Home

Maple time

Posted By: The Beav

Maple time - 03/12/19 09:10 PM

Tapped 110 trees today. Some weeped a bit but most of them were dry.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Maple time - 03/12/19 09:27 PM

runnin hard here today,about perfect for it
Posted By: 080808

Re: Maple time - 03/12/19 09:29 PM

Start here Thrus. Slooooow Spring.
Posted By: Ross

Re: Maple time - 03/12/19 10:14 PM

Things are winding down here. We probably have another week left. We collected 38 gallons off of 50 taps today.
Posted By: VH60

Re: Maple time - 03/12/19 10:50 PM

I never made maple syrup before . I've been wanting to do it for a long time so this year on February 28 I tapped 10 trees . As of today I've made close to two gallons of the best tasting syrup I've ever had . I've got two pots boiling on the camp chef double burner stove right now and about ten more gallons of sap left in the cooler to process . It is NOT cost effective as I'm boiling with propane but it was a bucket list kinda thing .
Posted By: novatrapper01

Re: Maple time - 03/12/19 11:38 PM

Temps just started coming above freezing the last couple of days here. Hopefully get a few taps in tomorrow.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Maple time - 03/12/19 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by VH60
I never made maple syrup before . I've been wanting to do it for a long time so this year on February 28 I tapped 10 trees . As of today I've made close to two gallons of the best tasting syrup I've ever had . I've got two pots boiling on the camp chef double burner stove right now and about ten more gallons of sap left in the cooler to process . It is NOT cost effective as I'm boiling with propane but it was a bucket list kinda thing .

Sapping is like trapping....not very cost effective....LOL

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 01:00 AM

This is my first year too. I'm having a blast. We've made 2-1/2 gallons so far. On track to make 10. I bought a 2x4 evaporator.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 01:08 AM

This is our third year. I just dumped $500+ into setting up a reverse osmosis system. We boil on the stove so I guess it will pay for itself at some point.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 01:17 AM

Going to put in a few taps on Friday, sure is late this year. A week ago it was 16 degrees below zero at my house.

Zim
Posted By: thouner

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 01:23 AM

Were tapping on saturday. Always look forward to this sure sign of spring, not used to doing it on snowshoes though.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 03:01 AM

We have too much snow in two plus of our larger woods, but the rain and warmth will sink that down and probably make a lot of mud!! We tapped 50 trees on Saturday, about 90 on Monday and another 100 today. We have about 250 to go! They sure ran this afternoon, but many times they do right after you tap them.

Bryce
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 02:01 PM

Guess I should tap my one yard tree but until the rain started yesterday it still had snow laying on the branches. Thinking if I tap right now going to have some rain water diluting things.. My one yard tree has been my indicator with my other trees usually running about a week after this one. So guess may as well tap it see what happens.

Mac
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Macthediver
Guess I should tap my one yard tree but until the rain started yesterday it still had snow laying on the branches. Thinking if I tap right now going to have some rain water diluting things.. My one yard tree has been my indicator with my other trees usually running about a week after this one. So guess may as well tap it see what happens.

Mac

Pace yourself, buddy.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 02:25 PM

I have 3' of snow around the trees still.
Seems like way to much work still.
Will wait a couple of weeks still.
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 02:25 PM

Figured all that syrup you put up last year would have lasted... Do you sell it Beav??

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 03:44 PM

Nope.

There are 4 of us In this deal. So by time we split It up and give some away It's down to a manageable amount.
My grand kids go through about 4 gallons a year. And All my land owner get a few quarts each. So It goes pretty fast.
Posted By: Drakej

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 04:06 PM

We're just small time but hope to get out 36 taps tomorrow if we can get up to our Bush thru snow, ice, rain and fog! Want to be ready for what looks like good temps next week. We only make a gallon or so of syrup for personal use. Use one of my how near empty fur freezers that I keep running for hold over bait/lure to freeze out water in cycles that reduces H2O by better than 75%, than only need to finish boil for an hour or so on stove. This works simple and cheap for small production. Only looses about 5% of sugar content thru frozen ice water. Which we saved one year to make great iced tea in summer.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 04:16 PM

Does anyone here make there own pan for the evaporator?

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 04:18 PM

Well This year were hooking up a reverse osmosis set up. One of the guys Is a real gear head and built It himself.
We never throw away the Ice.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 04:28 PM

Still healing from rotator cuff surgery and cannot tap this year. It would be a bear to plow a road open to the sugar house this year for sure.

Hope you all have a great season this year !
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 06:08 PM

So, I have two great big maple trees in my yard. Not sure what kind. How much syrup could I expect? How many taps? Both are over 3' in diameter that splits into 4 secondary trunks of 12-18" diameter.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 07:11 PM

That first pic sure looks like a silver maple from here, you can get syrup just a lot more water !
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 07:14 PM

I don't think it's a silver, based on the leaves last summer/fall.

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Does anyone here make there own pan for the evaporator?

Pike here is my set up and I'm just a piddler that makes few gallons for my self. Two 55 gallon drums for wood burner cookers. One has larger flat pan cut in I got at a restaurant auction. the other has two larger steam table Chaffing pans I also picked up at auction. Little bit of monkeying more I suppose than a fancy store built wood burner? But I go sit at my camper play with the fires in stoves almost constantly.. Drink a beer or two and just enjoy the quiet at the camper. Once get too Memorial day weekend it's not really quiet there again until after Labor day.

Here is pic of the one barrel with big pan 2016 set up.. couldn't find one with the barrel with double chaffing pan and both cookers running??? Probably on my other computer?

Pans and stove pipe was my only investment in this rest was all give me..
I believe some folks just cook right in a clean steel drum.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mac
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 10:55 PM

Like the pot of beans.

How low do you cut the stove pipe in?
Posted By: Arkiefur

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by VH60

Same here and I do it the same way and with the same burner. I made 19 pints this year. I'm in mid-west Arkansas and sapping has been over since the first week of Feb. Yes, propane is very expensive, but I sold enough at $20 a pint to pay for it.
Posted By: amspoker

Re: Maple time - 03/13/19 11:31 PM

Boiling some now. Very small time here. 3 pints so far.

[Linked Image]

Re: Maple time - 03/14/19 12:28 AM

Another 200 taps in today. We have about 100 trees we can't get to yet,maybe not this year if it does not melt down more. Tomorrow is our first collection run with about 320 trees to collect. Our gravity line we installed on about 100 trees was flowing so it will be interesting to see how this new venture works out.

Bryce

Re: Maple time - 03/14/19 01:22 AM

[Linked Image]
Ate a full quart on pancakes etc . Coming up with new ways to use it . MAPLE JACK !
Posted By: Squash

Re: Maple time - 03/14/19 11:31 AM

Here in Lewis County NY , largest maple syrup producer in the state, I have a friend that I help out each spring. He started tapping last Sat..
He has 3000 trees on a tubing vacuuum system and he hangs another 5000 with buckets. They made 800 gallon last spring. NYs Maple weekend is March 23-24, various sugar bushes open to the public around the state. If you have never been to a commercial maple syrup operation, it fun to see how the pros do it. Vacuum systems and reverse osmosis machines.

Re: Maple time - 03/14/19 04:11 PM

8000 trees tapped and 800 gallons of syrup? Even at 40 to 1 that is 32,000 gallons of sap from 8,000 trees or 4 gallons of sap per tree. Are you sure of your numbers? Around here with 8000 trees most would yield about 1500 to 2500 gallons of syrup with that many trees. Especially with a vacuum system that typically gets more sap per tree or tap.

Bryce

Re: Maple time - 03/14/19 04:22 PM

Sap ran good for us yesterday / last night. Got ~33 gallons off of our 18 trees. Couple of them had 3-4 gallons. Couple of them have barely given up a gallon of sap thus far. Not tapping them next year. Finished 3 quarts this morning. Puts right at 2 gallons so far. Running 40 or so gallons of sap through the ro system right now.

Good luck to you all.

Re: Maple time - 03/14/19 05:08 PM

WE called our booze and maple syrup Maple Glow. Rdfx has tested It. LOL

WE checked our trees today. So far not much happening will most likely collect tomorrow.

Re: Maple time - 03/14/19 07:33 PM

How are you guys making this maple syrup booze?

Re: Maple time - 03/14/19 07:55 PM

Oops, guess I already hit the post reply button.

Re: Maple time - 03/14/19 11:14 PM

Just add syrup to your booze. You could start with ever clear no sense In ruining good sipping whiskey. LOL

Re: Maple time - 03/14/19 11:23 PM

Well I was boiling up some sap and sipping some jack when the idea occurred to me . I added some of the day before syrup to the jack , thinned it out with some ice cold maple sap straight from the tree and a couple of ice cubes and presto Maple Jack , BRILLIANT !! or so I thought LOL > Hmmmmmm........ Ever Clear , I got some to add to ground castor to keep it from molding up . I'll have to try that with the syrup . The Gentleman Jack doesn't need anything . Thanks Beav !
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Maple time - 03/14/19 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.
This is our third year. I just dumped $500+ into setting up a reverse osmosis system. We boil on the stove so I guess it will pay for itself at some point.

Your kids will thank you! smile How is the rev osmosis system working out?
Posted By: krispcritter

Re: Maple time - 03/15/19 12:35 AM

I just cooled down my wood fired evaporator. Made 1.5 gallons. That puts me at 3 1/4 gallons made to date.

Re: Maple time - 03/15/19 12:36 AM

First collection today. We got 183 gallons from roughly 150 trees. Low sugar content at 2.1, so hope that changes. We have about that many trees to collect from tomorrow b4 leaving for the WTA meetings and banquet.
Tomorrow we collect from the gravity line trees we setup. Where we take our sap he has an RO machine. Some of the older syrup makers don't like using the RO system as they say because the sap is cooked less there is less of the stronger maple or caramel flavor. We like the late season dark syrup and the guy we take our sap too likes that as the more amber color syrup has higher value.

Bryce

Re: Maple time - 03/15/19 02:44 PM

I tapped my one yard tree yesterday and it ran right away. Also tapped the one tree in my son's yard couple blocks away. I don't know what type maple mine or his is just that they are different. His tree din't run a drop when I drilled it? Last year was first time I tapped my son's tree and what ever kind of maple it is it did not run now where near as much as mine. Even though his tree is twice the size of mine. I don't know. I do think if the weather is like they say it will be this coming week. My yard tree should run pretty good. I may also head to the lake and tap my trees there even though still lot of snow on ground. Those trees are smaller and seem to run a week or so later than here.
I haven't been out yet this morning to check my yard buckets, I'm sure there will be some sap. Just no idea how much.

Mac

Re: Maple time - 03/15/19 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by jctunnelrat

Your kids will thank you! smile How is the rev osmosis system working out?

The RO system is working very well. Our sap is starting out at ~2% and I am able to get it up to ~8%, sometimes higher. Seems like the beginning is higher but I don't know how high, my hydrometer only goes to 8. We boil on the stove so it is a ton less boiling for us.

Re: Maple time - 03/15/19 07:37 PM

Collected about 180 trees today and got 200 gallons. We are only getting 2% sugar the first collections. We are usually considerably higher. Not much happening today or for the next 2-3 days. Snow is down enough so my 4-wheeler can pull a small trailer out of the woods. We will tap our last 100 plus trees Sunday and Monday. Lot of road closings here yesterday and today. Makes moving around an interesting proposition.

Bryce

Re: Maple time - 03/15/19 08:24 PM

Not much here today. Too warm last night but the next few days look good and then we will quit next Wednesday or Thursday. Time to clean up some dead ash trees and start messing with my paw paws. Also way behind on the beer brewing. So many important things that need done.

Re: Maple time - 03/15/19 08:35 PM

We collected 160 gallons off of 115 trees. Not much of a run but next week looks like It could be a great run. 20s at night and 40s during the days.

Re: Maple time - 03/15/19 08:37 PM

Interesting question. We have a 2x8 and about 350 buckets. Wife claims she can taste difference in syrup having gone thru the RO process. When you remove a hi percentage of water are you also removing a hi percentage of minerals? In 8 yrs. she has never failed the test. lol. Not looking to cause a stir but food for thought.

Re: Maple time - 03/15/19 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by 080808
Interesting question. We have a 2x8 and about 350 buckets. Wife claims she can taste difference in syrup having gone thru the RO process. When you remove a hi percentage of water are you also removing a hi percentage of minerals? In 8 yrs. she has never failed the test. lol. Not looking to cause a stir but food for thought.

No. The way it works with the filters is you are removing all the impurities (sugar). The other end gives you pure water. You do, however, remove a ton of boiling time.

Re: Maple time - 03/15/19 09:53 PM

Temperature shot up yesterday and today . Today got up to 68 or so . One of the buckets had about 50 dead ants in the sap . I thought about filtering them but chickened out and dumped the sap . The next several days will be 20s at night and low 40s during the day . When do you quit collecting sap ? Does it just stop flowing or is there some other sign ?

Re: Maple time - 03/15/19 10:19 PM

Moths in buckets is one telltale.

Re: Maple time - 03/15/19 10:20 PM

Jerry jr. I believe with an RO your removing water.

Re: Maple time - 03/15/19 10:29 PM

When the sap becomes cloudy that Is the sign there Is bacteria growing In the buckets.
When the temps get warmer the sap flows up through the tree and when It gets colder the sap returns to the root system. This continues till the tree becomes pressurized then you have no flow. You should have quit before this happens.
Posted By: Drakej

Re: Maple time - 03/16/19 01:12 PM

Is one night cycle above are freezing(35-40F) in the middle of a two weeks of forecasted 40's days/20's nights enough to spoil second week of flow?
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Maple time - 03/16/19 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Drakej
Is one night cycle above are freezing(35-40F) in the middle of a two weeks of forecasted 40's days/20's nights enough to spoil second week of flow?

No not likely. Sometimes it will run all day and all night if it stays warm enough at night but you can't handle too many of those or it will cause the trees to bud. Early in the season almost no risk of it spoiling your fun. Late in the season and it could end everything.

Re: Maple time - 03/16/19 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 080808
Jerry jr. I believe with an RO your removing water.

You are separating them. Pure water comes out one line and the concentrate comes out the other. You want to keep the concentrate. When you flush the system you use the permeate water as not to introduce minerals from tap water. It is the same style system that you would use for domestic water. You have a pre-filter for removing solids followed by 3-5 ro filters with a needle valve to restrict the flow through the impurity (reject) side. This valve slows the reject flow allowing for a higher concentrate (or a higher yield of pure water). The only way I have to test the permeate water is with my hydrometer and it always reads 0. When I get home I will check tap water and see what it reads. I doubt I will be able to see a difference tho.

I guess what I am saying is that to my understanding if there are minerals in the sap they stay with the sugar. I suspect the difference in taste may be in the shorter boiling time.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Maple time - 03/16/19 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by bblwi
8000 trees tapped and 800 gallons of syrup? Even at 40 to 1 that is 32,000 gallons of sap from 8,000 trees or 4 gallons of sap per tree. Are you sure of your numbers? Around here with 8000 trees most would yield about 1500 to 2500 gallons of syrup with that many trees. Especially with a vacuum system that typically gets more sap per tree or tap.

Bryce

So maybe I got his exact amount of gallons wrong, big deal, he still is tapping 8000 trees, are you the Maple sap police ?

Re: Maple time - 03/17/19 05:02 AM

No, not police just inquiring as to why the syrup gallons seem below what is typical from what I have read and worked with.

Bryce

Re: Maple time - 03/17/19 12:40 PM

If your RO is set up correctly one line will be your permeate and this will be pure water. There should be no sugar in it. The other line will be your concentrate. Depending on the type of membrane and on how many, you should be able to go from say 2% to 6 in a single pass and some will go higher then 10% in a single pass. The advantage of an RO is that you reduce your boil time as you have removed a lot of water before in ever goes into your pan. With the reduction in boil time you should be able to make lighter syrup as it is not exposed to the heat as long. Some say that they can tell a difference. Research At the Proctor Maple Center have debunked this. No difference other then more sap converted to syrup in a shorter period of time which leads to tapping more trees to get more sap to run through the RO to make more syrup to dang I need a bigger evaporator, larger tanks, more taps, better go with tubing, need a larger sugar shack, ...........vicious cycle.

Re: Maple time - 03/17/19 01:01 PM

So if the RO leaves a guy with the pure water.. Are the big guys cycling that back in to their business in some way. Like bottling it as tree water? or maybe just for cleaning their system? Not saying that for a small operator it would be worth messing with. Except maybe to use in their steam iron or car battery, some other thing that would best use distilled water. Isn't that basically the same as distilled water? or maybe more like soft water?

Mac

Re: Maple time - 03/17/19 01:08 PM

The permeate is saved and stored for flushing, and cleaning the RO, cleaning the pan, vacuum lines, every thing related to maple as it is pure and leaves no residues behind that could effect the taste in the syrup. Takes a lot of permeate to flush out all the gunk from the RO membranes.

Re: Maple time - 03/17/19 02:02 PM

So do you have to flush and clean the membranes during the season?

Re: Maple time - 03/17/19 04:16 PM

If your pressures start to spike or performance declines then yes. If you have a lull between uses you need to do a flush, and it should be flushed/quick rinse after each use. The bigger systems are set up to do rinse/flush during idle times of usage. Mine is small. Only 12 to 15 gallons an hour processing. So 15 gallons of 2% sugar sap becomes 7 1/2 gallons of 6 % to 8% sugar and 71/2 gallons of permeate for cleaning. It saves me about 4+ hours of boiling on just that original 15 gallons.. Now figure 60 to 80 gallons to boil on a 2x3 divided flat pan, run it through the RO and you just saved a whole lot of time and fuel. My RO is matched to my boil rate of evaporation so in reality I can run it through my RO and straight to my head tank and everything is running at the same time.

Re: Maple time - 03/18/19 02:15 AM

Got 5 gallons of good sap yesterday and another 18 today. I figure I will get about the same tomorrow. I have to work dayshift tomorrow so it looks like I will be running the ro system tues morning. I sure hope my wife gets to boiling.

By the look of the weather forecast this weekend will be the end of it. Fine by me. We will have more than enough. Should give us 5-6 gallons. Considering that my boy and I are the only ones that eat it we will have more than enough to barter with.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Maple time - 03/18/19 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
So, I have two great big maple trees in my yard. Not sure what kind. How much syrup could I expect? How many taps? Both are over 3' in diameter that splits into 4 secondary trunks of 12-18" diameter.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Brian, I'm by no means an expert but I'd think you should be able to put a couple taps in each tree. How much sap you will collect per tree is mostly determined by weather. It's best when it goes below freezing at night above in the daytime. Up here in God's country, we are supposed to see the High 30s to possibly even fifties for highs the next three weeks, below freezing at night. Ideal weather. I'd like to make some syrup but I'm going fishing lol.

Gary, I have a buddy who made a RO system last year, he won't go back. IIRC he said 70 to 80 percent water removal.

Re: Maple time - 03/19/19 03:25 AM

I got my first sap in the pan today over LP burner, pan holds about 10 gallons. I had about 15-16 gallons of sap from my two yard trees one in my yard one in my son's yard..

First 10 gallons sap boiling
[Linked Image]

How do you keep watch on your boil while your in the house in kitchen doing other things..( Boil Cam!) Small TV in kitchen... I actually put the camera up to watch the smoker and grill, which is just out of view as I moved the camera on the pan. Can also move camera to watch for the dogs at the back or side doors.
[Linked Image]

The first jars of finished syrup for this year 3/18/19
[Linked Image]

Mac
Posted By: mudtracker

Re: Maple time - 03/20/19 02:14 AM

Kind of a poor year so far for me. None of my trees are running well. Lost my best ones in the tornado last fall. Oh well maybe that means the sap is extra high sugar content.

Re: Maple time - 03/20/19 03:05 AM

My wife and I have been playing around trying to figure out what dictates the final color or your finished product. We can not narrow it down much other than we think it is how hot/hard you boil. We have had everything from very lite to very dark.

What are the experts thoughts?

Re: Maple time - 03/20/19 03:06 AM

Our 2000 foot of gravity lines seem to be running quite well. Tomorrow will be the first collection from those 100 trees. Today was busy with not so much help we collected and delivered 416 gallons that was 3.3 on sugar today and put in tubs sap from another 100 trees. Tomorrow will be a big day also, but with more help.

Bryce

Re: Maple time - 03/20/19 10:27 AM

My wife and I have been playing around trying to figure out what dictates the final color or your finished product. We can not narrow it down much other than we think it is how hot/hard you boil. We have had everything from very lite to very dark.

What are the experts thoughts?

The amout of time exposed to heat will be the greatest factor. If your batch boiling everytime you add sap you increase the amount of time exposed to heat. You will have darker syrup.
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Maple time - 03/20/19 11:33 AM

Bacteria growth in the sap also causes dark syrup. This is why you tend to get more dark syrup towards the end of the season. Bacteria grows in the sap buckets, tubing, storage tanks ect.
Posted By: Zagman

Re: Maple time - 03/20/19 11:45 AM

[Linked Image]

Tapped Presidents Day in Feb but then temps dropped and stayed low.......got a bunch last week, then shutdown again. Anticipating a good run next couple days, and boiling all weekend.

Unfortunately, now cannot make trip to Sydney NATCA show.......

Zagman
Posted By: Craig S.

Re: Maple time - 03/20/19 02:57 PM

Awesome looking shack there Zagman!! Ive been cooking outside for about ten years but would love to build somthing similar to what you got there. I have the building materials laying around i just gotta get to doing it... Just curious - approximately what size is that?
Posted By: Beaglador

Re: Maple time - 03/20/19 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Zagman
[Linked Image]

Tapped Presidents Day in Feb but then temps dropped and stayed low.......got a bunch last week, then shutdown again. Anticipating a good run next couple days, and boiling all weekend.

Unfortunately, now cannot make trip to Sydney NATCA show.......

Zagman

Pottery Barn sure puts out a nice sugar shed!
Posted By: mudtracker

Re: Maple time - 03/20/19 06:29 PM

Shots fired lol

Re: Maple time - 03/20/19 10:00 PM

Very nice processing shack. Today was another big run day for us. We delivered a bit over 800 gallons of sap to our cooking setup. We have another 400 plus to get tomorrow. Sugar still holding nice at 3.4%.

Bryce
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Maple time - 03/25/19 04:56 PM

the land i trap on is just starting up there new operation.250000 trrees

Re: Maple time - 03/25/19 08:44 PM

250000 trees? I bet your not collecting by hand. LOL

Re: Maple time - 03/26/19 02:23 AM

WI is rated about 5th or 6th in the USA for maple syrup production. Wow quarter of a million trees!! Quebec produces over 50% of the maple syrup in the world, that makes things look pretty small around here.
We had another good run the last two days. We hauled in about 1200 gallons the last two days and that puts us up to about 3500 gallons. The last 3100 gallons have been averaging 3.3 on sugar. It only takes 26 gallons of that sap to make a gallon of syrup. Our processor takes the sap up to 12-14% sugar in the RO before cooking. He has cut his wood usage by 65% with the RO machine.

Bryce

Re: Maple time - 03/26/19 04:45 AM

Our sugar content has been around 2.3 and we didn't get the RO system up and running. Maybe next year.

Re: Maple time - 03/26/19 10:51 PM

Big run coming today. We had other projects to do. Tomorrow will be a long, long day. 147 gals. at 3.2. from 48 trees. 400 plus to go tomorrow.

Bryce
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Maple time - 03/27/19 12:31 AM

Boiled yesterday and got 3.5 gallons. Not a real good run here today but suppose to run tomorrow some. Guess I will be boiling tomorrow evening. May about wrap it up here for us. I think we are at 18 gallons for the season so far. That pic is old. No snow here!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Maple time - 03/28/19 10:48 PM

Got another 1 1/2 gallons today. Think my season is about over. How is everyone else doing?

Re: Maple time - 03/28/19 10:56 PM

Last two days we collected 1550 gallons from 350 trees! The last run was super. We have held 3% on sugar as well. Not running at all today so we are taking a 2 day break. With cold coming we may get another good run Monday-Wednesday. We are at 5500 gallons to date with a 3.1 sugar percentage. That is about 196 gallons of syrup.
Moths have been out for about 5 days for us so the end is coming soon. Our end date the last 3 years was about April 7th. We will see if we make it that far this year. We started collecting 13 days later than the last 2 years this year but the runs have been good.

Bryce

Re: Maple time - 03/29/19 02:59 AM

Pulled our taps and buckets today. Should finish with about 8 gallons of syrup. Gotta do some boiling tomorrow and that should be the last of it. Just gave the ro system a acid wash. Gonna give it the soap sometime tomorrow and then flush it.

Next year we will be keeping better notes. I write some things down about the ro but should have kept better track of how long it takes to run 50 gallons of sap.

Already thinking about getting more stuff and tapping many more trees. My wife is going to look into what is needed to sell it. Not sure it would be worth it tho with how small of an amount we would be making.

I need to find cheaper hobbies.

Re: Maple time - 03/29/19 03:08 AM

We pulled yesterday got 300+ gallons off 115 trees. So far we have about a 1000 gallons of sap. Will probably get about 34 gallons of syrup. We do It all by Armstrong method. LOl

Re: Maple time - 03/29/19 03:41 AM

Our 2000 foot of gravity lines seem to have worked out quite well. We need to head scratch on the emptying our barrels and keeping covers on as that process takes longer now. We pump into a 55 gallon trailer we pull with my 300CC 4-wheeler. It works good but when you get 450 gallons on a run it is 9 fill ups pumping in and out. About the same time to collect but 100 less buckets to dump and carry so yes it is an improvement. The part we put the line in has a lot of shrub growth so it is hard to walk through. Now we have to hope our home made line cleaning system works out for us.

Bryce

Re: Maple time - 03/29/19 11:17 PM

We quit last week. Sure makes February and March more enjoyable having something this fun to do.

Re: Maple time - 03/30/19 12:06 AM

Pulled my taps tonight. The sap was cloudy, smelly and tasted bad.......buddy. Was hoping for a few more days. I will boil off the sweet in my pan and start cleaning and putting everything away. Wife is happy that I will be able to get back to finishing up the kitchen.

Re: Maple time - 03/30/19 11:15 PM

We tore down the cooker today and washed all the buckets and taps and hoses. Looks like we will end up with about 35 gallons of syrup. I'm glad we're done.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Maple time - 03/30/19 11:18 PM

Good job Beav! Sweet rewards too!

Chris
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Maple time - 03/31/19 02:23 AM

Gary, don't forget about your minnesota buddy.

I think I'm going to tap on Monday.

Re: Maple time - 04/05/19 02:36 AM

The last run was huge. A bit over 1900 gallons in two days from 480 trees. Sap is still clear and sugar was 2.9 to 3.2 yet. We pulled about 80 buckets today. Total to date is 7600 gallons at an average sugar of 3.05 which makes 262 gallons of maple syrup. The darker more maple flavor syrup is starting now. That is what we like and the customers we have.

Bryce
Posted By: james dymond

Re: Maple time - 04/08/19 12:27 PM

Been to busy to get on here. Neighbor is making syrup and I have been helping. He has about 4200 taps some of the trees are mine. All on vacuum lines. Natural gas fired lappierre (sp) evaporator, with a RO system. Its a good year we have over 1000 gallons made should get some good runs yet. It all depends on the weather. After we get it from the RO the sugar content is around 14%. Cuts way down on the boiling time, we can make 40 gallons of syrup an hour. He sells it by the forty gallon barrel/ five gallon container and many small bottles both glass and plastic.

Mails some all over the US.

Jim

Re: Maple time - 04/08/19 12:58 PM

We hauled our last 200 gallons Saturday. Now it is clean up time!!! That is several days of work as well.

Bryce
Posted By: james dymond

Re: Maple time - 04/08/19 08:08 PM

Ya cleanup takes about two hours, we clean the tanks and evaporator after every boil.

Jim

Re: Maple time - 04/10/19 02:34 AM

That is a significant operation for sure. Good to hear you have enough cold weather left and the ground is cool so the sap runs up and down yet. We got the last of our buckets and taps pulled today. Mold was really starting the last 3 days! When one puts all the buckets, tubs, tubes, covers hauling tanks, pumps etc. back in the hay barn it sure is a lot of stuff. Pretty sore today from bending and scrubbing out 500 buckets the last 3 days!
We will pickup our syrup in a week or so and find out our exact sap amount and sugar content. We get paid by the point of sugar and also get syrup back based on our sugar content and our sap is some of the higher sugar they cook at this place. That helps pay for the gas in hauling all the sap.

Bryce
© 2019 Trapperman Forums