Home

Storms Sd/NE

Posted By: bucksnbears

Storms Sd/NE - 03/14/19 09:28 PM

You fellas faring ok?
Lost power here. No radio or t.v
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/14/19 09:29 PM

hope ya'll stay safe out there,crazy weather i have been seein for ya's.
Posted By: cohunt

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/14/19 09:38 PM

Not far from you here in NE South Dakota. Wind is howling and power has gone twice. Following several bad storms in last decade, the power company has gone mainly underground here which helps a bunch when ice and wind combine. Gotten enough new snow that it is close to whiteout drifting. Supposed to quiet down about dark.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/14/19 10:20 PM

Lots of localized flooding. People are finding out where the old drainages were and that even flat yards can flood (and then get into your basement). I've had no issues, although I decided not to fight 50+ mph winds on 70 miles of interstate today to go to an event at the state land grant university. My youngest kid and his friend had a 330 frozen in down at the local river since early Jan. I told them to go chip it out several times but they didn't . Good luck finding it when the water goes down...
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/14/19 10:26 PM

The areas being pummeled, Bridges and dam's washing away, along with roads and businesses. These are my old stomping grounds in Northeast NE. Almost all the highways in the east half of Nebraska are closed. It is an absolute disaster!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/14/19 10:31 PM

We got rain, snow and wind here but still the least affected in the state. Western state could be a disaster with cows calving. some are expecting zero survival for any calves born.
NE Nebraska is flooding badly. Many many towns underwater, bridges being washed out.....once in a lifetime deals for sure. Now the folks on the Missouri River can get ready!
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/14/19 10:33 PM

https://journalstar.com/news/local/...7d8fcb0-cbed-5315-b2cc-1ee34f68787b.html

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/14/19 10:37 PM

Oh crap fellas. THoughts are with you all.
Been through a few big floods. Not fun at all.
Stay safe!.

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/14/19 10:39 PM

Many many towns underwater, bridges being washed out.....once in a lifetime deals for sure.

Wouldn't count on that at all...

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/14/19 10:43 PM

yesterday afternoon between Broken Bow, and Ord NE.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last Night returning to Broken Bow.

[Linked Image]

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/14/19 10:45 PM

Mother Nature Shenanigans State wide.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/14/19 11:27 PM

Sunny and windy here now it missed a lot of the South central part of SD but Rapid City is buried in Snow and Sioux Falls is under water all the way down to Yankton by NE.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/14/19 11:37 PM

Be careful up there guys! We had a 100yr flood back in 2007 that I can relate but it was in July....way worse with ice an cold. Hearing horrer stories from calving up there
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/14/19 11:39 PM

Not often you see white cap waves in a flooded field!

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/14/19 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20
Not often you see white cap waves in a flooded field!

Oh, I've seen that!!.
All that fast moving water can cut new channels also. That can suck!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/15/19 12:02 AM

Wheres all the water coming from?Snow melt,rain or combination?

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/15/19 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Wheres all the water coming from?Snow melt,rain or combination?

All of the above. They had a couple feet of snow on the ground, then a rapid warm up along with heavy rains. Ground is frozen and a bunch of ice jams didn't help matters.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/15/19 12:47 AM

We have about 5 feet of snow.It melted down quite a bit today and yesterday.Had a little rain,supposed to rain more tomorrow.We seldom get bad flooding as it usually goes below freezing at night.Back to below freezing temps for a 3 days then above again for a few days with below at night in the forecast.This should make a nice crust for travelling in the mornings.The freezing at night slows down the run off.If it gets warm and stays warm in April with rain there will be a lot of high water.We usually get a good snow dump too at the end of March or begin April before the big thaw.
Posted By: Poorcoon

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/15/19 01:56 AM

Yep. Countless Bridges washed away and more Dam's breaking and failing as we speak. Somebody not far from here had 34 cow-calf pairs that got surrounded by fast-rising water and the river took them. Gone.
Posted By: Nd_guy

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/15/19 03:19 AM

Spent a couple hours digging out here in NE North Dakota. 60mph winds and snow. Many more to open the yard back up. [Linked Image]
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/15/19 10:35 AM

Folks along i29 from Nebraska city and south need to watch. Missouri is expected to Crest record levels at Brownsville maybe higher than 2011 flooding. Lot of water coming if you live along or drive that stretch.
Jim

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/15/19 11:10 AM

Feeling double sad for those with livestock.

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/15/19 11:45 AM

The culprit was a sudden and severe drop in ground-level air pressure in Colorado, the most pronounced dive since 1950 and something "that will go down in the history books," said Greg Carbin, chief of forecast operations for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Weather Prediction Center.

It was caused by a combination of the jet stream and normal conditions in the wind shadow of the Rockies. Air rushed into the low-pressure area and then rose into the atmosphere, causing severe weather.

Meteorologists call the rapid change in pressure a "bomb cyclone" or "bombogenesis

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/15/19 05:09 PM

Last I heard, they were dumping 100,000 cubic feet per second out of Gavin's Point Dam! shocked FYI, that's a crapload of H2O!
Posted By: cohunt

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/15/19 05:21 PM

For those not familiar with the upper Midwest, Gavins Point Dam is the lowest dam(holding Lewis and Clark Reservoir) on the Missouri River. Open shot below that to the confluence with the Mississippi.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/15/19 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by cohunt
For those not familiar with the upper Midwest, Gavins Point Dam is the lowest dam(holding Lewis and Clark Reservoir) on the Missouri River. Open shot below that to the confluence with the Mississippi.

With Sioux City IA, Omaha and Council Bluffs, Kansas City and St. Joseph just being a few in the way of that "open shot". The snow in Montana caused the problems in 2011. I assume we have not even seen any of that run off yet. Could be a long summer again. LLL
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/15/19 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
Last I heard, they were dumping 100,000 cubic feet per second out of Gavin's Point Dam! shocked FYI, that's a crapload of H2O!

And that is 1.5 million gallons every 2 seconds. Hard to comprehend that amount of water moving that fast.

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/15/19 05:55 PM

prayin for all affected,the videos of the water and worse yet,farmers digging cows and calfs out that were buried by snow are heart breaking.i whine about the weather alot but i can't even comprehend whats goin on out there.
Posted By: nt2

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/15/19 07:03 PM

Gavins Point releases are scheduled to be reduced 7,000 cfs every
12 hours starting at 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, March 16.

I just found the above on the Corps of Engineers web site. The decrease in release rate might not have happened quick enough.

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/15/19 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck

This morning there was 170,000 cfs moving thru Rulo NE. They're headed for higher ground.

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/15/19 11:24 PM

My fiance's folks decided not to evacuate. They are holed up in their home @ Linoma Beach 3 miles east of Ashland, NE. They are now surrounded by feet of water. A rescue boat came by earlier and they(he) refused rescue. Seems a lot to ask when they can't get out of their own way, but prayers would be appreciated!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/15/19 11:36 PM

Went to Brookings and back today the roads East were no problem they opened up West River about 10AM as I was leaving it looked like the Indy 500 starting when they all were cut loose. Seen 1 Semi on it's side in the medium cab and all then one car with the front end wrecked on top of a drift.

The one thing looming is the standing water it's everywhere with a lot more snow to melt then add to that mess all just waiting to bust loose then it will be a big mess, if it freezes at night then that might slow down the flooding some.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/16/19 12:11 AM

Just was reading about the flooding up there. 90mph wind gusts where reported in the panhandle up there. 71 was our top wind speed. When all that water gets to the Mississippi things are going to get nasty south of you. I saw the Mississippi and Ohio yesterday and they were already busting at the seams.
Posted By: rags57078

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/16/19 02:36 PM

Rags and crew are all safe and sound

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/16/19 03:00 PM

Gavins Point is also one of the smallest of the 6 Missouri River dams. Its overall storage capacity has also been substantially reduced since its construction in the 1950s, primarily from sediment being dumped into the reservoir by the Niobrara. My back of the envelope guess is about 25% reduction in storage as the back third or so the old reservoir is now mostly sandbars and reed patches (great waterfowl hunting and certain fishing!!). The AoE was told this would be an issue when they proposed the dam but basically ignored it. I should dig up some sat imagery on Monday and how what the back end of the reservoir looked like in 1972/73 and what it looked like last year. Just a tad different.

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/16/19 03:17 PM

it's finally reached here,cant see ten feet but i will not complain as we are the lucky ones,be safe and help a fellow neighbor out there folks.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/16/19 03:51 PM

Saw this on the weather channel, bad deal all around.

Stay safe guys and gals!!
Posted By: MJM

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/16/19 04:43 PM

SD1806 25 miles SE of Fort Pierre near the county line. Note the shallow foot depressions thanks to 50 mph winds. This 7(?) foot drift across the road was 1 of 4 in 3/4 of a mile and was roughly 200 feet long. It took 7 hours for a dozer to clear these drifts.
[Linked Image]

Re: Storms Sd/NE - 03/16/19 05:41 PM

I've heard of one death in Nebraska where a farmer in his tractor went through a bridge and drowned going to help neighbors.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums