Home

Eating fish eggs

Posted By: beeman

Eating fish eggs - 04/10/19 12:53 PM

I know people eat salmon eggs but does anyone eat walleye, perch, or other fresh water fish eggs? How do you fix them?
Posted By: james dymond

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/10/19 01:05 PM

Fry perch eggs with the fish, better than salmon eggs I think.
Posted By: white17

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/10/19 01:08 PM

I've eaten whitefish fish eggs several times. Raw with just some pepper or hot sauce
Posted By: charles

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/10/19 01:41 PM

Herring roe and shad roe are delicious.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/10/19 01:44 PM

Spoonbill eggs raw and salted are barely edible. I will have to be pretty hungry to eat them again
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/10/19 02:28 PM

Coat 'em and fry 'em same as filets. Eat bluegill and perch eggs. Yum!
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/10/19 02:30 PM

You can't beat perch eggs IMO! Fry them with the fish. I like my perch in the round.
Posted By: iaduckhntr

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/10/19 03:33 PM

Me thinks I read that gar roe is poisonous to people. Might want to check it out before ya try that kind.
Dennis
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/10/19 03:51 PM

Gar , as far as I know , are toxic but that appears to be about it . I believe other species we encounter are fine.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/10/19 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Spoonbill eggs raw and salted are barely edible. I will have to be pretty hungry to eat them again

They sell Ohio, farm raised Spoonbill (paddlefish) eggs for $60.00 for 50 grams.

https://www.bigfishfarms.com/new-products

I know a Kentucky, commercial fisherman, who makes a significant portion of his income, catching wild Spoonbill, for their eggs.

Can you legally sell the eggs from the paddlefish you catch in Kansas?

Keith
Posted By: charles

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/10/19 06:45 PM

I think the roe of bowfin is also toxic.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/10/19 06:53 PM

i'll stick to the fillets.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/10/19 07:05 PM

I fished in Manitoba for Lake Trout in the fall and our guide said Native babies are fed their eggs raw. I tried them, before we released the fish, tastes like cantelope.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/10/19 10:02 PM

So far as i lnow its illegal to sell spoony eggs in any state. There are possessions limit too
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/10/19 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by charles
I think the roe of bowfin is also toxic.

False. Is sold retail, harvested mostly in LA. Poor man's caviar, but is still expensive. Chouepique (shoe-pick)
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/11/19 12:01 AM

Most of them will give you a stellar case of bubble guts if you eat too many.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/11/19 12:02 AM

Always keep walleye, bass, or any lake fish eggs. Roll them in the meal and fry them. They are very good!
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/11/19 12:25 AM

Don't do fish eggs, but I love shrimp eggs!
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/11/19 01:30 AM

Tried perch eggs once, rolled in corn meal and fried, way to fishy for me. Tried caviar once never again. I love fish but the eggs I will leave to someone who enjoys them.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/11/19 03:24 AM

You can still harvest spoonbill for eggs in Illinois ,kentucky ,tTennessee its strange that Illinois has some of the most liberal commercial fishing laws in the midwest .you can still commercially fish catfish there to
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/11/19 03:28 AM

The major source of American caviar is shovel nose sturgeon AKA hackleback .they rarely get over ten lbs
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/11/19 03:34 AM

I get a lot of fresh trout eggs from processors where I pick up fresh scraps to make oil.
Rendered down , they make a fair lure base for some predator lures.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/11/19 06:30 AM

I don't like fried fish eggs. But raw, slightly salted, or dipped momentarily in boiling water are great (this applies to salmon eggs).

I don't know if you could prepare other eggs this way, but this is how I really like salmon eggs;
You need really ripe eggs (loose in the skein or fresh squeezed from the fish). Boil water in a sauce pan lightly salted and some black pepper, also add to the water finely diced onion. Dump the eggs in the boiling water, stir them for a few seconds; you want them to just turn from a liquid (inside the egg) to what would be a "soft boil", if you cook them just a few seconds too long they will turn rubbery or too firm.
When they are cooked just right, dump them into a strainer to remove the hot water and stop the cooking process.
Dump them on your plate and eat.

I doubt this is a traditional Native American way of preparing them, but that's how my Puyallup friends (the Satiacum clan) showed me how to cook them years ago. Anybody on here remember Bob?
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/11/19 07:47 AM

Here in western Alaska pike eggs are eaten raw with a little salt. I eat all fish eggs myself, my favorite is burbot boiled, they look like sausages. Herring are good cooked or raw. Salmon are good salted, or cooked, or picked.No eggs are thrown away around here.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/11/19 08:45 AM

perch egg when they are small an tight, fried like fish
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Eating fish eggs - 04/11/19 02:25 PM

I have a friend that eats sucker eggs
© 2024 Trapperman Forums