Home

MN Spring Beaver

Posted By: HOUTS32

MN Spring Beaver - 04/05/19 07:42 PM

Anyone out yet? I think it's a little early in the east central part of the state but I'll be rolling this weekend regardless. Some banks are still froze and the water is a little high, but it's getting better everyday.

Good luck all,
HOUTS
Posted By: trappertom222

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/05/19 07:46 PM

Set a crick system Tuesday on fresh sign in the open water, pulled a 43 and 66# yesterday. But for the most part a lot of the lakes and lodges are still ice covered, should all be open by next week around here.

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/05/19 07:54 PM

I set up 2 good rivers and no action in 2 days so I don't think the river beaver are moving very far yet either.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/05/19 07:55 PM

ya'll are tryin to beat Les aren't ya??don't blame ya. grin
Posted By: trapper les

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/05/19 08:23 PM

River ice has water flowing over it in places and other places under it and still locked in place. Melt down is slow and a lot of snow in the woods. Even in an early ice out, the dispersal is after the middle of the month. So...local beavers get caught, for the most part, in an early ice out. Of course, I'm talking about up here on the border.

We need a week of warm weather and a rainstorm just to cause good ice jams, that take out roads and cause major flooding. One can only hope.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/05/19 10:00 PM

Yes Les-I was just north of the border today and same thing here-it will be a good week or so yet.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/05/19 10:15 PM

when does your season end are is april 15 in u p of Michigan don't look like we will have much of a season again
Posted By: The Beav

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/05/19 10:19 PM

Took an adult pair out of the county park this week.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/05/19 10:36 PM

Beat you Beav took 6 out of county park....... Semper Fi
Posted By: The Beav

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/05/19 10:50 PM

I hope you got well paid.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/05/19 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
when does your season end are is april 15 in u p of Michigan don't look like we will have much of a season again

maybe it'll be extended again but I guess if nobody knows about it doesn't matter
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/05/19 11:30 PM

Still ice fishing. I hope to for two more weeks at least
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/05/19 11:52 PM

Minnesota beaver season runs till May 15. Sure wish I could participate.
Tom
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/06/19 12:01 AM

Always fun to drive by the local college on the first 70 degree day smile
Posted By: yukonal

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/06/19 12:29 AM

Dad's creek is flowing, but the travelers from the Mississippi haven't made their way up yet, to rebuild the age old dam.

As soon as it's rebuilt, I'll know they are back.

Let me know if you need help lugging a couple out. whistle
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/06/19 01:14 AM

April 10 here....The End.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/06/19 02:06 AM

My biggest issue is getting to the places. Too much mud and the land owners don't want me taking any short cuts across their fields. I'm too old and out of shape to carry my equipment that far so will just have to wait for now. On a good note, by the time I can get out there, I'll be able to set some gopher traps along the way!

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/08/19 04:09 PM

I did get 1 two year old floater yesterday out of 3 traps, so there must be a few moving. Decided to hold off a week to set an actual line. Looks like a lot of rain/snow in the forecast for the week.

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/17/19 07:38 PM

Anyone out setting. They are moving in the central part of the state. Ground is a little froze in spots and the water levels are all over, but the floaters are on the move. 13 out of 30 sets in two days. I haven't set any colonies. These are all traveling river beaver.

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/17/19 07:41 PM

heard a rumor Les went a little over his boots today.think he's skinnin now.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/17/19 07:58 PM

The water rose considerably last night with the 60 degree day as the snow melts. I am skinning, and drinking coffee. A lot of ice is on my ditch grades and any pond though.
Posted By: Sask hunter

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/17/19 08:07 PM

Up in SK they are moving OK. Averaging 1.5 per night but only have 4 traps out all within 100 yards of each other. It’s wnoigh for bear bait without much effort and less then a mile out of town
Posted By: trappertom222

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/17/19 08:08 PM

Definitely seeing some travelers now, picking up beaver with little sign on the banks. Going to be setting a big line this weekend, if i can figure out pictures i'll try posting Sunday. The goal is 100 in 3 days, but i'm always overly optimistic.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/18/19 07:03 AM

Got a call from one of the guys on the township board in regards to catching some problem beaver. Going to check it out this weekend. They just upped the bounty to $50 per beaver regardless of size and I get to keep the beaver. Sounds like a sweet deal to me, now if I can just get the beavers to cooperate....
Posted By: RdFx

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/18/19 11:14 AM

Beav 74#, 63#, 51#,42#, 21#,19# . $150 per bvr. I couldnt drive to area, im getting too mature for hauling that poundage out 3/4 mile. Money helped buy winter fuel for house.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/18/19 03:48 PM

I'm just doing some nuisance beaver trapping. I won't waste the fur, but it looks like the castor will be the better of the two cash-wise. I get paid per beaver on nuisance jobs. Otherwise, I don't search out beaver. It's a shame, cause I really love beaver trapping and IMO, beaver fur is beautiful fur. I don't understand why the market should be so weak for it.

Re: MN Spring Beaver - 04/18/19 04:03 PM

beavers all about the dressing and where its being done.them peoples arms are too short to do beaver.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums