Home

Poison Ivy rash remedy

Posted By: Canvasback2

Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 05:19 PM

Got a little bit of the dang stuff on the palm of my right hand. Itches like heck. What is the best way to stop the itch??
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 05:22 PM

I hit it with as hot of water as you can stand, paper towel dry it, then hit it with rubbing alcohol.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 05:25 PM

Ivy Dry, if you're close to a Walmart or such.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Muskrat
I hit it with as hot of water as you can stand, paper towel dry it, then hit it with rubbing alcohol.

I used to get poison ivy bad when I was a kid. Required shots usually to clear it up.

Heat is not your friend. Cold is. Heat will make the itch a lot worse. Cold , saltwater soaks to alleviate the itch and to dry it.

Thankfully, my body finally developed the ability to fight it. Now, I might get a small rash but it's gone pretty quick without rampant spreading. Thank God.

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 05:36 PM

I admit it's a bit unorthodox. But it works for me. And I've tried many, many remedies.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 05:59 PM

I admit it's a bit unorthodox. But it works for me. And I've tried many, many remedies.

Well, I'm glad, sir. Lol

The thought of heat on any rash makes me go fetal.
Posted By: Miley

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 06:14 PM

Hot water ,really hot water ,on posin ivy will make your leg move like a pup getting its belly scratched!
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 06:23 PM

Prednisone from your doc.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 06:35 PM

jewel weed,but that might not be up yet.

sounds stupid but--don't itch it--best thing for it.
Posted By: Twogunwilly

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 06:50 PM

Calamine lotion
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 07:22 PM

[quote=ratbrain]Prednisone from your doc.[/quote

Unfortunately prednisone is the ONLY thing that works for me. I've tried everything else. Nada.

The prednisone dries it up from the inside out.

Hot water as hot as you can stand it, does feel great and takes away the itch for a couple hours but is great at spreading it also.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 07:28 PM

Scratch it open and put bleach on it. Stings a little, but it will dry up in no time.

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 07:30 PM

says the guy that uses thumb meat to catch mice. laugh
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
says the guy that uses thumb meat to catch mice. laugh

I'm up to 4 so far on thumb. Good bait
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 08:00 PM

The best poison ivy remedy I know of is Plantago. I’ve seen people use common plantain leaves rolled up tight until they start to ooze juice. Some people chew the leaves and then wipe the green saliva on the rash.

This works on poison ivy, bee stings, mosquito bites and even diaper rash.

A. Plantain (Plantago major) is a weed that grows in many yards and fields across the country. It has an oval leaf and a central seed spike that children used to shoot at each other.

Herbalists have been recommending the juice of plantain leaves for minor skin irritations for centuries. Some research suggests that an extract of plantain has anti-inflammatory activity along with pain relieving properties (Journal of Ethnopharmacology, July, 2000).
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by wetdog
Scratch it open and put bleach on it. Stings a little, but it will dry up in no time.

This. Then take long sock cut off the bottom 2 inches. Apply ainti itch on ivy. Slide sock tube over ivy on arm or leg it works when at work. When home let it air out as much as possible
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 08:04 PM

wash it with dish soap

your body reacts to the oils that absorb in your skin form the plant.

how long since contact , if you may have had other contact wash any and all contact areas with dish soap.

if your already itching sort of doubtful that you will draw much of the oil out any more that is for when you first make contact and know it pre-itch but worth a try de-grease it.

then hydrocortizone topical and a benadryl oral to calm the reaction.

if you get to blisters try not to burst the blisters it is hard because it is so reliving at least temporarily . glue can wick the moisture through the blister without bursting them white school glue or Elmer's wood glue works. it works on burns very well

as soon as the blisters break start treating for the infection that is inevitable.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 08:26 PM

Should also add if you Kno your skin has been in contact with pi and it hasn't been very long a shower can get majority of oils off your skin. If in the field a rag or washcloth wet down an lightly rub over area you believe was in contact it will help a bunch.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 08:29 PM

too late for this episode, but the guys at work swear by Oral Ivy as a preventative (pre-exposure).

I use it, and think it works.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 08:39 PM

The bleach thing did nothing for me, personally.... but I'm weird.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 08:42 PM

Gojo without the grit and prednisone.
Posted By: charles

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 08:53 PM

Ratbrain has the answer. Get a Z-pack quickly.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 08:53 PM

Didnt read whole pos but, ......baking soda. Just sprinkle it on.
Ivy is acid, soda is base=neutralization
Posted By: BillyTraps

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 09:06 PM

From a friend in the south...Original Pine-Sol , just dab some on the rash, or add a couple table spoons full in your bath water.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 09:12 PM

I own a tree service so we are always getting in the stuff, two of my employees get it and would have to go to the Dr. Couple years ago and old timer told me to start eating a few small leafs of it in the spring and an occasional piece throughout summer. Now we no longer get it
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 10:13 PM

My whole family swears by Tecnu (maybe teknu). Great stuff available at Walmart. When we think we may have gotten into poison ivy we wash down with it. Treat the rash as well.

Moosetrot
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 10:32 PM

Scratch it open.....

Go pee....

Hold with that hand.....

You'll soon forget about the itchy palm.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 10:41 PM

Grind up aspirin and make into a paste with a small amount of water. Place this paste on the rash and allow to dry. The salicylic acid can help to speed healing.

.baking soda. Just sprinkle it on.
Ivy is acid, soda is base=neutralization >> this was posted above just make a paste using both aspirin and baking soda. Will dry it up in a hurry.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 11:22 PM

I use milk weed sap or a plant that have milk like sap. I put it on for a few days and then it is gone. Also works on oak and sumac.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/11/19 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by white marlin
too late for this episode, but the guys at work swear by Oral Ivy as a preventative (pre-exposure).

I was just told about this stuff last week. I’m going to buy some and give it a shot. I get it so bad every year it ruins my life for 2 weeks.
I already got a rash about 3 weeks ago with 20” of snow on the ground!
Posted By: squacks

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/12/19 12:04 AM

Last fall, I made up an ointment of jewelweed, plantain and olive oil. I have never had poison ivy but my turkey hunting buddies catch it every time they go in the woods. I made the stuff for them. This weekend it is an absolute certainty they will be trying it out. Stay tuned.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/12/19 12:48 AM

Burn piles with old leaves are really toxic, because the oils are taken into the lungs and spots all through the body.

Springer spaniels are poison ivy magnets their long hair picks up the sap from broken pi branches that is above the snow, this sap is 10 times more caustic than leaf rubs.

Watch when you are cleaning ruffed grouse, all those white berries are poison ivy in the crops of the bird.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/12/19 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Originally Posted by white marlin

I was just told about this stuff last week. I’m going to buy some and give it a shot. I get it so bad every year it ruins my life for 2 weeks.
I already got a rash about 3 weeks ago with 20” of snow on the ground!

we've been using it for 8-9 years...if I forget to order it, the guys remind me!

hope it works for you!
Posted By: trapperchris

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/12/19 02:45 AM

Not sure what I got into yesterday. About 2-3in grass right next to a beaver dam. Placed my hand in it to steady myself while I made a castor mound set. INSTANTLY my wrist started prickling like I was in stinging nettle; with in a minute had several small blisters. Went up to the shop, washed it off, poured white vinegar over it. Did the same about an hour later and took two benadryl. Blisters were gone but kept tingling. That was about 5pm.
10pm just a little bit of redness left and still was tingling and prickly until about midnight. Wished I knew what it was. Can't see anything but short new growth grass.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/12/19 02:52 AM

trapperchris.....Swimmer itch...parasite from snails I the water. They buried in your skin and you had a reaction
Posted By: Muskrat Love

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/12/19 02:59 AM

S
Originally Posted by Aaron Proffitt

Heat is not your friend. Cold is. Heat will make the itch a lot worse. Cold , saltwater soaks to alleviate the itch and to dry it.

Aaron Priffitt is correct. Hot water will move that poison ivy oil to all parts of your body. When I got into it, before it manifested itself, I used cool water and Fels Naptha soap to wash off the oil. Never had a rash.
Posted By: trapperchris

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/12/19 03:21 AM

Northof50, appreciate the idea but that hand never touched the water. Just put my hand against the grassy bank to steady myself. I've been down there 3 times today trying to i.d. something besides grass. Weird deal for sure.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/12/19 03:31 AM

Prednisone. When I planted trees as a young man I was in thickets of poison oak and didn't get it by consuming lots of prednisone.
Posted By: Leinie

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/12/19 03:31 AM

Rub white vinegar on it a couple times a day till gone. I get it alot and this works every time for me.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/12/19 11:53 AM

Technu works very well, really fast.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/12/19 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Leinie
Rub white vinegar on it a couple times a day till gone. I get it alot and this works every time for me.

Thank you I will try this.simple since have it already on hand. I get it all the time besides oak and sumac .When I was small I had sumac bad and took long time to get rid of it. I swell up bad hand and face beside all over my body .
Posted By: derek masenthin

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/12/19 12:08 PM

I use brake cleaner depending the area of the body! The good stuff flammable! It burns yes but after the burn it instantly dries out stops the itch goes away twice as fast
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/12/19 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron Proffitt

I used to get poison ivy bad when I was a kid. Required shots usually to clear it up.

Thankfully, my body finally developed the ability to fight it. Now, I might get a small rash but it's gone pretty quick without rampant spreading. Thank God.

The heat will cause your body to overstimulate Histamine production, when you run out, you will have about 6-8 hours of itch relief, combined with an OTC anti-histamine, you will survive.

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/12/19 09:23 PM

I'm sure glad you fellers are thinking of me here.

Now this is interesting. I used to get poison ivy about two or three times a year. Ever since I got Lyme's Disease about a year or so ago, I haven't had even a hint of poison ivy. I'd get it after deer camp every November, for walking through the river bottoms where it sticks up a couple of feet most everywhere. Not this past season. Not bow hunting or gun deer hunting.

Dunno. Something's changed, that's for sure.

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/12/19 09:25 PM

i swear i have it more than i don't in warm weather anymore.have honestly got to where it doesn't bother me much as it used to.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/12/19 11:00 PM

I'd just rub a little grease and sand on it.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/13/19 12:40 AM

Had a bad patch of it when I was younger... Scrubbed it with Comet. Had a bit of a chemical burn after... but it didn't itch anymore. Lol

I don't really recommend it though.

Mike

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/13/19 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by gutthooked
I'd just rub a little grease and sand on it.

Good solution when you're camping and you have no toilet paper.
Posted By: Fairchild #17

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/13/19 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Miley
Hot water ,really hot water ,on posin ivy will make your leg move like a pup getting its belly scratched!

This! That hot water releases all the histamines in one huge surge and to me it is a huge sense of relief. Curls your toes and dang near takes your breathe away. After that sensation is over, you sort of loose the ability to feel the itch.
Then it's time to get the bleach out to dry it up.

Jewel weed works fantastic as a preventative. If you get into ivy, find some jewel weed immediately and rub that juice all over your skin. It really works.
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/13/19 02:25 AM

teatree oil
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/13/19 04:35 AM

More of it flared up today! Top of my right hip itches like heck, Big ole red spot the size of a fist on the hip. Later on this Evening, I noticed it starting under my right eye ; around the cheek bone.

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/13/19 11:26 AM

did ya roll naked in it or what? grin
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/13/19 01:14 PM

I got it on the brain once. The only way to scratch it was to think about sandpaper............
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/13/19 02:24 PM

Pre-blister stage:
I googled poison ivy control a while back. One of the responses was from a forester, I believe, who was from Wisconsin. Anyway, he said to degrease the area you think was exposed by cleaning with Dawn. He said poison ivy oil was like axle grease in that it took LOTS of scrubbing with Dawn to remove. As I recall, he lathered up 3 times and said this has saved him from getting a rash ever again.

As for post-exposure blisters, my wife pops and drains them and then she scrubs the area with peroxide. I just suffer thru it. We both recover about the same time.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/13/19 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Canvasback2
More of it flared up today! Top of my right hip itches like heck, Big ole red spot the size of a fist on the hip. Later on this Evening, I noticed it starting under my right eye ; around the cheek bone.

Did you wake up this morning with your eyes swollen shut? Been there, done that!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 04/13/19 08:36 PM

Your body runs on about a 7 yr cycle for the alergen Urushiol. When you get a bad rash, your suseptibility will be high, and decrease over a 7 year period, till your normal resistance returns.
Posted By: run

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 05/01/19 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by RM trapper
I own a tree service so we are always getting in the stuff, two of my employees get it and would have to go to the Dr. Couple years ago and old timer told me to start eating a few small leafs of it in the spring and an occasional piece throughout summer. Now we no longer get it

Cool.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 05/01/19 10:04 PM

The tecnu ivy wash works if you use it right away after being exposed, said to use within 2 to 8 hours. It may help some if used within 8 hours but really needs to be used within an hour if possible. [Linked Image]
Once you have the rash this is the best thing I have found. Use it three times a day and it will be gone in three days. [Linked Image]
It also works on tick and chigger bites, as I am highly allergic to the little suckers I really like the All Stop !

A guy that I work with uses the brake cleaner for a preventative and swears by it. I would be worried about getting blood poisoning or something, that stuff is wicked !
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 05/01/19 10:13 PM

Pee on the affected area. ...... This could be for jelly fish stings ... not sure right now, but pee on it just in case, even if just for entertainment value ..... No pics though
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 05/01/19 10:15 PM

New product out this year,Zanfel. Works wonders takes away the itch ~ 30 seconds.
Posted By: MB750

Re: Poison Ivy rash remedy - 05/01/19 10:29 PM

Ho to get rid of poison ivy,
Jump in a tub of hot, as hot as you can stand it water. Take a wash rag and get it real soapy. Scrub the afflicted area until it is almost sore. Get out of the tub, Dry off with a clean towel. I mean rub it dry. Then spray the poison ivy with Lysol spray. You might bounce off the walls for a while, but we are all tough on Trapperman so it won't bother anyone too much.

it works for me.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums