Home

Been in the wood shop

Posted By: swift4me

Been in the wood shop - 03/14/19 05:30 PM

[Linked Image]

These calls are headed to America tomorrow. Three T-man members should have them in time for opening day. They all have chestnut boxes, two from a 200 year old bean from my barn and one from a 40 plus year old fencepost. It's fun to hear them come together at the end with the final tuning.

Good luck to everybody this season and be safe in the turkey woods.

Pete
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/14/19 05:33 PM

Beautiful work!
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/14/19 08:25 PM

look good Pete - I wonder if a fancy new call will make me a better turkey caller?
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/14/19 08:36 PM

Ranger....

Calling turkeys, as you probably know, is about more than the equipment, and there are lots of commercial box and pot calls that work. For me, a well made custom box call has a sound quality that you won't find in most commercial box calls, because of the time spent tuning and the quality of the wood. I make my calls the old school way without any custom router bits or jigs, just a table saw, drill press, chisels, files and sandpaper. It takes more time but when you finally find the call in the piece of wood you started with it is great. I also believe that turkeys respond to a wood call at times when nothing else works.

Good luck,

Pete
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/14/19 08:42 PM

Beautiful work. Almost makes me want to hunt turkeys, just so I could use one. smile
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/14/19 08:55 PM

Me thinks I could be one of those t-man members I was in the woods today and saw a lot of turkey scratching I am not much of a turkey hunter but those calls all look awesome .Maybe I will need to use it on sunny days only .If I kill a turkey while hunting with it I will retire it to a place where it will be seen by all that visit my house Just the fact that they are made of chestnut makes them special here in the US .Less than 150 years ago it was the most prominent tree in the Eastern US forest .And than humans brought in the blight that killed almost all of them
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/14/19 09:31 PM

absolutely Pete - no doubt, its not my calls that are the problem.

I have some nice slate calls that were made by a friend, but I generally use diaphragm.

my best bet, is to be on the ground where they come off the roost
Posted By: Mac

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/14/19 10:59 PM

Super nice work.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/14/19 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by swift4me
Ranger....

Calling turkeys, as you probably know, is about more than the equipment, and there are lots of commercial box and pot calls that work. For me, a well made custom box call has a sound quality that you won't find in most commercial box calls, because of the time spent tuning and the quality of the wood. I make my calls the old school way without any custom router bits or jigs, just a table saw, drill press, chisels, files and sandpaper. It takes more time but when you finally find the call in the piece of wood you started with it is great. I also believe that turkeys respond to a wood call at times when nothing else works.

Good luck,

Pete

Sounds to me like the same attitude and techinque when making a fine musical instrument like a Stradivarius. Beautiful work!
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/14/19 11:06 PM

Nice looking calls!
Posted By: Twogunwilly

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/14/19 11:10 PM

Very nice but they may not work here with an accent. grin
Posted By: Chamacat

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/14/19 11:19 PM

ZAMBONIA!!!!!!...Nice..Nice..Nice...And what's even nicer..I'm one of the three...LOL...I really like the flange at the bottom..when holding the call your pressure of hand won't effect the sound of the call...And for the material to be that old..my..my...

I'll second what Pete said about a box call..I have worked birds that didn't respond with slate/mouth calls..pulled the old box call out and lit em up... grin
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/14/19 11:58 PM

Chamacat I am also one of the three You come east and I will come west I know someone that hunted turkey n New Mexico . He loved it
Posted By: Zim

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/15/19 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by l1ranger
look good Pete - I wonder if a fancy new call will make me a better turkey caller?

Ranger, it is dangerous to be in the turkey woods with one of Pete's calls.
Be cautious and shoot straight.

Zim
Posted By: Railroader

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/15/19 12:09 AM

Man those are some great looking calls, you do some beautiful work.
Posted By: garymc

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/15/19 12:11 AM

Very nice. There is nothing like the sound of a handmade and hand tuned call. The older the wood the better.
Posted By: Patrice

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/15/19 12:54 AM

I am fortunate to have one of Pete's calls too! Zim had this one made for me ...

[Linked Image]

... and then since Zim ended up with a nasty case of covet for mine, I surprised him and had one made for him the next year! Here is Zim's call ...

[Linked Image]

You guys are going to love these calls! Not only are they works of art, but they also sound so fantastic they render gobblers helpless to resist. grin

I have used my call on every turkey hunt since and would never go without it! (Thanks, Pete!)
Posted By: Chamacat

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/15/19 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by w side rd 151
Chamacat I am also one of the three You come east and I will come west I know someone that hunted turkey n New Mexico . He loved it

Yep..Maybe so..maybe so.. A buddy of mine was fly fishing a creek and said he heard some gobbles already..I think more like the birds were just being vocal..seems a tad bit early for their "Season"..
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/15/19 01:19 PM

Beautiful Woodwork! I cant seem to work one of those...I like the slate calls ....but those are really Nice!
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Been in the wood shop - 03/15/19 03:11 PM

Very nice woodworking! Work of art!

Chris
© 2024 Trapperman Forums