Home

MOREL TIME!!

Posted By: RM trapper

MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 11:17 AM

It's finally getting right to start finding some morels here, I've found them as early as March 17th here before but this year it's been to cold up until now, we've had a couple days with highs in the 60s and night temps in the 40s, and we are getting rain 2 out of next 3 days so I'll be getting out looking and I'll post some pics. Anyone found any yet?
Posted By: pcr2

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 11:22 AM

everything is coated with freezing rain here this morning but gotta say i've had a hard time not looking for them when i'm out and about now that i know they may be here.
Posted By: 080808

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 11:25 AM

Mother’s Day up here.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 11:59 AM

I'm going out Sunday morning and I'll let you guys know what I find, hopefully I can at least get enough for a meal
Posted By: Trapper Dan2

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 12:19 PM

A little early here.About three weeks and we should be finding a few grays.

Dan
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 12:23 PM

[Linked Image]
Just starting
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 12:56 PM

im gonna try this weekend - weather is about that same here as in TN it seems
Posted By: Cletis Richards

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 01:17 PM

Their finding some in nw ark and Okla the last few days.....won't be long here
Posted By: Matt28

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 01:59 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hogwild

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 02:56 PM

Got a friend in Kentucky that has found some this week.
Posted By: tjm

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cletis Richards
Their finding some in nw ark and Okla the last few days.....won't be long here

Happy birthday Clete!
They found some by Nixa and by Gravois a couple days ago get out and look.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 03:22 PM

so i should be able to follow this thread as the work their way popping out south to north??

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 03:23 PM

I figured you would chime in soon Matt, I remember you were a week or so before me last year

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 03:30 PM

https://www.morels.com/threads/morels-2019-chit-chat.710536/page-9#post-742768
This site may help you pcr. It has alit of people who love to hunt morels.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by RM trapper
I figured you would chime in soon Matt, I remember you were a week or so before me last year

It's been slow for me so far but others are doing real well. In the center and south part if our state they are finding them by the hundreds.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 03:43 PM

Willy
My phone number is 1-231-233-3791 I can get text messages. My email is hortonpentwater@hotmail.com
I text the owner every time I catch a mole. That way they know how I am doing and that I have been at there home that day.
Ev.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 03:55 PM

thanks for the pics the Glaciers have not receded in north Mi. yet but maybe in another month morels be popping up here
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 03:55 PM

Here are some from the last couple years to get you fired up! Hope it is a good year again. The one pic is a full size kitchen sink and a large cast iron skillet. These things were huge! Good luck to everyone, hope you find lots!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 04:17 PM

I would think so PCR2, probably be a week or so behind us
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 09:27 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Everyone is finding them in my part of the state except me it seems like. This one little Grey is the only one I have found. The big messes are a couple of friends of mine that have been out this week.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/05/19 09:31 PM

It's not like you to not be showing off a big haul of shroom this time of year Matt. Are they not showing in your area yet?

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/06/19 12:37 AM

Well I couldn't help bit go look this evening in some of my better spots but struck out. We had rain today and temps are supposed to stay in the 60-70s daytime temps all next week so it should get good

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/06/19 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Davisfur
It's not like you to not be showing off a big haul of shroom this time of year Matt. Are they not showing in your area yet?

It's slow here in this county okfuskee. I dont know what's up we have found maybe 150 all togather so far between me and a buddy. What county did your friend get the sink full? I have seen good number come out of love,carter,oklahoma and Stephens counties. I have heard that one guy has found over 600 in Hughes but no pics.
We did find 30 this evening and I will check another spot tomorrow when the rain stops. [Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/06/19 02:42 AM

Well I couldn't help bit go look this evening in some of my better spots but struck out. We had rain today and temps are supposed to stay in the 60-70s daytime temps all next week so it should get good

What's the 3 day 4in average soil temp. There RM?

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/06/19 06:12 AM

That sink full and all the others I pictured were from Blaine County. My mother went out this afternoon and found 60 some. Had the first mess of the year for supper! laugh
Posted By: lestan101

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/06/19 09:50 PM

RM Trapper, I found one today. I just checked a few hot spots real quick. It was still a little dry around Bean Station. Good Luck.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/06/19 11:08 PM

Our ground is plenty wet enough but I think the soil temps are just now getting warm enough, last week we were in the 30s most nights but it's been lows in the 40s and highs in the 70s the past few days, so should start popping. I'm at 4,000 ft elevation

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/06/19 11:16 PM

Says it's 57 soil temp today Matt, but the 3day average was 47

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/07/19 02:22 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Found 18 big ones this evening.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/07/19 02:25 AM

Says it's 57 soil temp today Matt, but the 3day average was 47

I start getting good finds when we get over a 50 three day average here. For a week.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/07/19 01:29 PM

It should be good in a few more days, it's supposed to be highs in 60s and lows in 40s for the next week and 3 days of rain out of 7. Me and my 7yr old son have walked almost 2 miles this morning and have nothing to show for it but some good exercise. Lol

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/07/19 04:53 PM

Dad found 14 black 9nes today on the side of the road so it's starting here

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/07/19 09:56 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Found 134 to day and found that giant sycamore tree.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/07/19 10:16 PM

Nice Matt, my dad found those few blacks today, and my uncle found 40 blacks today driving out a little backroad, so the greys and yellows are probably a week away

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/08/19 02:16 AM

I guess I am going to have to go check some diffent spots, I had to work pretty hard for these and a lot of people are having a fabulous year.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/08/19 09:43 PM

I got rained out at work around 2 so I went and found around 45 blacks today, finally got a mess to eat

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/08/19 10:46 PM

Good job RM. Hope you have a great season. Do you find the blacks in the same spot every year?

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/08/19 11:01 PM

Yea Matt I went to a spot were we generally find the first black ones every year, the yellows are usually a week or two behind them. I have several spots that produce blacks every year but only one of those spots produce both really well

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/08/19 11:04 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/08/19 11:06 PM

None up here yet

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/08/19 11:21 PM

These blacks are very hard to spot in the leafs, they blend in very well

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/09/19 02:53 AM

Them are some great pics RM. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Found 46 this evening and left some smaller greys to grow

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/09/19 03:34 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I know I missed several, the leafs were deep and they blended in so well, ready for the yellows cause they are a lot easier to spot

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/09/19 03:51 AM

Dang them would be real hard to see. Got to have a good eye for them. others in my state are having a fantastic year this guy has made some good finds of 2 to 3 hundred a few times this year but this is a heck of a haul. [Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/09/19 11:17 AM

That's crazy Matt. I ran into something like that in the woods I'd probably look like a rat on acid. Lol

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/09/19 05:32 PM

Went for just a few minutes before work this morning and found a few yellows and greys, it's about 20 miles from my house and an average temp of 10 degrees higher so they are usually up earlier there [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/09/19 06:44 PM

Real nice guys! Keep the pics coming I like to see how others do.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/09/19 07:13 PM

What part of Virginia you in captgus? I'm about 30 mins from Bristol

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/09/19 08:32 PM

Yea have a buddy that lives in Wise county, been thru there many times. Looks like you had a good day. I'm in Roan Mountain if you know where that is

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/10/19 02:17 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Found 106 this evening some were to far past.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/10/19 02:24 AM

Do you sell some Matt, or do you guys eat them all. My wife and kids all love them and so does the rest of the family so I've never sold any, but have gave a lot away to friends and family

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/10/19 03:15 AM

I have never sold any. Even in the few years where I found over 1000. I dehydrate some and give some away. But eat most of them. My family likes to also.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/10/19 11:07 PM

Had a good hunt this morning before work, now I'm fixing to have ribeyes and mushrooms [Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/10/19 11:09 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: strike2x

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/10/19 11:17 PM

Can't wait til they pop here. Was out checking Beaver traps today and figured it will be another 2 weeks before I see any. That is if we don't get the foot of.snow they are saying we could in the next couple of days.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/11/19 12:26 AM

Man that looks good RM. I didn't go to day I am going to try and go tomarrow. It's been windy and hot last few days here, I am sure that dryed a bunch out. How do you think the blacks taste compared to greys? I like the greys a lot better then the yellows.
You every try alagro steak marinade?

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/11/19 01:12 AM

I like the blacks and greys best for sure, seems like the blacks have the richest flavor. I've never tried that marinade before Matt, but I will

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/11/19 01:13 AM

Looking good rm, no morels yet but found a few nice sheds this year.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/11/19 01:50 AM

Do you ever find them this early in PA gutthooked? I ended up with around 20 sheds for the year. I need to get back out in a few spots were I know there's some antlers but it's hard to not mushroom hunt when I get time to get out. Wish i had a spot where I could do both

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/11/19 02:09 AM

Yes the grey and half free are usually around now, but not in quantities. Had a terrible year last year on morels.

I find most of the morels in creek bottoms and sheds on top of hills in clear cuts on the sunny sides.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/12/19 02:09 AM

[Linked Image]
85 this evening.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/12/19 02:43 AM

I didn't get out today, between work and the boys baseball game just didnt have time, but it's supposed to rain the next few days so I'll be out this weekend and should be good. You're killing it Matt, when do they start to die out out there in Oklahoma? I found my last ones first week of may last year

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/12/19 03:02 AM

The last few day have been brutal on them hot and windy but to day it was a bit cooler, still windy but cool. It suppose to rain here this weekend and be cool so new ones may pop up. If new one don't come up the old one will be toast after the rain gets them. They don't do well when dry then rained on. I found some of the tiniest yellows that were starting to get dry not much bigger than a quarter, that was kinda odd. Every one has had a fantastic year and I am about 3 to 400 behind what I usally get. I am at 441 for the season and most people have found that many on one hunt. I don't under stand how most the people I know aren't finding the number like the guys in central part of the state, they are finding unreal numbers there. I hope you have a season like some of the other in my state RM, it would be a great memory for your kids.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/12/19 04:24 AM

Yea I'm taking the wife and all 3 of the kuds out fishing and shroomin Saturday so should be a great day. I've found around 100 in the past 3 days so that's pretty good for the black ones. We should start seeing yellows in the next few days, I've found a few small ones

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/13/19 10:19 PM

We'll I took my son today and we scored big time, found 250+ in an hour and a half. Best I've ever done in such a small area

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/13/19 10:20 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/13/19 10:53 PM

Any WV or PA guys finding any mushrooms yet?

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/13/19 11:20 PM

Way to go RM! Nice looking mushrooms.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/13/19 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dfabs
Any WV or PA guys finding any mushrooms yet?

I seen on a morel site that Morgantown wv and Lancaster pa have had some small ones found.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/13/19 11:27 PM

Just heard of a guy about 10 minutes after I posted that finding a bunch today around Philippi.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/13/19 11:27 PM

I might go look in the morning after work depending on how tired I am.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/13/19 11:32 PM

Where im at in east Tenn we have elevation from 1,000ft to 6300ft , we've started finding some black ones in the higher elevations but have to go down to the low lands to find the yellows

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/14/19 12:53 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/14/19 01:04 AM

Them will be tasty.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/14/19 06:01 PM

Yea Matt, just fried 75 and made two packs of deer cube steaks and some tators. Made a real meal for the family

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/15/19 01:42 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Found 80 to day and a big white shroom.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/15/19 01:45 AM

We have been getting pounded with rain and thunders today, supposed to drop down in the 30s tomorrow night then back up in the 60s by Tuesday evening so should still be several popping this week. How much longer do you think you have Matt

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/15/19 02:39 AM

We got a good amount of rain yesterday so I figure there will be a few more new ones come up. I would 2 more weeks at the longest. Most likely next weekend will be close to over. I been finding 10% dry and past ones now.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/16/19 12:07 AM

I found 35 greys today close to my house which is around 4,000ft elevation, so they are just starting to pop up in the mtns good [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: strike2x

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/16/19 12:24 AM

With 8 inches of snow last night I think it will be a while before I see any. I am thinking 2 weeks to start ..

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/16/19 12:35 AM

Strike we've had 2 weeks of warm weather in the 60s-70s but it was 32 and snowing this morning. Supposed to be back in the 60s by Wed so don't think it hurt the mushrooms at all with the warm ground temps we've had. Hopefully you'll get some soon

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/16/19 12:57 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
29 this evening. Took my daughter for a quick hunt. Found some fresh ones so the rain made some pop up. I been hunting this same piece of ground for years now when I went back and looked in my notes I pick 150 to 250 there every year. I think I will pick it one more time at the end of the week then call that place good. I have 2 more places to pick so I am hoping to do well here at the end.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/16/19 12:59 AM

Them are some pretty morels RM. I took some of the pics I took last year and had magnets made for the ice box.
Looks like you are going to have a great year.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/16/19 01:31 AM

Matt I noticed the creek in the background, do you find most of yours on creek banks and river bottoms? Here in east Tenn we have so much different habitat, have some river bottoms and steep hardwood mountains and everything in between, seems I find them about in every situation but some spots just produce and others don't. I wish I understood these things better. Lol I just pit a lot of miles on my boots and eventually find them

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/16/19 02:12 AM

I took that pic because it was in the creek gravel. I find a lot by the banks but a bunch out away from the creek.
I have one spot that is a line of very old elm by a old barn that i pick 50 to 70 a year. No creek there but 70 yard a way there is a 1/4 mile grown up drainage ditch that I pick up the banks of it. It sure seem that they do like slopes of some sort. Early I find them on the south facing slopes and as the season progresses Ithey work around the slop. Now I'm in the end I am picking on the north east facing slopes.
They are a very fascinating fungus.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/16/19 02:39 AM

Yea we don't have many elms in the mountains here but the 35 I found this evening were all under a huge popular tree that was about half dead. Also find a lot under Apple trees and ash trees and some Sycamore

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/16/19 02:47 AM

Ash does well here if on the creek bank.
Posted By: skippyturtle

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/16/19 07:10 PM

they are popping here in southern ohio

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/16/19 08:23 PM

nice hauls guys.

CaptGus, thats encouraging - I didnt see any in the turkey woods on saturday, but expecting it to get better very soon

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/16/19 08:33 PM

Real nice captgus. What trees do the best there?

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/16/19 09:48 PM

Went for an hour this evening and found some big yellows in an old orchard and some around some Sycamore trees on a small creek [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/16/19 09:50 PM

That's a great haul captgus. Saw where some guy found 100# on clinch mtn and is trying to sell them at $70/lb. Seems really high to me bit I've never sold any

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/18/19 04:19 PM

Been finding some big yellows this week, im up to about 550 total, been having mushrooms every night and still loving it [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/18/19 05:24 PM

Looking good RM. You are going to blow past me, I am at 567 and the season ending fast I will try to look one more time this weekend but don't have extremely high Hopes. What's been one of you best years number wise?
Posted By: countrygun

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/19/19 12:34 AM

Wife has found lil over 6 lbs on the back 40 over the past few weeks. There are still a few out there and a few that are sundried,
Posted By: countrygun

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/19/19 12:38 AM

Watched this video on cooking mushrooms, tried it and must say is the only way I cook them now.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/19/19 01:20 AM

Good video country gun, I guess I do mine about the same. When i put my cut up morels in the pan i just turn up to hight heat and let all the water get out of them. Then I drain and add butter and seasoning. I will definitely try the water with store bought mushrooms.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/19/19 02:17 AM

Matt I'd say I had my best year about 4 year ago, I didn't keep count but they were popping up everywhere that year, other than that this season has probably beeen my best. We should have another week or two of good picking. It was 75 today and rain tomorrow with a chance of snow Saturday then back in the 70s again by Monday. Maybe I can get to 1000 by the end of season. But with work and the kids in baseball it's hard to get time to go. I started taking the salt water that I soak my mushrooms in and any mushrooms that got to soft and pouring them in one spot on my property to see if I could get any to grow, been checking it everyday and today to my delight I saw several small ones popping up there. So I'll continue to do this in hopes that eventually I'll be able to get a mess out of my yard. Here's a pic of the babies [Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/19/19 02:28 AM

Nice RM! Do you have well water?

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/19/19 03:11 AM

Yes. 515 ft deep well. Lol
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/19/19 10:45 AM

rm I did that for years at my old house had them growing all over there guy that bought it don't pick ,and don't want me to frown

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/19/19 12:02 PM

That sucks he don't want you to either trapper Dalgren. May just have to take a midnight stroll through there one night and pick a mess. Lol

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/19/19 12:07 PM

That sucks he don't want you to either trapper Dalgren. May just have to take a midnight stroll through there one night and pick a mess. Lol

That's right lol. I asked about the well because that was a discussion on a morel site about how city water or rural water which ever you call it, doesn't work well to get the morels growing. Some said when the switched to well water they got a hole lot better results. I need to get me a well!

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/19/19 12:47 PM

good to know that dumping water has a possibility to work.
I have a spot I've been doing the same. I also take my mesh back through there and shake it a few times after I find some.

nothing yet, but its only be a couple years

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/19/19 01:31 PM

i'm gonna take a hike sometime today and look around.my fathead pond is 2 miles away and i can almost drive to it but will throw my minnow traps in my packbasket and hike from the house.might find something but if not i will have finally gotten the minnow traps out.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/19/19 01:40 PM

Had a friend say they were up in Ohio, so maybe you'll find some PCR2, that's interesting Matt I used to throw the water and mushrooms off the back porch and noticed that I had mushrooms in my yard one spring so I figured last year I'd pour it in the woods and see what happens, and sure enough it worked. I can mail you a gallon of the well water Matt. Lol

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/19/19 02:07 PM

The place where I built my house had a well on it but I just used city water. I plan on one day drilling a well. But I bet your well water is better then the well water here. I just imagine nice pure clean mountain water when i think of what you got lol.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/19/19 02:41 PM

It is really good cold water, my dad still uses the spring from the mountain behind the house and it's the best I've ever had

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/20/19 02:21 AM

Found some really nice ones today during a pouring down rain storm [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/20/19 02:24 AM

Dang nice! I didn't go to day I will try to go look some tomorrow. Is there much public land up that way RM?

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/20/19 02:50 AM

Probably more public than private. We have 1,000s of acres of Cherokee national forest. Plus it's a small town and I know everyone so endless places to look

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/20/19 05:21 PM

Went this morning and had an incredible hunt, found around 250 morels and some big ones. I'll post some pics
Posted By: brianmall

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/20/19 07:15 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Found today

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/20/19 07:25 PM

Good deal Brian is that the first of the year for you in Indiana?

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/20/19 07:33 PM

I think

Haven't heard otherwise yet.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/20/19 07:33 PM

Lol

Found in front yard. About 20 or so just starting to pop

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/20/19 07:42 PM

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/20/19 07:44 PM

Not sure why it posted my reply twice. Lol [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/20/19 07:55 PM

I'll pm you address if need to get rid of some

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/20/19 08:19 PM

Real nice haul RM. What county you in brain?

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/20/19 11:15 PM

Yea Matt it's turning out to be my best season, I just got out and walked around my property where I never find any and found several around popular trees. They are popping everywhere[Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/21/19 01:34 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/21/19 03:04 AM

Rm nice haul, what did you bread your morels with? I did find a 3 point shed tonite looking for morels.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/21/19 05:25 AM

I dip them in egg-milk mix and roll in flour and salt and pepper and fry in peanut oil. Hard to beat in my opinion

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/22/19 03:03 AM

Took the wife and boys hunting after our Easter dinner and egg hunt and we found 60 under an old dead tulip popular, the wife has better eyes than me and showed me up. Good times [Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/22/19 03:07 AM

Looks like I should hit the 1000 mark, I'm at 920 now and should have at least another week, me and my oldest son are going at daylight in the morning for about an hour then going yo let him go to work with me since he's out of school. He'll be 9 in May so he's getting big enough to drag brush

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/22/19 02:33 PM

finally got a few here in VA
friday before the rain ran me off, got a handful of small ones

saturday, took the oldest out and we got about 2 dozen of the half free variety and a small gray

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/22/19 04:39 PM

That's a dang nice day you had RM. Hunting mushrooms with the family is hard to beat. You are having a great year and looks like you are doing a lot better then most the others I seen posting out of Tennessee on the morel sites. Good job.
Posted By: Sanford Otte

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/22/19 04:52 PM

Not to change the subject but have any of you heard of selling mushroom spores to sew or plant for the next year's crop. Sounds sort of "fishey" to me. There's a add on Facebook that has the advertisement on it. I've hunted rooms for a long time but have never heard of this.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/22/19 05:29 PM

I've heard of people selling spores but it looks like they just throw a morel in a bag of wood chips and send that. I've been pouring out my water that I soak mine in down in a wooded area and also throw any that's to far gone there, and I'm getting a few to grow. But don't know if I buy into the spore business either

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/22/19 05:35 PM

Kids are out of school today so my 8 yr old wanted to go to work with me, so we left at daylight and went shroomin for an hour first and we found 57 big yellows. I'm about to hit 1000. Been a great year. We are gonna bread and freeze some tonight and see how they turn out. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/23/19 02:52 AM

[Linked Image]
Found these this evening on the 5 acres we live on. Some bigger than my fist. 4 pounds total.
Posted By: Page

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/23/19 02:10 PM

Some monsters from central IL!
[Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/24/19 01:23 AM

Good deal guys, I enjoy seeing how everyone across the country is doing. I've had my best year by far, I'm well over 1,000 now and every spot that I generally only find a few has 10× the usual. I found 100s just the last few days, I think it's about over here. Maybe I can get some in the higher elevations on the north side for a couple more weeks but it's getting really warm here

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/24/19 01:52 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The last 2 days find

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/24/19 03:27 AM

How warm is it there now RM? I found a lot of dry 9bes yesterday while crappie fishing and a guy at work said he found over 100 fresh one Saturday. It's been a decently long season here. 62 3 day average 4" ground temp.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/24/19 04:22 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Found 105 this evening in 2 hours.
Posted By: smalltimetrapper

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/24/19 05:42 AM

In Alaska they are only around the year after a forest fire. Do you have them down there year after year in the same area?
Posted By: Oakswamper

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/24/19 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by smalltimetrapper
In Alaska they are only around the year after a forest fire. Do you have them down there year after year in the same area?

Yes, every year in Ohio and usually the same patches

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/24/19 10:45 AM

Dang nice there Davisfur. You find them in the cedars?

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/24/19 11:33 AM

It's in the 70s now everyday this week, but this past Saturday it snowed a little then changed over to rain and stayed in the 40s all weekend. We've had a 5 day average ground temp of 53 so still pretty good

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/24/19 02:12 PM

Yeah Matt most came from under cedars that were choked by creeper vine and some cedars that were hurt from drought. It's been 15 years or better since we have found them on our property. I guess this year everything was right for them. [Linked Image]
I spotted these this morning on my way to work at the end of our driveway. Looks like more picking to do this evening lol.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/24/19 02:41 PM

It was a great year here in oklahoma for most people. I had a better year last year. Guess I should have spent more time looking for new spots instead of checking old ones. My old spots produced but by the way everyone else did I missed some great spots some where. I always think about that spot that had a thousand morels and I never found it.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/25/19 03:08 AM

I found some fresh ones this evening so we may have another few days of good picking. Has anyone ever froze any? [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/25/19 12:25 PM

I haven't had luck freezing them but was told recently that if you put them in water like some do with fish then freeze that they turn out pretty good. I just dehydrate mine and put them in what ever I am cooking. I put them in soup, stew, hamburger helper and rice just about anything I will throw some in. I don't fry them if there not fresh.
Posted By: Michael Morris

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/25/19 01:07 PM

Years ago before I had kids and time was plentiful, some friends and I found more mushrooms than we could eat or give away. I decided to freeze them. I rolled them in egg, flour, then placed them on a sheet of waxed paper and put them in the freezer. After they were froze solid I just threw them all in gallon freezer bags, then when we was ready to eat mushrooms they just went straight into the deep fryer. We were eating mushrooms into that winter. I was impressed enough with this method that I learnt from my eldest sister, I would not hesitate to try it again. Only thing I would change is I would try to vacuum seal them next time around. Hope that helps.

I sure enjoy all your alls mushrooms pics smile

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/27/19 01:12 AM

Thanks Micheal, that's how I usually cook them and I saw a YouTube video of a guy freezing them the way you were saying except he didn't use egg. I've had an incredible year and we are still finding fresh ones and I have my crisper full and plan on taking the family out hunting tomorrow. So I'm definitely gping to give it a try and I'll let everyone know how they turn out. Here's a few from today [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/27/19 01:21 AM

[Linked Image]

Found about 5lbs tonite of morels.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/27/19 02:54 AM

Great job fellas. I never seem to find any around me. But, a lady I was at a conference with in Shepherdstown, West (by God) Virginia this week, walked into the woods and found about two dozen during our lunch break.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/27/19 03:14 AM

Good looking mushrooms gutthooked, maybe you'll find some this year Rob. Seems they were everywhere here this season

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/27/19 10:02 PM

[Linked Image]

Found about 7.5 lbs today.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 12:05 AM

Dang good haul gutthooked, I took the wife and kids out this evening and we found about 50 Good ones and a bunch that were too far gone. I think it's about over here, been a great year

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 12:36 AM

I did find a bunch that were too far gone ,but got a few that were very fresh and firm. I guess I'll have to move up in elevation.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 01:32 AM

It was a great evening with the family [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
And my 4yr old daughter found her first morel on her own
Posted By: idahome

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 02:57 AM

I`m starting to get the first ones here in north ID.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 03:10 AM

Lots of smiles there rm.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 12:17 PM

Looks like just about everyone is having a decent season.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 12:20 PM

i went once and only thing i found was that pine cones made me think i had found one a couple times for a second.may take a walk today but snowin pretty hard right now. crazy

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 12:49 PM

I thought you were in Pennsylvania pcr2 but Im beginning to think your in the north pole buddy

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 12:52 PM

can see NY from the house.it can't decide if it wants to rain or snow but we don't need either.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 12:53 PM

Yea gutthooked this is the first year I really got the family involved, I've always just brought them in and they are them. Now they are asking to go with me everytime so it's made it a lot more fun to have the kids with me and the wife can spot them better than I can

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 12:55 PM

I'd say you'll be finding some in May then. Do you know of anyone around that finds them pcr2?

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 12:59 PM

nope,always told we don't have em,so never payed much attention.will be payin attention though while gobbler hunting the next couple weeks.have a few places that are perfect in my mind from what you guys describe.we'll see.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 01:23 PM

Do you have elm trees up there pcr2? I don't have many at my elevation (3500ft-6000ft) but I find most of mine under Sycamore,Apple, and ash and tulip populars. And if you can find a dying tree of those species it's usually 100% they'll be there
Posted By: Bosco

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 01:28 PM

Anybody in Montana finding any yet?

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 01:32 PM

Hey pcr2 I found this map and going by it you definitely have morels but it's says they don't normally pop til May 10th and go thru the end of may [Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 01:37 PM

thanx,i'll be lookin hard.never have saw elm that i knew was elm but a lot of big hard maple that i could be misjudging and are dead elm.i've harvested about every type of plant we have here for myself or to market-why i am intrigued by the morels.heck one year i made a couple good checks and sold over a ton of dried skunk cabbage root. crazy

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 02:23 PM

Pcr2 go look under sycamore trees.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 02:32 PM

For me,it should be about 3 weeks or maybe even later as we have had a late Winter,It's actually snowing right now.
Posted By: scrapper

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 02:34 PM

I just found the first for the year here in Jefferson county, pa. Another week or so for you pcr.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 05:16 PM

First batch this morning! [Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 04/28/19 06:26 PM

Good deal flipper, I just fried 50 for dinner

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 05/02/19 12:04 AM

Well how it going? Got to be someone finding some.
Posted By: TRAPPER-ED

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 05/02/19 12:12 AM

live ash tree's here are good this year

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 05/02/19 12:14 AM

I got some spots that live ash do great but the beavers have chewed a little on them.
Posted By: Hern

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 05/02/19 12:21 AM

Found first two yesterday. Today, 10 more at the back of our property. Will pick in a day or two.
Am sure there's more to come.
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 05/02/19 12:25 AM

Just finished up freezing 10 pounds of them here in NWMO. Have enough to eat a meal a week for the next year. smile

ol' dad

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 05/02/19 01:49 AM

I found a few blacks on top of beech mtn, NC today at about 5500 ft elevation, but we are about done for the year

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 05/02/19 03:00 AM

Found about 75 nice white morels today.
Posted By: scrapper

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 05/02/19 10:08 AM

69 last night for me. A lot of bad ones already. I left around a third that many in the woods. To wet?

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 05/02/19 11:11 AM

headed after the rain quits,would be happy with just a few.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 05/02/19 11:50 AM

How many do you think you got this season RM? Morels are done here for me so now I will be on the river trying to catch some flat heads. I got about half a gallon zip lock back of dehydrated one so maybe that will last me till fall. Next year I will give freezing them a try one more time.
Looks like i could pick Oklahoma them head to Missouri if I wanted to next year. Missouri season started right at the end of oklahomas. I think it would be fun to do a morel road trip.

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 05/06/19 03:29 PM

Was bored yesterday evening so I took my boys out in the woods and looked for some mushrooms and to my surprise we found some fresh ones, we've had an incredible season [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hern

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 05/06/19 04:11 PM

Snyder County, Pa.
Today at the back of our property...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 05/06/19 08:04 PM

Matt I quit counting at 1500 mushrooms but is say I ended up with 1800 or so. By far my best season, but I definitely spent more time looking this year. I couldn't believe I found those yesterday after the hot weather we've had for two weeks. If you make a long road trip next year Matt you are welcome to come to east Tenn and we'll try to pile them up

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 05/06/19 08:04 PM

Those are nice hern
Posted By: taser

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 05/06/19 11:36 PM

great post guy's ..I'm hoping our season starts in another week here. Last year wasn't all that great. You all have me optimistic... grin

Re: MOREL TIME!! - 05/06/19 11:50 PM

Matt I quit counting at 1500 mushrooms but is say I ended up with 1800 or so. By far my best season, but I definitely spent more time looking this year. I couldn't believe I found those yesterday after the hot weather we've had for two weeks. If you make a long road trip next year Matt you are welcome to come to east Tenn and we'll try to pile them up

Thanks RM if I make a trip I will definitely keep that in mind. Glad you had a great season.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums