Home

Anyone still using cash

Posted By: snowy

Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 03:52 AM

First there is no, federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. I heard on news today that some states I can't remember which ones, but they are passing legislation that businesses have to except cash for payment of goods or services. If they don't they will be prosecuted for breaking the state law.

I have a hard time if a business wouldn't take cash for payment. That is totally wrong in my book, I have cash and pay with cash for almost everything under 50 bucks or so. It is money that I get from buying and selling, trading and barter through the year.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 03:56 AM

Cash is king . I wish we could do away with the penny though .
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 03:59 AM

I pay cash for nearly everything. I do use a card at the gas pump. If you prepay in cash, I’d never leave with my tank full.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:00 AM

Yep, I agree cash is king for me also. I like having the Benjamin's in my pocket. Lol You throw one of them down and they are grabbing their marker to make sure it is good. Lol It just makes me smile.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:02 AM

I 've been to hotels that don't take cash.
Posted By: James

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:04 AM

I use my credit card for almost everything. Earns me airline mileage, and besides, my wife leaves me with a mostly-empty wallet.

She's afraid I'll spend it if I have it.

Jim
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson

That's because if you trash the room they have no credit card to charge for the damages.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

That's because if you trash the room they have no credit card to charge for the damages.

Takes a credit or debit to book them. They take payment in cash.
Posted By: cat_trapper_nv

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by James
I use my credit card for almost everything. Earns me airline mileage, and besides, my wife leaves me with a mostly-empty wallet.

She's afraid I'll spend it if I have it.

Jim

I’m the same way. To me it doesn’t make sense to use cash when I can get cash back or miles using my credit card. I paybit off at the end of each month, to have to pay any interest. So if I’m not using my Southwest card, I’m leaving money on the table.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:08 AM

I'm about 50/50. However, I think every business should accept cash.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:17 AM

I pay cash , for fur, glands used traps and what not. I do the same with used car and pickup parts. And by all means cash is king. ( but is the king present) my business is not set up for cards but we take checks also, and have only been stung once.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:19 AM

I almost always pay for a hotel at check out. That is debt I owe. Cash is legal tender for debts. I'm pretty sure they have to accept cash at this point. smile

"The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled “Legal tender,” which states: “United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues.”

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. "
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:25 AM

I put absolutely as much as I can on my credit card. The only thing I've found that I can't put on my CC is my mortgage. I jump cards every year and get the cash back bonuses for spending so much in the first 6 months. Currently have a discover card that gives me 1% back on all my purchases on it throughout the year, and at the end of the year they match that back. I didn't have to do anything but use the card to gain that money. It's a nice little bump at the end of the year. This year I plan to buy a pistol with it. I've got around $400 back for the year and on May 6th that'll become $800. I can just credit it right back to the card after I make a purchase. The problem with CC is people that don't pay them off every month and eat up those nasty interest rates. I have all of my household bills taken out of the card every month without me even lifting a finger, and that drops my bills to one payment. I'd be just fine if cash wasn't a thing anymore. I've had plastic since I was very young my parents were smart enough to get my credit line started and teach me how to do it responsibly. I'm only 32 but the last time I ran a credit report I was at about 815...
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:26 AM

Most dont for employee saftey. Cash on hand only 1 or 2 employees on duty front door open all night type of thing.

I use a card for most things but strictly cash for things i dont want paper trail on.
Posted By: Woodsloafer72

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:31 AM

There is other ways to pay for things? I don't even have a checking account, let alone a credit card.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:31 AM

^ my understanding they don't have too. There is no, federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services.

Place of business don't want to deal with cash, to many issues with employees pocketing money. There are many other reason they don't want to except cash also. A lot of places want to go paperless and do away with cash and not sure the Gov. is on board with it also, but would be a hard sell.

My wife uses CC on everything.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by snowy
^ my understanding they don't have too. There is no, federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services.

Place of business don't want to deal with cash, to many issues with employees pocketing money. There are many other reason they don't want to except cash also. A lot of places want to go paperless and do away with cash and not sure the Gov. is on board with it also, but would be a hard sell.

Can't really blame them. It's a convenience thing in this world too. Don't have to deal with wondering if the cashier can count, don't have loose change in every pocket of pants I wear, don't have to worry about my daughter pulling a Benjamin out of my wallet and ripping it in half, and the list goes on and on. Cash used to be king when you wanted to buy something while dickering but in all honesty it doesn't do you a whole lot of good anymore from what I've found. They get their money whether you're holding some bill 200 other people have touched or one little piece of plastic. Mine's constantly earning me money as well can't say that about the $1 bill riding in your wallet. They are making apps now that take your purchases rounded to the nearest dollar, and take that change and invest it in the stock market. You don't even realize you're missing the money and it's put away to grow. Times they are a changing.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 05:13 AM

Cash card for me it's just so darn easy. When I moved to SD many years ago they had counter checks from the local banks at the stores just pick one up fill it out and pay for your stuff but give them a credit card and that was a problem then.
Posted By: cat_trapper_nv

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 05:20 AM

My wife uses CC on everything.

Amen. I don’t think State or Federal laws should dictate how any company operates. If they want to accepts only cash or only cards and you don’t like that, then don’t shop there. Freedom to shop where you want to shop and freedom to run your business how you want to run it. It’s what makes free market awesome!!!!
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 05:51 AM

I don't spend much on a day to day basis, mainly gas once a week with the debit card, got tired of waiting inline while people chit chat and scratch off lotto tickets . Like to pump and go. Paycheck is direct deposit so a trip to town every week for cash doesn't make much sense. Debit card is very convenient and comes out of my bank account. That being said , all big purchases are paid in full with cash, as I refuse to make payments or carry debt.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 07:34 AM

Around here I wont buy gas if they wont turn the pump on. When Im off somewhere I use my cc. I like cash. Cash works when the computer has a "glitch". Cash doesn't get shut off because it got hacked without you knowing about it. Cash is anonymous. If I buy a spool of snagging line at Bass Pro I see no reason to ID myself by using a card or giving my phone number. All this data collection makes me nervous. I don't understand how it can benefit me in any way.

You don't have to worry there will be a problem that shuts off cash when you need it most.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 10:11 AM

I like to carry cash incase computers are off forwhat ever reason. Problem is if the cashier aint aleast 30 they cant count change, lol. Some cant even have buisness even if they have electricity everywhere else , they couldnt trust employees with out a way to keep track. I use card with cash back and have to use debit card so much a month or the bank charges me. Plus someone in the area has been making their own $20 bills and it would be my luck to get one in change and try to pass it off and get caught passing funny money.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 10:25 AM

Conventions, golf bets and some restaurants is my use for cash mostly.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 10:46 AM

It is federal statute that any recognized tender be accepted as payment for any debt. Further, if you offered payment but they refuse to accept, legally the debt is still paid. So if you show up with a wheelbarrow full of pennies and they said, "I'm not taking that", then you can wheel it all right out of there plus that bill is paid.
Posted By: cablejohn

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 11:35 AM

First there is no, federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. I heard on news today that some states I can't remember which ones, but they are passing legislation that businesses have to except cash for payment of goods or services. If they don't they will be prosecuted for breaking the state law.

I have a hard time if a business wouldn't take cash for payment. That is totally wrong in my book, I have cash and pay with cash for almost everything under 50 bucks or so. It is money that I get from buying and selling, trading and barter through the year.
When we are a cashless society you will not have your money from buying and selling without a trail that will be taxed!
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 11:48 AM

A cashless society is a dangerous thing. Control of your own life would be essentially out of your hands.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 11:56 AM

Businesses that are rental based will normally let you pay in cash but they want that credit card on file.for.damages you may cause. Unfortunately just for convenience I do 99 percent of my transactions electronically. Direct deposit, online banking, debit cards and credit cards are just to easy. In my business if I didn't take electronic payments I would lose a lot of work. People just don't use cash anymore.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 12:29 PM

It's are own fault that people under thirty can't count,or tie Thier shoes,or tell time.,what a joke!!
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 12:46 PM

When at all possible I use cash with any purchasing.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 01:23 PM

I'm about 50/50. But in my business I'd much rather get cash or even checks. The reason you guys are getting all this free mileage and money is because they are charging 2%-4% on the businesses that take it for payment. I now only accept visa and MasterCard, discover and American express were charging me 3.9% so I no longer will except those
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 01:25 PM

Cash is King....debit card next and credit cards suck

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 01:26 PM

^ exactly what I was told. I just bought my licenses the other day on CC and had to pay 3.3% above on total sales for using a CC.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 01:27 PM

Always cash with one exception.

Osky
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 01:38 PM

I like cash nice to hold and see instead of a statement that says what you might have
Posted By: LDW

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 02:10 PM

Can't imagine life without my debit card. I do have a CC I use for my mowing business, use it to pay for gas and any repairs .Only have 1 bill to pay instead of paying for stuff daily. That being said, when I go to buy something private treaty, I take cash. Its amazing the power of $100 dollar bills. Saved $800 on a used pickup and $900 on a trailer for my mowing business. Pull out a wad of $100 and you can see the change in their expression. When I see the look, I know I got them.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 02:44 PM

Only green for me. If someone don't want my cash, I'll find someone who will

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by LDW
Can't imagine life without my debit card. I do have a CC I use for my mowing business, use it to pay for gas and any repairs .Only have 1 bill to pay instead of paying for stuff daily. That being said, when I go to buy something private treaty, I take cash. Its amazing the power of $100 dollar bills. Saved $800 on a used pickup and $900 on a trailer for my mowing business. Pull out a wad of $100 and you can see the change in their expression. When I see the look, I know I got them.

Lol >>> I love those Benjamin's and they talk for themselves. I just hope I never get a bad one though from someone. Lol
Posted By: gregh

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 03:02 PM

I can not imagine using a credit card for all my purchases, First I do not want to have to keep up with trying to remember every cc purchase i make. I know that I can go on line and find out where I spent the money but that would be a pain in the but also. With cash I can look in my wallet if the cash is not in there I do not make the purchase it is just that simple. Also I do not want anyone to be able to track every dime I spend. When this world goes to requiring that all transactions use a credit card (and it will) We will be in a very bad place.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 03:11 PM

^ for me I actually watch my money more closely with cash but some have said, they would spend it faster if they used cash. I'm with ya, world will be in bad shape if all business is done with CC.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 03:23 PM

Plastic is KING!

I like to carry a few hundred cash just in case. Almost all purchases are with CC or debt card. My biggest out of pocket expense is gas. Irving gas has a program that gives $0.06 off for every gallon & an extra $0.10 off of the next 20 gallons after every 50 gallons, if I use their card. Plus, all of my CCs return at least 1% to me. Also, with a credit card I have a permanent record of all purchases. Cash is king guys are dying off and lots of people have no use for cash.
Posted By: white17

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 03:38 PM

I always carry cash but I honestly can't remember the last time I used it. Has to be a couple years at least. Oh wait. I think I used cash at the skeet range a couple years ago.

Credit card for everything!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 03:44 PM

Cash or Barter here.I do use a debit card once in a while.
Banks are always trying to push the credit cards ad nauseum.I just tell them to quit that stupidity,as credit is responsible for all the chaos in the economy by people constantly refusing to pay.They just run them up,several at a time,then walk.
The poor suckers that pay theirs off all the time are being charged hidden fees intrest etc to cover all the losses from the deadbeats using the "system".The banks and credit card companys know that these losses are rampant,so they get it back from the honest suckers.
Soon everything will be bitcoin,and then it will be total control by big brother.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 03:46 PM

privacy, anonymity, are not to be taken lightly. there is to much government oversight now. corporations and other business don't need to be able to spy on you either. there is no way that intrusion benefits those being intruded on. can't stop it but you don't have to participate willingly either.
Posted By: kenny k

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:06 PM

Cash is King ! I can get better deals . I also use a Debit card & money orders ,And that's how I got out of debit.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:06 PM

bitcoin is the opposite of big brother.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:07 PM

use cash nearly daily

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:09 PM

bit coin can not be carried in your wallet or locked in your gun safe
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:10 PM

[quote=white17]I always carry cash but I honestly can't remember the last time I used it. Has to be a couple years at least. Oh wait. I think I used cash at the skeet range a couple years ago./quote]

Current bills or are they Colonial Currency? lol

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Banks are always trying to push the credit cards ad nauseum.I just tell them to quit that stupidity,as credit is responsible for all the chaos in the economy by people constantly refusing to pay.They just run them up,several at a time,then walk.
The poor suckers that pay theirs off all the time are being charged hidden fees intrest etc to cover all the losses from the deadbeats using the "system".The banks and credit card companys know that these losses are rampant,so they get it back from the honest suckers.
Soon everything will be bitcoin,and then it will be total control by big brother.

I'd sure like to understand how people are charged " hidden fees and interest" if they pay their bill in full each time??
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:13 PM

Yes, I use cash 90% of the time. I don't carry the checkbook or a bank card if I need either one of those my wife is usually close by.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:24 PM

Yep. My card is free. I pay it off every month. Borrowing money on a credit card is a bad idea. If you need a loan get it at the bank. I think people get in trouble with cards because of impulse spending.

Using your card for all purchases to get points is somehow benefiting the card company. I'm sure a lot of it people spend to much and cant pay the balance. The company makes money off the interest. Rest of the story though those incentives are offered to people with good credit histories so you would think only a handful go in debt far enough to pay any interest. I am nervous about offers to save money by handing over personal information like where and on what I spend discretionary money.

I use mine to buy stuff online or get gas someplace where there are not a lot of good options. Its a good tool but IMO its silly to tell a card company 100% of what your buying and where.

If the cc company knows why would anyone think its not information traded and sold?

How does that benefit the person who is being tracked?

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:33 PM

That data really can be handy at tax time though. I can get an itemized, categorized breakdown of every penny spent. Plug it into the right forms and it saves a lot of time and record keeping.

I don't receive targeted ads from my CC company but I sure do from places like Amazon or other online sites where you just "look" at things. That is the whole point of 'tracking' ,as Danny mentions. Targeted advertising.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 04:44 PM

I went to send a package last week, at UPS. I opened up my beavertail wallet to remove the cash for payment....the clerk says “We don’t take cash”..... I said....we have a problem.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 05:10 PM

Didn't Yogi Bearra say in one of those Aflac commercials " They give you cash which is a good as money" ?
'

'

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 07:29 PM

Bartering is good for a lot of small or medium transactions.Not everyone can take advantage of bartering however as it requires goods,services,in other words skills that are in demand.The more skills one has the more bartering can be done.In colder climates fur articles are a great medium for barter.
Posted By: mask bandit

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 07:30 PM

I don't use any plastic at all , cash only. I got rid of my credit card about 4 years ago , best thing I ever done.
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by white17

I'd sure like to understand how people are charged " hidden fees and interest" if they pay their bill in full each time??

Boco the Loco

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 08:05 PM

Your loco if you think you are using their services for free.Retailers even add on percentages to the price of goods to cover their costs of doing credit card business.Same as insurance companys,you,the honest sucker pay for the scammers abusing the system.
Life insurance-another suckers game.Your betting that you will die,and they are betting you will live-what a stupid bet for anyone to take.
Hired purchase(credit) is what ruined the economy a few years back.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 08:13 PM

Every credit card or debit card charges the seller a percentage. The vendor then passes this along to the consumer, so while the person using the card is not charged directly, it is an excise type fee which is passed along to all consumers.
The best credit card is Discover in their cashback program and American based consumer service for credit. Their debit card is 1% cashback, but is a good card as long as you keep money in the account. Next up is American Express in the cashback and from there it all goes downhill.
Wells Fargo makes you use your accounts 10 times per month or they charge a direct fee. Other banks require a yearly activation or they confiscate the funds.

Pay your fees off every month is the first rule and the second rule is that use your credit card as an itemized record for your income taxes in business deductions.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 08:20 PM

I prefer barter as it cuts out ALL the leeches.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 08:29 PM

I mostly take in cash, followed by PayPal followed by Postal money orders. Most purchases I make are with cash. Most gasoline and diesel I buy is paid with a debit/credit card, so I don't have to go in and wait. My electric bill, insurance and internet are paid online. We shop online fairly often. My mortgage is paid by check. I don't ever want to see cash go away, but I suspect it will.

Keith

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 08:55 PM

Your loco if you think you are using their services for free.Retailers even add on percentages to the price of goods to cover their costs of doing credit card business.Same as insurance companys,you,the honest sucker pay for the scammers abusing the system.
Life insurance-another suckers game.Your betting that you will die,and they are betting you will live-what a stupid bet for anyone to take.

cc copies charge merchants a transaction fee in the form of a percentage, but when was the last time you saw different prices for credit card users? I pay balance back every month, and get 1.5% back across the board. So you are the one paying for my CC privileges....lol

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 08:56 PM

Yep, gas is paid with cash also. When I buy a good cowboy hat or boots I generally have to pay with CC. I hate it but not a lot can do if buying online.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 09:02 PM

Right,they do all their business for free,lol.You keep believing that passthru as your bank account dwindles,keep paying the leeches.lol.They got you so badly fooled you think they give you money,lol.
I haven't payed anything on hired purchase for many years now,even big things like new vehicles I pay cash.When I bought my House 30 years ago I had more than half covered for a down payment and borrowed only what I had to.I don't believe in paying other people a cut for using their money.I make payments to myself and earn intrest,not someone else.
And all that low intrest rate BS is a bunch of bunk too.If you think you are paying 0% on anything your an idiot.Like Neil Young said-"they give you this but you pay for that"
Posted By: K52

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by pass-thru

cc copies charge merchants a transaction fee in the form of a percentage, but when was the last time you saw different prices for credit card users? I pay balance back every month, and get 1.5% back across the board. So you are the one paying for my CC privileges....lol

I have seen a lot of online ads for gun sales that add 3% if you use a CC for purchase.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 09:13 PM

no debt and no credit cards.debit card,cash,or go someplace else

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 09:16 PM

Right,they do all their business for free,lol.You keep believing that passthru as your bank account dwindles,keep paying the leeches.lol.They got you so badly fooled you think they give you money,lol.
I haven't payed anything on hired purchase for many years now,even big things like new vehicles I pay cash.When I bought my House 30 years ago I had more than half covered for a down payment and borrowed only what I had to.I don't believe in paying other people a cut for using their money.I make payments to myself and earn intrest,not someone else.
And all that low intrest rate BS is a bunch of bunk too.If you think you are paying 0% on anything your an idiot.Like Neil Young said-"they give you this but you pay for that"

You should boycott cry any business that accepts credit cards without charging an additional fee....otherwise it's YOU that's paying MY rebate
laugh

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 09:50 PM

No,you are paying not only your own rebate but more than that,You are also paying for all the losses incurred by the credit card companys by deadbeats who run up card after card and never pay,lol. Do yourself a favour and cut up your credit card.Like I said,I barter,or pay cash.Sometimes debit,but at least I know what the bank charges are for that.I always pay myself,not others,that is how you get ahead at a young age,then there is no looking back.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 10:49 PM

UPS doesn't take cash anymore. The USPS does but only half as much. I'm glad UPS didn't take mine. lol

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by pass-thru

You don't think the merchants aren't adding 3to5 percent to the cost of goods carte blanche because of all the card usage and to cover any fraud they may incur?
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 11:15 PM

I'd rather use cash than anything else. It is simple and the government can't keep record of everything you buy.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 11:24 PM

Ya, we are paying for the dead beats and the processing for CC usage. Who do yo think is paying for that, I will tell you it isn't the business paying for it, they aren't just handing out credits to be a nice guy. LOL We are paying even though it appears we are getting all this credit for nothing.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 11:39 PM

Good lord you guys probably have a pile of cash buried in the ground for the day it’s worthless. Even if the consumers (us) are paying more due to credit card purchases you’re still paying that even if you use cash. Credit cards aren’t going anywhere which is the only way you’d see that inflation disappear. Why not make some money back off it? Those of you paying strictly in cash hoping for a return to the stone ages are the ones losing money. I go to the store and the product costs exactly the same cash or credit. You just have to be smart enough to not get in debt. If I swipe my card I’ve got cash to cover it in the bank.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 11:41 PM

I got ahead by NOT using hired purchase.
Barter is best because of the haggle factor.
Cash is a lot better for haggling down prices also.
There is a reason why all push hired purchase and want to get rid of cash,And heres a news flash-it aint for your benefit.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 11:45 PM

Boco no offense but not everyone lives in the bush living off the land. I doubt more than 5 people in my town even know the definition of barter.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 11:50 PM

Learned this from my son. You get a price from the OWNER of a service you need. Then asked “what’s the cash price?”. Win win for everyone.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 11:54 PM

I barter my labor for other services and product from people.
Posted By: brianmall

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 11:58 PM

Cash is king!

Everything else is a deduction

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/09/19 11:59 PM

Heck

I barter for live stock, guns, bullets, fire wood, music lessons, maintenance on vehicles, and anything else I need.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 12:00 AM

Here soon I will get my garden tilled to remove 4 burn barrel s

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 12:47 AM

Bartering is not only for rural.If you have things that people want barter is no problem.I barter with one of the largest snowmobile dealers in Ontario.I get parts and service for bikes and snowmachines and he takes fur product in exchange,and sells it in his showroom.
Everyone is open to barter.
You need to have a bit of charisma and get along well with people.You have something they want and they have something you want-no need to pay skimmers.
I barter for all kinds of stuff-welding services plumbing electrical all kinds of stuff.
People wont barter for stuff they don't want or need,that is why if you are skilled at a lot of things and\or are a good worker,barter becomes a lot easier.
Of course you cant barter for everything like tax bills,hydro bills etc.but you can barter in trade for cash to pay those bills.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 01:01 AM

Boco- what percentage do you guess that your bartering makes up your "income"?

I tried to be part if a bartering group years ago but it kind of fell a part. Not much charisma in me either.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 01:12 AM

For sure retailers include card fees in the pricing. But everyone pays those whether paying cash, debit, or credit card.

Lets look at a real-world example.

Suppose you have 2500 bucks cash and want to buy a whole lot of new traps. I want the same thing .

You buy yours and hand over the cash. I use a credit card.

We are both satisfied with the transaction. So lets say the transaction took place on February 8. In early March I receive my CC statement and see that I owe 2500$ and that it's due on April 3. That's 54 days after the date of purchase.

In my money market account I am currently earning 2.46% 7 day rate annualized.

When my due date rolls around I make an electronic transfer to my CC company to pay my bill in full.

For the 54 day period between purchase and payment I earned $11.07 on that $2500 purchase. If I was Pass-thru I would also receive an additional $37.50 cash back.

But my card gives me airline miles on Alaska Airlines. That 2500 miles is worth $68.75 in terms of air fare.

So tell me again how I am paying more by using a credit card .

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 01:19 AM

How much does your credit card purchases have to do with your income?I barter for things I buy/need.I have a pension from working 36 years on the railroad on the gangs as a foreman and as a Beaver control foreman.I never heard of a bartering group it is always between me and whoever is supplying what I need.If someone doesn't want/need what I have they always want/need cash money.
Bartering is no different than buying and selling it just cuts out some of the leeches with their hands in your pocket.whenever you can negotiate it.
Same reason the powers that be don't like people using cash,and are always pushing credit.
They say you are paying for their "services"and for some those services may be legitimate,but not for me.They try their best to discourage cash use.When I get a motel room in the city they say they don't take cash but when you pull out the big wad they change their tune,I tell them they can hang on to a grand until I check out in case there are any incidentals.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 01:25 AM

When I have cash I never pay the asking price on a big money purchase.I always get a lower price for cash,often the taxes are taken off.Which here on 2500 bucks would be 5% or 125 bucks.
In order to use the air miles you have to spend more money,and if you don't fly they are useless.Dont forget what Neil said-they give you this but you pay for that,lol.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 01:27 AM

I have done that with my dentist once or twice but you aren't going to walk into Timmy"s and negotiate a price for a donut and coffee. That applies to almost everything you buy.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 01:28 AM

I wouldn't by a timmies and a donut with a credit card either.(or a debit card either).
Credit cards are fine for some I guess,but not for me.
I am constantly being bombarded with gold and platinum card offers,they go into the trash.
Its getting harder all the time to use cash.Especially when travelling.
Can you still get travellers cheques? or are they obsolete now.I used to use those when I was travelling the world back in the 70's.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 01:43 AM

Having a high credit rating, by wise use of credit cards is a good thing when done right.

That good credit is what counts in financing a home, or a loan for whatever reason. Not a few endeavors wont allow anything but a cc , at very least , in holding till the transaction is decided upon.

Not a thing wrong with using them as a good tool, like any other tool that serves well.

A high credit score can help one get important things done .

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 01:49 AM

I wouldn't by a timmies and a donut with a credit card either.(or a debit card either).
Credit cards are fine for some I guess,but not for me.
I am constantly being bombarded with gold and platinum card offers,they go into the trash.
Its getting harder all the time to use cash.Especially when travelling.
Can you still get travellers cheques? or are they obsolete now.I used to use those when I was travelling the world back in the 70's.

I suspect you can still get travelers checks but I'll bet you have to search for them. Credit card is much safer and more convenient than that though.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 01:52 AM

I bet a lot of people never heard of travelers checks

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 02:03 AM

I bet your right.
Traveller cheques are like a prepaid credit card.I thought they were pretty safe when I was in shady places like the Gorbels in Glasgow,or in Govan in Edinburgh,or some of the steel towns like Corby in England.I could fold them up and keep them in my money belt.They were also easier to use back in those days-no electronics.Today they would be no good I bet.
Probably people never heard of moneybelts either.
Back in the old days don't forget there were no bank machines,computers or anything like that.
When I travel now I don't hang out in those kind of rough places,so cash is king-the US dollar in fact.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 02:12 AM

Looks like you can;

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/prepaid/travelers-cheques/service-center.html

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 02:13 AM

I bet your right.
Traveller cheques are like a prepaid credit card.I thought they were pretty safe when I was in shady places like the Gorbels in Glasgow,or in Govan in Edinburgh,or some of the steel towns like Corby in England.I could fold them up and keep them in my money belt.They were also easier to use back in those days-no electronics.Today they would be no good I bet.
Probably people never heard of moneybelts either.
Back in the old days don't forget there were no bank machines,computers or anything like that.
When I travel now I don't hang out in those kind of rough places,so cash is king-the US dollar in fact.

I have a money belt. Used it all the time in Asia

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon
Having a high credit rating, by wise use of credit cards is a good thing when done right.

That good credit is what counts in financing a home, or a loan for whatever reason. Not a few endeavors wont allow anything but a cc , at very least , in holding till the transaction is decided upon.

Not a thing wrong with using them as a good tool, like any other tool that serves well.

A high credit score can help one get important things done .

True, in this day and age no matter what method you pay, a credit rating is out there on you somewhere.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by white17
For sure retailers include card fees in the pricing. But everyone pays those whether paying cash, debit, or credit card.

Lets look at a real-world example.

Suppose you have 2500 bucks cash and want to buy a whole lot of new traps. I want the same thing .

You buy yours and hand over the cash. I use a credit card.

We are both satisfied with the transaction. So lets say the transaction took place on February 8. In early March I receive my CC statement and see that I owe 2500$ and that it's due on April 3. That's 54 days after the date of purchase.

In my money market account I am currently earning 2.46% 7 day rate annualized.

When my due date rolls around I make an electronic transfer to my CC company to pay my bill in full.

For the 54 day period between purchase and payment I earned $11.07 on that $2500 purchase. If I was Pass-thru I would also receive an additional $37.50 cash back.

But my card gives me airline miles on Alaska Airlines. That 2500 miles is worth $68.75 in terms of air fare.

So tell me again how I am paying more by using a credit card .

Using your example, I'll do better than that, I'll save approximately 187 using cash minimum

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 02:24 AM

Back in the day you could use traveller cheques in bars,or to get a room,pretty much like cash anywhere.You just had to sign them when cashing and they compared the two signatures-easy to get caught if you tried to forge one.
I remember back about late 70s me and a buddy,a miner from the NWT were in florida for the spring break for 3 weeks,we had traveller cheques.
Anyway my buddy came in one night with two girls and said come on down to this bar.I was hung over bad so passed.Next day he said hey I lost my wallet last night.i said do you remember the bar you were in,its a long shot but maybe someone found it there and turned it in after cleaning it out.he said last thing he remembered was dancing with a bunchof girls and figured he got pickpocketed.We went down to the bar that morning in our rented T-bird went in and asked the bartender if he found a wallet.He threw his thumb over his shoulder and said look in that box.There was a box full of wallets,lol.Joey dug thru the bunch and found his wallet.His cash was gone but all his traveller cheques were still there.LOL
Party on!
Posted By: super cub

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 02:49 AM

I use my credit card at the gas pump other wise cash. Wife and I went on a little vacation last summer, we stayed in motels 5 nights and not one would take cash, couldn't beleave it
Posted By: 160user

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 02:57 AM

I am not even sure I have a credit card anymore but fewer and fewer places are taking cash. It sucks!
Posted By: adam m

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/10/19 03:30 AM

I try to use cash as much as possible. For me it's easier to manage money in the hands vs on plastic.
Posted By: beeman

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/22/19 06:16 PM

I use cash back CC's. I have saved myself thousands over the years when purchasing new vehicles. I also use my Cabelas to hopefully get me a Henry Golden Boy in the future. I have new Scheels card that sends me gift cards for using their card.

I have heard of farmers using their GM card to pay for as many farm expenses that they can and use the cash back to buy a new pickup ever year or two without putting out any of their own money or at least a smaller amount.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/22/19 06:26 PM

I find it hard to believe that what folks think they are getting from credit cards for "free" Is true. They are in business to make money, so how are they giving you more free stuff than the profit they made from you?

They would soon be broke if you got more than you gave, not?

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/22/19 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
I find it hard to believe that what folks think they are getting from credit cards for "free" Is true. They are in business to make money, so how are they giving you more free stuff than the profit they made from you?

They would soon be broke if you got more than you gave, not?

Consider the likelihood that MANY, if not MOST people carry an outstanding balance on the credit cards. They may not have much "room" on their card to charge more every month. It is very likely that the issuing bank is making a lot more in interest than they are 'paying' in cash back programs. So in the aggregate, the bank can easily afford to offer those types of rebates.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/22/19 06:39 PM

I can see that.

In other words, the ones posting here are saying they prosper from the ones who hold the same card with an outstanding balance?
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/22/19 06:42 PM

I can see that.

In other words, the ones posting here are saying they prosper from the ones who hold the same card with an outstanding balance?

Correct. The responsible ones are benefiting at the expense of the irresponsible ones.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/22/19 06:46 PM

I can see that.

ZACKLY !!
Posted By: mjh

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/22/19 06:47 PM

we offer our customers a 10% discount if they pay in cash!
Posted By: cci

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/22/19 06:47 PM

Will places that wont take cash accept debit/bank cards?
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/23/19 12:24 AM

If you die owing a million dollars do you die a millionaire?
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/23/19 01:14 AM

Found some gas stations that take anything but a credit card, and that also means no debit cards, but then found one that wouldn’t take anything but cash. I would say its free choice of the business and your free choice to not do business with them. I use credit cards as much as possible for fraud protection compared to checks or debit cards, I carry cash just for emergencies.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/23/19 02:34 AM

A good ole guy at church had a brother die in Arizona and he flew out there for the funeral. Some body else got his ticket but when he got to airport he had extra luggage, I think he said $35 worth. Well he don't have a credit card to his name so he went to pay in cash but they said they couldn't take cash, he started getting ill with them and they called a higher up. Long story short they waived the fee on the luggage cause they could't take cash and things was about to become a scene.
Posted By: cci

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/23/19 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
Found some gas stations that take anything but a credit card, and that also means no debit cards, but then found one that wouldn’t take anything but cash. I would say its free choice of the business and your free choice to not do business with them. I use credit cards as much as possible for fraud protection compared to checks or debit cards, I carry cash just for emergencies.

Anything but a credit card. You mean cash only?
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/24/19 12:04 AM

No forgot the word wont,”they wont take anything but a credit card”, sometimes my fingers cant keep up with my mind.
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/24/19 12:04 AM

Have a ctry. store that only takes cash for gas.
Posted By: run

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/24/19 12:36 AM

The Pilot truckstops that I see offer a cash discount on Diesel fuel.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/24/19 12:53 AM

I only take cash from individuals.I will take a cheque from a business.
No plastic.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/24/19 01:03 AM

As long as a society has an evil force referred to as taxes there will always be the use of cash.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/24/19 01:04 AM

ps cash is king!

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/24/19 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
A good ole guy at church had a brother die in Arizona and he flew out there for the funeral. Some body else got his ticket but when he got to airport he had extra luggage, I think he said $35 worth. Well he don't have a credit card to his name so he went to pay in cash but they said they couldn't take cash, he started getting ill with them and they called a higher up. Long story short they waived the fee on the luggage cause they could't take cash and things was about to become a scene.

That is bull s*** they wouldn't take it. it is money they need to accept it.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/24/19 02:28 PM

Cash is king when the tax man does not get his 25 percent plus. This only applies to immoral people that avoid taxes. Too bad nobody on here avoids taxes.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/24/19 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
Cash is king when the tax man does not get his 25 percent plus. This only applies to immoral people that avoid taxes. Too bad nobody on here avoids taxes.

Who would actually do such a thing? Just terrible.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/24/19 02:32 PM

cash, guns, or tractors, it's all tradable.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/24/19 02:33 PM

the taxes are more immoral than the people workin around them Dirt.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/24/19 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
Originally Posted by Dirt

Who would actually do such a thing? Just terrible.

Al Capone and Boco

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/24/19 02:52 PM

I always pay my taxes.As a matter of fact there is a lot of advantage claiming all your income,as it allows for capital cost allowances on equipment.
Plus royalty(tax) is paid on all fur either when sold raw,or when it goes to the tanner,which goes back into the fur program.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/24/19 02:55 PM

Oh Canada
Posted By: Quartermastersir

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/25/19 12:23 AM

If you're not giving me a discount for cash, I use the credit card. I'm not stuck in an either/or, one is always better than the other world.
For example:
When I go to a trapping convention, I use credit card for room, meals and gas. None of those entities are going to give me a discount for cash. Gas is so much a gallon for CC or cash. Big Mac is not giving me a discount for cash. Room from a chain is probably not going to be discounted for cash, that's why I use Travelocity. (whole nuther subject)
you might be able to get a cash discount from a sole owner motel.
But once I'm in the convention small, unmarked, non sequential, bills are all I use.
I get cash back from the credit card company, and since I pay my bill completely every month, and use the card to pay for things I use and need, I consider this free money.

Back in the day when everybody used cash or wrote checks the business I worked for had the bad check "Wall of Shame", this was usually more than the 2-4% that the CC companies would charge them. So it was in their best interest to accept the CC's guarantee of a lesser amount than have to chase after all the bad check writers.
Posted By: eric space

Re: Anyone still using cash - 03/25/19 12:46 PM

Cash makes for good friends and few enemies. I am surprised that the taxing capital of the world (Trenton, NJ) has not made cash illegal in NJ so they would have a record of and could tax every transaction. Heck, I now have to pay a rain tax because my driveway is longer than 50 feet.

Re: Anyone still using cash - 07/09/19 10:30 AM

“Cash is King”. Could tell ya examples but the IRS might lock me up!
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Anyone still using cash - 07/09/19 12:52 PM

rarely,,too many credit cards with point advantages..i just pay off monthly. 5% back gas,2%groceries, 1.5 everything else. Now that im retired i need all i can get. Can still use to tax advantages on write offs
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Anyone still using cash - 07/09/19 06:16 PM

I prefer to pay with cash whenever I can. If cash isn't an option, then I prefer to pay with a check next. If that's not an option, then I will use a credit card.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums