Home

Maple syrup, did I junk it?

Posted By: scrapper

Maple syrup, did I junk it? - 03/16/19 01:11 PM

First time making maple syrup. I did two small batches the first of the week, little over a quart total. I thought they was up to temp, ( got three candy thermometers and all read different) and sealed it. Any how, I got a hydrometer and checked it with it and it isn't done enough. Can I unseal it and cook it down some more or is it junk?
Thanks, Mike
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Maple syrup, did I junk it? - 03/16/19 01:15 PM

Yes it should finish up fine. You can also use it as is if it is acceptable to your taste buds.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Maple syrup, did I junk it? - 03/16/19 01:16 PM

Agreed. Keep boiling.

Re: Maple syrup, did I junk it? - 03/16/19 01:23 PM

Thanks guys. I hated to throw it out after all that time boiling it down.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Maple syrup, did I junk it? - 03/16/19 01:27 PM

You can boil it a gain if you want. We leave a couple quarts of ours just a little thinner than finished syrup. Our sons and I like the way it soaks into pancakes when it's done that way.
If you like it, leave it as it is and make some more.
Posted By: old243

Re: Maple syrup, did I junk it? - 03/16/19 01:47 PM

You can tell how close , to being done, by dripping it off a spoon , the drops will slow , then come off in a stringy drop. You can also put your almost finished syrup in the freezer. Then add to your last batch and finish it. .old243
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Maple syrup, did I junk it? - 03/16/19 02:01 PM

The sterilization going into the container is most important to consider for it to keep.

Why junk?
off smell, mould growing on it?

The Swedes ferment it to a wine state, then sterilize it......a timble full sure makes for some jelly legs afterwards
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Maple syrup, did I junk it? - 03/16/19 02:05 PM

Freezing the sap makes boiling quicker for those of us without an RO machine.

Re: Maple syrup, did I junk it? - 03/16/19 10:35 PM

Thanks again, crisis aborted. I did some more today and added what I already done to it., Checked the temp and the hydrometer, all good. I like doing this,, just shouldn't have jumped in without all my ducks in a row. Next year will be different.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Maple syrup, did I junk it? - 03/16/19 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by gryhkl
Freezing the sap makes boiling quicker for those of us without an RO machine.

I am not so sure about this. I put the ice from 2 five gallon buckets into one bucket. I ended up with about 3 gallons and the hydrometer said it was ~.8% sugar. We have been starting out at 2%. Maybe too much of it was frozen? Not sure, I was just messing around since our buckets had some ice in them when I collected.

Scrapper- What part of Pa are you in?

Re: Maple syrup, did I junk it? - 03/17/19 12:52 AM

Jerry, I'm afraid to say for being persecuted, lol. Jefferson county. Punxsutawney. home of that ground hog.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums