Home

1000 Coyote Year

Posted By: andrews1958

1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 04:42 AM

Curious if anyone has ever done it? Heard of ones for coon and muskrat but not for coyotes
Posted By: 10bands

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 04:47 AM

An entire year yes I've heard of it. ADC types. Just the fur season I haven't heard of that.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 04:55 AM

Still planning on doing it as a solo endeavor. I've done it as part of a team , incorporating several methods, but never by myself and trapping only.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 12:16 PM

That'd be a tough finish line to cross. Fur season typically isn't long enough. Say you had three months of "good" pelts.... you'd need an average of better than 11 coyotes each day, every day to get to 1000. Whew. That's a lotta family units.

And you wouldn't add to the numbers much with ADC work because predator control aspect isn't about big numbers per se.
As an example, I have traps in the ground now (as I do about 8 months a year) but I'm actually trapping for specific coyotes that need to be culled versus running miles of traps on a fur line after various coyotes.
This current ranch has a pair of dogs as near as I can tell that maraud about once a week, killing game species about once every two weeks. They need to go asap. Trouble is typical in the ADC sphere.... owner/rancher has had repeated trappers and predator callers in and outta here after these coyotes for about 5 months... and now I'm hired. You talk about tricky doggies. They were giggling in the bushes as they saw my truck and trailer pull in I swear.
But I will show them a coyote!! Or two if the Lord is willing!!

I checked my spreadsheet for a solid year (2018) where I trapped 326 coyotes in 8+ months;
50% came in 5 weeks on a fur line...
And the other 50% came from 7 months of ADC jobs.

You need to be a fur trapper for the numbers wink

Mark
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 12:40 PM

You would have to have the coyotes to do it. I think it would be pretty tough for one person to do right now. I think it could be done though.

Some of the Government guys had pretty big numbers years ago.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 12:57 PM

There are several in the plains of Canada that have been there or dang close. Corse their season is longer than ours in the lower 48 too, which helps immensely! Like Mark pointed out, to maintain an eleven yote a day average through even a sixty day seaso would be superhuman, and with the current numbers of yotes in this country in all the good coyote hatcherys would be basically impossible! At my age , I am very happy to maintain a two to three a day avg during the times I'm trapping, but used to do better that tat when a lot younger!
Posted By: MChewk

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 01:00 PM

Marty Senneker from Canada comes to mind.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 01:17 PM

Yep Mike, he was one I was thinking of. He has been within spitting distance of that number several times! Makes two or three hundred sound like childs play, but we all know how much work that is. Larry is spot on, and it will be long after the present boom on yotes before anyone gets close to that number again!
Posted By: The Beav

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 01:58 PM

I know of 2 guys that have hit the 700 mark and routinely do 500 . But the question I have Is Why would you want to LOL
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I know of 2 guys that have hit the 700 mark and routinely do 500 . But the question I have Is Why would you want to LOL

It seems to me that trying to get to those numbers would take most of the fun out of it.
Posted By: red mt

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 02:46 PM

Pud Long from years ago I believe hit once for came close

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 03:53 PM

Beav, I don't always agree with you, but we are lock step on this one! grin Numbers don't mean as much as they used to, we got nothin to prove anymore!
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 04:14 PM

I'm thinking if you started in North Dakota early in the season and worked your way south doing 20 hour days for 5 months you might have a 50/50 chance. Lol

Mike
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 04:43 PM

Not possible in the south. I've heard of a trapper or two that made it to 300 plus in a year.....not fur season. I ran at very hard when live marketing a few years back and didnt break 100...caught 87 in 60 days. But that was while working a full time job too.
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 04:48 PM

You would most likely have to state hop to pull it off. The number of hours per day that would have to be invested to get to those numbers would also take a few years off your life.
Posted By: wr otis

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 05:08 PM

1000÷20=50
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
I'm thinking if you started in North Dakota early in the season and worked your way south doing 20 hour days for 5 months you might have a 50/50 chance. Lol

Mike

Never said it'd be easy. Lol
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 05:32 PM

Craig O'Gorman has to over 1000 a year several times. Robert E Long = Pud Long did in 1942. Frank Martain out of Texas did it once I think. Chance Groom did one year of 1000 coyotes too i think
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Not possible in the south. I've heard of a trapper or two that made it to 300 plus in a year.....not fur season. I ran at very hard when live marketing a few years back and didnt break 100...caught 87 in 60 days. But that was while working a full time job too.

I have to agree with Swamp Wolf 100% NOT possible in the south . Last year from Feb 12 th to Oct 14th I caught 307 coyotes. To MY knowledge , I run some of the largest tracts in the state of Alabama. I have around 70,000 acres in 1 county. AND I trap in about 14 counties total. I will say I average 150 traps a day . Run from daylight till 4 or 5 pm some days. 80 to 90 miles of windsheild time on some jobs.Every day. Its tuff, in the hot weather, dont see how ANYONE could break 1000 in south even if he had ALL the land he wanted, specially with 24 hour check laws in most states
Posted By: tjm

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 07:00 PM

Daily checks should bring the numbers up, a trap with yesterdays catch still in it can't catch another. In a contest you might ought to go to twice daily checks. Windshield time is time wasted, mop up an area and move camp.

A guy that catches and processes over 600 in a 2 1/2 month fur season shouldn't have too much trouble knocking off another 400 in the remaining 7 months of a year. I think it goes back to the question of "who wants to?" or "why would any one want to?"

If you put up enough money or other reward, I bet several could do it this year. Guarantee $100 per head up to 500 coyotes and $200 per for the next 500 and $500,000 for the first winner and you will be surprised at how many coyotes you will buy.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 07:39 PM

It seems to me it would be more efficient to have several lines with maybe 2 and 3 day checks. The big number guys are trapping these feed lots where their knocking down 10 + coyotes at a time. You have 10 or more feed lots set up It won't take to long to put up some big numbers.
But you would have to state hop and do ADC work In the summer. And of coarse you would have to get paid decent money per head.
Posted By: tjm

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 08:05 PM

And of coarse you would have to get paid decent money per head.
That answers the why.At fur prices and with the added work of put up, the incentive fades after a certain effort is used. take away the weeks of skinning and scraping and pay enough, the incentive returns. You can hit numbers pretty quick by dennig in areas that you didn't trap. Multiple states isn't new to the numbers guys in any event.
Posted By: tbn

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 10:06 PM

Beav you crack me up. Not everybody traps feed lots. Many use simple bait stations.Numbers are merely how hard a guy works over a determined amount of ground and population density in that area.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Marty Senneker from Canada comes to mind.

x2-he is the only guy I have heard has come close up here in Canada.He runs snares only from what I have heard.but Alberta also has the population to catch huge numbers-so does Saskatchewan some years.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by tbn
Beav you crack me up. Not everybody traps feed lots. Many use simple bait stations.Numbers are merely how hard a guy works over a determined amount of ground and population density in that area.

X2. Met a guy from on here recently that catches 200+ in 2 weeks on his vacation from work. Dont believe he traps feedlots from talking to him.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 11:04 PM

I don’t know, but with those numbers one might melt the sheaves out of ADC’s skinning machines, with the speed and work it would do. laugh
Posted By: jabNE

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 11:40 PM

My God, and I worked my butt off one year to hit 44.
I feel so small now compared you guys!
Jim
Posted By: Dave Plueger

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 11:51 PM

Anyone know what doc (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)'s best season is?

Local 'ol fella by the name of Carl Stearns has knocked down over 300 in less than a month trapping Texas.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 11:54 PM

I guess I didn't realize a last name was a swear word! Went with a D after the N. confused
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/11/19 11:55 PM

I would have to see this happen lots of wind in them prairies .I am old and set about 25 sets or less my average is like 2.2 per day of trapping a 10 mile by 30 mile area . When the snow gets over a couple inches and the wind blows it dwindles to a handful a week not even 1 per day Then comes the Ground pounders and the Houndog chasers and I pack up!
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Plueger
I guess I didn't realize a last name was a swear word! Went with a D after the N. confused

His best is a lot Dave. A lot!

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 12:24 AM

I knew it was a lot Steven, just don't know if its a grand or more. Is it?
Posted By: Northof50

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 12:27 AM

Marty was going to break a 1000 one year but his truck broke down so when he got a new one his numbers went way down, scent off his new carpet is what he figured happened.
that was when they were worth 50 bucks not 150 like now and a lot of others are in the works now.
It does take a walk in semi trailer freezer to handle the take, to catch up after the season.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
It seems to me it would be more efficient to have several lines with maybe 2 and 3 day checks. The big number guys are trapping these feed lots where their knocking down 10 + coyotes at a time. You have 10 or more feed lots set up It won't take to long to put up some big numbers.
But you would have to state hop and do ADC work In the summer. And of coarse you would have to get paid decent money per head.

That's the way to get that job done.24 hr. checks or twice a day checks would be a absolute joke and a waste of time on a long line here in the north country.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 01:38 AM

If a midwest county was 35 miles x 35 miles, you'd only need to take one coyote per square mile in the county and you gotcha 1,000.
Seems easy enough.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 01:40 AM

Anyone that would even suggest twice a day checks on a coyote line reveals their knowledge of lack thereof.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mark June
If a midwest county was 35 miles x 35 miles, you'd only need to take one coyote per square mile in the county and you gotcha 1,000.
Seems easy enough.

Yeah..it dont seem too out of reach when you figure it like that...

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 01:45 AM

Anyone that would even suggest twice a day checks on a coyote line reveals their knowledge of lack thereof.

Maybe check #1 is when you drive in and check #2 is again when you drove out crazy

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 01:57 AM

Maybe check #1 is when you drive in and check #2 is again when you drove out crazy

Didnt think about it like that. Must be some active coyotes there...😃
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 02:04 AM

That'd be a tough finish line to cross. Fur season typically isn't long enough. Say you had three months of "good" pelts.... you'd need an average of better than 11 coyotes each day, every day to get to 1000. Whew. That's a lotta family units.

And you wouldn't add to the numbers much with ADC work because predator control aspect isn't about big numbers per se.
As an example, I have traps in the ground now (as I do about 8 months a year) but I'm actually trapping for specific coyotes that need to be culled versus running miles of traps on a fur line after various coyotes.
This current ranch has a pair of dogs as near as I can tell that maraud about once a week, killing game species about once every two weeks. They need to go asap. Trouble is typical in the ADC sphere.... owner/rancher has had repeated trappers and predator callers in and outta here after these coyotes for about 5 months... and now I'm hired. You talk about tricky doggies. They were giggling in the bushes as they saw my truck and trailer pull in I swear.
But I will show them a coyote!! Or two if the Lord is willing!!

I checked my spreadsheet for a solid year (2018) where I trapped 326 coyotes in 8+ months;
50% came in 5 weeks on a fur line...
And the other 50% came from 7 months of ADC jobs.

You need to be a fur trapper for the numbers wink

Mark
100% correct.I trap for fur but also have a animal nuisance control business.Fur is about numbers,,nuisance work is about getting rid of specific animals.For me,the nuisance work usually pays off better with less work.Plus,with my nuisance control license,,I can do that all year around.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by tbn

That may be true but If feed lots are available you better be trapping them . I never said they would be only trapping feed lots.

I talked to a long liner and he was running 300 traps. And was running 3 day checks. Not sure what his daily average was.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 02:13 AM

Give me a fur line any day!

I've been after a pair of dog-gone pair of killin' coyotes on this 280 high fenced acre ranch for 6 days now and still no rattle of a chain. Toughies!
Maybe momma is on the nest right about now? ADC work is not a numbers game unless your denning and such. One-sie, two-sies and such. Sometimes more after all the trappers who charge little to nothing have a whack at 'em.
When the pups pop out end of June, you do have puppies everywhere, in every trap. Not sure if that counts?
Regardless, when it's about 100 degrees in the shade, the sun block and bug spray keeps me "juiced" up.
Love it.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 02:17 AM

1,000 coyotes @ $100 per decent hide average = $100,000 a season.
That'll buy yas gas
Beats mink trapping
It'd take 20,000 mink @ $5 average = $100,000 a season
That's all the mink in IL, IA, and both Dakotas combined smile
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 02:21 AM

Give me a fur line any day!

I've been after a pair of dog-gone pair of killin' coyotes on this 280 high fenced acre ranch for 6 days now and still no rattle of a chain. Toughies!
Maybe momma is on the nest right about now? ADC work is not a numbers game unless your denning and such. One-sie, two-sies and such. Sometimes more after all the trappers who charge little to nothing have a whack at 'em.
When the pups pop out end of June, you do have puppies everywhere, in every trap. Not sure if that counts?
Regardless, when it's about 100 degrees in the shade, the sun block and bug spray keeps me "juiced" up.
Love it.

The fun part about nuisance work is when your NOT the first one they called to solve the problem.Nothin funner than getting to try to catch critters that a bunch of yahoos have already educated. mad

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 02:43 AM

Seems easy enough.

When you consider some of the ranches that Marty S had signed up for in Alberta that's a drop in the bucket.

Beav it's not the feedlots.....it's the summer range lands where the cows die on the prairies and the coyotes make trails to them. That where his developed snare shine....closed down on a coyotes jugular.

One thing about new drones is they can find these jems hidden on the prairies big time.
Posted By: 1crazytrapper

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 02:12 PM

Seems easy enough.

Yeah..it dont seem too out of reach when you figure it like that...

if you have permission on all of those sections. grin

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 08:19 PM

The way Alberta is set up, once you are signed on private land with your licence you are the sole trapper. Some of those spreads are larger than what you could think.
Posted By: spjones

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50
The way Alberta is set up, once you are signed on private land with your licence you are the sole trapper. Some of those spreads are larger than what you could think.

Not true. No limit to the amount of folks that can have permission.
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 10:50 PM

I couldn't even imagine skinning that many. I know once I got to about 100, i puked just a little bit everytime I saw another coyote in a trap.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/12/19 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by spjones
Originally Posted by Northof50

Not true. No limit to the amount of folks that can have permission.

Some landowners only allow one person per spread so nobody can point fingers at the other guys there.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/13/19 05:05 AM

Skinning, fleshing, and stretching 1,000 coyote a year wouldn't leave much time for trapping.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/13/19 06:31 PM

Fleshlng and stretching can be put off until later dates. Skinning with a machine speeds up that process. Would it dimes Nish the catch if the trapper sold in the round?

A thousand coyotes most likely could be done in a fur season if the stars aligned and the right motivated trapper took advantage of those conditions.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/13/19 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Plueger
Anyone know what doc (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)'s best season is?

Local 'ol fella by the name of Carl Stearns has knocked down over 300 in less than a month trapping Texas.

I don't know about a full season, but since he can't speak for himself on here. He did post regarding this post on another site he's done 600+ in 5 weeks. By himself on 24 hour checks. I guess that makes some of those 300 guys in 8 months look well....silly.

I know, I know he probably trapped a bunch of feedlots, and he surely wasn't out to catch the last two dogs on the property. Even though in reality he probably did it a number of times in those five weeks.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/13/19 07:16 PM

"Makes the 300 guys look silly"?

Really?

That Bob fellow must be your hero WadeRyan?

The Georgia guys that caught 300 cant be compared to Kansas.......

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/13/19 07:19 PM

"Makes the 300 guys look silly"?

Really?

That Bob fellow must be your hero WadeRyan?

The Georgia guys that caught 300 cant be compared to Kansas.......

Right over your head Swamp... I don't see anywhere in my comment where I mentioned Georgia....Not my hero by any means but he's a guy that's not afraid to tell it like it is. He's also given me multiple tips that have proved beneficial without selling me anything. He also produces the best (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) a guy can get his hands on in my opinion. Oh well in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/13/19 07:46 PM

I mentioned 300/year guys from Georgia earlier in this thread...so I assumed, being you didnt make the distinction that you were talking about specific trappers, that all comments were inclusive....

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/13/19 07:53 PM

I mentioned 300/year guys from Georgia earlier in this thread...so I assumed, being you didnt make the distinction that you were talking about specific trappers, that all comments were inclusive....

You know what they say about assumptions. I guess I just figured when people make claims such as "#1 Selling Bobcat Meat Paste Bait in America!" you'd expect more than 163 coyotes caught in the same time frame fur trapping with access to those kinds of products. Ol Christmas tree farmer can catch 3.5 times that in the same time frame...makes a guy scratch his head. In reference to your worries no I was not talking about Georgia trappers.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/13/19 08:03 PM

Once again...I "assumed" you actually read the entire thread.....

...but it appears you were just calling out one guy that makes a bobcat meat bait.....
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/13/19 08:21 PM

600 in 5 weeks lol, the older he gets the shorter the time frame is, and it's always by himself on everything !

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/13/19 09:09 PM

Are you implying he had a partner?
Posted By: Mac

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/13/19 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by GritGuy
600 in 5 weeks lol, the older he gets the shorter the time frame is, and it's always by himself on everything !

LOL

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/13/19 09:34 PM

I am sure his carcass pictures are still floating around.I consider Bob a friend.
Posted By: red mt

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/13/19 09:42 PM

That guy that did 800 coyotes in footholds in Canada ,,, kudos to him that quit the feat ,,,in conditions and regs they also have .
Well done

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/13/19 09:44 PM

17 plus coyotes per day average is stacking em up. And to maintain that kind of average for over a month....that's impressive.

A southern trapper will work like a field mule to maintain a 2 to 3 coyote per day average over a couple months.
Posted By: trapperne

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/13/19 11:59 PM

1000 coyotes isn’t that hard, the hard part for most is taking 90-100 days off from life to do it. The biggest catch I personally know of this season was 650 in 75 days and 450 in 22 days. I have no doubt these guys can catch a 1000 coyotes given the time.
Posted By: scheide

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 12:17 AM

I am lucky that I got to ride with Bob the year he made his 600 catch. It was quite the experience. He caught 64 in the 4 days I was there. At that time I introduced him to a skinning machine!

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 02:08 AM

17 plus coyotes per day average is stacking em up. And to maintain that kind of average for over a month....that's impressive.

A southern trapper will work like a field mule to maintain a 2 to 3 coyote per day average over a couple months.

Souther trapper has wheels, bob lives in Indiana but that isn't where he caught the 600 in 5 weeks.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 02:44 AM

600?

That's our paradigm?

what are the known catches in this universe?

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 02:55 AM

Seben

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Marty B
600?

That's our paradigm?

what are the known catches in this universe?

You know somebody putting more than 600 in the truck in 5 weeks Marty? Gas station stops not included.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by WadeRyan

You know what they say about assumptions. I guess I just figured when people make claims such as "#1 Selling Bobcat Meat Paste Bait in America!" you'd expect more than 163 coyotes caught in the same time frame fur trapping with access to those kinds of products. Ol Christmas tree farmer can catch 3.5 times that in the same time frame...makes a guy scratch his head. In reference to your worries no I was not talking about Georgia trappers.

Swamp Wolf,

He's referring to me wink.

But having done my Predator Academy in Kansas, I can tell ya that Dorothy and her little dog coulda caught a pile there cause they got 'em.

It not worthwhile to compare trappers as I've trapped 18 states and the concentration on dogs in those states varies greatly. Greatly.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 12:31 PM

Bob from IN is determined no matter what he goes after. He's a bit more confident than most are used to and that rubs some the wrong way but Bob and I have been associates in the trapping biz a good long while. He sets his mind to it to this day... it'll get done I'm sure.

I've noticed one thing about almost all trappers that have caught more than the average on any species - they respect fellow trappers who have busted more than the average (by far) hump to put a pile of critters in a fur pile. It's the dudes and dudettes that don't catch much thinking the other way around.

I remember one weekend some years back there was an IN state convention I was attending and Bob had his trapper get-together that same Saturday. I decided to stop by Bob's after the IN day had run its course and trappers wondered if we were gonna get into a brawl of some sort. What?? I pulled up, Bob walked over, grinned a big grin, and handed me an adult beverage. Had fun that late afternoon as a matter of fact. Very nice tree farmer/vet/trapper.

Posted By: Northmocats

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 01:13 PM

High density or not... They don't jump in the truck and traps don't bed themselves. For those inexperienced trappers just go to Kansas and catch a pile ,for those reading so easy even Dorothy can do it...

Tons of Trappers trap multi states, worth while to compare season end catch #'s. Lets not sugar coat hard work by saying , but but it was Kansas.

When you have a Big Ego its hard to say " That guy is a better trapper then myself." Or " The man out works me every year."

Easier to say "Well.... It was in Kansas anyone can do it!"

Should change your name to "Big E." LMAO.
Posted By: gman

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 02:30 PM

Guys making these huge catches have to have an unbelievable work ethic. That being said I will never believe those catches were made running 24 hour checks. No matter the numbers they are dealing with. The numbers just don't add up. Not in any way saying this to slight anyone-these guys certainly have my respect!!!

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 02:37 PM

I would expect every student of that trapping academy to catch as many as June cause he takes their money and shows them everything he knows about coyotes,lure,bait,really easy so I can assume when done,you and students are on the same level. No one being better than the next,all equals cause you were honest and told them everything. If I touted a big ego,I certainly wouldn't tell I caught 326 and took 8 months to do it.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 02:42 PM

Dang, you guys are hard on Mark....

..do I sense a little jealousy?

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by gman
Guys making these huge catches have to have an unbelievable work ethic. That being said I will never believe those catches were made running 24 hour checks. No matter the numbers they are dealing with. The numbers just don't add up. Not in any way saying this to slight anyone-these guys certainly have my respect!!!

Bob whose last name can not be spoken did his 600 in 5 weeks on a 24 hour check whether you believe it or not. All the guy in KS doing large catches are doing it on 24 hour, it's the law.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 02:48 PM

And to add to 49er.........only the winter weather shuts it down at 5 weeks.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 04:17 PM

That Hey Bob video guy was piling em up, very entertaining.

Time for a contest?

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 05:03 PM

I'm curious about what #s you're using that dont add up.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 05:53 PM

It's only 14.2857143 a day for 35 day's or .5952381 an hour for 840 hours for 500 in 5 weeks, in the right conditions, a pretty good trapper could do any of the large numbers mentioned here, one would not have to be any recognized "superior" trapper, and there are a lot of them out there who choose to not be recognized for a slap fest about who can do it or not. Doing it on a consistent level year after year would be more of a story than just one season !! Any ones records could prove it if they chose to really prove it besides a jabbering contest ! Without that it's just a he/said , she/said thing.

Location of the targets with a great population is the main ingredient to success. Discipline in your efforts would make a major
point to success as well. Not every state can provide this on a continuing season, not every person is as dedicated as are others either, seasons are different as well. Just to be fair to an older feller who can't stand to not beat his own chest !
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by red mt
That guy that did 800 coyotes in footholds in Canada ,,, kudos to him that quit the feat ,,,in conditions and regs they also have .
Well done

I wanna shake that mans hand, he had to of had a skinner a cook and a driver and be a master at time management.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 09:35 PM

....And you have to have a bit of humor to read my posts as I would NEVER slight another trapper. I never have and never will. Period. Paragraph.
A trapper with 100 coyotes that catches 90% is as effective as a trapper that catches 900 outta 1000. Numbers baby numbers as much as location son location.
Didn't say it's easy in the areas of high density, just makes it more do-able. Nothing easy in trapping when it comes to running and gunning. whistle

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/14/19 10:49 PM

Just the thought of trapping a thousand coyotes in a single season makes me tired. As stated with a daily checks it would be real hard, with more lenient laws it would be more doable. If a trapper could set for 3 days before he checked with a large population with access to the right locations and do the commercial rotation and stay at for 3 months, If the weather didn't shut him down . Guess I just talked myself out of that one LOL.. If ever there was a time to hit that goal, it would be now.. Good Luck
Posted By: ttzt

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/15/19 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by ND FTA

He didn't take our money, we PAID it to him for trapping instructions, just like hundreds of other trappers around the country pay for private instruction every year. It was worth every penny. Mark is right around 60 years old, so there is no possible way he could share all of his years worth of gathered knowledge with us in four days, but he sure tried, and he answered every question every one of us had. They preached location, organization, efficiency, and hard work. The coyotes caught in my group were all caught with Fur Country Lures products. There was no ego when those coyotes were caught with those baits and lures, only ENTHUSIASM. Even after some ribbing by us, just plain 100% enthusiasm for what we were doing. As far as your expectation of every student coming out of the academy at the same level as the instructors, everyone who read that statement sees it for what it is, disingenuous and cynical.

Back to the original post. A thousand coyotes in a season...?? Wouldn't that be something? Good for anyone who does it, or tries to do it. Jerry

Good grief, ND, why would you want to put such a well reasoned and polite post on a thread like this! And then of all things, you want to get back to the original post! Man talk about a buzz killer! laugh Thank you!

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/15/19 02:51 AM

I killed way over a 1000 coyotes one year but then realized I was still in my jammies. Oh wait or did that happen in one night? Lol

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/15/19 02:01 PM

Bob whose last name can not be spoken did his 600 in 5 weeks on a 24 hour check whether you believe it or not. All the guy in KS doing large catches are doing it on 24 hour, it's the law.[/quote]

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/15/19 02:03 PM

Bob whose last name can not be spoken did his 600 in 5 weeks on a 24 hour check whether you believe it or not. All the guy in KS doing large catches are doing it on 24 hour, it's the law.

Sorry---you will never convince of that!!!
Posted By: trapperne

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/15/19 02:48 PM

Well you are wrong, lots of guys make big catches on 24 hour checks. I have one customer that Caught 450 in 22 days on 24 hour check, another 650 in 75 days 24 hour check, another 700 in 90 days 24 hour check. That’s why very few guys can do because very few guys can wrap their head around it.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/15/19 04:59 PM

It's not our fault you can't think outside of your box l
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/15/19 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by tbn
I would expect every student of that trapping academy to catch as many as June cause he takes their money and shows them everything he knows about coyotes,lure,bait,really easy so I can assume when done,you and students are on the same level. No one being better than the next,all equals cause you were honest and told them everything. If I touted a big ego,I certainly wouldn't tell I caught 326 and took 8 months to do it.

He didn’t take anybody’s money. We paid him and it was worth every last penny. Mark, Donna, and Rusty worked their butts off every second we were there. 10-12 hours of instruction a day. Ive been trapping 30 years, and learned a lot. I’m grateful for the opportunity, and will check his and Rusty’s names off my list of great trappers and gentlemen that I’ve learned from and had the pleasure of meeting.

ND FTA well said!!

I think it’s hard for people to wrap there minds around because most people don’t have the time, willpower, and coyote density to get it done
Posted By: Gerald Schmitt

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/15/19 08:56 PM

English runner Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute mile in 1954. At that time, it was generally thought that it was not possible for a human to run a mile in under 4 minutes.

Following is a quote from Roger Bannister:

“It became a symbol of attempting a challenge in the physical world of something hitherto thought impossible,” Bannister said as the 50th anniversary of the run approached, according to the AP. “I'd like to see it as a metaphor not only for sport, but for life and seeking challenges.”

By the way the current world record is 3:43.13

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/15/19 11:26 PM

A little off topic here but on 24 hr checks how many coyote traps can a guy run in a full day. I know there are a lot of variables. But what's a big number to the guys making huge catches. Ball park. 100, 150 ,200 or more. One man by himself.
Posted By: PSB1011

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/15/19 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Gerald Schmitt
English runner Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute mile in 1954. At that time, it was generally thought that it was not possible for a human to run a mile in under 4 minutes.

Following is a quote from Roger Bannister:

“It became a symbol of attempting a challenge in the physical world of something hitherto thought impossible,” Bannister said as the 50th anniversary of the run approached, according to the AP. “I'd like to see it as a metaphor not only for sport, but for life and seeking challenges.”

By the way the current world record is 3:43.13

Most Americans dont think that way anymore.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/16/19 12:04 AM

Your right Phil, More people saying "it cant be done" than trying to prove it can be!!
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/16/19 12:23 AM

I don’t know if you could by running just footholds, but with a lot of snares, high density, it would be a lot easier, because you can set snares faster and reset faster if knocked over vs resetting footholds.
Posted By: wr otis

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/16/19 12:26 AM

Question is how many traps do you need to run to make the daily average you are shooting for. One guy is averaging almost twenty a day, another guy averages four a day both running same numbers of traps.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/16/19 12:36 AM

First thing I would need is an area with 1000 coyote.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/16/19 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by strike2x

Stickler for details!

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/16/19 01:01 AM

1002....you have to leave breeding stock.

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/16/19 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler

Stickler for details!

There are places out there.
Posted By: mrob

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/16/19 11:18 AM

Luckily you live within driving range of every coyote in the country. Even better is you don’t need to cover the whole country to find 1000 coyotes. If we assume an average density of 1 coyote per square mile, there are 31,400 coyotes within 100 miles of you.
Posted By: Bad Dog

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/18/19 03:05 PM

Wow, such an interesting thread!!!

And my login still works!

953 top season years ago, few people trapping/snaring
907 second, years ago
867 tho this season in just a smidge over 3 months. Killed all but two in snares, all with Magnums and prototype Super Magnum Stingers. Super Magnums... YIKES!!! Snaremen EVERYWHERE

Total basically done w snares the past two seasons, a couple shot, but I aspire to get some steel back in the ground next season, make a DVD and cause quite a stir! I do a few things a little unorthodox-ey. Is that a word?

I still aspire to kill 1000 in a season, is very doable, but side businesses have been interfering. I promise not to hunt whitetail next season! And do some steel trapping before the ground freezes.

So no thousand season yet... I need to repent of my slothful ways!!! Hate to say it again, but I have BIG plans for next season!!!
(btw, the nice lady at NAFA in Winnipeg claims I'm OCD???)

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/18/19 04:00 PM

I think that's close enough. Lol
My hat is off to you. That is amazing!

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/18/19 04:07 PM

Good luck Bad Dog, better make a lot of waxed dirt. Keep thinkin outside the box sir..
Posted By: scheide

Re: 1000 Coyote Year - 04/18/19 04:45 PM

Really like your stingers Marty.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums