Home

Adhesive for rubber rand on leather boots

Posted By: coop74

Adhesive for rubber rand on leather boots - 03/06/19 11:35 PM

I've got a pair of Cabelas boots that the rubber rand is peeling away from the leather. Does anyone have an adhesive that actually works?
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Adhesive for rubber rand on leather boots - 03/07/19 02:28 PM

I personally believe it's hard to beat good old fashion rubber contact cement if you can find it.. I've had some success recently with using urethane windshield adhesive. There are two kinds of windshield adhesive the urethane and silicon, you want the urethane. Coat it good and clamp it up at least over night.
Hope this helps good luck.

Mac
Posted By: BillyTraps

Re: Adhesive for rubber rand on leather boots - 03/07/19 02:54 PM

Clean with acetone
use Gorilla glue
it expands so wipe extra with damp cloth
clamp with blue painters tape for 24hrs
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Adhesive for rubber rand on leather boots - 03/07/19 03:53 PM

This
[Linked Image]
Posted By: nyhuntfish

Re: Adhesive for rubber rand on leather boots - 03/07/19 03:54 PM

I don't have an answer but let me share two things I just learned, rubber boot-related:

I just this week got some brand new Lacrosse hip Boots. At that price I wanted them to last.

Tip 1: The "Men's Premium 32" black hipboot" With "instant amazon discount" was $99 total price (down from $134). It is essentially the same as the "trapper version" which is $154. Both have the canvas kneepads, and the one I have actually supposedly has more rubber on the boot. My theory on why cheap: Possibly people don't know about this option (they get Big Chief or Trapper boot, but miss this one) and so because Amazon buys in advance ...maybe they haven't sold them. You'll see them for $134 on Amazon but then 34.95 will be knocked off at purchase time.

Tip 2: The support at Lacrosse told me to buy this "rubber conditioning spray" from their website (probably can get on Amazon) and it will greatly extend the use. They said to spray it on "after you use them for a while." Haven't tried it yet.
Posted By: jk

Re: Adhesive for rubber rand on leather boots - 03/07/19 05:37 PM

Lacross trapper boots here, last for years with armoral coating rubbed on occassionally, 3 or 4 times a year. The only problem then is that the to be patched surface have to be cleaned with acetone first then the patch and I use the soft radial tire patch not inner tube patches.......jk
Posted By: coop74

Re: Adhesive for rubber rand on leather boots - 03/07/19 05:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Adhesive for rubber rand on leather boots - 03/07/19 05:56 PM

Aquaseal has never not worked for anything I've used it on.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Adhesive for rubber rand on leather boots - 03/08/19 12:16 AM

Any good name contact cement, Barge etc.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Adhesive for rubber rand on leather boots - 03/08/19 04:49 AM

X2 on the Shoe Goo.
Posted By: H. Fitzgerald

Re: Adhesive for rubber rand on leather boots - 03/08/19 04:41 PM

I had the same problem. I used gorilla glue. I got a extra three more years out of those boots. Scrub clean with WATER only. contacts must be damp. then add glue and make sure you use enough. then find some way to hold it together so it binds tightly. I used 2 boards and a C clamp. Allow 24 hours to dry. .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums