Home

870 Jamming Problem w. picture

Posted By: GaTurkeyHunter

870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 02:35 PM

Went turkey hunting this morning. When to unload my gun and now I have a shell stuck with another shell coming out of the magazine and it is pushing on the shell that is ejecting. Any tips on how to remedy this situation?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pcr2

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 02:38 PM

have the same gun and never had that happen.interested to see what others say.
Posted By: white17

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 02:41 PM

can you push the lower shell forward ..back towards the magazine?? Maybe use 3 inch instead of 3.5" if that problem continues. Better yet..........buy a Beretta
Posted By: coonlove

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 02:46 PM

Take out the magazine tube end and spring and push the hung up round back out the tube.
Posted By: Chamacat

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 02:48 PM

Yep..You need to replace all the springs..
Posted By: 160user

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 02:52 PM

Typically when they double feed it is a cartridge stop issue. Either use a small screwdriver to push the lower round back into the tube or pull the barrel. About a 1 minute fix.
Posted By: old243

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 02:56 PM

Might be best to take it outside, to work on it. as well. old243
Posted By: squacks

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 02:58 PM

I believe 160user may be correct on this. The shell stop may be the problem.
Posted By: canecutter

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 03:06 PM

I tote the same gun shooten 31/2 " buckshot running deer dogs . When you unload it shuck it as fast as you can . 31/2`s dont like slow motion 3" and down not a problem .
Hope this help`s ya .
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 03:14 PM

Ejector problem. Extractor worked and held onto the shell for removal from the chamber. Ejector did not do its job of ejecting the shell from the receiver. Could be weak or broken.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by canecutter
I tote the same gun shooten 31/2 " buckshot running deer dogs . When you unload it shuck it as fast as you can . 31/2`s dont like slow motion 3" and down not a problem .
Hope this help`s ya .

i'd try jackin a few rounds through it with some umph before tearin too much apart.have shot 760's since i was a kid and find you have to do the same with them.

let us know what you figure out.please.
Posted By: lonewolf308

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 03:28 PM

I think the ejection speed might be a problem like cancutter said, you can't hesitate on a pump. If not either ammo or ejector
Posted By: Boco

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 03:50 PM

Does it do it with a fired shell?
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 03:52 PM

If the bottom shell was in the feed before the ejection happened the it would be the stop First tear it down and give it a GOOD cleaning. If that didn't happen still tear it down and give it a GOOD cleaning. If it still does it it is the ejector or ejector spring. If you aren't familiar with disassembly of the bolt take it to a gunsmith. Remingtons are famous for these kind of issues when dirty. I should know I own about 20 of their shotguns and several are 3 1/2s.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 04:04 PM

I have only had that happen when I did a slow ejection so I could just grab the she'll from the action and not let the shell hit the ground. With normal operation it's never happened to me.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 04:26 PM

Most guns regardless of action, bolt, pump, lever, even doubles, are made to run hard. Cycle them with enthusiasm and safety. Quickest way to jam is to baby it
Posted By: eagerbeaver

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by white17
can you push the lower shell forward ..back towards the magazine?? Maybe use 3 inch instead of 3.5" if that problem continues. Better yet..........buy a Beretta

Benelli
Posted By: beeman

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 04:56 PM

X2 My 870 will do same thing if I don't fully cycle it. I wasn't fully bringing forearm completely back after firing.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 04:57 PM

Ga,
the Ejector should be staked to the inside of the receiver, opposite the ejection port. Make sure it's still in place. The Extractor is what pulls the shell from the chamber. The case head looks like it is still caught by the extractor. Make sure both are in place and working correctly. Good idea to take it outside to dismantle and clear the jam so you can get a good look. Sometimes the speed at which the action is worked may effect ejection, but usually on smaller gage size. I would clean and lubricate everything well before re-assembling.
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 05:05 PM

Make sure the Ejector is intact. ^ I had to replace one recently , but it wasnt an 870.
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 06:42 PM

Hope this help`s ya .

I have carried an 870 for years. This is your problem. Don’t mess around with the pump, pump that sucker like you mean it. You can’t pump an 870 slow. Mine kicks so dang hard with a 3.5” mag though you don’t have to think about it, it pumps itself. Lol
Posted By: johnsd16

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 07:12 PM

Classic consequence of a “short stroke”. Be sure to cycle with authority all the way to the back of the slide cycle.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 09:31 PM

Did he even go past the shell stop in the first place might be a heat of the moment loading mistake!
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/23/19 11:40 PM

Short chucked is what it looks like from where I am sitting
Posted By: plumber

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/24/19 12:19 AM

Guys read the question. Pull the dang shell put the other one in the pipe and smoke that thunder chicken. That is how you remedy that problem.
Posted By: nyhuntfish

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/24/19 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dfabs
Hope this help`s ya .

I have carried an 870 for years. This is your problem. Don’t mess around with the pump, pump that sucker like you mean it. You can’t pump an 870 slow. Mine kicks so dang hard with a 3.5” mag though you don’t have to think about it, it pumps itself. Lol

Yes I seem for forget to pump the 870 hard but everyone tells me to do this. Yet I still don't and get jams.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/24/19 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
Typically when they double feed it is a cartridge stop issue. Either use a small screwdriver to push the lower round back into the tube or pull the barrel. About a 1 minute fix.

Yep, I have even used the tip of a knife while in the field to push the bottom shell into the tube.
Posted By: Snare loop

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/24/19 02:18 AM

Push the two trigger pins out and remove the trigger group. jammed shells should fall out.
If this is a one time deal it may be a shell sizing problem. Lots of that out there these days.

More than once the ejector or assist spring is done.
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/24/19 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Short chucked is what it looks like from where I am sitting

Yep, same thing happens with my winchester 1300 when I short pump.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/24/19 03:44 AM

when the old wingmasters did that the wooden dowel in the magazine gets swell spots causing it to get sluggish sand paper and oil fixs it. 870S are one tough gun! That gun alone put Remington in the history books. If my extrema fires as many rounds as my old magnum 870 ill be happy and dead!
Posted By: murderspolywog

Re: 870 Jamming Problem w. picture - 03/24/19 04:50 AM

Mine has done that with 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells happens most often when I am trying to change around for some reason and not trying to kick out a shell or feed a new one. Just push bottom shell forward with a knife blade and yank the top shell out. Or if its really stuck pull trigger group out, I think I can do that with out the gun being in battery. I have not had the problem in years I just pick my shells out of the dirt and wipe them off. It's an 870 it don't care how dirty they are.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums