Home

Sourkraut recipe?

Posted By: NE Wildlife

Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 03:18 AM

Anyone have a easy sourkrout recipe they could share?
Thanks
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 03:19 AM

Iam watching this thread....
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 03:23 AM

Me too. Last month, I inherited a 10 gallon crock from my Grandfather.

Keith
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 03:24 AM

I've been using this for 20 years.

Its simpler then the recipe makes it seem.

g74 p. 20
Surprising Sauerkraut

A German cook explains a basic recipe for “raw” sauerkraut in a five-gallon container: “You will need a container of glass, porcelain, wood or earthenware (I use a plastic bucket and a plywood lid); but do not use a metal one. If you have a device for shredding vegetables, fine, but if not, cut each cabbage in half and then slice across the leaves, making about one-eighth-inch-wide cuts. In the bottom of your crock put a layer of shredded cabbage and then, using a pestle of some sort (something to press down the cabbage but not with sharp cutting edges on it), pack this down firmly, until you have about a four-inch layer. You can put into the crock a ruler or stick with every four inches marked off to know when you have the right amount for a layer.

“Now sprinkle a tablespoon of salt over the top of this layer. Proceed to pack down another four-inch layer and then sprinkle the top of this new layer with salt. Keep doing this until the container is nearly filled.

“Place four whole cabbage leaves on top of the last salted layer, then put a board on top (a piece of wood smaller than the opening at the top of the crock so that the board rests directly on the cabbage). Place a heavy stone on top of the board. For a five-gallon crock, a ten-pound or heavier rock would be good. When it is fermenting you may want to keep it in a warm place, but once it has turned to sauerkraut keep it in a cool place, perhaps your basement.

“And now for the hard part, patience! It takes about six weeks for the cabbage to transform and become sauerkraut. At the end of this time period, remove the top cabbage leaves and also skim off the residue at the top. Then remove the first one half inch or so (it will be darker than the rest of the sauerkraut) and below it you have enough good sauerkraut for many meals.”
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 03:29 AM

sauerkraut made that way is very healthy. lots of probiotics.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 03:29 AM

I do like Pike River. Including hand cutting the cabbage. The only difference is I use my longest finger to measure the cabbage layer. It’s definitely not rocket science.
The flavor from homemade is amazing!
Posted By: whiteotter55

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 03:30 AM

use a plastic bag with some water in it to seal the top, I never get any mold on top, works great

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by whiteotter55
use a plastic bag with some water in it to seal the top, I never get any mold on top, works great

Never heard of that and cant picture how that works. Is it a bag that drapes over the whole top then pour water into it? Do you have to leave a few extra inches of space in the bucket?

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 03:41 AM

Does it freeze well ? If so..any freezing tips ?

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 03:44 AM

What kind of salt ?
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 04:00 AM

When Mama and me made it last, I need to make it again this year, It was simple and came out great. The way we make it ya need a big fix and mix bowl, a scale, your cabbage, pickling salt, don't use regular salt or salt with Iodine, the crock or container to put it in (we used 2 4gal food save plactic buckets with sealing lids, a tater masher or anything clean to mash the cabbage with and if ya want to get fancy you can add onions and caraway seeds.

Clean everything really well, cut up cabbage in 5lb increments and put into big bowl. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of salt onto the cabbage and then mix it around real good. Then dump it in to your container.

Then mash it with a masher or do like we did and use your fist. When you mash it it releases the water in it and that's what you want. Now just keep doing that until your container is 3/4 full. You should have enough liquid to cover the cabbage, if not mix up a 1/2 cup of pickling salt to a quart of water and add it till it's covered.

Then put a weight on it. We used a field rock that we put through the dishwasher and we also used weights that I picked up at Lemans hardware, real handy. Then seal it up good and stick in a cool place. We did ours for a month and it was perfect.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 04:07 AM

I freeze it in ziplok bags every year but this one. I have been eating fresh kraut out of my container and using the lid to hold a jar down over a plate to keep the kraut down under an inch of fluid, and as I eat the fresh kraut, ever so often I change out that jar for a taller one. That kraut don't need freezing of processing. It cant turn into anything else.

Posted By: waggler

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Catch22
When Mama and me made it last, I need to make it again this year, It was simple and came out great. The way we make it ya need a big fix and mix bowl, a scale, your cabbage, pickling salt, don't use regular salt or salt with Iodine, the crock or container to put it in (we used 2 4gal food save plactic buckets with sealing lids, a tater masher or anything clean to mash the cabbage with and if ya want to get fancy you can add onions and caraway seeds.

Clean everything really well, cut up cabbage in 5lb increments and put into big bowl. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of salt onto the cabbage and then mix it around real good. Then dump it in to your container.

Then mash it with a masher or do like we did and use your fist. When you mash it it releases the water in it and that's what you want. Now just keep doing that until your container is 3/4 full. You should have enough liquid to cover the cabbage, if not mix up a 1/2 cup of pickling salt to a quart of water and add it till it's covered.

Then put a weight on it. We used a field rock that we put through the dishwasher and we also used weights that I picked up at Lemans hardware, real handy. Then seal it up good and stick in a cool place. We did ours for a month and it was perfect.

^^^^^^^^^^
Do it this way with the tater masher or anything else to bruise the cabbage after shredding it. Bruising the cabbage is an important part of the process as it releases an enzyme that is important to the process.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 09:14 AM

don't freeze it. that kills all the beneficial bacteria. just leave it in the fermenter. I make it in the crock from an old crockpot that died. you don't have to make 5 gallons. salt is salt. any of it will work
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 11:07 AM

I prefer canning salt as it doesn't have iodine.

I make mine in half gallon jars, I have a 10 gallon crock just prefer jars. I do like above, slice five pounds cabbage, mix in 3 tablespoons salt and pack it tightly into the jar. 5 6 weeks later it's done and I don't seal the jars, just crank the lid on
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 11:11 AM

Last question. how long after the 6-weeks and your using it does it last with out going bad. with the exception of eating it all. grin

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
don't freeze it. that kills all the beneficial bacteria. just leave it in the fermenter. I make it in the crock from an old crockpot that died. you don't have to make 5 gallons. salt is salt. any of it will work

+1 on both points

I'm cheap and use water softener salt in the blue bag.

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ronaround
Last question. how long after the 6-weeks and your using it does it last with out going bad. with the exception of eating it all. grin

Its kraut....its "bad" cabbage. It will just get more krauty
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 11:31 AM

You can start small in a quart jar on the counter to try it out. Little cabbage, little salt, repeat.
Posted By: lonewolf308

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 11:35 AM

Don't have a recipe on hand, but you can skip all the trouble of crocks and bags by using Fido jars. I've used them for fermenting and never had an issue. The gas escapes the seal and doesn't allow air back in. Warning they have to be actual Fido jars not the dollar store knock offs, something about the seal. I've made kraut, dill pickles, and assorted veggies in mine. They sell them on Amazon is several sizes
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 12:17 PM

My wife made it in jars,it came out awesome,shred cabbage ,pack jars,fill with water,table spoon of salt,tablespoon of vinegar optional,snug lid and place in cool dark place for three weeks,quart jars.be careful of the old crocks they contain lead.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 12:59 PM

Kraut is so good but Haven't had the home made stuff in years. I eat a lot of cabbage but do it in a sweet and sour method now.
Posted By: whiteotter55

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 02:50 PM

we make ours in a 30 gallon plastic food grade tub. we put a open heavy duty plastic bag down on top of kraut, pour water 2 inches deep in bag, tie a knot in top of bag, this way you can lift the bag up to take a pinch and check the fermenting, lower bag back down slowly and its sealed again
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 03:02 PM

Thanks for the recipe to the both of you.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Originally Posted by whiteotter55

Never heard of that and cant picture how that works. Is it a bag that drapes over the whole top then pour water into it? Do you have to leave a few extra inches of space in the bucket?

I also do the water-in-a-bag deal. After I get the shredded cabbage/salt mixture packed in the food grade 5 gallon pail, I cover the mix with cellophane so the bag-o-water doesn't actually touch the cabbage. I then use a couple regular garbage bags to put the water in....putting the bags in the 5 gallon pail first, then pouring the bags full of a gallon of water (or so). The idea is simply to keep air from touching the cabbage as it ferments. It makes it's own juice fast, so usually before your done packing the pail with the mix, it is getting juicy from the brine forming.. The plate with a rock on it that our grandma used was there for the same reason.....only to keep the mix under the brine as it fermented. Air is where the "bad" bacteria live...the "good" bacteria is already in the mix, and the fermentation is just it working it's magic. The "magic" takes time, and the length of time depends on the temperature where the pail is sitting. If you put it where the temp is maybe 60-65 degrees it can become good tasting kraut in as soon as 12-14 days. I taste test the stuff at that time, and if its tasty I pressure can it. If it doesn't have enough bite to it yet I let it sit a week and taste it again....repeat til it's where you want it. I tried the freezing thing and it was good, but now I just can it all in pint jars. I usually make a batch every other fall, 'cause I'm the only one in the house that will eat it....bonus! More for me!
EDIT to add this.....if you try to keep the pail in a spot that is too warm the stuff will spoil. You'll know if it does, it looks like grey glop and smells foul.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 04:03 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, I think I'm going to start with a 2 gallon menards bucket and see how that goes, what Kind of temp should I keep it at? Will it ferment enough at around 40-50 degrees?
Posted By: NERmn

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 04:27 PM

We are currently making sauerkraut in my high school chemistry class right now and the stuff is turning out pretty good. Just shred the cabbage, and add a lot of salt. Taste it and if you think it’s salty enough, add a little more. Then you just have to let it ferment in an ice cream bucket for a couple weeks
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 04:33 PM

I'd check if the Menard's pail is food-grade. Also, there are recipes online that tell how much salt to use. It is easy to over-salt. As for temps....the lower the temperature the slower it works. The recipe I use is something like couple tablespoons of non-iodized salt per maybe 5 lbs of cabbage (half a bucket full of shredded cabbage).
Posted By: MN4Life

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 04:39 PM

Use the same recipe mentioned above but put the cabbage/salt mixture right into pint jars. Put bands and lids on the jars but don't seal tightly!! Let these sit until the fermentation process is done(about 4-6 weeks)(The bubbling will stop). When it is over, tighten the seal and you are good to go.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 05:54 PM

And then you pitch the s-kraut and eat the board?
Posted By: Honeydog

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 08:22 PM

Leave a few inches in the top of the crock. Lay two food grade bags ,one inside the other, in the top of the crock. Pour water in the bag until there is enough to cover the top and seal it. Twist tie the bag. No skimming required. There will be no mold. The only thing that I did was lift the seal up on the edge once a week to grab a hunk to taste it to see how it was coming.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 09:50 PM

Do you folks prefer cabbage worms or seven dust in the kraut? That is what I struggle with.
It's one or the other here.
Posted By: garymc

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/14/19 11:57 PM

I do as many of the others have said. 12 gallon crock, large plate to fit the crock, an old pine wooden baseball bat, and a rock. Layer 4” or so cabbage, then canning salt, tamp with wooden bat while another person cuts more cabbage. No need to add water as there will be plenty of juice. We also chop up the cores into pieces and add them to the mix. In my family a core in the kraut is a prized find and often fought over smile Continue until crock is 3/4 full or you run out of cabbage. Place plate over cabbage, rock on plate, cover top with old towel. Use very large o ring type rubber band to hold towel in place. I store in a cool dry cellar. Sample it in 3 weeks, but typically takes 5-6 weeks to be sour to my liking. We can all of ours in quarts.

My boss makes his with horseradish and garlic every layer and it is awesome. I have a smaller crock that I plan to make a batch like his this year.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/15/19 12:09 AM

I just finished making my batch. 1 head of cabbage, halved, thin sliced, cored, torn in half and some chopped by the end of it. Pounded with a pedestal, which was the back of the handle of my claw hammer, layered salted and packed. Then I decided to add hot Chile powder and turn my kraught into kimchi. Stirred it all up salted some more and added some seasoned vinegar. Then I covered with water and added more salt to cover it. I had it in a large square Tupperware and it was 3/4 full after adding the water. Then I filled a gallon freezer bag half full of water and placed on top like suggested above. It pushed everything down and raised the water. Genius. I placed the whole works down into a large stock pot so as not to make a mess anywhere. The wife made me put it in the back room. Kimchi is only supposed to take a few days fermenting. Should be done Sunday. I’ll keep you posted.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/15/19 12:09 AM

I use the one in this book its pretty good.
Great sausage recipes and meat curing, by rytek kutas
Posted By: garymc

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/15/19 12:15 AM

That kimchi is some good stuff. I work with a guy of Korean decent and he makes it several times a year. Man that stuff can clean you out.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/15/19 12:30 AM

Yes thank you for the processing plans.

Bryce
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/15/19 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

I am aware that processing it will kill the bacteria, that's why I freeze it.

Are you sure ?
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/15/19 03:11 AM

I froze some of my kraut last fall and now it's tasteless. I don't eat enough to make a large batch to feed off of so will can some as I have in the past.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/15/19 04:17 AM

I do the whole heads of cabbage by cutting out the core like and apple core. Cut the ends off the core and use them like plugs and the center of the cabbage is stuffed with canning salt with the end plugs holding it in. Put the whole cabbages in a crock and pack the voids with shredded salted cabbage sprinkled with salt. Love using the leaves off the whole cabbage to make cabbage rolls stuffed with ground pork and rice. To much salt and the cabbage will not ferment to little cabbage will spoil. I find that about 60 degree temp works great. After it taste about as sour as I want it I put in jars in a shop fridge. I have kept it for years or can it if you dont want to refrigerate it If you do this I can it and heat seal it if not and its not done fermenting you just made a bomb kinda like making a good coyote paste bait bomb!
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/15/19 04:27 AM

Cabbage and salt. Do not add water. Add caraway seeds if you like the added flavor.

Slice the cabbage. Put in a crock in layers with salt, repeat.

A real kraut crock has flat stones to weight the kraut to keep it working. It also has a moat around the lid where you pour cooking oil to seal out bad things, yet allow gas to escape.

I have a German kraut crock that is about 15 gallons. Makes enough to be worthwhile, yet not too much.

Never seal up a kraut brew - might blow up your house! At 40-50 degrees it may take a loooong time to finish.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 03/15/19 02:35 PM

I make mine in 5 gallon food grade plastic buckets like other have said. Just salt and cabbage put a plate on top bag of water for weight and a dish towel over that. I can it when it's ready just for ease of handling, can grab a jar and go for a cook out or what ever. My son wanted me to make some with garlic already in the mix. Not having done that before I did a little net reading. Made a small batch in a glass gallon pickle jar same kind I use for lots of other things. Just shredded the cabbage layered it in with salt and crushed garlic. Put a paper coffee filter over top the jar put the lid on loose enough to breath. Set the jar in a bucket to catch any run over. Put it in the basement for 6 weeks bought it out and it was good to go..So that gallon jar works fine for small batch, you could leave it right on kitchen counter if ya wanted to watch it work.

Mac
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 06/30/19 01:22 PM

I thought I always liked kraut....but the last jar of store-bought about ruined me. Nasty stuff.

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 06/30/19 01:29 PM

Any guess as to how much salt per pint if made in pint jars? 1/2 teaspoon per pint?
I'd definitely add some garlic...….horseradish, not so much.
Posted By: nyhuntfish

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 06/30/19 01:33 PM

I just made this. I don't know nothing about nothing but it worked. I just had some 5 minutes ago. Sitting still after 3 weeks on the counter, never refrigerated. Excellent. Gets better with age I think. Prebiotic fibers galore.

Brad from Boner Appétit magazine...

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 06/30/19 02:05 PM

Kraut and many other fermented and pickled foods are so easy and straightforward to make it amazes me more don't make them. The product is almost always superior to store bought.

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 06/30/19 09:39 PM

Kraut and many other fermented and pickled foods are so easy and straightforward to make it amazes me more don't make them. The product is almost always superior to store bought.

For me....the second I dropped the evil wheat, I became "12 years old again" and demanded pre-biotic fibers and fat. Almost 8 years now. It's almost like I couldn't "see it until I lost the Post-1970 Wheat====> gliadin/gluten/evil et. all")....

To be annoying, and at risk of appearing to digress from the topic (although I argue it most germane)... let me barf this out there again....

https://www.trappersreport.com/story/Hunter-Trapper-Health_THE-SECRET-(1of3)

and

https://www.trappersreport.com/story/Hunter_Trapper-Health_THE-SECRET-(2of3)

Last night I laid in bed listening to Trapping Radio have a serious conversation on his podcast about "getting off the toilet with dignity" or something similar. Is that the bar today? I thought I was hearing some crazy metaphor but I'm pretty sure he was serious. Drop wheat already. If hunters were my smartest friends, now trappers are my smartest friends.

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 06/30/19 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by nyhuntfish

For me....the second I dropped the evil wheat, I became "12 years old again" and demanded pre-biotic fibers and fat. Almost 8 years now. It's almost like I couldn't "see it until I lost the Post-1970 Wheat====> gliadin/gluten/evil et. all")....

To be annoying, and at risk of appearing to digress from the topic (although I argue it most germane)... let me barf this out there again....

https://www.trappersreport.com/story/Hunter-Trapper-Health_THE-SECRET-(1of3)

and

https://www.trappersreport.com/story/Hunter_Trapper-Health_THE-SECRET-(2of3)

Last night I laid in bed listening to Clint Locklear have a serious conversation on his podcast about "getting off the toilet with dignity" or something similar. Is that the bar today? I thought I was hearing some crazy metaphor but I'm pretty sure he was serious. Drop wheat already. If hunters were my smartest friends, now trappers are my smartest friends.

I don't understand, what is the problem and what is needed to overcome it? I ask in all sincerity because I am experiencing issues and know it's something I'm eating but can't trace it down.

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 06/30/19 11:00 PM

1.) I know nothing about health. I stumbled on this and it changed my life, and I lost "right about 60 lbs consistently for 8 years." And I feel mentally excellent.

2.) Facts...

a.) Post 1970's wheat contains Gliadin and lot of it.... which binds to the opiate receptors in your brain (like heroin). AND it stays in your body up to 5 days (read that over and over again) after you eat say... one slice of bread. So you're constantly starving (as I was for 30+ years). That one slice of bread by the way, raised your blood sugar more than a snickers bar (Dr. Oz PROVED this and it's on youtube).

b.) Post 1970's wheat contains gluten: which Makes Your Gut Leak (stop saying beer belly, it makes no sense). So any "good stuff" you eat, leaks right out, almost as if someone designed it that way (hmmmm).

c.) Post 1970's wheat contains a host of other evil like Amylopectin A and others. Look it up.

d.) Eat Fat. It will Fill you up AND .... Your brain is made of fat (not water like many were taught). Eat mainly: olive oil, olives, and animal fat. So just eat animals grass-fed and only cook with olive oil...it ain't hard. Yes eat veggies too... of course. I'm just saying...eat Fat like it's going out of style, and you will Live and never be hungry.

e.) You must then "Get smart" and supplement your diet with (Stop: give up wheat first then do this or you won't care and it won't work....) 1.) Magnesium Water (basically free to make) 2.) Vitamin D (in fish oil gel caps...really cheap) and 3.) Iodine PILLS (kelp pills which are cheap...NOT "iodized table salt"....it evaporates in 3 weeks... pushed by design?). Throw your "supplements" in the garbage (yes Centrum is crap), they're a waste. Example.... eat the turmeric....but SET-Expectations way below "the staples:" Magnesium (WATER), vit. D (Fish Oil Only and Gel Caps likely at least 4000IU), and iodine (Kelp Pills) Must be accomplished first...then play around.

f.) Pre-biotic fibers (sauerkraut, stinky kimchi, etc. FEED your gut once it's not working to expunge all that is good...as your gut connects to your brain).

.....But the "#1 Domino" is the gliadin protein in wheat. Drop that.... and you START TO SEE again.

What I summarized above was 8 years of learning FROM this channel (and others like David Perlmutter MD (neurologist), and many more).but read what I wrote....then see the channel as you won't "get it" if you don't read it first, as there have been too many videos since.....

William Davis, MD (Cardiologist)
https://www.youtube.com/user/wheatbelly/videos

Preach this far and wide.

Good Artists Create, Great Artists Steal. -Steve Jobs

Keywords: Wheat Belly, Post of All Posts

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 06/30/19 11:05 PM

I'm at a loss at this. I will start looking into it so I can understand what is going on. I appreciate the info ny. I know something is wrong but don't know what it is, thank you!
Posted By: run

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 06/30/19 11:11 PM

Thanks, NY hunt fish. I have been off wheat for several years. When I eat just a small amount of wheat, my back throbs like nobody's business.

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 06/30/19 11:20 PM

To the OP, I apologize cause we went to the wayside, maybe we should start a different thread. I did see a while back about this young dude making bread like they used to make it back in the 1800's. He claimed it was crazy healthy because it didn't have what the bread today has. In the 50's all things changed.

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 06/30/19 11:21 PM

To the OP, I apologize cause we went to the wayside, maybe we should start a different thread. I did see a while back about this young dude making bread like they used to make it back in the 1800's. He claimed it was crazy healthy because it didn't have what the bread today has. In the 50's all things changed.

Sorry. Got off on a tangent. I'll stop now.
Posted By: run

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 06/30/19 11:23 PM

It's an old thread. I don't think anyone really cares.

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 06/30/19 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by nyhuntfish

Sorry. Got off on a tangent. I'll stop now.

No offense intended, you got some great info. I am only trying to respect the OP and sauerkraut without disrespecting you or anyone. I really want to hear more, if the OP don't mind we can do it here like run thinks, or start a new thread because I do believe our food source has been compromised.

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 07/01/19 12:59 AM

Catch...…….try this. Take 2 probiotic capsules and 2 Glucosamine Chondroitin at night before bedtime. It'll work in your system overnight and be ready for coffee and sausage in the morning. Took me 63 yrs to figure that out. But I also know a guy who went gluten-free and lost 30 lbs while getting rid of the squirts all the time.

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 07/01/19 01:23 AM

I've thought about planting a 1/4 acre of some "heirloom" wheat and milling it myself. My soil is better for potatoes than for wheat though so I never tried.

It goes back to before the 1950s. After WWI there was a glut of chemicals and jobless scientist. With the surplus chemicals they began to make fertilizers. The scientist began to study plants on a more molecular level. This was all done with good intentions, that of to feed the world/eradicate hunger. The unforeseen consequence seems to be that we have less hunger, more people but the people are less healthy and languishing.

When I was young and poorer I ate pretty cheap and never went hungry. Now that I have a couple coins in my pocket I pay a little more for quality food and take the extra time to prepare it properly. I've yet to have any health issues. Being active outdoors but also a decent diet (I still love cheetos on occasion) is key for most humans.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 07/05/19 05:12 AM

A old german lady taught me using just quart jars and sun step one wash your cabbage and jars clean as you can, to avoid bacteria. [2] Using a food processor with the slicing blade on top remove the bottom blade then slice all the cabbage you intend to use.[ 3] pack your sliced cabbage in quart canning jars as tight as you possible can once you have it packed add 2T kosher salt then fill with distilled water or soft well water. She said the kind of water was important high minerals can cause your cabbage to change colors. Once full to the very top having cabbage completely submerged place lids on loosely then sit them in a very sunny place for 2 weeks.[ 4] Every other day check water levels in jars, as cabbage ferments it bubbles causing some water to leak out. Refill and lid loosely again do this until your two weeks is up. If you forget this process you will get mold! [5] At the end of two weeks check water level then tighten your lids and flip jars upside down let sit 24hrs the heat of the day then cool nite will seal the lids somewhat ive had jars go 5 years with no hitchs. For the guys that like the traditional german style can add your caraway and fennel seeds in the very beginning. I want more salty sour kraut over the other. less or more salt can be added she said you need at least one tsp of kosher salt to help fight bacteria. I try and make 25 quarts every summer already did 14 two weeks ago! I love my kraut , I hope this helps guys that like kraut to make their own!
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 07/05/19 10:42 AM

We make our kraut very similar to what Tony F does. We do not sit in sun and we use regular table salt. I think the secret is in the packing, we put as much shredded cabbage in the jar as possible. We like to let it age 2 years before using.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 07/05/19 01:05 PM

Here's my hillbilly way I have made.

Clean the cabbage and slice into a clean 5 gallon bucket. when you have 3/4'' of it use an clean wood tamper (ball bat) to tamp and bruise the shredded cabbage. throw a small handful of salt on top while you are doing it. Shred more cabbage and tamp some more then more salt. You want to just be able to taste the salt - not too much. When you have about 3/4 of the bucket full the juice will be noticeable and the salt will start to draw some of it out. Put a plate on top and make sure the juice is a little over the plate. Set this in your cool basement for 28 days. If you like it more sour leave it longer but I have never gone more than 36 days. Tastes mild. Put a cloth or something over the bucket to keep gnats out.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Sourkraut recipe? - 07/05/19 03:07 PM

Interesting! Nothing better then kraut.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums