Home

Spindle gear for very old Grinder

Posted By: kytrapper

Spindle gear for very old Grinder - 03/24/19 05:34 PM

I have a commercial meat grinder that was probably made in the thirties. I think it says Chicago on it. I was grinding some bobcat meat today and the gear on the bottom that drives the big round wheel gear, sorry for the nomenclature, gave up the ghost. I think it may be called the spindle gear. I’ve looked for the past half hour on the internet and do not see anything like it. My question is where can I find this part? Sure hate losing the grinder due to a gear.
Posted By: beeman

Re: Spindle gear for very old Grinder - 03/24/19 08:38 PM

Maybe if you show everyone a picture of the gear and grinder someone may be able help you.

Re: Spindle gear for very old Grinder - 03/24/19 09:09 PM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I believe it is hard plastic or some sort of composite so it gives before the gears on the big main wheel does. It’s an inch and an eighth long.
Posted By: Sullivan K

Re: Spindle gear for very old Grinder - 03/24/19 09:16 PM

Try Boston Gear
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Spindle gear for very old Grinder - 03/24/19 09:24 PM

cant quite understand why that application would have a spiral gear and mid 30's wouldn't be plastic, cast iron ?? also that era parts were used in different products check auto, farm old chain hoists

Re: Spindle gear for very old Grinder - 03/24/19 09:45 PM

I suspect it has been replaced with this spiral gear by someone. So maybe I can use a straight toothed gear in its place?
Posted By: Don

Re: Spindle gear for very old Grinder - 03/24/19 10:02 PM

If you take it to a commercial gear cutting company or even a machine shop they will probably be able to make you a new one. It is a softer material so it goes before the main gear.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Spindle gear for very old Grinder - 03/25/19 12:43 AM

This is where i get things like that to fabricobble stuff.

https://www.mcmaster.com/gears
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Spindle gear for very old Grinder - 03/25/19 12:47 AM

Yeah McMaster Carr is a good place dealt with them a fair amount, also here the Hobart store can get a lot of that stuff or at least point you in the right direction, I know you’re probably not going to drive to Iowa but maybe you can find one down there.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Spindle gear for very old Grinder - 03/25/19 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by kytrapper
I suspect it has been replaced with this spiral gear by someone. So maybe I can use a straight toothed gear in its place?

I see no reason for that to be a spiral gear in the first place.I think you could have a straight spindal made for not much money.
Posted By: Spek Jones

Re: Spindle gear for very old Grinder - 03/25/19 01:34 AM

The teeth on it will have to match the pitch and angle of the teeth on the big gear. Look at the big one and see if the teeth are angled or straight. I expect the teeth on both gears are angled, otherwise that little gear would never have fit on there in the first place.
Posted By: PopPop

Re: Spindle gear for very old Grinder - 03/26/19 06:50 PM

Find a machine shop near you, they could put you in the right direction.

Re: Spindle gear for very old Grinder - 03/26/19 09:11 PM

The teeth on the big gear will be angled. Two reasons for building it like that. With gears cut like that the thing will run quieter then with straight gears and it will be more durable because more material is engaged at any given time.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Spindle gear for very old Grinder - 03/26/19 09:13 PM

Does the mechanism convert rotary motion to linear motion?

Re: Spindle gear for very old Grinder - 03/26/19 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Eagleye
Does the mechanism convert rotary motion to linear motion?

Nope it is just a big reduction transmission to gain torque at low rpm.
As I said earlier, the angle in the gearing is done to reduce noise and increase contact points and contact area, allowing to transmit more force without chatter

Re: Spindle gear for very old Grinder - 03/26/19 11:10 PM

The big one is in fact angled. I went and looked. I think it’s a helical gear. I’ve sent a couple of emails and the pics to the above mentioned companies. Thanks.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Spindle gear for very old Grinder - 03/26/19 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
The teeth on the big gear will be angled. Two reasons for building it like that. With gears cut like that the thing will run quieter then with straight gears and it will be more durable because more material is engaged at any given time.

Helical cut teeth are definitely quieter but straight cut are stronger. It has to do with deflection angle.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums