Home

Fisher Kill Lynx (Podcast)

Posted By: Jeremiah Wood

Fisher Kill Lynx (Podcast) - 04/14/19 01:43 AM

http://trappingtoday.com/fisher-kill-lynx-podcast-episode-73/

I went into detail on the study, and provided plenty of my opinions. I know this was kind of a controversial topic, but it's also really fascinating research. Hope you enjoy!
Posted By: Posco

Re: Fisher Kill Lynx (Podcast) - 04/14/19 03:40 AM

You did a fine job and I did enjoy it. I'll be looking for some of your other podcasts.
Posted By: Jonnytrapper

Re: Fisher Kill Lynx (Podcast) - 04/14/19 03:47 AM

Always enjoy the podcast. Thanks!
Posted By: nyhuntfish

Re: Fisher Kill Lynx (Podcast) - 04/14/19 12:03 PM

I love your podcast. Thank you.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Fisher Kill Lynx (Podcast) - 04/14/19 01:00 PM

I thought it was a great podcast and very interesting. Full of good and solid info.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Fisher Kill Lynx (Podcast) - 04/14/19 03:51 PM

In 2016 I hung a bunch of beavers in the North Maine Woods. Several had lynx visits and most had fisher & marten visits. Lynx are frequently caught in coyote sets with stinky coyote bait. If you are in the lynx zone there is nothing that can be done to stop a lynx from traveling near you or your trap. When pole sets were legal I had several lynx come to the pole but none attempted to climb. I'm sure that does not apply to a hungry lynx near starvation. The lynx study area (almost 200 caught for the study) was four townships which is less than 3% of the North Maine Woods and less than 0.4% of the state of Maine. IMO we have many thousands of Lynx in Maine. Lynx need delisted in Maine & killing a few each year would not affect the population. After nine years of trapping coyotes in the lynx zone I can pretty much avoid them. Not so for everyone, a friend of mine decided to go deep into the big woods and set coyote traps. He caught four lynx last fall. One last story, five or six years ago we had a fresh snow and I thought it would be a good time to look for new areas to trap fisher. I just drove around for a few hours and found two or three fisher tracks and 10-15 lynx tracks. Where I trap we can kill unlimited bobcats and we have none (well maybe a few). We have lynx everywhere and can kill none. After I get my taxes finished I need to listen to the pod cast.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AJE

Re: Fisher Kill Lynx (Podcast) - 04/14/19 04:01 PM

Interesting.

I wonder if fisher kill bobcats.

Re: Fisher Kill Lynx (Podcast) - 04/14/19 11:49 PM

Glad you guys enjoyed it!

Re: Fisher Kill Lynx (Podcast) - 04/15/19 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by ebsurveyor
If you are in the lynx zone there is nothing that can be done to stop a lynx from traveling near you or your trap.

I'm in southern Aroostook a hundred air miles or so from where you trap. I saw just one lynx track this winter and it was within a couple hundred yards of one of my sets. Luckily for me, it missed the set and I avoided the hassle of having to get the wardens involved. Twenty-five miles from here lynx sightings are quite common and a friend of mine gets them routinely on his scouting cameras. I've seen one lynx in the wild and have never picked one up on camera. I've captured several pics of bobcat and fisher.
Posted By: bfisch

Re: Fisher Kill Lynx (Podcast) - 04/15/19 01:13 AM

I was very skeptical, but the study seems well done and the evidence is convincing. I would be curious to know how many times the fisher failed (no way to know that I can think of) or it ended the other way around. Although I am not sure that a lynx would seek to eat a fisher unless it was starving. If fisher were also collared and studied at the same time you would think that they would have stated fisher depredation by lynx, but it was not mentioned and therefore I must conclude that it did not happen during the study. All I can say is the fact that the lynx were caught unawares makes a lot of sense!

Re: Fisher Kill Lynx (Podcast) - 04/15/19 01:25 AM

A hundred yards and a few months apart.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Fisher Kill Lynx (Podcast) - 04/15/19 06:01 AM

Nice job with the pod cast "jwood".
Posted By: Rusty Newhouse

Re: Fisher Kill Lynx (Podcast) - 04/17/19 11:38 PM

That is a good podcast.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Fisher Kill Lynx (Podcast) - 04/19/19 02:07 AM

I enjoy listening to your podcast to pass the time. A lot of the animals don't pertain to me in the middle of the US, but I find it interesting.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Fisher Kill Lynx (Podcast) - 04/19/19 03:03 PM

Where is that guy from Ontario? He knows everything!
Posted By: beezmador

Re: Fisher Kill Lynx (Podcast) - 04/19/19 03:33 PM

Nice job Jwood - enjoy your podcast and that one was especially well researched and informational.

Re: Fisher Kill Lynx (Podcast) - 04/20/19 10:03 PM

Thanks guys, I'm glad you enjoyed it and it was informative.

Working on this week's episode right now........some in-depth insights on DP trapping and more from Ron Jones.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums