Home

Favorite dp trap

Posted By: Michael Lippold

Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 03:19 PM

What’s everyone’s favorite dog proof, and why?

Looking to buy some more this year. Thanks
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 03:29 PM

I use the Lil Grizz. But probably because when I bought them, they were the only one of that design type at the time. I don’t really think you could go wrong with any of them nowadays. Just a matter of preference to a pull only trigger or push/pull.

I still prefer the pull only. Just my opinion though.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 03:44 PM

X2 another trap design that's evolving good points on them all I have Dukes just because I bought a couple years ago to try and no issues with them so I bought more i have read that pull triggers are the way to go and maybe true but can depend on what you bait with and the amount
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 03:49 PM

X3, The Grizz is by far my fav, you can't beat the springs and longevity. With that said, I did good this past season with some Diablos from Wolf Creek. That clean out door is handy!

Posted By: tjm

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 04:25 PM

Mine are Coon Collectors, some of the first made. I liked the one finger set and easy release of unwanted catch plus the clean out door was innovative at the time.
If I buy more they will likely be Coon Daggers, because if has all the good points of the Grizz and maybe some improvements. Improvements enough to patent.
Tell the truth, I don't use DP often, they are for those barn jobs.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 04:57 PM

I like the Ztrap but it's the only one I've used.
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 05:12 PM

Ztrap. The two way trigger setup I prefer. Good strong springs also.
Posted By: Miley

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Northmocats
Ztrap. The two way trigger setup I prefer. Good strong springs also.

X2
Posted By: BillyTraps

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 05:23 PM

PCS Feather Light Raccoon Dog Proof Trap ...$89 doz

The First Ever Cast Aluminum Dog Proof Raccoon & Opossum Trap! Made in the USA!
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 08:20 PM

Only brand Ive used are Zs. See no need to change as they are a coon catching device. Have 6 dozen.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 09:58 PM

COON DAGGER, COON DAGGER, COON DAGGER, COON DAGGER, COON DAGGER !! laugh

w
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 10:02 PM

Is Z trap the one that is a patent infringement on the Coon Dagger ?
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 10:04 PM

Grizzes.
Posted By: ShonIngram

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 10:07 PM

I have always been a fan of the Duke. But that being said, I sell a lot of the PCS Feather Lights in our website store too. Its honestly a matter of personal preference. They all catch coon extremely well.

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by trapper les
Is Z trap the one that is a patent infringement on the Coon Dagger ?

What a memory. I'm not sure we can talk about that though.

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 11:13 PM

I assume that is why it got brought up. It is a secret plot. laugh

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 11:14 PM

I bought the Coon Daggers myself, out of respect for Carlis Stevens.

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 11:17 PM

I like Carlis and I bought his SVS #4 too, that may be the best cat/coyote trap I've seen. That guy really is a trapper and I wish him the best.

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 11:25 PM

I know we are off topic now, but...I was showing off them SVS traps yesterday to a couple of friends. I have 18 of them in 3 makes, and the last 6 were the cast jaw offset traps. And I have caught a cat in that trap now. I might buy a few more.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 11:31 PM

I just bought 5 dozen used SVS #4s just got them all tuned. I really like the way they operate, looking forward to putting them to work next year. Also just ordered some paddle fish oil from him

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 11:36 PM

Mine are some of his early prototypes before he was even able to get the cast jaws made, I had to get Dave Sheldon to build me some setters for them but nothing has gotten out of them yet,
I believe the Dagger and the #4 are both "made in USA". I had gone to the Spoonbill Tman meeting to buy some Daggers and Carlis showed me some #4s and took all my money but I got cat traps instead of coon traps. If not the best sold they are at least a dang good bang for the dollar.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 11:37 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I’ve got a couple dozen dukes, some daggers, and bought a couple of those freedom brand that are easy to set. Have caught coons in all of them. I did see that no bs is making some that come with a chain wolf fang stake already attatched, and we’re cheaper than most other dps

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 11:40 PM

I bought 2 dozen Daggers from him last summer, and I want to try them out.

I have 6 offset, unlaminated #4s, and 6 outside laminated offsets, as well as 6 cast jawed offsets. They aren't just cat traps. They'll hold coyotes too, and that is what I first set them for. Nice big kill zone, lol.

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 11:41 PM

Can I ask what some of you use for bait in your DPs ?

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/02/19 11:52 PM

Back a few years ago the Jack Mackerel from the dollar store was said to the top bait but caused salt corrosion to traps, was said to be even better in laced with a spoonful of liquid smoke. Cheap dry cat food was right there in popularity too.
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/03/19 12:00 AM

Cheap cat food with a little bit of coon candy. Might try some liquid smoke this year.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/03/19 12:05 AM

I bought the original Griz. Didn’t like that I couldn’t get them out of ground that suddenly froze over night so I sold them and bought Dukes. Then I discovered everything sticks in frozen ground. Duhhh-learning curve!

Anyway, I’ve got a couple dozen Griz/Sterling Griz, a couple dozen Dukes and about 7 dozen Ztraps. Almost all are pull only but I have some push-pull triggers as well. They ALL work just fine.

We use them with rebar, cable stakes, cabled to solid objects and on drowners. Everything works though on dry land I prefer cable stakes or rebar.

There are a hundred baits on the market and I’ll bet a manufacturer wouldn’t make, package and sell a product if it didn’t work. Get your trap on a trail or location coon can see or smell it and you have a good chance at catching it.

Re: Favorite dp trap - 04/03/19 12:14 AM

Daggers have tab on them that sets over a 3/16" rod so that they can be used in froze ground. Say a welding rod or similar driven in and the trap set on that so the coon can disengage it rather than twist out. I believe all the original Griz belong to Sterling now. Last I knew the new models were sold by Traps USA but I'm not sure they are still going. The bad market wacks the manufacturers hard especially the USA makers.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums