Home

Favorite Dog Proof Trap

Posted By: Siegs

Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 04/30/19 06:14 PM

Looking at picking up some new dog proof traps. What is your favorite dog proof and why? Thanks. -Bryce
Posted By: niteprowler

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 04/30/19 06:24 PM

Freedom Brand from FnT . I believe it is called like the number #2 dogproof that has the plate on the back of the trap that basicly sets its self when you push that in.

The reason why is because it is so easy and fast to set.

I also have had good results in the past with the Original Grizz Getrz DP traps.And also good results with the Duke DP.
Posted By: lcd

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 04/30/19 07:28 PM

COON DAGGER. It is high quality with many great features, and it is American made.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 04/30/19 08:29 PM

I’m a Ztrap fan. I really like the trigger and powder coat
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 04/30/19 08:44 PM

Grizz
Posted By: Railroader

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 04/30/19 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pawnee

X2 on the ztrap

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 04/30/19 08:52 PM

I have used Duke DP’s in the past and I really like the powder coate but I have had coons bend the dogs multiple tomes and had to get on the vise to fix them.
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 04/30/19 08:58 PM

I LOVE Duke DP's! I caught lots of 'coons in them without a problem. In my opinion the best DP on the market.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 04/30/19 09:35 PM

My favorite is made in USA. Don't want no Asian traps.
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 04/30/19 09:54 PM

I certainly haven't used them all, but the Dukes have been excellent.

WS
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 04/30/19 10:41 PM

Coon shackles
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 04/30/19 11:09 PM

NO-BS dogproofs. Well thought out and strong. Reinforced dog and come with chained Wolffangs. And, all at about $100.00 per dozen.
Posted By: farmnhunt

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 04/30/19 11:38 PM

Z traps are my favorite. Brown if in an area with others, White are easy to see and speed check from the truck/atv.
Posted By: run

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 05/01/19 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by tjm

What kind of dp do you like as in brand name?

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 05/01/19 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by run
Originally Posted by tjm

What kind of dp do you like as in brand name?

X2. I’ve heard good things about coon daggers but seem pretty expensive when you have to get a bunch.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 05/01/19 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Originally Posted by Pawnee

X2 on the ztrap

Me also
Posted By: Big George W

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 05/01/19 02:56 PM

I bought a few of those FB push pull DP traps that F&T sells, only to find out they are illegal in CT [!!] so I then bought a combination of Duke and the FB pull type DP traps, and as the one person above mentioned - the Freedom Brand traps are fairly easy to set.

From a design standpoint, I like the push pull trigger set up, but again.. since those are not legal here in CT... I can't use them - so, with me the jury is still out....

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 05/01/19 03:00 PM

What do you guy's use as an anchoring system for your dp's? I have used a J-Hook with a cable and a loop so I can tie it around a tree or in some places I use a cement brick. Seems like Earth Anchors seem to be a bit of a hassle for these coons sets. Let me know what you recommend.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 05/01/19 03:00 PM

Somewhere I heard some states were going to ban the dps that fired when you push or pull. Only going to allow the pull type. Not sure why that would matter on what makes the trap fire.

I haven't tried all these mentioned, but of the ones I've tried, I like the original Griz.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 05/01/19 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Siegs
What do you guy's use as an anchoring system for your dp's? I have used a J-Hook with a cable and a loop so I can tie it around a tree or in some places I use a cement brick. Seems like Earth Anchors seem to be a bit of a hassle for these coons sets. Let me know what you recommend.

Rebar or fence staples. Fence staples are very handy and convenient. Cheap too.
Posted By: lcd

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 05/01/19 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Siegs

BERKSHIRE DISPOSABLE STAKES.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 05/01/19 04:14 PM

I look for a small tree or use Pogo anchors.
Posted By: 50fps

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 05/01/19 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
Somewhere I heard some states were going to ban the dps that fired when you push or pull. Only going to allow the pull type. Not sure why that would matter on what makes the trap fire.

I haven't tried all these mentioned, but of the ones I've tried, I like the original Griz.

It's all about dog tongues or there ability to put their paw in one.
Posted By: Big George W

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 05/01/19 06:19 PM

CT has a ban on push pull traps....
As for stakes, we're limited to that as well - well, maybe not... as I'm going through our regs and it's 6 inch chain max for padded metal traps, while DPs are not really spelled out.

Where I was going with this is I've seen some trappers on video in other states use drags with their DPs, or staple them to a good strong tree root or wire them off a tree.
I would use those T bar rebar stakes if I feel they won't come out, but I'm thinking earth anchors are a better option as those I trust to stay in the ground.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Favorite Dog Proof Trap - 05/03/19 07:40 PM

A ban on push trigger traps would be a general ban on all footholds and body grips?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums