Home

Invasive honeysuckle

Posted By: AJE

Invasive honeysuckle - 04/13/19 12:02 PM

Anyone planning on tackling that sprawling nuisance this year? I am. I'm trying to decide on a chemical to use for the cut stump treatment of it, and that annoying native prickly ash.
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/13/19 12:39 PM

I'm in the middle of a TSI cutting and cut all honeysuckle and several other trees that need killin. Tordon is what I use. It works great but don't get carried away real close to your good trees.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/13/19 12:40 PM

for cut stump on honeysuckle use 20% glyphosate. Honeysuckle is very susceptible to Glyphosate.
I'd try the same for the prickly ash. I used that mix on some prickly ash last fall, too early to tell if it worked.

The other choice I'd look at is Garlon 4 mixed with diesel as a basal bark application.
Posted By: Craig S.

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/13/19 12:49 PM

“Tordon ”is your friend here... a couple drops is all it takes.I had buchthorn taking over my small woods bad when i first bought my house. I started off by completely cutting down the tree and applying to the stump which works, but is a lot more labor initially handling and hauling the brush. I just wanted the trees dead and not spreading more. Now I started slash the bark with a hatchet and brushing the liquid on the fresh cut with a paintbrush . As time allows and where needed ill cut them down later and burn them .

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/13/19 01:58 PM

I ruled out Tordon becsuse it appeared to be killing nearby trees when I was using several years ago.
Posted By: #11

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/13/19 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty D
for cut stump on honeysuckle use 20% glyphosate. Honeysuckle is very susceptible to Glyphosate.
I'd try the same for the prickly ash. I used that mix on some prickly ash last fall, too early to tell if it worked.

This man speak wisdom grasshopper, listen to him!
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/13/19 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
I ruled out Tordon becsuse it appeared to be killing nearby trees when I was using several years ago.

I had the same issue here, lost some sawtooth oak I planted and it is real tough on tulip that doesn't seem that close. I started spraying it with crossbow. After I cut it and it starts growing again or after I burn off a section of warm season grass I spray what comes back.

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/13/19 04:05 PM

So just buy a bottle of this product and apply it to the cut stump and root collar of honey suckle (and maybe prickly ash), using the product straight up (1 application) with no water mixed in?

https://www.roundup.com/en-us/products/large-area/roundup-weed-grass-killer-concentrate-plus
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/13/19 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by AJE

So just buy a bottle of this product and apply it to the cut stump and root collar of honey suckle (and maybe prickly ash), using the product straight up (1 application) with no water mixed in?

https://www.roundup.com/en-us/products/large-area/roundup-weed-grass-killer-concentrate-plus

I don't want to kill grass and I am using a big sprayer and tank on an ATV. If it's a 10 foot bush it will kill it without hurting the warm season grass around it.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/13/19 08:31 PM

Cut them off as short as you can, then a can with a 50/50 mix of glyphosate, (Round-up) and diesel fuel, with a stick and a sponge on the end for a dauber, will kill them for sure.

If you don't want the chemicals in your ground, cut them off about 2' high to leave a handle, and cut the roots around the base with a Mattock to remove the stump. A little more work but works really well, and is cheaper.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/13/19 10:54 PM

Fertilize it and let the deer get rid of it for you.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/14/19 12:09 AM

Gly kills it dead. Young plants pull very easily too.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/14/19 12:21 AM

cut about 6 inches above grade and treat the fresh cuts with herbicide.

we did about a bunch with the pull method and far to much came back.
Posted By: run

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/14/19 12:28 AM

I would use 2 goats or more if you need them. There's a business nearby me called brush busters. Brush busters is a goat farmer that takes his goats to brushy areas and grazes the invasive species back under control.

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/14/19 12:32 AM

There's some goat businesses in the Wis area but none by me. I could get my own goat, but probably won't.

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/27/19 05:55 AM

I bought some red cap Roundup today (the 18% glyphosate stuff). The honeysuckle is really greening up around my house. Once it leafs out, I'll be ready to cut stump treat as much as I can. That darn honeysuckle sure is a sprawling nuisance.
Posted By: Clark

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/27/19 11:54 AM

Buy a “Buckthorn blaster” to apply any herbicide to a cut stump. It’s basically a bingo dauber and allows you to control how much product is actually used without accidentally spilling. Pretty cheap and easy to use.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/27/19 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by AJE

No.
Don't buy Round-up. Its over priced. That particular one is only 19% Glyphosate.
I go to Fleet Farm and buy Gordons brand. I thinks it called "brush Killer" Look on the label, active ingredients, Glyphosate. Its 41% glyphosate, its alot cheaper and more effective than round-up.

I mix it half with water. Cause its 41% when mixed half and half that gives you 20% active ingredient.

Then yes, cut the honeysuckle and treat the cut stump just around the outside to get the area where the bark meets the wood of the plant. Treat as soon as possible after cutting.
I cut one treat move on to the next one and so on.

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/27/19 03:28 PM

Thanks Dirty D.

Clark, I bought some of those blasters last year but haven't used them yet. They were highly recommended by a DNR forester.
Posted By: Wife

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/27/19 04:45 PM

Glyphosate mixed with a lot of other substances (oil) has an antagonistic reaction greatly reducing its effectiveness. That is why for commercial use, you "soften" even the sprayer water with Ammonium Sulfate. The Nebraska Herbicide Guide lists 2,4 - D (an oil derived herbicide) mixed with diesel/fuel oil as a cut stump treatment for hard to kill species any time of year. Honeysuckle is extremely sensitive to 2,4 - D when applied to an actively growing plant (leaves and bark). So much so that the Nebraska Tree program and the Natural Resource District Tree programs stopped selling it as a conservation shrub years ago.The slight spray drift from an adjoining crop field or pasture was enough to kill even mature plants so it was discontinued. Tordon RTU (Ready To Use) is registered for cut stump application but will damage or kill close trees if the root systems from the not treated trees overlaps with the target tree roots. The 2,4 - D mix is safer for the surrounding grasses and woody species and has no residual for replanting a desirable species that growing season. I have used all 3 mixes and now use the 2,4 - D mix around the house/farm/windbreaks with peace of mind... the mike
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/27/19 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Craig S.
“Tordon ”is your friend here... a couple drops is all it takes.I had buchthorn taking over my small woods bad when i first bought my house. I started off by completely cutting down the tree and applying to the stump which works, but is a lot more labor initially handling and hauling the brush. I just wanted the trees dead and not spreading more. Now I started slash the bark with a hatchet and brushing the liquid on the fresh cut with a paintbrush . As time allows and where needed ill cut them down later and burn them .

gonna try that have a lot of Autumn Olive
Posted By: farmnhunt

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/28/19 01:37 AM

Remedy and diesel

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/28/19 05:12 AM

I don't normally haul them to a burn pile Craig. Too easy to spread the seeds, making the invasion potentially worse. Now I just let them rot where I cut them.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/28/19 09:35 AM

[Linked Image]

Used the cut-back method and sprayed earlier in the week- we'll see what happens. Trying to educate the neighbors but I'm not sure they're as motivated.

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/28/19 03:22 PM

I've been told by many professionals that this is a bad time of year to treat honeysuckle, since all the energy in the tree is flowing upward, until it fully leafs out.

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 06/22/19 03:06 AM

I may start treating honeysuckle soon, but wild parsnip is next on my 'to do' list, as the experts around here say to spray that poisonis parsnip between ~June 15 and 30.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 06/22/19 02:07 PM

24D won't harm grass, but kills broadleaf and brush, spray it during full leaf so it absorbs enough to kill the roots.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 06/22/19 08:05 PM

When I do a brush job, I add a bottle or 2 of dollar store food coloring in the tank so I can see which stumps I've hit already.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 06/23/19 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by BigBob
When I do a brush job, I add a bottle or 2 of dollar store food coloring in the tank so I can see which stumps I've hit already.

That's a good idea. It's real easy to miss a stump or more, when you've cut a lot of brush.

Keith
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 06/23/19 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Originally Posted by BigBob

That's a good idea. It's real easy to miss a stump or more, when you've cut a lot of brush.

Keith

X2, yet another great idea I would have missed out on if it weren't for Tman.
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 06/23/19 03:57 AM

I use Pathway for stump treatment on hedge, American elm, and honey locust. I’ve never had surrounding tree mortality. Just a little on the cambium layer and I’ve never had a stump sprout back out of thousands of trees.

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 07/05/19 05:11 PM

Now that I got the wild parsnip sprayed, I probably should get after the honeysuckle.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 07/05/19 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
Now that I got the wild parsnip sprayed, I probably should get after the honeysuckle.

what are you using for the wild parsnip ? seems to be all over on the roadsides this year bad.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 07/05/19 06:45 PM

I cut it off 10'' above the soil and treated the stumps- works great from February to April. If you do it in the afternoon it works best.
i sprayed the bark with cross bow and garlan mixed with a surfactant with ok results.
I have also used 20% Glyphosate but it wont work at all past he growing stage.
Right now the best way is cut and treat with Tordon.

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 07/06/19 01:01 AM

Roundup for the wild parsnip, definitely. I happen to use the brush grade (yellow cap) Roundup. It's probably too late now though. The key is to hit it starting 6/15 until maybe around 6/30, before it goes to seed. 1 treatment kills it. Yes, it's terrible stuff, and it's taking over in many parts of the state.

I stopped using Tordon for honeysuckle. It seems to have too great of a potential to kill neighboring desirable trees. I haven't decided what to use for honeysuckle this year, but I do cut stump treatment as well, though I cut lower than 10".
Posted By: nt2

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 07/06/19 02:08 AM

The honeysuckle is getting a good start in eastern Kansas. I didn't know what the stuff was until I read about it here a while back. I knew I had a problem with something I had never seen before and now know it is honeysuckle. On a hunch, I tried a 2 gallon sprayer with Grazon at the time it was blooming on a bunch of the bushes that were up to 8 feet tall. It killed all the bushes I tried it on and I sprayed 2- 15 gallon sprayers full this past week to hopefully get a lot of what I have on creek banks. I mix a quart of Grazon in 15 gallons of water and hit as many of the leaves as I can.

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 07/06/19 03:33 AM

Yes, it's very annoying stuff nt2. Most people aren't able to identify it until it's out of control.

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 07/20/19 02:46 AM

I find buckthorn to be spread faster than honeysuckle.

Re: Invasive honeysuckle - 04/26/20 01:38 AM

I pulled a bunch of honeysuckle today. It pulls easier than I realized. Darn sprawling nuisance...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums