Home

Sold Coyotes to Greonwald

Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 12:21 AM

Shipped 25 coyotes. 1@75 11@60 8@45 5@25 49 average before $60 shipping.

Late season Southwset Kansas Pales. Mainly. Little surprised the market softened that much. Put up was excellent.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 12:56 AM

I'm not sure if the market softened but I think buyers start to tread lightly with later season goods. I was hearing close to a 55 avg. for good quality and put up coyotes from SW NE earlier in the season. I had a friend that just took about 100 coyotes to Petska and they told him that the market softened and they weren't paying no more than a 45 avg. I'm not sure if they are talking overall market or just the market they target.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 01:04 AM

The coyote market didn’t soften. Groeny took you.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 01:20 AM

That's a lot better than what I got
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

Could you tell the class what they graded out at?

Could you tell the class what the mkt is for commercial skins with a few semis mixed in?

Thanks
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 03:24 AM

I usally but not always have better luck with late season sales, spring ssles, prices soften up, but nor always, then sometimes, late summer or early fall pt ssles, with leftovers, do well
Posted By: Poorcoon

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 03:51 AM

Wow I'm still just surprised to learn that southwest Kansas had pale coyotes. And that even late caught ones bring $60. And then that somebody would be a little disappointed in that. I sold a few central Nebraska ones for 45 at NAFA and some other ones that average 50 at petska

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Marty B

Could you tell the class what the mkt is for commercial skins with a few semis mixed in?

Thanks

Here you can read clearly where Nafa says the coyote market is strong!
[Linked Image]

Here you can see the prices of the latest Nafa sale. Broken down into different sections. Notice Semi:
[Linked Image]

Here you can read the results of the latest Colorado sale and see what coyotes averaged there.
[Linked Image]

Here you can see exactly what coyotes got per state at the latest Colorado sale. If you look closely, you will see that Kansas is in there and the average was higher than what Groeny was paying. And just look at that high price will ya!
[Linked Image]

What did you learn today?

(1) Groeny does not pay as much as others.
(2) Send fur to Nafa.
(3) You got ripped off by Groeny too.

Now Marty B, sit in the corner and think about what you did.

Thanks
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 04:10 AM

Today I watched a guy from Florida sell about 50 coyotes caught in south central Kansas to Groenewold at the south Ga stop. The prices he received were almost identical to the Op's.

One thing I noticed is those coyotes aren't much different looking than a bristlebacked Georgia coyote color- wise and texture-wise. There were more in his batch of coyotes that had heavier under fur than ever seen in Georgia, but they were not pales by any stretch of the imagination
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 04:23 AM

"The lower prices and clearances of the ranch mink sale most likely had an impact on this article. " The NAFA wild fur guys are blaming the owners of NAFA? Wow!

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 04:41 AM

Could you tell the class what the mkt is for commercial skins with a few semis mixed in......... today?

Thanks

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 05:11 AM

I trust Marty. You should too.

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 12:12 PM

Thanks Coyote Clayton, I've seen your put up, and your right it is excellent.

The vast majority of KS people I've talked to in the last 3 weeks said they avg'd somewhere between $45 to $65 at the recent international auctions. Most in the $50's

So, when a KS trapper say's he sold to a country buyer for $50 plus or minus.....there's a 98% chance that was a fair price.

Without grading/seeing them in person no one can say though. But, a 98% chance covers a lot of situations.

It would be the height of arrogant ignorance to suggest someone was "Took" without knowing the grade, or the mkt.

That kind of behavior reminds me of someone.....I cant put my finger on it................

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Creek

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 01:10 PM

Clayton I did not do much better at NAFA.
I sold 23 coyotes Top $82 with 3 damaged III`s
Avg was $54,
Posted By: trapperne

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 01:15 PM

In the last 3 weeks I have bought 3 different sets of finished coyotes from Kansas $38,44,63 all in average $60. Market haven’t softened but I wouldn’t say he got took, I’d say he did about average for that type of coyote
Posted By: tbn

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Marty B
Thanks Coyote Clayton, I've seen your put up, and your right it is excellent.

The vast majority of KS people I've talked to in the last 3 weeks said they avg'd somewhere between $45 to $65 at the recent international auctions. Most in the $50's

So, when a KS trapper say's he sold to a country buyer for $50 plus or minus.....there's a 98% chance that was a fair price.

Without grading/seeing them in person no one can say though. But, a 98% chance covers a lot of situations.

It would be the height of arrogant ignorance to suggest someone was "Took" without knowing the grade, or the mkt.

That kind of behavior reminds me of someone.....I cant put my finger on it................

[Linked Image]

Hey don't drag me into this drama. grin
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Creek
Avg was $54,

Minus your fees

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 02:05 PM

Maybe I should stop comparing Canadian stuff to American stuff. My bad.

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 02:33 PM

You sure smoked out a lot of the fur buying bandits with your comment though. smile
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 02:40 PM

A wise man once told me, 'Your fur is worth what you can get for it the day you sell.'

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt

You sure smoked out a lot of the fur buying bandits with your comment though. smile

Lol that’s for sure!

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Creek
Avg was $54,

Thanks Jack.

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 03:18 PM

Insinuating Marty and Terry are dishonest ain't cool.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by bacatrapper
A wise man once told me, 'Your fur is worth what you can get for it the day you sell.'

Hey I know that guy too lol

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Coyote Clayton

it seems like, there are always guys, who even if you give em $100 a hide, will complain they got ripped because they didnt get 110. Im sure its not just fur prices either, they probably complain about everything.

I never sold to marty, but gregg and his son treated me very well last year, on my crappy sw kansas coyotes. The crybabies need to go to the colorado sale and look at some heavy montana/nd yotes, they might change their tune a bit.........or maybe not.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 03:51 PM

Wasn't to long ago there were complaints on here about GFW attempting to destroy the international auctions by paying more for muskrats and then NAFA got kicked for selling coon to GFW (reportedly)

Thank You guys for making this Winter tolerable
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 04:02 PM

There's always a certain amount of fluidity in situations, especially when there is a timing/seasonal thing going on. A lot of yotes have been sold by now and are moving through the pipeline towards end users both through the auctions and big country buyers. How many orders are still out there to be filled and how much fur is now being bought on speculation for later order filling is probably in play. There's also an need/want by many trappers to move any fur they have left (a number of state don't allow the storage of untanned fur) so the seller is a bit more under pressure to "do something" and the buyers know this. Not saying this is what happened in this particular case, but I've heard that language before ("the market is softening") in selling muskrats and coon late or at the end of the season. Depending on a guy's input costs, those central plains yotes probably still bring a profit to the seller. Its all a roll of dice to a certain degree anyway. If a seller is satisfied with the prices and believes he's been treated fairly, that's what matters. There's a lot of commodity selling where a guy can say, "should've, could've, would've". Buyers who constantly "take" sellers generally don't stay in business over time.Reputation still matters unless there are no other selling options. Don't think most guys are in that position yet.

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by bacatrapper

it seems like, there are always guys, who even if you give em $100 a hide, will complain they got ripped because they didnt get 110. Im sure its not just fur prices either, they probably complain about everything.

I never sold to marty, but gregg and his son treated me very well last year, on my crappy sw kansas coyotes. The crybabies need to go to the colorado sale and look at some heavy montana/nd yotes, they might change their tune a bit.........or maybe not.

Furbuyers are businessmen. So am I. Calling them thieves is all part of the negotiation. Nothing personal. Don't ever let them know your happy!
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 04:11 PM

That would be correct, the U.S. coyote market in the country this year at the state fur sales was probably 10-15% higher than any Canadian auction in the same time frame. The competition was very tough, sometimes break even or a couple dollar profit at best. If a buyer has to pay a little less away from the auctions, it's because they have pretty significant travel expenses driving around the country, living in motels, eating at fast food joints and keeping fuel in trucks big enough to haul a trailer, in addition to getting paid on the spot for all of your fur without waiting sometimes for a year or two for all your fur to sell. All this when the Canadian auctions have the fur delivered to them, sell and pay for it AFTER they sell it and keep 1/3 for themselves, (they charge the buyers far more commissions than they charge trappers/hunters, now who do you think really pays for all these up charges?

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 04:26 PM

"Calling them thieves is all part of the negotiation. Nothing personal. Don't ever let them know your happy!" Yes, sensei.

I am very unhappy, now. mad

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 04:41 PM

So as long as the country buyers rip off all their customers then it’s fair. Got it! Makes total sense. You all got ripped off equally, nice and fair. Wheeew!

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 04:45 PM

I think you did ok clayton. I sold my last 8 the week after the co sale, to lathan in johnson Ks. I had 2@80, 2@60, and 4@40, for 55 avg. He showed me why he priced as such, once I saw what he was looking at, it made sense to me. along what I learned about fur from Al, Todd, and Kortum at the sale the week before I was happy. All yotes taken around the 15 of jan, about the time the weather shut us down. They were starting to break in morton and stanton county.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 05:27 PM

So as long as the country buyers rip off all their customers then it’s fair. Got it! Makes total sense. You all got ripped off equally, nice and fair. Wheeew!

Your Canada auctions didn't impress me this year.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 06:32 PM

interesting post JP just looked up the auction results myself

NAFA-westernsemi--59.75
eastern- 40.00

FHA western- 87.53
central- 32.57
eastern- 58.77

western hevy I believe was 93.00 and these results are US dollars not Canadian

these are the averages

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 06:34 PM

I just dropped off some fur at the NAFA pick up in Ark city. The consensus was the same 50-55 avg. NAFA and in country sales. I sent coyotes to NAFA for years. Never beat the large country buyers.
Posted By: Dave Plueger

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 07:06 PM

Explain how you get ripped off when if you don't like Groeny's offer, they'll ship your fur back to you at THEIR expense. Will NAFA, or FH do that if you don't like the hammer price? Absolutely NOT!
Posted By: Mark Steck

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 07:06 PM

It's easy to call someone a thief from behind a key board, but it's not right.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 07:24 PM

Good job
No looking back Clayton
There is always someone around that will kick your Dog.

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 07:34 PM

"Calling them thieves is all part of the negotiation. Nothing personal. Don't ever let them know your happy!" Yes, sensei.

I am very unhappy, now. mad

[Linked Image]

Apply liberally. It will ease the pain.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 07:38 PM

i need to print this post and put it on the wall in front of my desk so i can show people why i'm not buying fur when they ask.
Posted By: Catpincher

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 07:39 PM

How can you call a willing buyer, willing saler trade a rip off? Any Buyer that makes an offer to buy my fur and I accept is alright in my book, if I take a bid that is lower than my happy price that is my fault not the buyer. Any buyer gets my Fur bought I will buy them Dinner, might be beans and weenies or prime rib and shrimp depending on how I feel about the price I accepted.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 08:36 PM

Cat, that reminds me of back in the day when Goldberg had buying stations in Oregon. NewHouse114 and I would bring our fur, sell it, and help Dick Stewart (the Goldberg buyer) shag fur the whole rest of the day ....and sometimes convince him to take us out for dinner for our help.

Those were the good ol' days!

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Horse Creek Fur
I like Marty’s posts, spot on. I’m just curious about the downturn in the market. A guy said he sold 100 coyotes to Petska and was told that the market softened. I thought Marty was a Petska guy so that’s why I asked him what happened. No offense to anyone intended believe me. And I was smoked out by the softening market story. It sounded like Clayton did well and Groenwold paid him according to what they were looking at. If you’re not with Petska then please disregard Marty.

I saw a set of 100 @ $45 ( on $120 basis) go through the shop last week. I don't know where they came from, but it was a good section.

The clean ones were great. Even the Jurassic potato head would like them.

But, the bulk of them were just harvested too late. 50 % or more should probably have never been skinned. Just worn out.

There's a good chance they were someone's sort offs.

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Horse Creek Fur
If they were leftovers as you suspect then the price sounds good. Thanks for clarifying Marty. I think you were at Hugo when I was dropping off my coyotes. I was too interested in Al and Bruce grading and sorting my coyotes to wander around the building. I should have looked you up then. Perhaps next year I’ll get around to socializing. I pay attention to everything coyote related in order to be a competitive buyer. As I said before, I value Marty’s posts for being spot on. That’s why my interest was piqued.

I remember that set of coyotes. I kept fur on the table in front of Al and Bruce so they could lot em up. Being from Colorado, that is the first set of fur id seen from your area, Bruce and Al were great at showing how they was lotting, was an excellent learning experiance for me personally. You guys have some big coyotes up there.

Re: Sold Coyotes to Greonwald - 03/30/19 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
i need to print this post and put it on the wall in front of my desk so i can show people why i'm not buying fur when they ask.

LOL!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums