Home

Any 220 swift guys here?

Posted By: Osky

Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 03:07 AM

I came into one here, never had one before. I'm thinking of using it for a 500 yard gun primarily. Any input would be appreciated, if it's not cutting the mustard, I'll sell it.

Osky
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 03:27 AM

Ogorman used to use one, probably still does, he liked it
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 03:32 AM

Total junk ill give you what you got in it.

JK Lots of fun when shooting squeaks and yotes.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 03:33 AM

I'm looking for one in a red pad Ruger.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 03:41 AM

Im looking for heavy barrel 220 or 22-250 red pad

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 04:05 AM

Moly fusion will help protect the barrel from a hot load, also prevents copper fouling, I only get powder fouling in my barrel
Posted By: tdillon

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 04:12 AM

i have a heavy varmint rem 700 custom built with 1-8 twist to shoot heavier bullets, love how it shoots, but its not a great pack all day gun. have won several 200yd matches with it better plan on reloading not much out there for factory loads, good luck!
Posted By: Randy Shuff

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 04:16 AM

Marty B, I have one, not for sale. It is special to me for several reasons.
Posted By: MT bowhunter

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 05:14 AM

I have yet to meet anyone who owns one who owns just one. I am a 223 guy but the 220 swift following is almost like a cult. One friend of mine owns 5.
Posted By: foxhunter52

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 05:20 AM

I bought a sako forester in .220 swift back in the early 80's. I loaded it around 3600 fps. I could have loaded it to over 4000 fps but was worried about barrel life. It lasted for over 30 years and over 5000 rounds. I really liked it. Even so, I replaced the barrel with a .243 and haven't regretted it.

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Marty B
I'm looking for one in a red pad Ruger.

This one is a very sharp Ruger #1. I have a .243 currently for the same purpose, I'm debating wether to put the effort into gearing this rifle up as a replacement. Having never used this caliber the experiences and thoughts of you guys is valued.

Osky
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 06:39 AM

I've shot one for years and love it. It was a 26" Remington VSSF and I had Christensen Arms do the barrel with graphite which took off a bunch of weight. I stocked it with a Bansner ultralight stock and had it painted.

My buddy worked up several loads, (I don't load), and it would shoot half inch groups. That load was with 55 grain V-Max molys. Here I shoot a Norma 50 grain for roe deer and red fox and it still shoots MOA. I love it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I agree about the velocity though. Guys who shoot ground squirrels with them can go through barrels.

Good luck with it.

Pete
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 11:01 AM

I don't own any guns .But if I did I would have a Ruger #1 in a .220 Swift I have killed a few ground hogs beyond 200 yards . Shoot real nice but it gets a little bit heavy if you plan to do any carrying

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 11:27 AM

Thanks guys. As far as carry, when I do take it out it will be in a scabbard on the wheeler, or more often in the scabbard on the snowgo. Reloading is out, I do not want to get into that. As stated I have a location where it would primarily be used, no carrying needed, where I would like it to stretch out comfortably accurate to right at 500 yards. Coyote size targets.

I currently have my favorite caliber one of my .243's doing that job, but after coming into this deal I thought maybe I'd keep the Ruger and rotate the crops otherwise resell it.

Osky
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 11:37 AM

Most likely, the Swift has a slow twist barrel. Heavy bullets are out which is what you'd need to shoot that far.
Keep the .243.
Posted By: trap-alaska

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 11:41 AM

If you're not going to reload then I would recommend selling it and getting a 22-250 or stick with your .243. I love my Swift but factory ammo is only going to get more scarce and expensive. It's really become a novelty caliber over the last decade.
Posted By: yodeldog101

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by MT bowhunter
I have yet to meet anyone who owns one who owns just one. I am a 223 guy but the 220 swift following is almost like a cult. One friend of mine owns 5.

Yup...me too...Ruger 77 Varmint has killed a lot of coyotes...found another at the gun store and bought it too..

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by yodeldog101
Originally Posted by MT bowhunter

Yup...me too...Ruger 77 Varmint has killed a lot of coyotes...found another at the gun store and bought it too..

I know that itch. I have a plethora of .243's to put it very mildly.

Osky
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 12:35 PM

I have a Ruger 77v that I bought in 1979, I also have a ,243 77v. If you have no plans to load for the Swift I would sell it. I think to wring out the most the swift has to offer, you have to roll your own. The .243 has enough factory loads you can certainly find the one you need.

WS
Posted By: mttrapperguy

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 01:17 PM

I have one and love it, finding ammo is the problem
Posted By: merganser

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 01:59 PM

I have had a couple over the last 30 years. Like mine a lot. No problems with barrel life, but then again, I don't load mine real hot. Have used mine for prairie dogs, coyotes, deer and antelope.

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 02:20 PM

Pete, good to see you can hunt some things there, idk much about France
Posted By: 160user

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Osky
As stated I have a location where it would primarily be used, no carrying needed, where I would like it to stretch out comfortably accurate to right at 500 yards. Coyote size targets.

I currently have my favorite caliber one of my .243's doing that job, but after coming into this deal I thought maybe I'd keep the Ruger and rotate the crops otherwise resell it.

Osky

I had a 1930's model 70 in a Swift and it worked well for "coyote sized targets".
Posted By: possumcatcher

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 04:43 PM

I got lucky and got a steal on a swift a few months back. Its a ruger 77 and it shoots awesome. Havent taken it hunting or shot anything with it yet, but from shooting paper, it shoots great.
Posted By: possumcatcher

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by mttrapperguy
Sportsmans guide that had hornady ammo for it for like $20 a box of 20 a few weeks back. I ordered a few boxes
Posted By: oneeyedtrapper

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 05:41 PM

In one of his reloading books, P. O. Ackley has some great writing about shooting the 220 Swift. They were using it on wild burros! He had a theory (I believe "reverse hydrology"?) that the shock of that high speed of a bullet caused the animals heart to pump backwards. It's good reading if you can find it!
Posted By: SwiftKIll

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 08:55 PM

Osky, I have a Ruger No.1. and it is awesome. Its lights out on Coyotes at any range. My go to load that I have used for years is a Hornady 55 gr Vmax over 44.0 of H414. This chronographs at 3950 out of my gun. Warning don't hit bone with this bullet unless you don't care about the fur.. I take frontal or broadside shots only and they rarely exit. Drops them on the spot. Massive internal damage. You only have to worry about burning out a barrel if you continually shoot with a hot barrel.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 09:09 PM

I had one out west and it was NOT a 500 yd gun with any wind.
It would do 400 pretty well though.
re-Barreled to .225 Win once the throat burned up.

I went to a .25 Gibbs for my long range yote buster...the heavier 25 cal bucked wind better.

Posted By: swift4me

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 09:21 PM

Tactical.20....

Thanks, but we have plenty to hunt here. I get to hunt roe deer from June first until the end of February, plus wild boar and red fox all year. No duck hunting or turkeys, but a guy can't complain. I can trap 15,000 acres without asking permission, so things are OK.

Pete

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Whopper Stopper
I have a Ruger 77v that I bought in 1979, I also have a ,243 77v. If you have no plans to load for the Swift I would sell it. I think to wring out the most the swift has to offer, you have to roll your own. The .243 has enough factory loads you can certainly find the one you need.
Mine shoots a handload..Nosler 55gr very well. It also shoots Nosler 55 gr factory load very well too...
WS

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by mttrapperguy

Guy...get the Hornady 55 gr VMax loads...they shoot very well.
If you guys get a chance read the Book Frank Glazier...Alaskas Wolf Man...its an excellent book about his adventures hunting and trapping wolves in Ak. The service issued him a .220 Swift...and if I remember right they only had 48 gr bullets back then as they were new. He killed Grizzlies with his more than once..
Posted By: garymc

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 10:58 PM

I had a special run 220 swift barrel for my TC Encore. I had a pile of rounds through it both factory and hand loads. HSM has several 220 swift factory loads. I really like their 52 gn Calhoun Double Hollow point load, but I did not see it on their website. It was devastating on game you didn’t plan on eating.
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by yodeldog101
[quote=mttrapperguy]
If you guys get a chance read the Book Frank Glazier...Alaskas Wolf Man...its an excellent book about his adventures hunting and trapping wolves in Ak. The service issued him a .220 Swift...and if I remember right they only had 48 gr bullets back then as they were new. He killed Grizzlies with his more than once..

Excellent read!

WS
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 11:19 PM

The 220 swift is a serious varmint gun-its a fast flat out killer on coyotes.The speed of the swift puts it a small step above the likes of a 22-250.I shoot a lot of different calibers-and even though the swift is not my favourite-it is a very close second.If you reload-its a dream to shoot.There is no perfect .22 centerfire-but he 220 swift was named king for a reason-cause it is.Unless you start building crazy wildcats-then the sky is the limit of course.

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/22/19 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by SwiftKIll
Osky, I have a Ruger No.1. and it is awesome. Its lights out on Coyotes at any range. My go to load that I have used for years is a Hornady 55 gr Vmax over 44.0 of H414. This chronographs at 3950 out of my gun. Warning don't hit bone with this bullet unless you don't care about the fur.. I take frontal or broadside shots only and they rarely exit. Drops them on the spot. Massive internal damage. You only have to worry about burning out a barrel if you continually shoot with a hot barrel.

Thanks Swift... I have been digging and I believe this one has the 1-12 twist. I am going to max out the grain weight at 55 and see what happens. Lighter side 39 or 40 grains. Try them all in between. The original owner I bought it from was a very nice old guy selling out his gun collection. He said he shot less than a box, just to try it, and handed me what was left in it. Looking hard at the gun zero wear or markings I believe him so I don't think wearing out a barrel is a concern as I never intend to heat it up much if at all. I may get 2-3 rounds off max where I intend to use it on fur.

Osky
Posted By: cotton

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/23/19 02:11 AM

been shooting one for years
don't buy into the barrel burner rap, keep it clean and don't get it hot. barrel will last just fine
Posted By: canebrake

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/23/19 02:32 AM

I've always wanted a Swift. Just a cool caliber. It's likely just getting more rare as time passes though, just like the 6mm and 280. But in reality, if you don't reload a 22-250 or 243 makes far more sense. Some cartridges are just interesting though.
Posted By: Cattrax

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/23/19 03:00 AM

Got 2, a Ruger that I bought in 77, it is a 77 V, I'd hate to guess how many dogs have fallen to it, and some have been over the 500 range, it will shoot it if you can do your part, the other is a model 70 pre 64, that one is pretty special to me, so it doesn't get as much action as the 77, just don't go sit in a prairie dog town and smoke it up, that's when you burn the throats out, I shoot 55 grain Sierra blitz kings, they work awesome!
Posted By: trap master

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/24/19 02:15 AM

love mine. Remington 700 blued fluted heavy barrel, it was a non catalogue rifle I bought in '96 or '97, its a tack driver. 40 grains of IMR 4064 under a 55 grain berger bullet.

I agree with what others have said, the whole barrel burner stuff is a bunch of outdated hocus pocus

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/24/19 02:46 AM

The Swift will do just a " bit" better than a 22-250 but with a whole more cost.
I'd hold on and not sell it if possible.
Keep it mint and sell for good $ iffn you need it..
You're too dam old too hunt anyway!

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/24/19 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by swift4me
Tactical.20....

Thanks, but we have plenty to hunt here. I get to hunt roe deer from June first until the end of February, plus wild boar and red fox all year. No duck hunting or turkeys, but a guy can't complain. I can trap 15,000 acres without asking permission, so things are OK.

Pete

Always fun to learn about other places

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/24/19 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
The Swift will do just a " bit" better than a 22-250 but with a whole more cost.
I'd hold on and not sell it if possible.
Keep it mint and sell for good $ iffn you need it..
You're too dam old too hunt anyway!

Too old to hunt am I ???. You notice I'm using it at 500 yards, were it not for something in my eye I'd be doing that with open sites.

Osky

But you are right, I'm thinking of letting it go and maybe finding the same gun in a .243 as if I need another one in that caliber.

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/24/19 03:27 AM

You can't even see 500 yards. The do carry eyeglasses that may be able to help you though.
There is a hardware store that carries them but I forget the name of it?

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/24/19 03:51 AM

now your talking Osky….make me miss my bull barreled Rem 700 from mid 70's with a Fecker 15x scope...…..you rat...……..lol
Dad and I set that up to shoot crows and chucks out past .222 Rem range and it was neat to see a black puff of feathers out past 400.
Wow, I forgot about that gun.

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/24/19 03:53 AM

LOL...BnB..I get my shooting and welding glasses for $1 from ACE Hardware, since the magnification is the entire lens and not just at the bottom like my bifocals.
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/24/19 06:17 AM

Bought a new 77V swift about 1979 with the 26" varmint barrel. After floating the barrel it shot like a dream. Many a coyote fell to the old swift and I still have it today. Also have a Remington 700 classic swift also bought new about 1991. Floated the barrel and bedded the action and she has killed many a coyote. Have killed lion, antelope, whitetail and mule deer with my Swifts also. Luckily both my guns like the same bullet and load. I use Sierra 52 gr. match hollow points, IMR 4064 and CCI BR2 primers. I prefer not to shoot bobcat or fox with my swifts unless they are 200 yards plus. I have tried many bullets looking for the most fur friendly bullet and the Sierra 52 is the best for what I shoot. I have never met a swift that didn't like IMR 4064 powder. Both of my guns have the factory barrels which I clean often and the accuracy is still very good. I believe most people who bad mouth the swift either have very little experience with it or do not clean and take care of their barrels. Just my two cents and almost 40 years of practical experience with the Swift.

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/24/19 01:26 PM

Traprj..... I.m glad it bring back good memories. I'm taken back at how many guys have used and like this caliber. It was always that interesting "shadow" caliber I always heard about.
I will tell you of two witnessed shots with my favorite gun. I knew the distances head of time but we shot it again after at 431. I was challenged to hit a small grapefruit size animal while I was standing but allowed to lean back against something which I did. I called the shot 12" up and 12" left into the 10-12 mph cross breeze. I made the shot. About 45 minutes later 2 crows were circling over the scene and I was challenged again. I took aim at the crow after it landed at the kill. I figured the same leads and standing in the same spot I tickled the trigger. Two poofs of black feathers. While concentrating on the first crow out there the other had hopped in line about 7' behind it which I wasn't aware of.

Larry B it's interesting that here and on the net where I've been searching it seems the 77V and the model 700 are the first two models generally mentioned, and the rest very good models as well. I will have someone load up the round you suggested, does it hold decent in the wind?

Bucks.... Now don't you worry over my eyesight. It's good enough to find that well worn snow machine trail to town and from there a blind man could find what I wanna see. Which is nice.

Osky

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/24/19 11:22 PM

Osky, The bullet and load I quoted does do as good as any 22 caliber load in the wind. As you can tell I love my swifts. I like my swifts for antelope hunting but if it is very high wind I switch to my 25-06 with 100 gr. Nosler ballistic tips. I use IMR 4350 and CCI BR2 primers in it. For elk I use a 30-06 with 150 gr. Hornady BTSP's, IMR 4350 and CCI BR2's also.
The swift is still a pretty popular caliber here in the open country of the west. There are quite a few of them around here but nobody wants to sell them and there's a reason for that !!!!

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/24/19 11:28 PM

Larry that's my second favorite 06 load as well. Federal premium 180 grains I like a bit more, they are devastating.

Osky

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/25/19 12:00 AM

Osky,
I believe you mention your swift is a #1 Ruger. If it doesn't group to your satisfaction you may need to find a gun smith who is familiar with #1 Ruger barrel bedding. I haven't had a #1 but have heard of bedding problems and needing a smith who has experience with them. My favorite smith (who is no longer practicing) had mentioned occasional bedding issues with # 1's.

I have had a retail firearms business for the past 14 years.
My youngest son wanted to remove my old 77V from my collection. He is an avid coyote caller and just about worshipped my old gun. I informed him he was not to take my old gun but I would do my best to find him an old 77V Swift in decent condition.
About 7 years later an old rancher walks into my shop one evening with just what we wanted. Seemed his daughter was moving to the city and he wanted to trade the rifle for a handgun to give her. It was obvious that it had been hauled around in a pickup quite a but the bore looked good. My question was why a rancher was willing to part with his 220 swift ? His reply was he wouldn't except he had bought two of them brand new in the late 1970's and he had the other one still in the box ! What a smart dude, I wish I had done that ! So we made the deal, that is the only 77V in 220 that I ever took on trade or bought used.
I cleaned it up and put my preferred Leupold 4x12 VX-2 scope on it after lapping the rings. I did take quite a bit of copper fouling out of the bore. It groups great with my favorite load and we haven't even floated the barrel.
Needless to say I have one happy son. I wish making his mother happy was that easy !
Enjoy your rifle.
Larry

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/25/19 12:21 AM

That's a terrific story Larry. I hope your sending that rancher a card and free box of handgun rounds for the pistol he bought so he keeps you in mind should that V in the box become available.

I picked up a grimy dirty resemblance of a rifle from the end of a shelf in a gun shop west of Minneapolis maybe 30 years ago. Under the dirt and neglect was an old Remington 270 factory long barrel 721 I believe. Cleaned up like a reformed drunk, oiled stock and very decent browning became exposed. Like you some hard bore scrubbing. Most accurate factory rifle I own, it'll tear the same hole as far as you want to shoot it with good ammo.

Once the storm passes here I'll stretch this no 1 out. I can go safely out to just over 800 yards off the deck here but I'm going to curb it at 500.

Osky

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/25/19 07:57 PM

Looking at what even used ones are bringing, I think you found a Diamond!

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 02/25/19 08:20 PM

You can't even see 500 yards. The do carry eyeglasses that may be able to help you though.

Maybe if you guys were younger you could just WALK closer to the target.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Netman

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 03/01/19 05:03 PM

I have a old tang safety Ruger 220 Swift. I’ve been told it has a factory Douglas barrel on it. I was standing in a sporting goods store parking lot when a elderly lady pulled up beside me. She had two firearms wrapped up in quilts in the trunk. She asked me if the store bought used guns. I replied I don’t know if they do but I sure will. She pulled out the first gun and it was a brand new Ruger 220 Swift with a 12 power Leupold scope on it. It still had the price tag on it and the scope was mounted with the crosshairs like a X and not a +. She said her husband bought the rifle to go prairie dog hunting but never did and had passed away. She said her grandchildren were not of the gun type so she thought she would try to sell them. I bought the Swift. The other gun was a brand new Remington 1100.
This was nearly thirty years ago. I finally got to be the guy with the money at the right place at the right time. I have killed a large number of coyotes with this rifle.

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 03/01/19 05:08 PM

160 I like that!! Does it come with a kit to mount a rifle scabbard?

Actually add a lead sled to the front and I would REALLY be in tall cotton.

Osky

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? - 03/01/19 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Netman
I have a old tang safety Ruger 220 Swift. I’ve been told it has a factory Douglas barrel on it. I was standing in a sporting goods store parking lot when a elderly lady pulled up beside me. She had two firearms wrapped up in quilts in the trunk. She asked me if the store bought used guns. I replied I don’t know if they do but I sure will. She pulled out the first gun and it was a brand new Ruger 220 Swift with a 12 power Leupold scope on it. It still had the price tag on it and the scope was mounted with the crosshairs like a X and not a +. She said her husband bought the rifle to go prairie dog hunting but never did and had passed away. She said her grandchildren were not of the gun type so she thought she would try to sell them. I bought the Swift. The other gun was a brand new Remington 1100.
This was nearly thirty years ago. I finally got to be the guy with the money at the right place at the right time. I have killed a large number of coyotes with this rifle.

Similar story for me...……..An elderly lady came into a local shop with a gun wrapped up in a blanket. They opened it up and it was a WWII vintage original BAR with the canvas case and extra barrel. She found it hidden after her husband had passed away. The shop told her to get that thing out of there! She asked what to do with it and they suggested finding a bridge somewhere to throw it off. I should have followed her outside!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums