Home

Quad won't start in cold. Updated.

Posted By: Animals Only

Quad won't start in cold. Updated. - 02/19/19 12:02 AM

I have a 2002 can am bombader outlander that refuses to start at 20 degrees or colder. Anyone have any suggestions pn what the problem is? It starts and runs fine in warm weather.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 12:05 AM

Did you put winter oil in the crankcase?Does it have a primer?
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 12:44 AM

Shot of starting fluid sometimes helps
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 12:55 AM

Probably need more info. Does it not crank? Crank but not fire? Carb or fuel injected?

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 12:56 AM

It ran in December. Turns over fine. Has a new battery. Fluids were changed in the spring. Has a new spark plug. Does it have a coil? It just seems like it won't fire.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 01:18 AM

Can you choke the engine when it's cold out?
Posted By: DGorman

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 01:40 AM

A little searching leads me to believe this model is carbuereted and has a factory carb heater. When it's cold turn the key on and wait a few minutes for the heater to work. Put the choke on, don't touch the throttle, hit the starter and see what happens.
Posted By: Grub

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 01:56 AM

Had same thing just happen. Wouldn't start except with a shot of starting fluid. Once I got it running put some carb cleaner through it and bought the high octane gas and ran it for an hour pushing snow and no problem since. Was told when that cold any moisture in the carbs from sitting and freezing up will cause this problem.
Posted By: stumper

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by DGorman
A little searching leads me to believe this model is carbuereted and has a factory carb heater. When it's cold turn the key on and wait a few minutes for the heater to work. Put the choke on, don't touch the throttle, hit the starter and see what happens.

Most of the time the carbs get heated by coolant lines that run through the carbs and warm as the engine runs. Where did you find this?
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 02:39 AM

In the fall I start running heat in my gasoline and I haven't had problems. Even starts below 0 degrees.
Posted By: fix it mike

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 03:00 AM

Never use starting fluid .... Never !!!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 05:05 AM

Battery...mine had problems at -15 to -32. Bought a New battery.

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 11:21 AM

Yes the choke works. I can put some octane booster in it. It has fresh gas with stabil in it. I may push it out in the sun today and hopefully that will warm it enough to get it started.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 11:38 AM

Run 0-40 weight oil. Makes a huge difference this far north. Tried 5-30 last winter and yanked that out. has to start with 0.

Even the 5 weight just won't let the engine roll over fast enough in the cold.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 11:47 AM

I'm not familiar with your model of quad, but when our Polaris gives me fits I check the battery connections and will add some gun grease to keep a good connection. In the place of starting fluid I'd suggest a quick shot of WD-40 in its place, you can't get carried away with that as easily. Fresh NGK plugs are handy to have also to swap the old ones. I hope this helps.
Allan
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 11:52 AM

Starting fluid is fine IF not abused. A small mist into the throat will never hurt a thing. But a squirt bottle with gas will also work with no worries. I’ve heard WD-40 works too but never tried it.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 12:54 PM

Put a lit light bulb under the engine for an hour or three, va-room.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 01:04 PM

Warm it with a hair dryer,five or ten minutes and my snowblowers fires right up.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 02:03 PM

The carburator Honda's I have owned don't like to start about 0-20 below, they recommend to use premium gas, I hit the primer if it's slow to fire
Posted By: Posco

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Did you put winter oil in the crankcase?

I asked the dealer why my Kodiak is so coldblooded and he asked me that very question.

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 02:14 PM

I have read on a few forums that there are carb heaters on the 04 model. Not sure if it is true or if they are on my model, but I'll try it. Want to use this for ice fishing but if it won't start in cold weather why bother.
Update: Just read my owners manual and it does not indicate anything about carb heaters. Or any other information on cold weather starting. States 5-30SAE or 5-40 synthetic. For all weather.
Posted By: trapr

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 03:55 PM

is the new battery of the proper size?meaning did they get you one of the proper specs of cranking amps?synthetic oil in 4 wheelers in cold climates is almost a must.they just start and run so much easier.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 04:01 PM

Try Red Heet and synthetic oil.
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
Put a lit light bulb under the engine for an hour or three, va-room.

I do that all the time And throw a old blanket over the tank and seat to keep the heat in.
Posted By: Mont

Re: Quad won't start in cold weather. Help. - 02/19/19 06:15 PM

my old Honda's had carburetors and had same trouble..there was primer on side of carburetor but it was a pain in the butt.
when running it in cold weather i would choke it just before shutting it off for the night and next day it would fire right up.

the newer unit has FI and it will fire up in cold no problem

Re: Quad won't start in cold. Updated. - 02/19/19 07:07 PM

Pushed the quad into the barn and fired up the wood burner. After a couple hours of heat it started right up.
Posted By: white17

Re: Quad won't start in cold. Updated. - 02/19/19 07:33 PM

Hair dryer on the carb, as suggested above. At least you know there is nothing wrong. Run some red bottle Iso-Heet through the fuel and maybe some synthetic oil and it should help a lot
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Quad won't start in cold. Updated. - 02/19/19 09:26 PM

I'll PM you my address as I am in South Carolina, you can ship it to me and I'll run it for you. There ..... you are welcome.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Quad won't start in cold. Updated. - 02/19/19 10:03 PM

Put a trouble light with 100 watt bulb near the carburetor for an hour. I had an old 62 Ford van once that would only start that way.
Or, have your fat girlfriend sit on the seat for an hour.
Posted By: run

Re: Quad won't start in cold. Updated. - 02/20/19 01:23 PM

Sounds good.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Quad won't start in cold. Updated. - 02/20/19 02:17 PM

I tried an electric blanket last year, helped a little, primer is best way to start it when real cold
© 2024 Trapperman Forums