Home

Something run off with my 330

Posted By: crazy Eddy

Something run off with my 330 - 04/03/19 10:20 PM

I been beaver trapping a small feeder stream that runs about 1/2 a mile between a larger creek and a cattail swamp. I had two 330's set about 10 feet apart in the stream. A perfect fit for a 330. Both traps had poles through the spring eyes, and cables attach to saplings . The first trap had a beaver. The second trap both poles were leaning down stream, sapling was broke,trap was gone. I followed the stream, which you can literally jump across. And is two feet deep, the whole 1/2 mile with no luck. At first my thoughts were someone ripped it. Why didn't they take the other trap. I can't believe a beaver could drag that trap, that far, without hanging up. Tomorrow we search the cattail swamp. I have to admit this is interesting. I will keep you posted.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/03/19 10:22 PM

Bear.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/03/19 10:38 PM

Tail caught adult beaver
Posted By: nyrat

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/03/19 10:49 PM

or tail caught adult otter
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/03/19 11:18 PM

Tail caught otter is my guess too!!
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/03/19 11:19 PM

Toe caught bigfoot is my guess !
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/03/19 11:19 PM

OTTER
Posted By: Bearguy

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/03/19 11:29 PM

Most likely an otter. I added swivels and cable to all my large conibears after the same situation. I found the otter though up under a tree root 30 yds. downstream.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/04/19 12:05 AM

Otter was my first thought as a similar thing happened with a Belisle 160 that I did not secure as solidly as I should have. Set specifically for otter too!

Chris
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/04/19 12:12 AM

im with the OTTER crowd, especially if your triggers are not tuned to close with minimal travel

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/04/19 12:24 AM

Look for tracks.If it was a beaver or otter you would see a big mess before the sapling broke off.I still say bear.
If its a bear your chances of finding the trap/beaver are slim to none.If it was not you will be able to find it.
Posted By: slowpoke

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/04/19 12:26 AM

Yep , happened to me as well . I thought for sure someone stole my 330 ...almost gave up searching, but saw some bubbles under the ice ...
Otter was dead on the bottom , with the 330 across his hips . He chewed the trap tag off and had the cable frayed from spinning ...
They are strong critters....
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/04/19 12:35 AM

Bear should have munched on the other beaver and left anger management marks at being caught. Winner would be an otter with close second, big foot, as according to Coast to Coast AM, they like rocking pop up campers and I might as well add to the legend that they like wading in small streams trying on 330's as leg bracelets as they like bling.

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/04/19 12:45 AM

The bear don't get caught they take off with the beaver and trap.Lost about half a dozen to bear each year doing beaver removal for the railroad.They wont take a bunch just one.They never eat the beaver on the spot,always take off with them.Wolf drag them up out of the water then eat them right there.
Bear is unmistakeable-straight pull and gone.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/04/19 12:59 AM

Only two things run off with 330's on them Elephant's and people
Posted By: David Morse

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/04/19 01:07 AM

I had a bear take beaver and 330 several hundred yards down stream but I was easily able to find everything by the blood trail he made with his meal.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/04/19 01:24 AM

I have had bear take 330 and beaver also. Never found either.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/04/19 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Bear.

Not Too many bear around Oswego, N.Y. Boco.

My Money's on an otter caught too far back, also.

w
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/04/19 02:38 AM

Could be the otter got caught during the day and Johnny Sneakum took it, then the beaver got caught afterwards, over night
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/04/19 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tommie
Toe caught bigfoot is my guess !

Mine too! eek
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/04/19 02:43 AM

I’m guessing it was a Chubacabra. They are sneaky suckers.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/04/19 02:50 AM

Cougar.

there will be so many agents out there the next day someone should find something like your 330.
Posted By: don403

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/06/19 03:28 AM

sound like a otter.
Posted By: james dymond

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/06/19 09:01 AM

What brand of 330?
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/06/19 11:17 AM

Man, I have had bears take off with a few beaver. Never much struggle at the site, but fifty yards away have found a half beaver and the rest hurriedly buried. Doesn't seem to matter what it's anchored to short of a solid tree.

As for otter, I have found them to be very easy to kill in a 330. In a belilse or sauvageau they often don't even get the trap off the stabilizer sticks. Even hip caught my cable is never twisted or even drawn tight on the anchor. Out of 14 otter this year all looked to be dead in seconds. And the deadest otter I ever had was in a 120 Victor set for muskrat on two little stabilizer sticks. The xxl otter was dead in the run. Looked like it had hit the trap and stopped, still on the sticks.

Obviously it could be anything, but I have never found an otter to be overly tough. A big beaver will test your equipment. Even in a brand new sauvageau have had a few neck caught twist the heck out of 3/32 cable. Looked like a quarter turn in the trap. Always dead, but i can recall two that fought like (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) for a minute or so.

Here if there is any funny business a bear is often the culprit. I had to kill a few a while back to keep from losing too much fur. Dam sets where they crossed were the worst.
Posted By: 70sdiver

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/06/19 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by turkn8rtrapper
Tail caught adult beaver

My thinking to!
Posted By: otterdog

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/06/19 11:53 AM

Well, did you ever find the trap and culprit??
Posted By: crazy Eddy

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/07/19 02:27 PM

Update! On day two I got up early, made two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, grabbed a Coors lite and took a 5 hour hike into the huge cattail swamp. I focused mainly on waterways. Feeder streams etc. Came out with nothing. On day three on made 3 egg and olive sandwiches,one Coors lite and started grid searching the swamp. I went over my waders 3 hours into that search,and called it. Day four. This time I grappled a Bud lite, and no sandwiches. I resumed the grid search .2 hours in found the trap. It was 1/4 mile away from the catch on dry land. There was no indication of any struggle, It hung up on the right stick and he pulled right out. I would have to believe it was a tail caught Otter being that far away from water. Anyway it work out well for all of us. It won't happen again, because I'll start with the Bud lite first. Crazy!

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/07/19 02:35 PM

Every adventure has to have a BOOTER in it.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/07/19 02:48 PM

trap saw you were down to bud light and felt sorry for ya.

glad ya found it,you sound like me and wouldn't have rested til figured out.

also kudos to the time you put in,some wouldn't have.
Posted By: racerboy108

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/07/19 03:10 PM

I to would of been bugged until I found it.

I guess if I loose one in the future I need to become a beer drinker. Lol
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/07/19 03:45 PM

4 beers to find the trap! Seems ya had a plan and it worked..I like the story glad ya found the trap. I've had couple 330s disappear found them with beaver floating once water warmed. Was happy they were in place did't get swept away by current.
Around here people say it takes 3 beers to get to Dubuque IA ! Also a local cover bands name (3 beers til Dubuque) not sure which came first?? the road trip or band name. I like how you included the beer in the story though..

Mac

Re: Something run off with my 330 - 04/07/19 04:38 PM

Are beer not just fluid replacement for beaver trappers.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums