Home

Morel Mushrooms

Posted By: MB+550trapper

Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 12:53 PM

Where do you usually find them?
Posted By: Rockfarmer

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 01:02 PM

We have a small draw with a wet weather creek on the west side of the farm. Been the best place on the farm. Nicknamed it the mushroom patch.
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 01:30 PM

American elm trees are a good producer for me, along with cotton wood and sycamore. Ash is another that is worth checking. Any of these trees that are stressed of dying should be a great spot to start. Things should be getting great to get good your way. I love hunting morel mushrooms.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 01:32 PM

one of the few things i'm bummed we don't have this far north.
Posted By: james dymond

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 01:41 PM

You should have them. They even have them in Alaska.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 01:46 PM

I just found out about them a few years ago.The old logging roads are polluted with them here.They don't pop up until the end of May here.

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 01:51 PM

i'm a mile from NY and have never saw one here or heard of anyone finding one here.i take a weekend most years and head to a friends and hunt them with him.guess i may have to look around for myself here.i sang,dig ramps/leeks and about every other thing you can do in our woods.always told we don't have them but i've been lied to before. grin
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 01:55 PM

none here
Posted By: run

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 02:17 PM

Wisconsin can grow em better than we can in Virginia. I think the ground is too dry right@ the moment, tomorrow we're supposed to get rain.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 02:36 PM

I Don't figure to see any here until at least first week of May? but then can't never tell what weather will do?? maybe end of April.

Mac
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 03:07 PM

pcr, you have them - somebody is keeping you out of the woods.

run - the earliest I have found them in VA is March 29 - but usually its around april 15th or so before its good around here.

best spots that I've found are elms, old orchards, and poplars - can have some good luck along creeks and wet weather runs too

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Phil Nichols
none here

Morels mushrooms will grow any where there is a frost line. If it dont frost or freeze they dont grow. North Carolina should be a good spot to find them as for pa. There out there just got to be in the right spot I guess.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 03:56 PM

Apple trees and Sycamore are the best for me. Earliest I've found them is March 17th
Posted By: skippyturtle

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
one of the few things i'm bummed we don't have this far north.

they grow in alaska so i would say you are not to far north

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 04:36 PM

guess i need to find out for myself.i love long walks in the woods anyway.
Posted By: TurTLe

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 04:41 PM

Elms, Cottonwood, and even red cedar from time to time are good spots. If you can find a stressed or freshly dead Elm, or a recent blown over Cottonwood, you'll be in the morels usually. Once you find a good spot, mark it on your GPS and check it each year. Good spots are like gold, and nobody is going to share that information.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 04:50 PM

Pcr2, get some morels and hang them in mesh bags in your woods. The morels will drop their spores and a in few years you'll have some to pick.

My friend Don, did that with morels from several different states and now has varieties of morels, I have never seen anywhere else. One of the best things, about him having different varieties, is that even in bad year for our regular morels, he has some that will do well. They also come up over a longer period of time.

Keith
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 04:51 PM

We have lots of them around here but I’ll be danged if I can find them. I have a friend that gives me a couple dozen every spring
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 04:52 PM

If you know of a place that burned over last year, that's would be a great place to check out.

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 04:54 PM

where i've gotten them before is my cur breeder in southern Ohio.i'm lookin for a new male so that may work-i'll call him later this week.big old dead elms there is where he always takes me.

you all have me fired up for sure about if i can find some here already,or is it still a little too early.
Posted By: Machias

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by gryhkl
If you know of a place that burned over last year, that's would be a great place to check out.

Yep!!
Posted By: nramemb

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 06:34 PM

After many years of hunting them and finding many and thinking i had them figured out Ive come to the conclusion that they will grow anywhere they decide they want to.

I am usually very successful in old strip mines.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 07:47 PM

I'm not much of a mushroom eater, but I make an exception when it comes to morels.

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
i'm a mile from NY and have never saw one here or heard of anyone finding one here.i take a weekend most years and head to a friends and hunt them with him.guess i may have to look around for myself here.i sang,dig ramps/leeks and about every other thing you can do in our woods.always told we don't have them but i've been lied to before. grin

What county are you in and I will find out when they found them in your county last year

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 09:14 PM

Potter county

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 09:41 PM

Looks like they were finding a good amount in oneida county n.y around may 12 last year.

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 10:10 PM

wow-thanx-something to do when the turkeys won't cooperate.
Posted By: trapper4002

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/20/19 11:16 PM

Needs to be 50 degrees or more at night for about a week before you find many
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/21/19 02:00 AM

Look around Tulip / Poplar trees.

PCR, check out Leatherwood Outdoors on YouTube. Have some good videos on Morels a bit west of you
Posted By: WiscoNate

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/21/19 02:51 AM

I don't have much luck finding them around here. I don't think they're fond of the sandy soil in this region. Or maybe I'm just blind.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/22/19 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Matt28
Originally Posted by Phil Nichols
none here

Morels mushrooms will grow any where there is a frost line. If it dont frost or freeze they dont grow. North Carolina should be a good spot to find them as for pa. There out there just got to be in the right spot I guess.

Flat swampy bottom land & pine forest here, have not found any yet, but keep on looking. Occasional frost. Found some hens though.
Posted By: nyhuntfish

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/22/19 10:27 AM

I'm afraid of mushrooms. Even Ray Mears says he won't teach it and he's taken formal fungi courses. I don't think this can be the answer though. I need to figure this out.
Posted By: Hern

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/22/19 01:00 PM

Am lucky to have them on our property. Neat watching them grow fast.
Also hunt other properties .Wife and I keep family supplied.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

some Morels like to hide...
[Linked Image]

I use a snake hook to move grass & weeds to look for those hiding...
[Linked Image]

many stand tall...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/22/19 01:54 PM

Really nice pics hern.
Posted By: run

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/22/19 03:12 PM

I wish I could find some morels. I think I need to go spend some time walking around.

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/22/19 03:15 PM

great pics Hern.gonna give it a go up here this year and see what happens.
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/22/19 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by run
I wish I could find some morels. I think I need to go spend some time walking around.

run - go west just a little up the mountain - mature poplar forest and creek bottoms.

I dont know that area real well, but you should be able to find some
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 03/22/19 04:09 PM

I would have to imagine all of Pennsylvania has Morels. I have found them in just about every type of habitat there is. Found a couple last year growing in pure sugar sand 1 foot off the 2 track in Northern Michigan last year. I usually look in thick shaded poplar stands early in the season for the black variety. Grey/whites are found under elms, sycamores, cottonwood, white pine, oaks, grass, may apple, and just about anything else. Look everywhere until you find a couple and then look in similar places for more. Last year my best spot was a stand of cottonwoods that had been flooded in early spring and then receded. They were everywhere and even growing 10 feet out into a planted corn field.

Re: Morel Mushrooms - 04/01/19 02:58 AM

[Linked Image]
First ones for them year. Hope to find many more in the next few weeks.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums