Home

Otter addiction

Posted By: Shedhunt

Otter addiction - 04/12/19 09:17 PM

I know there is a lot of guys/women that try and kill a turkey in every state or as many as they can. I was just wondering if any of you try and trap otter in as many states as you can? I think it would be neat to have a fur hanger or two full of otter hides from different states. Have cites tags from different states. Maybe I'm just goofy in the head.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Otter addiction - 04/12/19 09:19 PM

If your gonna spend all that time and money travelling around you should add coon to the list,maybe a beaver, mink and rat too.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Otter addiction - 04/12/19 09:22 PM

i admit it's on my mind as i get older and things aren't about money as much anymore.all furbearers that is.heck,i'd even like to get a nute to have tanned.

Re: Otter addiction - 04/12/19 09:30 PM

Yep it would be something that would cost money not a money maker. But have fun doing it.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Otter addiction - 04/12/19 09:47 PM

Lots of money tied up in travel and out of state licenses. But you would get to see and trap,in a lot of different country.

You could keep notes and write a book about your adventure. Recoup some of your expenses that way. smile
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Otter addiction - 04/12/19 10:54 PM

Who reads books anymore.
Get a good utubee channel going and some viewers (that don't deleat commercial) so you can make 6 cents per view, and have a weekly tour. Much like Ice Road muckers did.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Otter addiction - 04/12/19 11:01 PM

I read books!!

Most U tube videos I've seen are terribly done. The music is annoying or the person talking has terrible verbal skins. I'm sure they are some good ones out there but I've yet to find most of those.

Re: Otter addiction - 04/12/19 11:32 PM

I also prefer books to a screen-much easier to reference anywhere anytime.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Otter addiction - 04/13/19 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Who reads books anymore.
Get a good utubee channel going and some viewers (that don't deleat commercial) so you can make 6 cents per view, and have a weekly tour. Much like Ice Road muckers did.

I read books all the time.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Otter addiction - 04/13/19 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
If your gonna spend all that time and money travelling around you should add coon to the list,maybe a beaver, mink and rat too.

If you set for otter here you are going to catch beaver, rat, nute and coon. Unless you want to buy some magic otter dust, then you can add a possum.
Posted By: Sheepdog1

Re: Otter addiction - 04/13/19 06:46 AM

I read a lot of books now a days.

If you decide to come to Texas I can put you in amongst otter, beaver, possibly a mink and as many coyotes and cats as you can stand. The otter and beaver I have places I can still trap while deer season is going on. One is right in town. In one season this little golden spot netted me 58 beaver and 18 otter. Not bad for a place in town.
Posted By: *44

Re: Otter addiction - 04/13/19 09:53 AM

I like trapping different States. I’ve caught otter in 3, and cats in 4 different States. Texas is my favorite place, but have not water trapped there yet. I like to see new ground and trap new areas just to see if I can succeed...... I say go for that next State and do it ASAP while (we’re) physically able. What’s wrong with a trapping vacation? People spend hundreds or even thousands on hunts every year and think nothing of it. Do it and take lots of pictures!

Re: Otter addiction - 04/13/19 01:28 PM

I only live a mile from the U.P of Michigan but being a resident of Wisconsin we can't trap otter there. And Minnesota being on the other side, we can't trap that either. In Wisconsin we have to apply for otter tag's and the last couple of years every one got a tag and some got two. How does it work in your state?
Posted By: *44

Re: Otter addiction - 04/13/19 01:51 PM

AR is unlimited and has the same laws for NR’s
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Otter addiction - 04/13/19 03:31 PM

Washington is crawling with otters....so load up your cages!

But my trapping vacation fantasy is to go work south Chile's beaver population for a month or two. Problem is I'm picking strawberries and blueberries that time of year, or at least the time of year they are prime.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Otter addiction - 04/23/19 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Washington is crawling with otters....so load up your cages!

But my trapping vacation fantasy is to go work south Chile's beaver population for a month or two. Problem is I'm picking strawberries and blueberries that time of year, or at least the time of year they are prime.

Is that Patagonia, and what would you do with them?
Posted By: waggler

Re: Otter addiction - 04/23/19 06:12 PM

My bucket list is; wolverine which shouldn't be too hard to do, the more difficult ones will be gray fox, ringtail cat (bassarisk), Canada lynx and ????
What am I missing?
Currently checked off the list:
muskrat
beaver
ermine
mink
nutria
otter
marten
fisher
striped skunk
spotted skunk
red fox
wolf
red squirrel
bobcat
raccoon
opossum
coyote

Re: Otter addiction - 04/23/19 06:28 PM

Badger.Arctic fox.Coyote.Swift fox.
Posted By: TNcat

Re: Otter addiction - 04/23/19 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Who reads books anymore.

I read books almost every day.. No comment on you tube.. lol
Posted By: waggler

Re: Otter addiction - 04/23/19 07:07 PM

Badger.Arctic fox.Coyote.Swift fox.

Thanks, forgot to add coyote to the checked-off list. Do blue fox count as arctic fox? If so check that one off the list also.
Badger and swift fox and ringtail, hmm, maybe I could find a place to catch all three??

Re: Otter addiction - 04/23/19 09:21 PM

I think blue fox is a colour phase of the arctic,so I'd say you got that one covered Wag.
Posted By: run

Re: Otter addiction - 04/24/19 10:06 AM

I also prefer books to a screen-much easier to reference anywhere anytime.

I love books too.
Posted By: run

Re: Otter addiction - 04/24/19 10:07 AM

I read books every day.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums