Home

asparagus ?

Posted By: scrapper

asparagus ? - 04/07/19 12:02 PM

What's everyone use to mulch their asparagus beds? Been using mushroom manure, but dang weeds grow right up through it.
Posted By: Fairchild #17

Re: asparagus ? - 04/07/19 12:04 PM

For mulch? Heavy layer of straw.
Posted By: Sullivan K

Re: asparagus ? - 04/07/19 12:16 PM

I don't put any mulch on mine and it produces jut fine. In the fall, after it has all died off. I mow it to get rid of the dead stalks and that's it. Mine is just bare ground all winter and I have no problems. In the spring, before the asparagus starts to come up, I will kill what weeds have sprouted with Roundup. I do fertilize with phosphorus.
Posted By: Pasadena

Re: asparagus ? - 04/07/19 01:22 PM

I leave the old stocks in until spring, then burn them( which I did last week). Then I’ll throw mulched up leaves on the beds. Just went out and looked at the beds. Have one spear popping up now.
Posted By: brianmall

Re: asparagus ? - 04/07/19 01:31 PM

Just put 40 2 year crowns in yesterday.

Dug trench 8" deep by 12 " wide, used a combination of goat/chicken/duck compost in mound at bottom of trench, placed plants equally spaced on mound in trench, covered lightly, will let sprout and cover completely, then let sprout and mulch lightly for weed control. Fertilize as needed from year to year.

Planted purple passion and Jersey supreme
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: asparagus ? - 04/07/19 02:57 PM

If you make homemade icecream, dump the salt water on your aspergrass beds. Will keep the weeds out and won't hurt the aspergrass at all.
Posted By: Fur Hanger

Re: asparagus ? - 04/07/19 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pasadena
I leave the old stocks in until spring, then burn them( which I did last week). Then I’ll throw mulched up leaves on the beds. Just went out and looked at the beds. Have one spear popping up now.

X2
Posted By: iaduckhntr

Re: asparagus ? - 04/07/19 04:08 PM

I use grass clippings and compost. The deer think I'm doing a grand job !!!
Dennis
Posted By: scrapper

Re: asparagus ? - 04/08/19 07:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. I too leave the old stuff till spring, then burn. I'm trying to find something to combat the weeds in the summer. Dang chick weed is a constant battle.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums