Home

Wisconsin Turkey #'s

Posted By: Strutnut

Wisconsin Turkey #'s - 04/23/19 01:09 PM

Have some extra vacation time this year and was thinking of heading up to Zone 1 for a little extra hunting. Are the numbers of birds looking good this year? I am thinking of going late season on public ground somewhere but am going in blind, should be fun!
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Wisconsin Turkey #'s - 04/23/19 01:35 PM

I'm In the southern area of zone 1 and from what I'm seeing the numbers are way down. Those birds took a real hit last winter with all the freezing rain we had and then a ton of snow dumped on top.
My grand sons are coming from Alaska to hunt with me and we have the 6th season In zone 1 and zone 2 Might be a bit tough but some times It's easier to kill a tom In those late seasons then It Is in those earlier seasons.
My daughter and I hunt this week.
Good luck.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Wisconsin Turkey #'s - 04/23/19 01:56 PM

Agree with Beav. The icy winter, wet springs and predator populations (low dollar coon prices) have all been hard on our turkeys the last couple years.
Posted By: Kre

Re: Wisconsin Turkey #'s - 04/23/19 11:51 PM

You should go to northern Wisconsin along the up border. Then you get away from a lot of idiots and can do some walleye fishing too.

Way too many turkeys in this state so please come up and kill some
Posted By: Strutnut

Re: Wisconsin Turkey #'s - 04/24/19 09:09 PM

Thanks for the responses. Last season has plenty of tags for both area 1 & 3.
Posted By: WIMarshRAT

Re: Wisconsin Turkey #'s - 04/24/19 11:56 PM

I hunt in zone 3 and the last season can be lots of fun. Almost any landowner will give you permission for the last season if you ask nicely. Put on some miles and ask the landowners that have the birds. I have shot my biggest birds during that last season. Reaping those late season birds can be a lot of fun as those dominate birds have key strutting areas and don't like to be invaded!

© 2024 Trapperman Forums