Home

Spoonbill snagging (updated with pics)

Posted By: Railroader

Spoonbill snagging (updated with pics) - 03/12/19 03:42 AM

Tuesday morning... Me, my wife, and our two boys are hitting Grand Lake for some guided spoonbill snagging. Fishings been hot lately but sounds like its gonna rain so who knows how it will be. It’ll finish off our mini Spring Break vacation after going to Wonders of the World at Bass Pro and Branson. Sounds like we are gonna be fishing the Twin Bridges area that some of ya’ll will be at next weekend. I will hopefully be posting some pics and a fishing report tomorrow evening.
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/12/19 06:22 AM

If you dont have good luck there and you have time to spare hit fort gibsom dam great spoonbill snagging there. Just make sure to smash down your barb on the hook or use a barbless hook.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/12/19 09:03 AM

Guided spoonbill snagging? Didn't know there was such a thing. if it keeps raining they will be at Osawatomie and Burlington. don't forget Chetopa.

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/12/19 10:39 PM

Yes we did go out with a spoonbill guide this morning. He had us on our first fish within a minute of putting the first line in the water. Didnt even get the third of four lines in before my wife caught the first 30 lber of the day! Fishing was hot right off the bat but slowed down quick as the fish started spreading out. We put in at Twin Bridges and headed toward the lake about a mile or so. Fished about an hour before the rain started in. No sooner than we got back to the ramp the thunder, lightning, and wind came in. We had a blast and caught some nice fish. Now i just need to buy me a boat! Here’s a few pics from our trip.

Attached picture 57A742A3-C448-4CA0-9D6D-CF9C9BBE68B0.jpeg
Attached picture 377F5856-E752-442F-AF08-4A1EDAED8B77.jpeg
Attached picture 78254CD2-1447-406D-B811-F18AA21F552C.jpeg
Attached picture 0C5352F9-7810-488F-85DF-4C77098692A9.jpeg
Attached picture AC198E6B-1EED-4FF2-928F-AA71B9EFE743.jpeg

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/12/19 10:43 PM

nice
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/12/19 10:51 PM

Nice going looks like a lot of smiles!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/12/19 10:53 PM

If you like catching spoonbill you might want to plan a trip for Lock and Dam #2 on the Arkansas River in southeast AR. It is where the White, Arkansas, and Mississippi rivers meet. Not much in that area but one heck of a fishery for most fresh water species.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/12/19 11:37 PM

Thank you for sharing. Do you guys eat the spoonbill? My wife likes fishing and that is one fish we have never caught.

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/12/19 11:49 PM

Yep we will be eating them. They were a blast to catch and put up a great fight. My 8 year old kept the first fish he caught, a 27 pounder, because he was exhausted. Got almost 35 pounds of meat between the four fish we kept. This was our first time spoonbill snagging but definitely wont be our last.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/12/19 11:51 PM

Thank Railroader sure looks like you guys had fun.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/12/19 11:52 PM

Looks like you guys had a great day!
Posted By: HondaXR250

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/13/19 12:16 AM

If any of you happen to clean and keep your fish, could you please send me a message? Im looking to get a large head off of a spoonbill. Thanks and good luck fishin!

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/13/19 12:39 AM

John-Chagnon, they are delicious. Have to trim a lot of red meat. No bones. Like sharks. Only bones are in the head. That red meat is good coon bait and fair on coyotes and cats.
Posted By: hrdtoflw

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/13/19 12:48 AM

Railroader, were you with Pritchard this morning? If so, we saw ya'll coming in to the ramp. We caught several today also!
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/13/19 01:57 AM

Real nice fish. I want to get a European mount of one pretty bad. Did you troll to get them or just casting?
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/13/19 02:00 AM

[Linked Image]

Priceless!

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/13/19 02:14 AM

Danny - we had the Oklahoma Paddlefish Research Center come down and pick our fish up and clean them for us. They took all the red meat strips off the fillets and bagged them up for us at no cost.

Originally Posted by hrdtoflw
Railroader, were you with Pritchard this morning? If so, we saw ya'll coming in to the ramp. We caught several today also!

Yep that was us with Pritchard. Glad to hear someone else was catching some as well. Good luck to you if you’re sticking around and fishing some more.

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/13/19 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Matt28
Real nice fish. I want to get a European mount of one pretty bad. Did you troll to get them or just casting?

We were trolling for them. Yeah a euro would look pretty darn good in a guys man cave!
Originally Posted by Marty B

[Linked Image]

Priceless!

Yeah he was struggling to hold that sucker up.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/13/19 02:33 AM

That all looks like a great time.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/13/19 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Yes we did go out with a spoonbill guide this morning. He had us on our first fish within a minute of putting the first line in the water. Didnt even get the third of four lines in before my wife caught the first 30 lber of the day! Fishing was hot right off the bat but slowed down quick as the fish started spreading out. We put in at Twin Bridges and headed toward the lake about a mile or so. Fished about an hour before the rain started in. No sooner than we got back to the ramp the thunder, lightning, and wind came in. We had a blast and caught some nice fish. Now i just need to buy me a boat! Here’s a few pics from our trip.

You were about 15 minutes from my house. Nice haul!

Mike

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/13/19 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

You were about 15 minutes from my house. Nice haul!

Mike

What town do you live in Mike?
Posted By: hrdtoflw

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/13/19 04:34 AM

It looks like your family had a great day ! Congrats.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/13/19 11:39 AM

[What town do you live in Mike?

Afton

Mike
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/13/19 02:37 PM

What does the meat look like?
Is it good to eat?

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/13/19 03:22 PM

Our guide said it looked kinda like a pork chop and honestly thats about right. Havent eaten it since i was a kid so i dont really remember what it tastes like.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/13/19 04:26 PM

Sounds like the red meat isn't very palatable and gets chucked. Is the rest of the meat white like a panfish or dark like a bullhead?
Posted By: Len Dunham

Re: Spoonbill snagging (updated with pics) - 03/13/19 05:26 PM

It is a white meat after triming. This fish does not taste like most fish.
Posted By: K52

Re: Spoonbill snagging - 03/13/19 05:27 PM

That red meat is nasty, eat any of that and you won't eat spoonbill again. Like Danny said great coon bait and full of oil. Put some in a pocket and create an oil slick.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums