Home

1100 miles of observation

Posted By: Pawnee

1100 miles of observation - 03/12/19 03:02 PM

Took the family on a trip for spring break. First time for me east of the Mississippi, and our first big family trip in 6 years. We decided to let each boy pick a trip during their last year at home. Had to let one of the twins pick a year early and he placed the pin on Georgia

1) Missouri, what’s up with the adult shop billboards ever 5 miles?? That was great with 4 teenage boys onboard! I told them that must be why it’s the “show me state” lol. Other than that the Arch was great and pretty country. St. Louis traffic was a nightmare for a country boy.

2) Illinois, Southern Illinois looked like good corn ground and real nice looking country. SE Illinois was a surprise with how quick it moved from farms to woods.

3) Kentucky, wasn’t there long, but the Ohio river was unbelievable!!

4) Tennessee, Nashville was again a traffic nightmare! Other that that nice people and fantastic looking country.

5) Georgia, finally here at our cabin, and didn’t die on the interstate. Good grief the traffic! The mountains are as beautiful as I had imagined. Headed out to see the sites and go pick a few antiques.

Passing through all 5 states 3 things astounded me. The amount of people, trees, and water. I have never in my life seen so many of all 3.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/12/19 03:09 PM

Pawnee, I hope one of your kids picks the Great State of Maine..You'll be in for a real treat...
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/12/19 03:15 PM

Have a Blast! Family vacations are Great!
Posted By: 20scout

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/12/19 03:21 PM

When I drove truck I would see and experience things just like this. Small town country boy driving a big rig through big cities was a nightmare but the water, woods and hills made up for it! Lot's to see and experience out there and glad to see your sharing it with your family like this!

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/12/19 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Redknot
Pawnee, I hope one of your kids picks the Great State of Maine..You'll be in for a real treat...

I’m saving Maine for the wife and I after the kids are all out of the house. A trip there in the fall is on my bucket list.

20scout, I cannot get over the idiots looking at their phones while driving 80mph. Complete disregard for the well-being of others.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/12/19 04:27 PM

Come on further down the state and see the real Ga....here in the Swamp.
Posted By: hippie

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/12/19 05:12 PM

Lol Pawnee, my first trip west I was astounded by the lack of water! I'd see a bridge and a sign saying xxx river only to look down and see a dry crick-bed.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/12/19 05:22 PM

That phone thing is a real problem. Make sure when you go back through Illinois that if you have any guns they are unloaded in a case. The state police here look for things to write tickets for....

Southern Illinois is beautiful. I live on the prairie ground in central Illinois. Corn and beans grow great here.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/12/19 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
Originally Posted by Redknot

I’m saving Maine for the wife and I after the kids are all out of the house. A trip there in the fall is on my bucket list.

20scout, I cannot get over the idiots looking at their phones while driving 80mph. Complete disregard for the well-being of others.

Remember fall comes early in Northern Maine, photo from 17 Oct. & 28 Oct

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rockfarmer

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/12/19 05:37 PM

Pawnee, I 70 is loaded with that crap. And ST. Louis is a nightmare. Lots of pretty drives on other roads and nice small to medium size towns. Take a look at the old route 66 thru southern Missouri on your way back. Will be much better. Have a fun trip.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/12/19 05:37 PM

Maine Wisconsin and the U.P. of Michigan are all real nice eastern states. Just stay north of Milwaukee/Madison in WI. If you go back to GA, go when tree ripened peaches are available. They are wonderful

S.W. IL has the best apples. Around Carbondale if you ever get back that way at the end of summer.

Marion and Moultrie reservoirs are in S. Carolina. (Santee/Cooper) You aint in KS states are small. If you like catfish and you have time spend a day fishing.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/12/19 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Baer
That phone thing is a real problem. Make sure when you go back through Illinois that if you have any guns they are unloaded in a case. The state police here look for things to write tickets for....

Southern Illinois is beautiful. I live on the prairie ground in central Illinois. Corn and beans grow great here.

Well Illinois used to sell CDLs all over the US but since that racket blew up now we have to trap unsuspecting tourists for what ever brings in some money. And if you buy any lottery tickets in Illinois its just a gamble ( pun intended ) if they want to pay or not. Just been a couple of weeks since the states computers messed up and the local gas stations etc. paid out what the computers said, and it was too much. State said they would reimburse them for the errors but the vendor would have to be the first to innitiate the refund. State can't even keep their computers straight (rather than crooked).

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/12/19 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Baer
That phone thing is a real problem. Make sure when you go back through Illinois that if you have any guns they are unloaded in a case. The state police here look for things to write tickets for...

I tried to research the states I was going through before I left. I stopped researching after i got to Illinois. How in the world do they expect a guy to protect his family by having his gun unloaded and in a case? Crazy

Nice pics ebsurveyor Maine looks beautiful
Posted By: KeithC

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/12/19 09:28 PM

If you're going to go back through St. Louis on the way home, I recommend taking your sons to the City Museum. They should have a great time there.

https://www.citymuseum.org

Keith

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/12/19 10:17 PM

This guy is in our cabin. I hope all the cats don’t look like this down here

Attached picture D14A79EA-6E44-4A47-BE57-77A752C96306.jpeg

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/12/19 10:20 PM

KeithC I’ll have the wife look at that thanks
Posted By: bobsheedy

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/13/19 12:13 PM

That's a fun trip. Folks don't realize what a great country we have. Great people too.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/13/19 01:53 PM

Hope the trip is great!

Only bad part about driving to Maine is you cant take a firearm through one of those states before you get to Maine(cant remember which one)

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/14/19 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
Hope the trip is great!

Only bad part about driving to Maine is you cant take a firearm through one of those states before you get to Maine(cant remember which one)

I don't think that is accurate. Might be some special rules for handguns, I'm checking now.

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/14/19 08:25 PM

You better be real careful not to let anybody know you are armed in Massachusetts, Connecticut, or NY. I don't think it matters if you have 14 permission slips and your firearm locked in a case locked in the trunk and the ammo locked in a case locked in the glovebox. Your going to be harassed by L.E. if they discover you are in possession of a firearm. That part of the world anybody that owns a gun is considered to be up to no good.

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/15/19 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
You better be real careful not to let anybody know you are armed in Massachusetts, Connecticut, or NY. I don't think it matters if you have 14 permission slips and your firearm locked in a case locked in the trunk and the ammo locked in a case locked in the glovebox. Your going to be harassed by L.E. if they discover you are in possession of a firearm. That part of the world anybody that owns a gun is considered to be up to no good.

FWIW your experience may be different than mine. I travel to these states to compete in their trap shooting tournaments & I travel through them many many times each year. If they wanted to hassle shooters they could just set up at the entrance to the shooting grounds and get 100's of customers each day of the tournament. I haven't seen or heard of a problem and I've been doing it for the past 40 years. I do know that NY allows pass throughs with hand guns, but you can't have one in your possession, if you stay in NY, without proper permits.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/15/19 12:58 AM

I Think its new hampshire that allows no guns from out of state

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/15/19 01:44 AM

New Hampshire your fine.

you get caught with a handgun in a semi truck in conneticut massachsetts or new york your getting arrested and charged with a felony. Same with several other states.

somebody sees a shotgun in the trunk of your car, calls the police and says they are scared ( not unlikely in that part of the world) you will get stopped searched checked and questioned. If you have a clip or accessory or semi auto deemed illegal by the communists in charge your going to jail.

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/15/19 01:48 AM

That's why I say don't let anybody know you have firearms. trapping hunting skeet shooting just MYOB and drive right on through.
Posted By: run

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/15/19 10:17 AM

New Jersey is bad for firearm carrying people. I talked to a guy that did jail time for carrying .22 rifle in his trunk.
Posted By: Mac

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/15/19 10:34 AM

Pawnee
Thanks for sharing about your trip. Hope you get a chance to visit Maine. I have been to most parts of the country and have yet to find a place I like better.
Mac
Posted By: run

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/15/19 10:41 AM

Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia are even better than Maine for regular tourist stuff. Maine's still nice. I am not trying to bad-mouth Maine. I'm just saying there is more to see North/ East of Maine.

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/15/19 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by run
New Jersey is bad for firearm carrying people. I talked to a guy that did jail time for carrying .22 rifle in his trunk.

You got that right. I stopped going to NJ with guns, I used a Suburban and it was very difficult to comply with their laws. I think I'll be OK now with a truck and the guns & ammo all in the bed of the truck. Found this online.

"Guns in Vehicles in New Jersey. New Jersey prohibits any person from transporting, possessing or having a firearm in his or her control in a motor vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded and contained in a closed and securely fastened case, or locked in the trunk.Oct 9, 2018"

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/15/19 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by run
Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia are even better than Maine for regular tourist stuff. Maine's still nice. I am not trying to bad-mouth Maine. I'm just saying there is more to see North/ East of Maine.

Not if you carry firearms, which I always do. Maine allows concealed carry for residents with no permits, non-residents need their permit from home. Don't try taking a hand gun to Canada. Comment for Danny, back in the day some of my long distant truck driver friends carried skeet gun when on the road.

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/15/19 05:01 PM

New Jersey, Philly and New York City. No reason for any sensible human being to go there.

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/15/19 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
New Jersey, Philly and New York City. No reason for any sensible human being to go there.

South half of NJ is good. I'll be shooting their State Trap Shooting Championship in a few weeks. I drive through Philly a few times a year, which is to many times & sometimes I sneak through NY City between 3 & 5 AM, I try it about once every two years.

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/15/19 05:08 PM

Good luck.

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/15/19 05:19 PM

Serious question for us eb.

How much longer do you think we can fend them off? I know here, dead center in Pa., there are a ton of folks that sell their place in Philly, buy one here for 1/5th the money and then turn around and vote for the same people they are running away from. Crazy at best!

Re: 1100 miles of observation - 03/15/19 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Serious question for us eb.

How much longer do you think we can fend them off? I know here, dead center in Pa., there are a ton of folks that sell their place in Philly, buy one here for 1/5th the money and then turn around and vote for the same people they are running away from. Crazy at best!

Good luck. I gave up on PA ten years ago and bought a cabin in Maine. They recently passed a law allowing concealed carry with no permits. I'd be a Maine resident but their state income tax is a killer. Maine is being overrun my Massholes, but for now they seem to be mostly after hunting & trapping. The only hope is for everyone to wake up and go vote, not for free stuff but vote for freedom.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums