Home

Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska

Posted By: snowy

Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/07/19 07:15 PM

Just inquiring about the population of Dall Sheep in Alaska and what area would be good to apply with an outfitter?
Posted By: white17

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/07/19 07:16 PM

Folks like Waggler can probably give you a good idea.

How old are you Snowy ??
Posted By: Posco

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/07/19 07:26 PM

If you don't get a satisfactory answer to your question, you might want to check this guy out. Roger is a friend of mine and he is/was one of the deans of Dall sheep hunting in Alaska. Both for himself and as a guide. He has several articles on sheep hunting and how to go about it on his site and I think he would point you in the right direction if you were to ask him. The pictures are breathtaking. http://www.huntingadventureswithrogermorris.com/

I took a couple of sheep but nothing big. Full curl rams in the thirty-five/thirty-six range.
Looking at the pic, Posco is on the left.
[Linked Image]

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/07/19 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by white17
How old are you Snowy ??

Suicide? That's what I was thinking.
Posted By: white17

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/07/19 07:37 PM

Death by ovis dalli rather than Salvador............

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/07/19 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Death by ovis dalli rather than Salvador............

Yep. [Linked Image]
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/07/19 08:16 PM

My daughter drew a sheep permit for this up coming season. She's 48 and tough as nails. LOl
She normally fly's sheep survey's for F&G but this year she's grounded due to a conflict of interest.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/07/19 08:22 PM

I’m pretty sure sheep counts are hardly accurate there Beav. Most times when the plane lands the counters are all sleeping.

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/07/19 08:28 PM

LOL

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/07/19 11:18 PM

Thanks for all the information. As far as how old, I'm old enough to know better but if I didn't make it out I couldn't think of a better way to go.

I do know it is a very demanding/physical hunt and can be extreme weather conditions. I have been on mountain goat hunts and they say they are the most physical hunt there is. I can't say if they are or not but I can tell you that you better be in top notch shape! Lol Pack up to 11 or 1200 feet and all on your back in and out not an easy trip. They also live on top of the mountain and in the shale/rock and steep. I also believe you have to be ready mentally for the challenge of hunts like those.

The Alaska Gulf area would you recommend that area or way up north?

Posco >>> beautiful pictures and thank you.
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 12:21 AM

I sent you a PM

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by snowy
I do know it is a very demanding/physical hunt and can be extreme weather conditions. I have been on mountain goat hunts and they say they are the most physical hunt there is.

Probably the most dangerous, too. One of the times...and there were very few...I thought I might not make it home to see my wife again involved chasing mountain goats. About the time I realized I couldn't climb any higher, I realized I couldn't climb down. I froze in fear. I'm sure I wouldn't have survived the fall had I slipped.

The Wrangell Mountains are notorious for big sheep as are the Chugach Mountains. The Alaska Range carries some large rams. You could probably do alright in the Brooks. Tough decision.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 12:29 AM

At 61 just regular mountains are tough, it sure would be a tough hunt going that far up hill

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20
At 61 just regular mountains are tough

I'm fifty-nine and find many things, including sex, are just as much fun to think about as to participate in. I've had a good run and can't complain.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 12:47 AM

Yup, can't believe it, hope I get my elk before I fall over! Lol
Posted By: jarentz

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 01:02 AM

Days of hunting sheep keep you younger!

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by jarentz
Days of hunting sheep keep you younger!

Like they say...what doesn't make you stronger kills you.
Posted By: James

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Posco
I do know it is a very demanding/physical hunt and can be extreme weather conditions. I have been on mountain goat hunts and they say they are the most physical hunt there is.

Probably the most dangerous, too. One of the times...and there were very few...I thought I might not make it home to see my wife again involved chasing mountain goats. About the time I realized I couldn't climb any higher, I realized I couldn't climb down. I froze in fear. I'm sure I wouldn't have survived the fall had I slipped.

The Wrangell Mountains are notorious for big sheep as are the Chugach Mountains. The Alaska Range carries some large rams. You could probably do alright in the Brooks. Tough decision.

By God, that exact thing happened to me on my goat hunt thirty years ago. I had no choice but inch upward and hope it didn't get any steeper.

On that hunt we climbed from sea level to 4,000 feet with all our food and gear for nine days. We both got decent goats, but I swore it would be my last goat hunt.

I did half a dozen sheep hunts, and none were as tough--or as dangerous--as the goat hunt.

Your best bet on a guided sheep hunt may be in the Brooks Range. If you happen to put in and get drawn for a Chugach (Unit 14) sheep hunt, give me a call. I know where the rams usually hang out there. Got my nice ram there.

Jim
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 01:23 AM

I'm a sheep guide. I have nothing to say. I'm just being entertained. Good luck!

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dirt
I have nothing to say.

Why? Give us some of that guide input.

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 01:34 AM

They really like the green fly with a white stripe. smile

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 01:38 AM

James >> that is awesome.

James and Posco I have know exactly what you mean about not sure if you will make it off the mountain in some of the those goat hunts. I could tell a lot of stories about them but none had an easy step to them. Very dangerous and I would say goat is the most challenging and mentally draining.
I was on a goat hunt one time with a guy that did marathon races, and worked out all summer getting ready for this goat hunt. Lol He was smart man.

When I first saw him I knew I was in terrible on this hunt because this boy was ripped and in shape. Well, long story short he barely made it off that mountain. He wanted to ditch his gear, gun and stay up there. He was in bad condition by the time we made it back to camp. It was 23 hours of packing up and packing back. It was a long day and over half was in total darkness with head lamps and treacherous terrain and bad weather conditions. I made it out easy and he struggled badly.

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 01:40 AM

I'm a sheep guide. I have nothing to say. I'm just being entertained. Good luck!

What area do you guide in Dirt?

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by James
By God, that exact thing happened to me on my goat hunt thirty years ago. I had no choice but inch upward and hope it didn't get any steeper.

On that hunt we climbed from sea level to 4,000 feet with all our food and gear for nine days. We both got decent goats, but I swore it would be my last goat hunt.

I did half a dozen sheep hunts, and none were as tough--or as dangerous--as the goat hunt.

Your best bet on a guided sheep hunt may be in the Brooks Range. If you happen to put in and get drawn for a Chugach (Unit 14) sheep hunt, give me a call. I know where the rams usually hang out there. Got my nice ram there.

Jim

Pics!

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 01:47 AM

You still snagging fish?

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 01:49 AM

One thing about it, when you needed a rest all you had to do was lean ahead just a little, and rest against mountain wall. Scary !!! Lol
Posted By: ambush32

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 02:17 AM

If this is incorrect info or I’ve crossed the line with this member please let me know.

I believe from reading his blog on here he’s a guide in Alaska.
AKHOWLER?

I’ve been reading his stuff for a while and if I ever had to hire a guide in Alaska I’d certainly go with him. JMO

Sorry if this is incorrect. Just a thought.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4211144/41

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 02:20 AM

One thing about it, when you needed a rest all you had to do was lean ahead just a little, and rest against mountain wall. Scary !!! Lol

I pushed the envelope in a lot of things in my younger days, snowy. Things I couldn't dream of doing today. I managed to survive them all.

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 02:22 AM

What are his chances of drawing a permit?

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 02:24 AM

If I were in the market for a sheep guide, I'd hire Dirt.

He's not worried at all about health insurance, so he must be a young guy in good condition, ie, perfect for packing out meat.

And he doesn't know what he's talking about on most topics, so I bet (by process of elimination) he must know something about sheep.

Seriously, I would hunt with him, if he'd have me.

Jim

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 02:30 AM

http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.com/afb/cohoflies.html

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Posco

I pushed the envelope in a lot of things in my younger days, snowy. Things I couldn't dream of doing today. I managed to survive them all.

^ Yep, me too!

James >>> thanks.

The Beav >>> not sure on drawing one but going with an outfitter he has the license for ya. I would never DIY on a hunt like that. It will cost 20K plus but well worth it.

Tactical.20 >>> that elk hunt should be pretty easy for ya. Them boys are down on good traveling ground not on top of the world like a goat.

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 03:10 AM

I would never DIY on a hunt like that. It will cost 20K plus but well worth it.

Everything I did was DIY, I never liked the idea of guides. You're forced to use a guide if you're not a resident or have family living there willing to take you.

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 03:26 AM

Ya, if you lived there would be a whole different game. I would do a DIY hunt with a partner but not other wise.

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 03:28 AM

Ya, if you lived there would be a whole different game. I would do a DIY hunt with a partner but not other wise.

Better find a good partner. My wife complained less than a lot of guys I hunted with.
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 04:12 AM

I used to be a sheep guide and I agree with Dirt.

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by newhouse114
I used to be a sheep guide and I agree with Dirt.

He said he had nothing to say. Which part of that do you agree with?

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 04:32 AM

Both, I expect.

Jim

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/08/19 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by James
If I were in the market for a sheep guide, I'd hire Dirt.

He's not worried at all about health insurance, so he must be a young guy in good condition, ie, perfect for packing out meat.

And he doesn't know what he's talking about on most topics, so I bet (by process of elimination) he must know something about sheep.

Seriously, I would hunt with him, if he'd have me.

Jim

Bad recommendation. But you don't know why.
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska - 03/09/19 02:11 AM

I know where Dirt hunts. Kinda makes the rock pile I hunted in the Chugach look easy.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums