Home

Chain drowners

Posted By: dustytinner

Chain drowners - 03/17/19 07:50 PM

Is 3/0 twin loop chain to big for using for drowning rigs with the standard 1" square tubeslider? Just wondering if it will still work properly. I believe the chain is about 3/4" wide.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Chain drowners - 03/17/19 08:56 PM

[Linked Image]

I believe this is #2 Machine chain.....nice and smooth, no hang ups
Posted By: wheelers

Re: Chain drowners - 03/17/19 09:00 PM

We use #2 twin loop. Works good. I'm thinking #3 might be tight.
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Chain drowners - 03/17/19 11:35 PM

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try to get out if this high water goes down, but I think its gonna get worse. The water is out of the banks an flooding the fields along it, and a lot of ice jams and ice barges. It looks like something you see on the Alaskan shows.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Chain drowners - 03/17/19 11:41 PM

Be careful
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 01:29 AM

How much do buying chain drowners cost? Who makes them? Would it be cheaper to buy locks an do urselve? What are advantages of chain drowners? What I wouldn't like is weight, especially with lots in pickup

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 01:38 AM

Chain drowners dont tangle up,like wire or cable...fast and easy to reset aftah a catch...lasts for Evah. Great for road side or not too far from road beaver trapping. Down side....is the heavy brake rotor used for weight. There are lighter Go to systems...Ask Goldy on here....he has the hot ,light weight set up.

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 01:51 AM

Why not just stake rebar ? If possible, I lug just a few cement blocks in culvert or few gunny sacks of Rock or sand, but haul around a bunch brake rotors or railroad tie plates an lug them in water an then haul out when done, forget it

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 01:54 AM

Who makes locks for chain drowners or what to use for locks?, Could make some up, the locks, swivels to attach chain to trap an chain is what cost , I don't think going work out to equip all water traps it, I use lil cable but end up not use az much as 11 gauge wire an just cut off ends wire after cpl catches or replace wire, cable is good but can't adjust lengthe
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 01:58 AM

I did my own locks on #2 double loop chain and cement blocks for beaver but I drive in on most of mine otherwise I would use rebar drowners, I don’t like wire or cable because of kinks.

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220
Why not just stake rebar ? If possible, I lug just a few cement blocks in culvert or few gunny sacks of Rock or sand, but haul around a bunch brake rotors or railroad tie plates an lug them in water an then haul out when done, forget it

Cement blocks or Brake rotors ....sounds about the same to me. At some of my spots...I just hide the weight at the location....cuz I know I’ll be back at some point.

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220
Who makes locks for chain drowners or what to use for locks?, Could make some up, the locks, swivels to attach chain to trap an chain is what cost , I don't think going work out to equip all water traps it, I use lil cable but end up not use az much as 11 gauge wire an just cut off ends wire after cpl catches or replace wire, cable is good but can't adjust lengthe

Study my pic.....you can make the lock out of black pipe....and on my T Bar ...I have a swivel and J hook...so you can take the slack out of the chain.

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 02:08 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 02:09 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 02:18 AM

One piece of advise I’m not sure if nessmuck has had this happen, but on mine this year the “s” hook on the block end spread fortunately I caught it, so I would recommend welding the weight end “s” hook if you use one there.

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 03:27 AM

Would a flat type rebar swivel on the terminal end stake, work ? Or I mean, be large enough j hook or rivet that is on the flat rebar swivel, to hook on chain? It is big enough opening for cable but not sure if enough room for chain, if so, that work, I could use a s- hook tool an take along to open rivet an adjust lengthe, on chain, yes a s- hook is not ideal an could open up on rare occasion, I should have a cpl dz. These drowning rigs

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 04:38 AM

I use the MB Crunch swivels....no problems. I use a pair of tin snips to open the “S” hook on the t-Bar ....then throw the weight to deep water....pound my t -stake in the ground....grab the chain and slide my trap and lock on the chain....pull the chain tight and attach to S hook on the T stake.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 09:32 AM

Nessy,

is the s-hook at the T-bar necessary? why not just use an open J-hook right at the swivel?
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 10:36 AM

I find a lot of chain that I use for trapping purposes by buying used tire chains at public sales .Often I get several sets of good tire chain for a $1 or so
Posted By: 160user

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 10:54 AM

Bauer locks are by far my favorite and sold by MTP.

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by white marlin
Nessy,

is the s-hook at the T-bar necessary? why not just use an open J-hook right at the swivel?

I guess that would be ok....and less work....but ..if something can go wrong...it will go wrong...just saying

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 05:35 PM

So what do u use for top end stake ? I normally use 1/2 rerod with nut head an 12 or 15 inches long an terminal end I use. 1/2 t- bar in 2ft or 30 inch long, sometimes I cross stake 2 - t- bar, would that stake system work on chain drowners or they normally used with weight at terminal end ?
Posted By: Bristleback

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 05:49 PM

Dave ??, this isn't Ness, but he's showing you a picture of the top of his drowner system...…..it's the Tbar, with swivel/jhook then S hook to chain...…...that's the top end of his system/rig.
Nice set up Ness!

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Nessy,

I guess that would be ok....and less work....but ..if something can go wrong...it will go wrong...just saying

10-4.

I just thought that without the S-hook (attaching the tightened chain right to the J-hook, itself), there would be one less "failure point".

really like your set-up!
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Chain drowners - 03/18/19 11:53 PM

I made my own locks out of 1" square tubing. They lock up tight.

Re: Chain drowners - 03/19/19 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Green Bay
I made my own locks out of 1" square tubing. They lock up tight.

Yup...those work too.
Posted By: Mr. Ed

Re: Chain drowners - 03/19/19 03:12 AM

I trap the same areas every year so I hide the 3/4 ton brakes rotors at the same spot every year. As for sliders,someday I may try the chain type but I use 12 ga annealed wire for beaver and never get a kink and seems a lot easier to hold up better than the 11 ga. I have even had a dbl on beaver on the same 12 ga wire with no kinking but on that set I had two brake rotors since they were a tad smaller than truck ones.
Posted By: nyhuntfish

Re: Chain drowners - 02/21/20 06:10 PM

Thank you for this. What a great idea.

Re: Chain drowners - 02/21/20 06:11 PM

Thank you for this. What a great idea.

Thank you I will try to look for this.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Chain drowners - 02/21/20 06:46 PM

I've been toying around with the idea of chain drowners the last couple nights and came up with something I think is inexpensive and simple. I can't post pics until I get home, but the idea is...

Double stake swivel w/ J hook at the shore end
Single hook swivel on a quick link at deep end...this way, you can move the terminal end up or down the chain to suit depth and keep your chain tight.

I also welded up a few locks using 1x1 rectangular tube and 1 x 1/8 flat bar

If you can't stake the terminal end, you can wire up a sandbag filled with rocks/clay/sand on site.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Chain drowners - 02/21/20 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by slydogx
I've been toying around with the idea of chain drowners the last couple nights and came up with something I think is inexpensive and simple. I can't post pics until I get home, but the idea is...

Double stake swivel w/ J hook at the shore end
Single hook swivel on a quick link at deep end...this way, you can move the terminal end up or down the chain to suit depth and keep your chain tight.

I also welded up a few locks using 1x1 rectangular tube and 1 x 1/8 flat bar

If you can't stake the terminal end, you can wire up a sandbag filled with rocks/clay/sand on site.

The way Ive done chains Exactly...2 anchor holes on top , about 8' down the chain is a quick link. Making where I anchor to the rock/sand bag adjustable in length. My Locks though are like pictured above out of 1" conduit.

Re: Chain drowners - 02/21/20 08:26 PM

Can someone please post a pic.
Posted By: Coyote Chaser

Re: Chain drowners - 02/21/20 09:28 PM

Chain drowners on 10ft rebar rods with Bauer locks, you guys carrying rotors and cement blocks are making this to hard for cheap beaver
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Chain drowners - 02/21/20 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by 080808
Can someone please post a pic.

Scroll up^^^ Nessmuck has great pictures of the Set up...easy to make also.

Re: Chain drowners - 02/21/20 09:52 PM

Opps. Thanks

Re: Chain drowners - 02/21/20 11:09 PM

so...how much water depth does one need to drown beaver, and how much weight do you need?

Thanks!

Re: Chain drowners - 02/21/20 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Coyote Chaser
Chain drowners on 10ft rebar rods with Bauer locks, you guys carrying rotors and cement blocks are making this to hard for cheap beaver

You're telling me. I need to find 10' rebar. Where might I find this in upstate NY for good price?
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Chain drowners - 02/22/20 12:24 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The deep water end has a rotor hanger on it in the pic, but I have added a single stake swivel on a quick link since.
I'm just putzing around with ideas because I'm stuck in town now and don't have as much opportunity to actually trap... it's not serious, just a science project LOL

Re: Chain drowners - 02/22/20 12:32 AM

so...how much water depth does one need to drown beaver, and how much weight do you need?

Thanks!

About 4 feet of water.....and one 3/4 ton pick up brake rotor does the trick. I have spots that I go back to each year or every other year....and I just hide the rotor ( and hopefully I can remember where I put it ) .

Re: Chain drowners - 02/22/20 12:36 AM

thanks, Nessmuck!

not owning a 3/4 ton pickup...what would you GUESS the weight of the brake rotor to be? (I'll be filling sand bags)

Re: Chain drowners - 02/22/20 12:44 AM

thanks, Nessmuck!

not owning a 3/4 ton pickup...what would you GUESS the weight of the brake rotor to be? (I'll be filling sand bags)

Not sure.....but no beaver has evah been waiting for me on land....I’ll have to weigh one.

Re: Chain drowners - 02/22/20 12:57 AM

a best guess would be sufficient! grin
Posted By: washxc

Re: Chain drowners - 02/22/20 01:07 AM

Nessmuck and company, great thread, very informative! Could you use a 1/8 quick link through the swivel on your top t bar to take the slack out of the chain?

Re: Chain drowners - 02/22/20 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by washxc
Nessmuck and company, great thread, very informative! Could you use a 1/8 quick link through the swivel on your top t bar to take the slack out of the chain?

quick link or even a snap link!
Posted By: MNCedar

Re: Chain drowners - 02/22/20 01:31 AM

My suggestion would be to not overcomplicate things.

Chain drowners do not need to be guitar-string tight either.

Re: Chain drowners - 02/22/20 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by washxc

Don’t see why not....see what works best for yah. I use the MB crunch S hooks...they can take a beating
© 2024 Trapperman Forums