not a trapping shed that looks like a house. If you don’t know what it is then do a quick google search on trapping and trap house. Cause trust me, some of The people trapping in the city are making more money then all of us trappers combined. Haha in fact their “trap suppliers” are making billions a year.
[/quote]

You've got to excuse me, as my postscript below states... "I'm an old dog, and these are all new tricks".
I'll look it up..... I thought he was serious about inner-city trapping. OK, I'll let you guys have your fun..... I was talking about wild fur!

But, the next time you drive by a patch of woods in a suburb that's been vacant for years, slip a game camera in there..... And hang on for what you'll see in the morning!

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 03:29 AM

You've got to excuse me, as my postscript below states... "I'm an old dog, and these are all new tricks".
I'll look it up..... I thought he was serious about inner-city trapping. OK, I'll let you guys have your fun..... I was talking about wild fur!

But, the next time you drive by a patch of woods in a suburb that's been vacant for years, slip a game camera in there..... And hang on for what you'll see in the morning!

Muskrat is right, good trapping around cities. We have a couple rivers and small marshes that runs through Wilmington. Good for some rats, coons and otter. Also retentions ponds!

I mean, nope, no fur in cities.

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Hey muskrat love,did you get any singed fur out of the Cuyahoga river?

BOCO,

Funny you should ask, as I left Cleveland for NW Wisconsin years before the Cuyahoga River caught on fire and burned all the way across and downstream for almost two miles. That area is all cleaned up now and Lake Erie is crystal clear because of the zebra mussels.

Great walleye and perch fishing, both then and now. We used to catch Blue Pike in Erie... No longer there. Don't know if it was a sub specie of the walleye or a color phase. Any 70+ year old Clevelanders out here that remember the blue pike?

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 03:39 AM

[/quote]

But, the next time you drive by a patch of woods in a suburb that's been vacant for years, slip a game camera in there..... And hang on for what you'll see in the morning![/quote]

Oh I believe you. I’ve been working in the garage and watched a coyote walk down the side walk in my gated community. Ive videoed them howling on the train tracks behind the house and almost picked up a road killed grey fox near Las Vegas Blvd (aka the Vegas Strip).
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 03:54 AM

I'll go out on a pretty big limb here. I'd be willing to venture city hobby trappers (folks that live in what would constitute at least a name on a sign entering a town) would easily out number trappers that live out in the country. I guess it depends on what you define as a "city." Also I have caught some of my biggest prettiest animals including bobcats, coyotes, raccoons, and fox right on if not in city limits a number of times. They're well fed and pretty easy to catch.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 04:06 AM

I trapped the South burbs of Chicago for many years you would be surprised the amount of critters on the edge of them small towns/villages. I did ADC work for the Villages and that got me into rats, coons, mink and fox in the undeveloped areas.

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 05:51 AM

That's a couple c-notes and didn't even have to skin them. [Linked Image]

Posted By: pass-thru

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 05:57 AM

I see your 2 and raise you 2.
[Linked Image]

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 06:11 AM

Smells like money!

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 08:06 AM

That's a couple c-notes and didn't even have to skin them. [Linked Image]

Warrior,

That little red squirrel is definitely a C note SEC animal, but that big gray looks like a Big 10 squirrel and worth a lot more $$$! LOL
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 10:38 AM

I have a friend that lives smack dab in the middle of Pittsburg PA. He traps some in town. A few fox and a lot of coons. Some real dandy coons getting caught by restaurant and fast food dumpsters. To run a line like most of us do he has to travel. So he does that too.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 10:45 AM

I live in a small town.
Jim
Posted By: carlswildlife

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 11:20 AM

I live in a suburb of Chicago, I do not trap Chicago itself but the suburbs. I get $75.00 minimum for every animal I take be it squirrel, opossum, skunk ect. I used to fur trap but the money is in the ADC work. I hunt, fish and fur trap as time allows.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 01:55 PM

My high school trapping partner and I made good catches of 'rats along with a few 'coon and mink trapping in the Flint (Michigan) city limits.I remember once while working for the National Park Service on Staten Island on the Hurricane Sandy cleanup talking to a truck driver and somehow the subject turned to trapping and deer hunting with him doing all the talking.He had a place in the Adirondacks and was very enthusiastic about the time he spent there.I was working at a "stump dump"underneath the Verrazano Bridge and I remember looking up at the bridge and across the narrows to Manhatten and thinking I sure didn't expect to have conversation about trapping and deer hunting with a NYC local on Staten Island!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 02:00 PM

So your handle is skunkquillwant...but you havent trapped skunks?
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 02:24 PM

I grew up in what they would now days call suburbs...When I was a kid I could pet a cow over dads back fence. The old home is gone now and is all industrial where that farm was.. I live in the city because it was a job requirement when I got hired as a city fire fighter. Those rules changed but I was already settled in here for 25 years when that happened. So I do live in the city but have trapped my whole life. There is a guy just up the street from me is a heck of a rat trapper. His father was a commercial fisherman here on the river so he grew up on the river too..I know there are others here in the city that trap and there are a lot of hunters and of course fisherman. May have more to do with where the city is located and it's history. That make up how many hunters or trappers might live there. I do only have to drive a couple miles to be on the first farm I trap. I can almost throw a rock into the Mississippi river from my front yard. All that comes into play as far as hunting and trapping.

Mac
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 02:38 PM

Hey Buck (Zandra), the Verrazano bridge is on 278 the road from NJ to Brooklyn. Drove my semi over it many times. Lanes are so narrow you literally have your steer tires on top the lane dividers. Never got to see whats under it. Never even really looked off the bridge. Too busy keeping those steer tires on the lane markers painted on the road.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 02:39 PM

Currently living in a city. Hate it but have acess to a river system that not to bad. The only thing I have to say is don't take chances on your sets guys. I trap near a public walk way so every thing is submerged below the bank and water. That way I can ask "was fluffy on the leash they went swimming. I have no real trouble yet.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 03:20 PM

I used to live in a city of 250,000 and never drove more than 45 minutes to trap. Now I live in a town of 12,000 and never drive more that 30 minutes to trap. Hobby trapping just something fun to do with the kids
Posted By: Scioto

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 04:23 PM

Newly married I lived in an apartment on the far east side of Columbus Oh and missed my rural boyhood home terribly. That fall I ran a line of "rat traps in the freeway ditches nearby that I tended after dark making a pretty decent catch. As mentioned in an earlier post I never lost a trap or for that matter was never bothered except to be questioned by the cops one night, they were actually amused when I explained. I used body grippers exclusively and even had some competition in one section, it seems that Tom Miranda grew up in that same neighborhood before gaining fame and he saw the same potential in those muddy cattail ditches. This was in the early 70's and soon after we purchased a home in the next county where I trapped for the next 40 years. Good memories.

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Hey Buck (Zandra), the Verrazano bridge is on 278 the road from NJ to Brooklyn. Drove my semi over it many times. Lanes are so narrow you literally have your steer tires on top the lane dividers. Never got to see whats under it. Never even really looked off the bridge. Too busy keeping those steer tires on the lane markers painted on the road.
On the Island side theres an old fort,a short distance to the mouth of the river a side street ends and there's 2 garages I was told was for road salt,there's an open lot in front of the garages fronting the Atlantic.Cool fun fact,there was always rumors that at one time there was a huge cave at the mouth,directly underneath the bridge,that once held cannon and ammunition to stop enemy ships from entering the river during the Revolutionary War and the Civil War,but was considered obsolete by the time the Civil War came along.There was never any evidence of a cave there so it was dismissed,then came Hurricane Sandy and it was exposed.When things were slow I would walk over into the cave,no evidence of anything ever having been there now but was pretty neat thinking about all the history there. And yeah,Danny,we had to drive over it every morning and every night as we were staying in Brooklyn and me,coming from Michigan,had an eye opening experience driving in that traffic.And that was in a Ford pickup,can't imagine what that would be like in a semi.
Posted By: Mack

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 07:19 PM

I live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula but many years ago I worked for a while "Down State" In Lansing. I ran a rat line by canoe on the Grand and Red Cedar rivers at night and caught lots of rats and had zero competition. This was all within the city limits.
Posted By: yaaintdeadyet

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 08:13 PM

The U.S. Census Bureau provides quite a bit of information regarding outdoor recreation. Much of it geared to those of us that fish, hunt and trap. The first panel,link provides a thumbnail sketch of the general numbers of people involved in outdoor pursuits. It's in an easy to study in brochure form. https://www.census.gov/library/visualizations/2016/demo/fhw-16-nat.html

This second link is more comprehensive. It offers a listing of previous surveys as well as the datasets that accompany each.
https://www.census.gov/search-results.html?q=Fish%2C+Hunt+and+Wildlife+survey&page=1&stateGeo=none&searchtype=web&cssp=SERP&_charset_=UTF-8

I worked two of these surveys here in AZ. They provide data that businesses, new residents, governments and many other groups make use of when marketing or providing services to an area. I know this much, speaking with like minded folks during these surveys provided me with a wealth of information I could make use when first moving to AZ.
Posted By: yaaintdeadyet

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 08:16 PM

The second link wasn't transferred. Here it is:

https://www.census.gov/search-results.html?q=Fish%2C+Hunt+and+Wildlife+survey&page=1&stateGeo=none&searchtype=web&cssp=SERP&_charset_=UTF-8
Posted By: River Birch

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/18/19 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
Originally Posted by danny clifton
On the Island side theres an old fort,a short distance to the mouth of the river a side street ends and there's 2 garages I was told was for road salt,there's an open lot in front of the garages fronting the Atlantic.Cool fun fact,there was always rumors that at one time there was a huge cave at the mouth,directly underneath the bridge,that once held cannon and ammunition to stop enemy ships from entering the river during the Revolutionary War and the Civil War,but was considered obsolete by the time the Civil War came along.There was never any evidence of a cave there so it was dismissed,then came Hurricane Sandy and it was exposed.When things were slow I would walk over into the cave,no evidence of anything ever having been there now but was pretty neat thinking about all the history there. And yeah,Danny,we had to drive over it every morning and every night as we were staying in Brooklyn and me,coming from Michigan,had an eye opening experience driving in that traffic.And that was in a Ford pickup,can't imagine what that would be like in a semi.

I wonder what it looks like on the Bridge... Here is what I see...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/19/19 01:15 AM

Nice place to visit,wouldn't want to live there.

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/19/19 01:19 AM

River Burch,is that the fort in photographs 4 and 5?

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/19/19 01:48 AM

River Burch,is that the fort in photographs 4 and 5?

Yes it is...

There is another at Governors Island a bit to the North...

Also at the end of the Battery is Pier "A"

and the ventilators.... Stories have tunnels and secret passageways all over NYC???

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/19/19 02:02 AM

Photograph 1 sure brings back memories.I used the camera on my cell phone to take a ton of pictures,alot of them looking down into the fort from the street above and behind it.Then my phone was destroyed and there went all my pict's.!Thank you for sharing these pictures.Yeah,it seems to me a couple local guys I got to know said something about underground tunnels......

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/19/19 02:08 AM

Photograph 1 sure brings back memories.I used the camera on my cell phone to take a ton of pictures,alot of them looking down into the fort from the street above and behind it.Then my phone was destroyed and there went all my pict's.!Thank you for sharing these pictures.Yeah,it seems to me a couple local guys I got to know said something about underground tunnels......

I'm sure you saw the cannon on the top of photo 1

Re: **** DO *** CITY *** FOLKS *** TRAP ? - 02/19/19 03:21 AM

Well,I do now.I can't say I remember it from before tho.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums