Home

I am Not a scope snob

Posted By: g smith

I am Not a scope snob - 04/27/19 06:04 PM

My budget is $175 .I want 4x12 with side focus (parallax adjustment ) I need the side focus . Not picky on the reticle or the objective lens size but want capped adjustment knobs .This will probably not be "known brand " but there might be a sleeper startup company ! signed skinflint
Posted By: Sask hunter

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/27/19 06:09 PM

Nikon pro staff should be close to that budget. They are really good scopes for the $$$. I have one in my 22-250 300 mag and 338 win mag
Posted By: swift4me

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/27/19 07:23 PM

If I was hunting sheep in the mountains of Alaska or in the Rockies and expected a long shot in bad conditions, I understand buying the best, because if you have the money to chase sheep you can spend the money in most cases.

I was a Swarovski dealer for 8 years and never bought myself a pair, (wholesale being not much cheaper than Cabela's retail price in all honesty), as I never needed them. I do appreciate the difference at the highest level of optics, but I never needed it for the hunting that I did. I have some Nikons now that do everything I need. If I was a guide who had clients looking for horns, of course I would need the best.

God bless everyone who buys them and enjoys them. Good for the economy.

Twenty years ago I had the luck to sit next to Didier Swarovski on a plane in Argentina and smoke his cigarettes and discuss the optics business in the US. He was a very nice man and generous with his wine. He thought at the time that birders would spend more money than hunters for fine optics.

Pete
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/27/19 09:51 PM

Big difference between cheap and quality glass you can't hit well if you can't see well!
Posted By: BillyTraps

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/27/19 10:27 PM

These have worked well for me.. When I dont want to spend $600 on a scope for the kids.
https://www.amazon.com/Burris-42mm-...;qid=1556403734&s=gateway&sr=8-1
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/27/19 11:52 PM

I have had expensive scopes on rifles and the more reasonable scopes on rifles. I have sent the expensive scopes back to the factory more often then a more reasonable scopes.
Posted By: Posco

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/27/19 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by swift4me
He thought at the time that birders would spend more money than hunters for fine optics.

I'll bet they do.
Posted By: James

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/28/19 12:07 AM

Sorry, guys. In rifle scopes, like many other things, you get what you pay for.

A low-priced scope may suit the conditions under which you hunt, but recognize you could save up your money a bit longer and buy higher quality.

Jim
Posted By: Birch Tree

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/28/19 01:53 AM

I like Vortex, Nikon and Leopold scopes, I also own a Burris M TAC on an LAR 308 and it is a nice scope. All have scopes in the mid budget like from 180 on up.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/28/19 02:14 AM

being that you want side focus bushnell and Athalon are about the only 2 offer side focus and that fit your budget if you would go front focus you could add Hawke to the list

if you don't need the focus and I haven't found a big need for it on My Vortex 4-12 then you could find something in a Nikon or Vortex
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/28/19 02:33 AM

For 175 bucks, i would save up my money a bit more. I have done the cheap scope route for many years because it was all i could afford. I dont own any of those scopes anymore. The leupold vx freedom series would probably be about the cheapest i would consider, but they dont fit your specs. A low end burris or nikon as mentioned already would be looking into maybe. I would rather just shoot iron sights than waste money on a cheap scope though. Nothing but trouble.

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/28/19 04:47 AM

I have 2 of the Vortex 4x12 with AO the are great for what I do except I have difficulty twisting the bell due to an old injury .Thats why I want the side focus. Thanks for the suggestions ,looks like I will try the Bushy ! I will let you know how the gophers like it .
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/29/19 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by g smith
I have 2 of the Vortex 4x12 with AO the are great for what I do except I have difficulty twisting the bell due to an old injury .Thats why I want the side focus. Thanks for the suggestions ,looks like I will try the Bushy ! I will let you know how the gophers like it .

If daytime gophers are what you need it for, I less expensive scope will work fine. The high dollar scopes really shine in low light conditions, or looking toward a recent sunset.
Posted By: schmattz

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/29/19 05:01 PM

If you have a Scheel's near by, their brand scopes are reasonably priced and they stand by their free replacement no matter the cause. I run over a pair of binos with the 4 wheeler and they didn't even ask questions and just gave me a new pair off the shelf the same day and they supposedly do the same with scopes.

Schmattz
Posted By: charles

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/29/19 07:02 PM

Try to find a good used scope with a lifetime guarantee. Send it back to the company to be checked out.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/29/19 07:24 PM

Amazon . look for cvlife scope. For the price the glass is not half bad. Give them a shot if you wish.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/29/19 08:07 PM

When you buy quality, you only cry once !
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/29/19 09:16 PM

I have a Bushnell 4-12 with the twist adjust ao it is actually the replacement for an early 2000s Bushnell 4-12 that broke after about 15 years, Bushnell honored their warranty and sent me the new scope when the old one broke
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/30/19 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by TraderVic
When you buy quality, you only cry once !

Well stated. After you shoot with a high quality scope, those tears dry right up and you are left with nothing but smiles.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/30/19 03:10 AM

If I were you I'd buy a used Vortex as expensive as you can afford. Then, someday if you break it you get a new one
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/30/19 04:15 PM

I put Burris on everything.
You can go on ebay and get some pretty good deals.
Lifetime warranty and they work great.
Posted By: montana17

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 04/30/19 06:41 PM

Simmons predator quest 4.5 18x44mmw with 30mm tube. Best (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) scope I own for the money! I have a Vortex 6x24 Viper HD I am extremely disappointed in, I also have a Zeiss Conquest 4.5 x14.5 (Very nice scope, but expensive!) . All mounted on my predator rifles. The Simmons has been on the same rifle for 8 years and haven't had to sight it in since mounting it. The gun rides in my work truck from September to March, 70 percent of the time on gravel and two track trails. The rest of time it sits by the back sliding door for the coyotes that decide to venture into the yard. The vortex I have to check before I do any calling with it. It is always off. They are very close to your price range. If you look on Ebay I have seen them new for around the $180 dollar mark.

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 05/02/19 02:33 AM

I do thank you for your help on this scope stuff .I am working on a ranch now and the owner has some 8x30 Swarovski binos on the table ,yep they be good But I see the same stuff with my Leopold Cascades . Dead is dead ,seeing is seeing . More bucks is not always better unless you got lots of them .

Re: I am Not a scope snob - 05/14/19 01:53 AM

I got a Weaver Kaspa 4x16 x44 with side focus. Put it on my 22-250 SPS varmint.It is clear and tracks good to sight it in. Lots of eye relief ,I need more shooting to nail down the hash marks.For $122.50 I am a happy camper so far !
© 2024 Trapperman Forums