Home

Antiques

Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Antiques - 03/25/19 04:25 AM

Who collects antiques and what do you collect?
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 04:28 AM

Sir, I'm really not an antique collector . However , one thing I always keep an eye out for are covered wagon parts. Especially the ribs for the canvas. Not common , but every so often ....
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 05:47 AM

Covered wagon parts........wow,talk about historic! I wonder how long since nice anyone actually made covered wagons?
mt
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Covered wagon parts........wow,talk about historic! I wonder how long since nice anyone actually made covered wagons?
mt

They still Make them not all that many a year but there are still a few made every year or so, mostly for people that want something unique for their draft horses to pull in parades, reinactments ect, there’s also a demand for rebuilding old ones for the same reason

Used to go by a place that had several just sitting out along the road on display
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 09:08 AM

I like knives, traps and cameras. Technically most I have classify as vintage, not antique.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 09:09 AM

yes old tins and boxes
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 11:26 AM

Dont have a lot but I like old saddles and bridles.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 11:30 AM

inherited our family farm of 130 yrs and everything on it.

as someone here said."i have an inventory control issue.

swear i have at least one of everything but a pig castrator. grin
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 11:47 AM

My family loves to go antique shopping. We rarely buy anything. Just love looking. I’m always looking for old traps and very rare stuff. Here is a 1902 crockpot. It has thick iron plates that had to be heated, and then plates and food where placed inside. I don’t think it worked very good

Attached picture BA4C82C9-1C11-4B82-9EA1-4186E2786BDF.jpeg
Attached picture CC137080-F1D4-4A15-94CA-4729181D4972.jpeg
Attached picture 65180427-D6A8-4544-A010-A986C81CFBF7.jpeg
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 11:56 AM

Pawnee
That's pretty unique. Cool find.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 12:18 PM

I have a house full of them. I don't think I have a room in the house that doesn't have something antique in it. Both the wife and I enjoy antiques.

1850s candle lantern and the table it is setting on, the Hoosier in the background. Pre Revolutionary War "Sampler", lamp and wall sconce...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 01:36 PM

I know No "values" of Antiques, just what is Old and what I like.

I make lighting out of some old pieces, benches out of others...I have a windrow treeline thats starting to look like Sanford & Son. s place. I just enjoy the Hunt itself the most.
Posted By: Ohio

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
My family loves to go antique shopping. We rarely buy anything. Just love looking. I’m always looking for old traps and very rare stuff. Here is a 1902 crockpot. It has thick iron plates that had to be heated, and then plates and food where placed inside. I don’t think it worked very good

I have seen one before. I was told it was used on the Rail Road.

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
mt

I'm not sure how long since they made THE covered wagon parts , only that the ribs are more common than I would've thought. Meaning they're still pretty rare but you can find them.

Oddest thing I ever saw was a child's viewing coffin in an antique store in OKC. Who in the world would buy something with such a sad purpose ?
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 04:20 PM

I collect NTA belt buckles and old fishing reels.
Posted By: Timothy

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 04:25 PM

If you guys like old covered wagons/parts/and how to make them go on youtube and watch EngelsCoachShop. This guy built two Borax wagons from scratch off the originals. And a whole lot more.. Be careful his videos and demeanor are addictive. I watched them for weeks on end and I have no desire to have and old wagon but it sure is interesting to watch a master craftsman do his thing.
Posted By: Trapper Will

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 06:04 PM

I collect and restore antique and vintage tube type r
adios. [Linked Image]
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 06:06 PM

I don't know why but I can't walk by a used coleman lantern without buying it.

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Will
I collect and restore antique and vintage tube type r
adios. [Linked Image]

Nice!

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by OhioBoy
I don't know why but I can't walk by a used coleman lantern without buying it.

LOL!
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron Proffitt

Oddest thing I ever saw was a child's viewing coffin in an antique store in OKC. Who in the world would buy something with such a sad purpose ?

There are all sorts of people who collect all sorts of unusual items. When asked why, the best answer I've heard was that it is all part of our history.
Posted By: traphound

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 08:38 PM

Collect signs,tins,vintage hunting,fishing and trapping items,have a small house and about out of room but can't stop looking,its all about the hunt
Posted By: Newt

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 08:49 PM

I'm one
Posted By: boncoon

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 10:20 PM

Not a collector, but always facinated with the older small camper trailers. I love camping, have a late 50's I've camped in a few times. I see the ones that have been restored and just wish----.

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by 20scout
Originally Posted by Aaron Proffitt

There are all sorts of people who collect all sorts of unusual items. When asked why, the best answer I've heard was that it is all part of our history.

Good as answer as any I guess.
Posted By: kenny k

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 11:09 PM

Got a lot! Was into flea markets and Antique malls . But it all fell apart in 1999. To many shows on TV so people thought there stuff was worth a fortune. I kept all my wood decoys ,wood fishing lures , old traps. old R/R lanterns ,old rods and lots of reels. My honey has lots of glass all colors. The kitchen look like the 1930s. It's all a retirement plan.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 11:37 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Stanley yardstick that reads right to left.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Antiques - 03/25/19 11:38 PM

[Linked Image]
Cast iron "horsey bank"
Posted By: redsnow

Re: Antiques - 03/26/19 12:52 AM

Interesting. I don't really collect any one single item. I like antiques. Old hand tools, axes, copper and brass kettles are neat. I like my iron skillets too. Handmade chairs. Stuff that will still function, and yet as old as the hills. I have some old glass, more or less all of it is just a conversation piece.
Posted By: hrdtoflw

Re: Antiques - 03/26/19 01:14 AM

[Linked Image]
This is one of my latest finds. From 1880's. We have our house decorated with antiques that we have collected over the last 30 years.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Antiques - 07/11/19 06:49 PM

I am surrounded by 200 year old stuff every day. There are farms not far from me that were built in the 1400's.

Most of the great antique furniture in France has already been bought and sold many times, but I enjoy finding the little things that made a big difference in somebody's life back in the day.

Pete
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Antiques - 07/11/19 08:08 PM

I believe the covering for the wagons were a canvas made from flax
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Antiques - 07/11/19 09:27 PM

I have quite a collection of old tools. It started when I was 10 and my grand mother gave me the hand woodworking tools I watched my grandfather use in his shop. I have at least a few dozen old planes, draw knives, treadle grinding stone, all the timber framing axes, boring machine, slicks, etc... I also have a few of his old coal mining antiques from a mine he owned 'til about 1960.

If anybody has unique old woodworking tools, I might be interested if they are usable and something I don't have.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Antiques - 07/11/19 10:00 PM

Worst things I've ever seen being being sold were a gravestone and GAR markers from graves.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Antiques - 07/12/19 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by pcr2
inherited our family farm of 130 yrs and everything on it.

as someone here said."i have an inventory control issue.

swear i have at least one of everything but a pig castrator. grin

That cannot possibly be true!
With as many "what is it" threads which you have opined that the item was a pig castrator, half of your entire collection would very likely be considered as a pig castrator by your own words. smile
© 2024 Trapperman Forums