Home

VW Jedi TDI

Posted By: Michael Lippold

VW Jedi TDI - 04/29/19 07:07 PM

Probably going to have to replace my daily driver. Local diesel shop has a couple jettas for sale, anybody have any opinions on them? Good or bad
Posted By: Drifter

Re: VW Jedi TDI - 04/29/19 08:02 PM

Knew a guy had one and drove it until it wouldn't go anymore. Got to keep up on the timing belt or can bend valves or worse. Thinking got over 40 MPG but sure don't forget and feed it gas.
Posted By: dirthole90

Re: VW Jedi TDI - 04/29/19 08:04 PM

Best running car I have ever had 2003 vw Jetta tdi
Posted By: Michigander

Re: VW Jedi TDI - 04/29/19 08:40 PM

They are great little cars. My dad bought one back in 08 or so with 180k on it and we ran it everywhere until a couple years ago when the timing belt let loose and blew up. I think it had north of 350K when that happened. Every 100k or so you should change the belts out. We always got 45+ mpg no matter how hard you ran it. My brother and a couple of his buddies currently have a fleet of 10 for parts/projects. The parts are pretty cheap and easy to find and they aren't very hard to work on.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: VW Jedi TDI - 04/29/19 09:10 PM

a friend had a Golf tdi , he loved it problem was he got more deer with that car than with a rifle so it didn't last quite as long as he wanted. but he was regularly getting 48mpg he always wanted to put the vegetable oil kit in but never got around to it.

another friend had a jetta TDI they liked the car but were very mad when the whole not passing emissions thing happened , I said why you don't need to get emissions checked in your county , he complained about how much value the car lost virtually over night. I said just drive it till it is in the ground and you won't have lost a dime.

however he is in a wheel chair and his wife drives him to work and she is a school teacher , since she started teaching about 10 years ago she doesn't want to repeat the good old days 20 years ago when they were broke and driving a car that broke down so she wants a new car ever 5 years , so he is still broke but not broke down.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: VW Jedi TDI - 04/29/19 09:19 PM

I had a 01' Passat that I loved. Comfortable, nice features, good gas mileage. Wish I would've kept it.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: VW Jedi TDI - 04/29/19 09:58 PM

Timing belts at 70,000, if they don't know if it's been done recently with proof have it done. It's not a cheap fix, probably north of 700 unless you can do it yourself. I don't think it's all that hard to do. If the belt breaks it's over.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: VW Jedi TDI - 04/29/19 10:01 PM

I had a bunch of GTI's and regular VW rabbits. Drive it like you stole it and they run forever. Pamper them and you will have problems.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: VW Jedi TDI - 04/30/19 11:37 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Good info
Posted By: run

Re: VW Jedi TDI - 05/01/19 12:22 AM

There's a forum for VW TDI enthusiasts. It's tdiclub.com
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: VW Jedi TDI - 05/01/19 12:30 AM

I do not know what models of VW our old mail man had but both are still running with over 300,000 miles. Both are diesel.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums