Home

Spring, anyone ready?

Posted By: MJM

Spring, anyone ready? - 03/03/19 11:07 PM

-22 was the low last night. We got up to -1 today, but we have a 25-30 mph wind. A slight ground blizzard going all day. I am ready for spring. [Linked Image]
Posted By: canebrake

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/03/19 11:15 PM

I'm not. I love hunting and trapping too much so fall and winter are my favorite times of the year. Spring is not terrible but I despise summer. I'm in the South though.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/03/19 11:37 PM

im with ya mark,snowed again today. I love winter but just too many snows this yr. Im ready for the springtime
Posted By: Bowwhitetail

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/03/19 11:38 PM

I’m ready for spring and getting after the turkeys

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/03/19 11:40 PM

canebrake we are at apposite ends of the weather spectrum. We have had plenty of cold and snow in the last two months. When you add the wind to it, it takes the fun out of it.
Posted By: Sask hunter

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/03/19 11:53 PM

I’m ready for spring beaver trapping and spring bear hunting
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/03/19 11:56 PM

Very ready. A little tired of below average temps, snow, and am ready for green grass, fishing, and baseball.
Jim
Posted By: snowy

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/03/19 11:56 PM

Terrible weather here also, -35 to -45 with wind chill. Snow drifting bad with wind conditions. Looks a lot worse here then the picture you have up. LOL
Posted By: Posco

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/03/19 11:59 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/03/19 11:59 PM

Im ready for spring and some horn hunting , motorcycle riding , and camping . We have had below normal temps all last month and now have 2 feet of snow on the ground.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 12:06 AM

Was checking the morel sightings today. My get to watch fireworks and pick mushrooms at the same day this year,

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 12:12 AM

We have had below normal temperatures and snow too. It didn't start out too bad, but the last two to three months have been a little more than I want to endure. I am going to be glad to see it melt hard. .
Posted By: cohunt

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 12:19 AM

Same in northeastern South Dakota. We have now had one day where we reached normal average high temperature in the last 2 months. We were just 16 below today though so a regular heat wave compared with you.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 12:19 AM

Yep, it's a dezzert out there.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 12:22 AM

Our normal is high 50 low 28. Set to break the low tonight at -8. Suppose to be planting potatoes in 2 weeks,lol.

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 12:22 AM

Today at my house [Linked Image]
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 12:31 AM

Don't get your hopes up Mark.
Posted By: canebrake

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by MJM
canebrake we are at apposite ends of the weather spectrum. We have had plenty of cold and snow in the last two months. When you add the wind to it, it takes the fun out of it.

True, our winters are extremely mild compared to yours. We've had some lows in the 20s but no snow. With the heat and awful humidity our summers are terrible +P.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 12:47 AM

More than ready here
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 12:49 AM

It is early yet. Typically I have snow on the roads in the forest a month from now, and cant access good beaver trapping grounds. That's normal for here.
Posted By: Born

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 01:32 AM

Buy your flood insurance now, It takes 30 days to take effect.

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 01:44 AM

Here is where the snow depth is at.
[Linked Image]

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 01:50 AM

I was out snowshoeing today and was surprised to see the moose moving through it. It takes a lot of snow to shut them down but they must have depleted the browse where they were and decided to move on to better grounds. Hard to tell from the pic but that's three feet of snow they waded through.

[Linked Image]

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 01:55 AM

cohunt I spent Thursday night in Sioux Falls. I knew it was going to be a long day and left a little after 0600 headed south then west. I was sure glad when it got light. That was a mess. I ended up getting into Bismarck at 10:30 PM and spent the night there rather than pushing the last 140 miles home. Roads were bad all the way across SD. I went west then North then west and north again. I did 1180+ miles between Thursday and Friday. That was enough of that fun too.

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 02:18 AM

With the drifting and traffic and low temps the roads just do not open up. South Dakota does not use road salt (up here anyway) and unless there is bright sun and at least mid teens the ice/compressed snow just builds.

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Posco
I was out snowshoeing today and was surprised to see the moose moving through it. It takes a lot of snow to shut them down but they must have depleted the browse where they were and decided to move on to better grounds. Hard to tell from the pic but that's three feet of snow they waded through.

[Linked Image]

It is amazing the snow they can travel in. I see tracks and beds where they have been at the ranch but I haven't seen them lately.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 02:47 AM

More than ready. I've got the gardening bug already. I want to wait until it's a little warmer to start my seeds so I've just been looking at gardening sites lately. Wife says if she catches me looking at tomatoes one more time she's about to get mad. eek
Posted By: warrior

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler
More than ready. I've got the gardening bug already. I want to wait until it's a little warmer to start my seeds so I've just been looking at gardening sites lately. Wife says if she catches me looking at tomatoes one more time she's about to get mad. eek

Same here finally got the last of the bamboo cleared off the back of my garden spot. Got enough bean poles to last me a while. Unfortunately with all this rain looks like I'd be better off raising crawfish than beans.

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by snowy
It is amazing the snow they can travel in. I see tracks and beds where they have been at the ranch but I haven't seen them lately.

Yeah, I've seen winters where they move about quite freely, even in deep snow. This year they really shut down. They tend to hang in areas of dark growth to bed and keep out of the wind. I've been wanting to get out shed hunting but we've had so much snow it would probably be pointless. Everything is buried.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 03:26 AM

Sap season is just around the corner. We have several hundred buckets out and lots of tubs but we can't get our 6 wheeler through in many places so we will need some warm weather to settle down some snow or rain or both.
I am late with ordering the garden seeds but with a couple cold days I can get that done.
Bryce
Posted By: white17

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 04:05 AM

Nope. I don't care if spring never comes again !
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 04:16 AM

Hopefully it starts warming up now
Posted By: bwilly

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 04:17 AM

Has been 55 days now haven't been above 32 degrees above zero, maybe this weekend may get up into twenties, if sun shining will be like summer!
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 04:17 AM

Looks deep in the mountains snowy
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 07:48 AM

Car had negative 20 when I left work yesterday morning. Think it hit about 6 throughout the day. I don't mind the cold but the snow has been on since late November. I've seen the ground a couple times since then, but it sure didn't last long. Worst conditions I've seen trapping wise ever....I took the option to stop very early on in the season and just work. I think I've made the right choice. I've got boxes of traps sitting in my shed I can't talk myself into opening. Working at $60 an hour is beating any extra income I could make on trapping right now. At some point you have to feed the kids and pay the electricity bill. I'm over the winter for sure and I absolutely dread summer.
Posted By: Rally

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 08:27 AM

I'm thinking about selling canoes this spring. When the snow melts there will be people buying anything that floats. Last report I heard out of Duluth we were at 80+ inches of snow.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 10:46 AM

I love the changing of the seasons. September, December and March.....especially March gets be anxious for the next season to begin.
Posted By: BruceDafter

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 11:39 AM

VERY ready. I've used the snowblower 6 days out of the last 7. And that was just to clean up from the blowing and drifting from last Mondays blizzard. Walked around the yard with a measuring stick. 36" in most spots, 4' in a couple. And those aren't "drifty" areas, drifts are up over 5'. Had snow on the ground since Nov 10. Probably still have it until the middle of May. And is -12 here this morning.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 12:13 PM

4 degrees here now. Walleye run should start this month out of lake erie and up the rivers. Im ready!!!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 01:09 PM

I keep saying "hopefully this is the week"
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 01:11 PM

i need spring for sure but teens for highs the next 4 days [Linked Image]
Posted By: corky

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 01:15 PM

Minus 20 right now. Will set another all time record for lowest high today. Avg. high is 32. Supposed to hit 6.
Posted By: Bobcat77

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 01:19 PM

-9 here this morning we have ice under about 6" of snow. Cows will start having calves here in a few days, it looks like it will warm up a little towards the end of the week. Then its going to be a muddy mess!! LOL

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 02:58 PM

-9 here this morning too, with a 30 mph wind. So more of the same today.

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 03:05 PM

-11 wind chill around -25
[Linked Image]

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 03:53 PM

It just looks fuzzy here. There are three power pole in this picture. The third is about at the limit of visibility. There is a big blue pole barn down that way too.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 04:32 PM

warmed up to 9 here

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 05:27 PM

Blown like crazy here a partial sunny day but drifting bad. From the wind this weekend the drifts and blown in spots, the snow is harder then cement.

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 05:48 PM

Pick up here too. Its not real nice out there.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 05:54 PM

sons been in Minot too long,says he's used to it.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 06:37 PM

I want to skip spring and summer and go right to November.
Only 8 months to go.
I just got some traps in the mail today, that even makes the wait longer.
So in the mean time I'll do some gardening, yard work, fishing, hangout with the family
And I'll have to go to work. Lol
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 08:22 PM

A balmy 12* at 2:30pm in SE Iowa.
Posted By: Art S

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 08:45 PM

Had a flock of Robins in my hawthorn trees yesterday ,
4 in. of snow and single digits today , think they jumped the gun by
a couple days .

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 08:50 PM

have 200 canadians down back cause everything else is froze up.they got a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) look on there face.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/04/19 11:58 PM

Its +35 and rain and snow here in Western Alaska, It been like this since you all got a taste of real winter down there. Over a month now. Its kind of nice. lol
Posted By: old243

Re: Spring, anyone ready? - 03/05/19 12:08 AM

It is 3F in Ontario tonight. Not many mosquitoes.. old243
© 2024 Trapperman Forums