Home

Pulled over!

Posted By: Finster

Pulled over! - 04/05/19 01:58 AM

Well, I was working at the Perry plant in Ohio and staying at some dump of a campground in Thompson Ohio. I was doing 12.5 hour shifts with only one day off. I was switching from nights to days which sucked and in 72 hours I had maybe 12 hours of sleep so I was very grumpy. I was switching over a few hours a day which in hindsight, just prolonged the agony. Anyway, I was coming into Thompson on a Friday night around midnight. The speed limit goes from 55 to 35 with no warning and in 500 yards there is a stop sign which is a roundabout. I pass a cop coming the other direction just after (apparently) I get into this unmarked, mysterious 35mph zone. (I checked this all out the next day by the way... No signs).. He turns around and lights me up. By now, I'm in the roundabout and I pull over immediately. At this point I'm 1/4 mile from my camper, I'm insanely tired and grumpy to boot. He comes up to the truck and before he can open his mouth I say, "what's the issue officer?" (kind of snotty) He answers back, "The issue is you were doing 53 in a 35 zone." (even snottier) CRAP!, now I'm in the wrong I thought. I gave him my license, registration and insurance. He came back a few minutes later and asked me a few questions. The usual, where ya going, what ya doing, blah, blah, blah. He handed my stuff back, told me the local speed limits and told me to watch it. I guess my point here is that we were both in a mood and after we both had a very brief chat, we both deescalated the issue. We both gave one another respect and I appreciated his professionalism.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 02:05 AM

Synopsis, stay out of Ohio. Our State sucks, don't get me wrong, but we don't need your like here.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Synopsis, stay out of Ohio. Our State sucks, don't get me wrong, but we don't need your like here.
Well, I hate to tell you but we had a vote and you're not even allowed over here!
grin
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 02:13 AM

So,,,you were still going the speed limit of the last speed limit sign.New speed limit with no new sign or warning of a speed change?Should have jumped out and punched him in the gut.You wouldn't have had to spend that night in the crappy camp ground.Free room and board. wink

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Finster
Originally Posted by Catch22
Well, I hate to tell you but we had a vote and you're not even allowed over here!
grin

Lol, Keep gone boy.....
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 02:35 AM

He ran your info and was hoping something would come up he could thump you with, when it didn't, he paused and thought about your "deal". He asked, you confirmed and both on your way.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
He ran your info and was hoping something would come up he could thump you with, when it didn't, he paused and thought about your "deal". He asked, you confirmed and both on your way.

Actually, he was fishing for drunks..... just my opinion.
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 02:53 AM

He pulled you over with no cause, trampled all over your constitutional rights, and left you feeling good about the whole thing. You Sir, are no sheepdog.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 02:54 AM

Glad it worked out. Here there needs to be reduce speed limit sign 1/4 mile distance for anything over 10 mph reduction.
My last time pulled over was very pleasant. I'm headed down the road stop at a light officer is one car back next lane over. We get going he gets behind me and lights me up. Before he approaches I grab my paperwork & both DL and CCW as he approaches I could tell he was kinda upset so i tell him hi, before we go further i do have a ccw here is my license, my weapon is holstered on hip, please let me know how to proceed. His attitude quickly changed tells me my registration came back as a silver Dodge not green. I tell when I bought it, it was green. Verified my vin he tells me have a good night and thank you.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by pass-thru
He pulled you over with no cause, trampled all over your constitutional rights, and left you feeling good about the whole thing. You Sir, are no sheepdog.
Hi Daddy issues, I see once again you prove yourself to be a complete and total tool. Keep talking, you amuse me with your idiocy.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 03:07 AM

It has nothing to do with respect. He ran your tags and the reality is you were WORKING. You happened to be employed and he was told not to pick on people of certain employers or he would hear about it.
I was picked up here last year with my finance. I was driving the speed limit, but I got lit up, because my tags were out of state. The most attentive highway patrol was going to rob me no matter what I did as he would have found something. I didn't have on a seat belt as I will not wear them for my own reasons. I got lectured about how people had just got killed not wearing belts (which were Mexican illegals who never get stopped) and I had enough of that so cut him off and asked how to pay the ticket, which really upset him as he was not done acting like he was saving lives when what he was doing was nailing every out of state tag. He was a real gem in after all this, he deliberately delayed filing the ticket so it took another week to pay the thing online.

A cop stops you, they are stopping you because that is how they pay for things. If you get let off, it is because they have been told to not ticket you. Our local police never ticket people in our town, but have speed traps they nail every person not in the county. If you were not working where you were, he would have found something to ticket you for, and probably had you outside your vehicle for a half hour "walking a line" to see if you were intoxicated.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 03:17 AM

Hi Daddy issues, I see once again you prove yourself to be a complete and total tool. Keep talking, you amuse me with your idiocy.

Awe, you got your feelings hurt.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 03:45 AM

Glad you did not get ticketed. Where I am going/been and what I am doing is no cops business during a traffic infraction stop. "With all due respect I am not answering any questions that are not related to why you pulled me over". Period.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 04:03 AM

He was pulled over for speeding. That's cause
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by star flakes
It has nothing to do with respect. He ran your tags and the reality is you were WORKING. You happened to be employed and he was told not to pick on people of certain employers or he would hear about it.
I was picked up here last year with my finance. I was driving the speed limit, but I got lit up, because my tags were out of state. The most attentive highway patrol was going to rob me no matter what I did as he would have found something. I didn't have on a seat belt as I will not wear them for my own reasons. I got lectured about how people had just got killed not wearing belts (which were Mexican illegals who never get stopped) and I had enough of that so cut him off and asked how to pay the ticket, which really upset him as he was not done acting like he was saving lives when what he was doing was nailing every out of state tag. He was a real gem in after all this, he deliberately delayed filing the ticket so it took another week to pay the thing online.

A cop stops you, they are stopping you because that is how they pay for things. If you get let off, it is because they have been told to not ticket you. Our local police never ticket people in our town, but have speed traps they nail every person not in the county. If you were not working where you were, he would have found something to ticket you for, and probably had you outside your vehicle for a half hour "walking a line" to see if you were intoxicated.

Got any proof to back up your first paragraph?
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by adam m

He was pulled over for speeding. That's cause

But there was no signage so there was no cause just the officer saying he was speeding.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 09:16 AM

I spend a lot of time around our local law enforcement. Most of them work security for the hospital I work at through the night. The local police officer that has the most DUI's to his name out of all of the other officers combined in the city explained to me that he doesn't even try to pull over people for DUI, and actually he resents it because it's a lot more paperwork than he'd normally have to deal with. He said he just pulls people over when they have obvious issues with their vehicle head light out, brights on in town, not using turn signals etc. He said the smell of alcohol permeates quite easily and there's been a number of time's he'd never even known the driver was drunk without his nose. I live in a pretty good place. Don't have to worry much about law enforcement out to get me. Most of the ones I have been involved with are just average guys/gals providing for their families and I can respect them for that.
Posted By: Cooncreek II

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by WadeRyan
I spend a lot of time around our local law enforcement. Most of them work security for the hospital I work at through the night. The local police officer that has the most DUI's to his name out of all of the other officers combined in the city explained to me that he doesn't even try to pull over people for DUI, and actually he resents it because it's a lot more paperwork than he'd normally have to deal with. He said he just pulls people over when they have obvious issues with their vehicle head light out, brights on in town, not using turn signals etc. He said the smell of alcohol permeates quite easily and there's been a number of time's he'd never even known the driver was drunk without his nose. I live in a pretty good place. Don't have to worry much about law enforcement out to get me. Most of the ones I have been involved with are just average guys/gals providing for their families and I can respect them for that.

I've never been stopped for driving careful, only when doing something against the rules shocked
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 10:48 AM

I was pulled over a few months back and was accused of driving 71 in a 55 mph zone. I pretty much told the officer he was lying, because he was, and he didn't seem to care for this much. He didn't write me a ticket. I don't know if it was because he realized he was wrong or he knew some of the folks that I mentioned I knew who worked in the courthouse. smile
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 11:14 AM

I get pulled over and I'm just answering whats pertinent to the supposed infraction, not in any snotty or arrogant way, even if I've had a bad day.
Learned many, many years ago way before everyone had a chip on their shoulders about being against LEO's just for seeing them, LOL that it never pays in the long run to make things worse with an attitude.

I don't get why people think every LEO is a bad one now day's, they are not and just doing a thankless job for the most part, giving one smart remarks or showing an attitude towards them when pulled over just puts them on alert for other things to watch out for.

Guess people just are not as smart as they let on to be !
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 12:01 PM

I have a class A CDL and have been driving for almost 50 years. I have driven through 40+ states and have never been pulled over for anything. I feel left out.

WS
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by J Staton
he knew some of the folks that I mentioned I knew who worked in the courthouse. smile

That shouldn't matter, just like all the folks who ride around with their thin blue line stickers and claim they have cousins, uncles, brothers etc on the job. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, you either give them a verbal, written or money cite. Not a big deal and not worth the bs that comes with ticket fixing.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 01:20 PM

If he wrote a ticket he's a Nazi if he did not write a ticket he's a lazy Nazi~ LOL I often stay away from these threads but they do make me laugh.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
If he wrote a ticket he's a Nazi if he did not write a ticket he's a lazy Nazi~ LOL I often stay away from these threads but they do make me laugh.

Law Dog, you know you can't win'em all, lol, try to send the motorist off with a smile when possible.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by TDHP

Law Dog, you know you can't win'em all, lol, try to send the motorist off with a smile when possible.

Yep its like lumping all prosecutors in with the one in Chicago like that's just the way it is!
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 02:25 PM

I often stay away from these threads but they do make me laugh.

especially since tickets are self-inflicted....as are most problems we have.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Marty
Glad you did not get ticketed. Where I am going/been and what I am doing is no cops business during a traffic infraction stop. "With all due respect I am not answering any questions that are not related to why you pulled me over". Period.

Awesome. I'm sure it'll go well for ya.

Those questions are often asked to see if the person travels this road frequently and knows about the speed changes or current speed limits, signage, or whatever. They often times ARE pertinent to the offense.

A lot of "locals" claim dumb when they travel the same road daily. "Oh my.... I had NOOOO Idea that stop sign was there". Yeah....Oh kaaaay….You live/work a block away and have for the last 20 yrs.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Calvin

Awesome. I'm sure it'll go well for ya.

Those questions are often asked to see if the person travels this road frequently and knows about the speed changes or current speed limits, signage, or whatever. They often times ARE pertinent to the offense.

A lot of "locals" claim dumb when they travel the same road daily. "Oh my.... I had NOOOO Idea that stop sign was there". Yeah....Oh kaaaay….You live/work a block away and have for the last 20 yrs.

Asking a bunch of non related ?'s is a way to see if someone seems nervous and gives 'good' answers. Cops make more arrests from traffic stops than anything else.....arrests that are not related to the reason they stopped you....they are taking the opportunity of having 'contact' with you to illegally probe you. Go ahead and cooperate with that if you want too. I find it intrusive and tell them so.

It is what they are trained too do.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 04:57 PM

So y'all guys believe cops always tell the truth? The officer said I was traveling 71 and I wasn't. No lie. My guess is he was trying to fill the coffers of the county,like a good tax collector , but realized I would fight it to the end. Just because you wear a badge don't give you the right to falsely accuse an individual. BTW, I have several family members who are officers so I support the police....just not the crooked ones.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 05:05 PM

Illegally probe you for what? If your not drunk, hauling drugs, weenie wagging little kids and the Officer has no probable cause except for what he stopped you for what the worse that could happen if you answer the simple questions. You can't expect one thing and not be willing to do your part to have that protection it's a thin line I know but when your honest and give the facts so what.

It's when the guy and his passenger that say they are going to 2 different places in the same car it gets a little fishy! LOL

If you have a better way to deal with crooks, liars and dopers I'd be willing to hear it.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 05:15 PM

Illegally probe you for what? If your not drunk, hauling drugs, weenie wagging little kids and the Officer has no probable cause except for what he stopped you for what the worse that could happen if you answer the simple questions. You can't expect one thing and not be willing to do your part to have that protection it's a thin line I know but when your honest and give the facts so what.

It's when the guy and his passenger that say they are going to 2 different places in the same car it gets a little fishy! LOL

Those are good points but the same could be said if they want to just come by and search your house.....if your honest why not allow it?

My itinerary for the day has no relation whatsoever to a traffic stop. If I do not have a seat belt on why do you need to know where I am going to or coming from, what I do for a living or any other personal info? The only reason those ?'s are asked is profiling. I resent being profiled as a criminal especially after I produce a ccl that shows I have passed multiple background checks. Once you answer one ? they keep asking more ?'s.

Just say no!

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 05:21 PM

If you have a better way to deal with crooks, liars and dopers I'd be willing to hear it.

So, you admit that you use a routine traffic stop to profile the occupants of a vehicle. That's interesting.

I understand the reasons it is done since I trained K-9 officers and graduated a few courses in how to do that...... but I also resent it being done to me..... is that hard to understand? There are some bad cops so how would you like to be pulled over while in your patrol car and asked a bunch of intrusive ?'s by me? After all it is for the greater good so cooperate or your guilty of something.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 05:26 PM

Never said that, I said you need probable cause to make a stop so a guy weaving all over is a traffic complaint until it turns into a DUI it's really pretty simple. If its a little old lady that can't see over the wheel then it's till a traffic issue. You don't pull over a DUI and write a traffic "ticket" then it's not how the progression works.

So if I ignored every car weaving down the road and never stopped them how safe would you be then?

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 05:30 PM

Those are good points but the same could be said if they want to just come by and search your house.....if your honest why not allow it?

My itinerary for the day has no relation whatsoever to a traffic stop. If I do not have a seat belt on why do you need to know where I am going to or coming from, what I do for a living or any other personal info? The only reason those ?'s are asked is profiling. I resent being profiled as a criminal especially after I produce a ccl that shows I have passed multiple background checks. Once you answer one ? they keep asking more ?'s.

Just say no!

Without a search warrant the search would be invalid anyways so why do it then? We have to operate with all of the rules on us but somehow the criminals don't follow the rules but get to use the perks of honest people to try to keep on to making more victims. Got a better way but then people say it's none of their business when it comes to doing their part but still want it all taken care of somehow.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 05:36 PM

Without a search warrant the search would be invalid anyways so why do it then? We have to operate with all of the rules on us but somehow the criminals don't follow the rules but get to use the perks of honest people to try to keep on to making more victims. Got a better way but then people say it's none of their business when it comes to doing their part but still want it all taken care of somehow.

A person has no obligation to answer intrusive ?'s during a traffic stop which is similar to having no obligation to allow a search of your home without a warrant. If you allow a search of your home without a warrant anything found would indeed be a valid find..in no way would it be invalid since you gave permission. By answering these intrusive ?'s you are giving info the cop has no actual right to know.....it is very similar to allowing a search without a warrant.
Posted By: Badgerman50

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 06:10 PM

I got nailed on the way home on Monday. 50 in a 35 which nobody really obeys since it’s over a bridge with no pedestrian traffic or kids around. Just I-84 and corn fields. Cost me $90. Ouch. Cop was a nice enough guy. He said he clocked me at 55 but reducing the speed to 50 lessened the fine. I don’t know how true that is. Probably shouldn’t speed.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 06:30 PM

Oh I love the armchair legal experts on here. About zero are correct in anything they post but they believe it to be true.

And this silly notion that the PO PO always need a warrant to enter a house is another internet fallacy. There are many exceptions to this rule (per the courts and caselaw). Its about never hard to get into a house LEGALLY without a warrant if one wants/needs to. Sorry to bring reality into the thread. I know, right?

I gave an example as to why the original poster was asked those Illegal and intrusive questions. (well they were legal, actually...who knew?). Even I simple traffic stop is still covered under an investigation most times. And what's an key component of an investigation?...……. Questions. It clearly pertained and I gave the reason why.

OK...good luck with your law class here fellas. Gotta get off this idiot box.

We all survived winter...Yay. Have a good one!
Posted By: Hoosier71

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Whopper Stopper
I have a class A CDL and have been driving for almost 50 years. I have driven through 40+ states and have never been pulled over for anything. I feel left out.

WS

X2
I am 48 and been pulled over once for speeding which I deserved. Every time I see an LEO or CO I think "what a thankless job" and am glad they are out and about. An off duty officer was the first on the scene a couple of months back when my dad needed medical help.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Calvin
Oh I love the armchair legal experts on here. About zero are correct in anything they post but they believe it to be true.

And this silly notion that the PO PO always need a warrant to enter a house is another internet fallacy. There are many exceptions to this rule (per the courts and caselaw). Its about never hard to get into a house LEGALLY without a warrant if one wants/needs to. Sorry to bring reality into the thread. I know, right?

I gave an example as to why the original poster was asked those Illegal and intrusive questions. (well they were legal, actually...who knew?). Even I simple traffic stop is still covered under an investigation most times. And what's an key component of an investigation?...……. Questions. It clearly pertained and I gave the reason why.

OK...good luck with your law class here fellas. Gotta get off this idiot box.

We all survived winter...Yay. Have a good one!

Legally a cop can ask you anything but the reality is that your not obligated to answer. I never said it was illegal to ask someone ?'s.
Posted By: Hupurest

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 07:30 PM

Follow the idiotic advice some share here and you pizz off the person who has the discretion to give you a ticket, reduce it or let you go...

marty reminds me of a quote, " If you take advice from a nobody, you'll end up a nobody like them."

I sure don't act like an indignant fool when i get pulled over like most here suggest should be the SOP... rather, i have usually known why i was getting pulled over, and answering the questions and being polite and somewhat remorseful has worked in my favor.

Montana has the best police ever..

I passed a cop going 85mph, and he WAVED hello!!!!!
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 07:43 PM

[quote=GritGuy]I get pulled over and I'm just answering whats pertinent to the supposed infraction, not in any snotty or arrogant way, even if I've had a bad day.
Learned many, many years ago way before everyone had a chip on their shoulders about being against LEO's just for seeing them, LOL that it never pays in the long run to make things worse with an attitude.

I don't get why people think every LEO is a bad one now day's, they are not and just doing a thankless job for the most part, giving one smart remarks or showing an attitude towards them when pulled over just puts them on alert for other things to watch out for.

Guess people just are not as smart as they let on to be ![/quote

YEP!
It's like some folks see LEOs as just one more part of government to hate and it keeps a big chip on their shoulders.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 07:45 PM

Not sure how we can do the job while doing nothing at all, without the publics help but we do, you hear more gang mentality quotes then integrity quotes with people today, no investment in their own community but things need to be 100% crime free! LOL

The next time your driving down the road and a car is in front of you see if you can tell their age, race and current abilities of that person before you see "profile" them! Now if they are crossing the line/lines repeatedly is that profiling or probable cause then?
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 08:09 PM

I guess it must just be me but I'm always a little nervous when they show up behind me seems to me my truck knows it too as it starts to wander on its own lol. Only had one bad stop in the last 20 years and the officers must have been looking for something in the area, July middle of the day and pulled over for a headlight out. The way they approached raised flags for me so something was up before they ever got to my car. Responded with short but complete answers till they asked about my son and tried to ID him. Then asked that they complete the headlight stop so we could get on our way. Once my name came back clean attitudes changed 180 and just said they wanted to let me know headlight was out so I could fix it. Heck everybody has a bad day or something else going on once in a while.

My last stop was from officers that worked for my best friend and I was texting him about the stop as the officers ran the plate ( wife hadn't put the new reg sticker on the plate ). I was giving my friend crap about having folks pulled over to sell raffle tickets and searching for doughnuts Lol. The officers were super professional and even put the sticker on the plate when she found it in the glove box, they had no idea I was friends with the boss until I told them to say Hi as we finished the stop and to let him know I bought raffle tickets from them. They had a good laugh and the next morning when they all meet up for a meeting they told him about the raffle ticket comment and he said that I had been texting him the whole stop and how nice it was to just have officers that were friendly and professional without acting like I was the next crime spree in waiting.

Cops see the bad so much its hard for "SOME" to separate that and remember most folks try to do the right thing and just make simple mistakes.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 08:17 PM

Law Dog, I guess you need to let them police themselves, seems to be the only logical answer. I don't know any real "experts" on the job, but from reading the expert opinions on here regarding police matters, po po got it all wrong. There is a better way but the people who can fix it rather sit on an internet forum instead of getting out there and doing the job.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cmobley
I got pulled over once for following to close to another another vehicle. Thing was we were in opposite lanes. I was in the left lane other truck was in the right lane. Cop has his snazzy fingerless beater gloves on asked me why I was following that truck so closely. I said I wasnt I was in a different lane. He then says to me boy are you gonna argue with me and get a ticket or just keep your mouth shut. In which i replied I'm gonna argue with you and get a ticket, then im gonna see you in court and bring my video evidence I was in a different lane. He throws my license in the window says keep it up son you can leave this time . Thing is i didnt have a recording device going but he didnt know that. He was just trying to be a bully. This happend some years ago when I was younger. I still see him from time to time at the local stores. I make it a point to stare him into the ground hes no longer a cop and I'm no longer 19. Some people are just pricks I know I am especially when I'm messed with.

I know your kind, I seen 'em on TV.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 08:39 PM

Law Dog, I guess you need to let them police themselves, seems to be the only logical answer. I don't know any real "experts" on the job, but from reading the expert opinions on here regarding police matters, po po got it all wrong. There is a better way but the people who can fix it rather sit on an internet forum instead of getting out there and doing the job.

Nothing like stopping a guy to let him know his taillight is out then getting attitude right out of the gate to make a guy day! LOL Just don't take it personal and carry on is all you can do a lot of good times mixed in with the bad times.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 09:07 PM

Nothing like stopping a guy to let him know his taillight is out then getting attitude right out of the gate to make a guy day! LOL Just don't take it personal and carry on is all you can do a lot of good times mixed in with the bad times.

If all you have to say is I have a tail light out I will say thanks you and have a safe day officer. If your using a tail light out as an excuse to pry into my affairs you will get my standard answer. If all you say is I have a light out and your going to write me up for it I will say have a safe day at the end of our interaction. I will stick with the fact that my daily itinerary and personal affairs are none of any cops business during a traffic stop. Ya'll took an oath to uphold the constitution and bill of rights.....how is where I am going any of your business?
Posted By: cablejohn

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 09:14 PM

I live in Western Pennsylvania, a couple miles from Ohio. I will do anything necessary not to drive in Ohio. Every little town is a speed trap! They drop the speed any where they can!

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 09:20 PM

If this was aimed my post the point I was trying to make was something else had to have been happening in the area based on the actions when they approached the car. Not that I was upset that I was stopped but that they were on HIGH alert and it was noticeable from the start UNTIL my name came back clean. My point was something was different from all my other stops in the past. I've never had a passenger ID'ed before and certainly not my 16 year old son. I wouldn't want the job and I see how some of my friends that are LEO react and change based on what they experience at times.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 10:14 PM

Star Flakes Your post was amusing .

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 10:25 PM

nvwranger no not aimed at anybody really just letting folks know that we have a job to do and it's not easy at times, it's a tough work environment trying to sort out the truth from the BS most days it's rare that the truth is spoken. Just the focus in on the 1% and that guy are they out there heck ya I know a few but they get weeded out over time.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 10:34 PM

Sing it to the tune of a grandfather clock chime ...

Wrong , wrong , wrong, wrong

Wrong, wrong , wrong , wrong

You're wrong
You're wrong

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 10:38 PM

Not at all nvwrangler, I don't get all crazed over internet comments, come here for the popcorn and drinks.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 10:40 PM

nvwranger no not aimed at anybody really just letting folks know that we have a job to do and it's not easy at times, it's a tough work environment trying to sort out the truth from the BS most days it's rare that the truth is spoken. Just the focus in on the 1% and that guy are they out there heck ya I know a few but they get weeded out over time.

Thanks Law for the response I was worried my post came across wrong, lost a few friends that just couldn't separate from the "job" and that's too bad. Be safe but always know I'll throw a good cop joke your way for the laughs

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhar6gN4BFw

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 10:43 PM

No worries I never take it personal if I did I'd be that guy yelling at kids on my lawn all day and I live in the country! LOL All is well.
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 10:44 PM

LOL. Great post... Yes, our Cops in Ohio are dicks. but that is because they get shot at every other day. I'm getting tired of attending funerals.
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 10:45 PM

Wasn't meant for you Law.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 10:48 PM

sorry I was looking for my post and realized its on a different thread are they all the same on here??

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron Proffitt

Sing it to the tune of a grandfather clock chime ...

Wrong , wrong , wrong, wrong

Wrong, wrong , wrong , wrong

You're wrong
You're wrong

Wrong about what? It's Fintard's version of the facts that he was stopped without cause, not mine. Or are you claiming that despite his cuckish demeanor in this episode, he really is a sheepdog? Go chime up a different clock.

Posted By: larrywaugh

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 11:07 PM

I have never had an encounter with a police officer where I wasn't treated courtously and with respect. Game wardens are a whole different ballgame.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 11:32 PM

Wrong about what? It's Fintard's version of the facts that he was stopped without cause, not mine. Or are you claiming that despite his cuckish demeanor in this episode, he really is a sheepdog? Go chime up a different clock.

Awwweeeee….. What's the matter, did your daddy forget to send you 10 bucks for your birthday again? Well, that's to bad. If you had a friend you could probably call and whine about it.... to bad for you...….. twice. wink

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 11:42 PM

Awwweeeee….. What's the matter, did your daddy forget to send you 10 bucks for your birthday again? Well, that's to bad. If you had a friend you could probably call and whine about it.... to bad for you...….. twice. wink

Just wait until the poison PMs start coming your way they are a hoot for a guy that want's you to believe he's all that and a bag of chips it's pretty average all around. LOL

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 11:45 PM

Just wait until the poison PMs start coming your way they are a hoot for a guy that want's you to believe he's all that and a bag of chips it's pretty average all around. LOL

Hello friend. I only give you a courtesy response when you trouble yourself to send a PM. I don't initiate. Try to keep it at a 2nd grade level, even then your dictionary gets a work out.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 11:46 PM

Not sure which suits you better....Fintard or Cuckster.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 11:49 PM

Hello friend. I only give you a courtesy response when you trouble yourself to send a PM. I don't initiate. Try to keep it at a 2nd grade level, even then your dictionary gets a work out.

A LIAR TOO! LOL

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 11:50 PM

Well, I consider you a friend, even if you don't feel the same.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 11:51 PM

LOL whatever suits you Daddy Issues. Everyone knows who and what you are so knock yourself out, all you are doing is proving it. I can only hope that when I grow up, I can be as big a tough guy as you are. crazy

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 11:53 PM

Well, I consider you a friend, even if you don't feel the same.

Never been that desperate never will I can't stand condescending people never could!

Re: Pulled over! - 04/05/19 11:54 PM

LOL whatever suits you Daddy Issues. Everyone knows who and what you are so knock yourself out, all you are doing is proving it. I can only hope that when I grow up, I can be as big a tough guy as you are. crazy

I'll go with both.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/06/19 12:45 AM

Can we tell trapping season is over~ LOL

Re: Pulled over! - 04/06/19 02:38 AM

Ya'll remember that if your traffic stopped for some traffic or defective equipment violation to answer all the intrusive questions the cops ask you like good sheep.....or you might get a ticket. Maybe if your lucky you will get to agree to a vehicle search.

laugh

A big problem today is the nation is full of sheep, do not dare stand up for your right to privacy or you will be heavily fined. Personally I will take the fine and tell em to go pound sand.....I been stopped 5-6 times the last few years, never answered any improper questions and never got a ticket, go figure....maybe it was the logical, respectful way I expressed my feelings.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/06/19 03:01 AM

Ya'll remember that if your traffic stopped for some traffic or defective equipment violation to answer all the intrusive questions the cops ask you like good sheep.....or you might get a ticket. Maybe if your lucky you will get to agree to a vehicle search.

laugh

A big problem today is the nation is full of sheep, do not dare stand up for your right to privacy or you will be heavily fined. Personally I will take the fine and tell em to go pound sand.....I been stopped 5-6 times the last few years, never answered any improper questions and never got a ticket, go figure....maybe it was the logical, respectful way I expressed my feelings.

I'm not judging. Good for you. There are many a circumstance where I would make the same stand. DUI checkpoints are certainly one. Every situation is a little different and should be handled due to the circumstances. Cheers to you for standing up for what you believe. Though I will not be walked on, I take a slightly more cautious approach. After all, my livelihood also depends on my judgement.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/06/19 03:01 AM

Nothing wrong with that Marty but most folks don't take the time to learn what they should do and when to draw the line.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/06/19 03:07 AM

I have no problem with someone doing their job but I resent being profiled as a criminal and will not cooperate with that at all. Especially after presenting my ccl first thing, which I am not obligated by law to do.

I would never hesitate to help a cop that needed help no matter the circumstances, that's a fact.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/06/19 03:25 AM

I have no problem with someone doing their job but I resent being profiled as a criminal and will not cooperate with that at all. Especially after presenting my ccl first thing, which I am not obligated by law to do.

I would never hesitate to help a cop that needed help no matter the circumstances, that's a fact.

Just curious…. Being profiled? Usually that's a minority. Makes no difference to me but are you a minority? OMG!!!!! You're not CANADIAN are you?!?! shocked In that case, I think profiling would be in order! grin

Re: Pulled over! - 04/06/19 03:39 AM

I am a minority. Not a sheep.

smile
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Pulled over! - 04/06/19 08:05 AM

I've been pulled over many times. Most went pretty good. Over and done in a few minutes.

The only one that went bad was one when I as on my motorcycle. Reason for being pulled over??? I had a patch on my leather for a state motorcycle rights organization. No top or bottom rocker. Just a patch. He did everything he could to find something on me or my bike that he could write me for. I sat on the guardrail and just observed.

Come to find out from a friend of my wife's brother (who was a state trooper) that this guy had a real thing for pulling bikes over. He was used once to help a bike run get out of town safely and together. He then proceeded to write everyone a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign. We all went to court on the same day, and our tickets were thrown out. It was shortly after that that he was a cop in a different town about 130 miles away. Best part of that..... He's right smack dab in the middle of an outlaw mc area.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Pulled over! - 04/06/19 01:17 PM

If all you have to say is I have a tail light out I will say thanks you and have a safe day officer. If your using a tail light out as an excuse to pry into my affairs you will get my standard answer. If all you say is I have a light out and your going to write me up for it I will say have a safe day at the end of our interaction. I will stick with the fact that my daily itinerary and personal affairs are none of any cops business during a traffic stop. Ya'll took an oath to uphold the constitution and bill of rights.....how is where I am going any of your business?

I've never put a great deal of thought into the issue because I don't have a lot of encounters with the law but I've got to say, I think you're correct in your reasoning. I noticed a couple of good points made from the opposing point of view and they have some legitimacy, but I believe, generally speaking, you're right about the intrusive questioning.

The last time I was stopped was just about a year ago. I failed to signal and Officer Friendly pulled me over. I rolled my window down, put my hands at ten and two and immediately informed him (obligated by law to do so) I had a loaded handgun in my seat slipcover between my legs. "What do you want me to do?" He lit up like a Christmas tree and was as friendly as could be from that point forward. He had no concern whatsoever about the gun. He pointed out I had an expired vehicle inspection sticker and he did quiz me about where I came from and where I was going. I'm sure he had already run my plate and knew I was from out of town. It was early in the morning and I was about three hours away from home heading to a work related training seminar. We exchanged a few pleasantries and he sent me on my way without issuing me a summons.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Pulled over! - 04/06/19 01:42 PM

I get stopped 2-3 times a year in my semi. Here in KS you only have to state your armed if asked. I don't think I'm making the cops nervous as I have never been asked. In all my years of driving only once did I have a cop stop me and try to claim I had done something I hadn't. That was an Indiana state trooper. He was a jerk, I've told the story before, and I hope someday he gets fired, loses his pension, and works minimum wage the rest of his life.

I'm like Marty in the sense I won't play 20 questions either. I don't mind telling a bear where I've been, what I'm hauling and where I'm going. You have to anyway because of hours of service rules if the cop is D.O.T. certified to check that stuff. I just answer whether the cop has the shoulder patch or not. If it gets any more in depth than that I answer I have work to do can we just do what we need to in order to get this stop over with?

I got a ticket in the 80's thanks to another driver. Was in west TX on I10. Both of us headed west and stopped at a little place on the south side of the interstate. Turned left off the overpass to get back on the highway when I saw the lights as I got on the ramp. The other truck was in front of me. I pulled over and the cop passed me pointing and telling me on the CB to stay there as he stopped the guy in front of me. That guy jumped out and started yelling something about he had just got checked that morning and something about harassment blah blah blah. Come to find out what we thought was a left turn lane was a painted divider with the paint faded somewhat. I believe a warning was why we were stopped but instead we both got taken back to the truckstop where a mailbox was and the cop watched up put cash in an envelope and mail it to the county magistrate.

Mailing in a bond was very common back then as reciprocity was pretty patchwork. You could show up for court if you wanted to contest the ticket or your bond would be forfeited for the fine.

So because he blew up instead of giving the cop a chance to be polite (which ALMOST always they are) I had to pay a fine too.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/06/19 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cmobley
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

I know your kind, I seen 'em on TV.

Yeah we're the ones that mind our business.

Minding your own business is still giving the guy the stink eye years later? You sound like a baggage carrier to me.

Re: Pulled over! - 04/06/19 09:12 PM

Officers who are out there doing the right thing are just doing their jobs, you see a vehicle in violation you stop it and conduct a mv stop and go from there. Stops already change traffic patters and add confusion on the roadway, no need to sit roadside and play 50 questions unless there is pc or rs and there are elements that support it for secondary violations etc, that need to be further investigated. Can't allow your emotions to run the stop or call for service.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums