Home

Rear drag reels

Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Rear drag reels - 04/16/19 01:00 AM

Dad had a shimano rear drag and I bought him a new for Christmas a couple of years ago, they were hard to find. I was wondering if anyone else liked them, and if not why?
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Rear drag reels - 04/16/19 01:03 AM

I have a few,,love them !!! Been using them for 20 yrs
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Rear drag reels - 04/16/19 01:31 AM

Wish they still made the Cardinal 3s and 4s.
Posted By: bowhunterks

Re: Rear drag reels - 04/16/19 01:40 AM

Been using the rear drag shimano's for years good reels easy to adjust drag while working the fish.

DanN had a rear drag shimano reel for sale in the trap shed some time back
Posted By: Fishhunt223

Re: Rear drag reels - 04/16/19 05:16 AM

I love rear drag spinning reels. It is a shame that everyone has moved away from them. I still have a couple of old pflueger reels, but I’m not sure if they are still manufacturing one with a rear drag. Like everything these days, the front drag is easier/cheaper to manufacture, so that’s what we end up with.
Posted By: John C

Re: Rear drag reels - 04/16/19 10:01 AM

Front drag reels have a larger drag washer and are easier and cheaper to manufacture. Larger drag surface dissipates heat better than the small ones and last much longer. Maybe cheaper bass pro branded reels will find the rear drags but the better quality reels will always have a front drag.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Rear drag reels - 04/16/19 11:11 AM

I bought the Shimanos about thirty years ago, the black ones. In all those years of guiding I couldn't count the hours on them. Never a hitch with any. There were three sizes if I recall or at least that I have, the biggest being the 2500. I must have half a dozen yet tho I no longer use them only because other manufacturers have equipped me over time.
I think the key to those reels was to turn the drag loose between long periods of non use. Mine were and are still bullet proof.

Osky
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Rear drag reels - 04/16/19 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Osky
I think the key to those reels was to turn the drag loose between long periods of non use. Mine were and are still bullet proof.

Osky

I do that with all my reels. Most of them are front-drag Pflueger’s.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Rear drag reels - 04/16/19 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Originally Posted by Osky

Osky

I do that with all my reels. Most of them are front-drag Pflueger’s.

All should. Those reels with the flat spring washer type drags are especially worn if you do not release them.
It's a habit, I even turn them off now on my Komodos and Tranx tho the systems have greatly evolved.

Osky
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Rear drag reels - 05/01/19 11:46 PM

I’m glad I’m not the only one that likes them, I thought maybe I was really different grin, I do wish I would have bought two when I bought dads its really nice. I do try to loosen them but sometimes I forget.
Posted By: garymc

Re: Rear drag reels - 05/01/19 11:53 PM

I love my 30 year old rear drag Shimano’s.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums