Home

Queen Tax in Canada?

Posted By: nyhuntfish

Queen Tax in Canada? - 03/19/19 11:48 AM

Every older man I know tells me the Queen takes her cut and has many stories why they couldn't just "take their skins to Canada." Does anyone know the facts?

(yes I understand this site (snopes) is generally suspect among smart people....but just wondering)

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fur-the-queen/

Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Queen Tax in Canada? - 03/19/19 12:59 PM

I pay to take them out of Ontario....and when I sell them at auction. This is to the province though and not the federal government...

https://furmanagers.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/RoyaltyRates2018-19_EnglishNotice-09-28-2018.pdf
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Queen Tax in Canada? - 03/19/19 02:32 PM

Saskfly what you have is plain and simple a FORD TAX, not a Queen tax. Manitoba did away with Royalities because it was not going back to the producers. We were a flat rate and 10 times less than Ontario.
( for those in the south...Ford is the Head Cheese of Ontario Government)
Posted By: Mira Trapper

Re: Queen Tax in Canada? - 03/19/19 02:42 PM

Ford did not create the tax or any even close to the taxes & rip-offs of the previous Wynne Liberal government so it is not a truth to call it a FORD tax. He is also busy now trying to block the Carbon Tax which Wynne was guilty of trying to pass and which helped in her defeat.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Queen Tax in Canada? - 03/19/19 02:47 PM

I remember when British Columbia had a royalty on raw fur, I think it was called a "Crown Royalty". I remember looking at the schedule probably back in the early 70's, the only item I remember was the tax on muskrat was 10 cents a skin.
I'm sure some B.C. guys on here can correct me if I'm miss-remembering something.
Posted By: Mira Trapper

Re: Queen Tax in Canada? - 03/19/19 02:55 PM

The Queen does not get the royalty money. The provinces do in most cases as a crown land tax whether it is fur or timber, gas, or oil. https://assets.kpmg/content/dam/kpmg/ca/pdf/2018/05/oil-gas-guide.pdf
Posted By: Boco

Re: Queen Tax in Canada? - 03/19/19 03:41 PM

Royalties on fur in Ontario go into the general purpose account(along with fines related to wildlife,licences etc) which helps pay for wildlife programs.Much of it goes back to the licencing and education of trappers in Ontario administered by our provincial trapping organization,the largest in North America,with around 7000 members.The contract to administer the fur program for the province is separate from the membership fund.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Queen Tax in Canada? - 03/19/19 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by nyhuntfish
Every older man I know tells me the Queen takes her cut and has many stories why they couldn't just "take their skins to Canada." Does anyone know the facts?

(yes I understand this site (snopes) is generally suspect among smart people....but just wondering)

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fur-the-queen/

I started to ship fur to the Ontario Trapper's Association Auction in North Bay in 1977.

As a United States Citizen, I was exempt from ANY royalty tax that Canadians had to pay.

To My Knowledge, I have never payed a direct royalty to ship and sell fur with the OTA, FHA, or NAFA.

On the other hand, sales commissions are another story.

w
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Queen Tax in Canada? - 03/19/19 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
I remember when British Columbia had a royalty on raw fur, I think it was called a "Crown Royalty". I remember looking at the schedule probably back in the early 70's, the only item I remember was the tax on muskrat was 10 cents a skin.
I'm sure some B.C. guys on here can correct me if I'm miss-remembering something.

That Crown Royalty comes in a cute little purple sack, does it not?

Pete
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Queen Tax in Canada? - 03/19/19 04:02 PM

It does and I have drank a bit of that crown royal stuff In my youth. LOl
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Queen Tax in Canada? - 03/19/19 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pete in Frbks
Originally Posted by waggler

That Crown Royalty comes in a cute little purple sack, does it not?

Pete

Pete you are a little tippsy because you added a "it" in Royality......and yes that little purple sac still comes along. The Gold sacs come with Crown Royal Northern Harvest which is far superior so you have to add one to your collection.
It's a tradition if your walleye fishing on Lake Winnipeg and you catch a 28 Greenback incher an you can see the steam plume from the distillery in Gimili that you Christian it with a swig of CC. Much like kissing the cod in New Foundland ceremony.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums