Home

Measles Experts

Posted By: YamaCat

Measles Experts - 05/01/19 12:28 AM

Pretty sure I had both types of Measles when I was a kid. Should a guy still need the MMC vaccine as an old Geezer, with the recent influx of the crap going around ??
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Measles Experts - 05/01/19 01:16 AM

Me and the wife were just talking about this at supper. I do think a booster could be required. Quick call to your doc office could confirm that.
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Measles Experts - 05/01/19 01:43 AM

I had it a couple of times as a kid. I didn't think it was a big deal but they sure do today.
just
Posted By: Dr. Fur

Re: Measles Experts - 05/01/19 01:55 AM

If you had measles, you are immune unless you have an odd immune system.
Posted By: DezertTrapper

Re: Measles Experts - 05/01/19 02:16 AM

Your doc can run a titer to see if you have protection...if not then get another vaccine. A titer is an easy blood test.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Measles Experts - 05/01/19 03:51 AM

I read the other day on a story about measles, that if your were born before 1989, you should have another immu given.

Best to do some research, I was always understood once you had the immu you were ok, but new ones probably are built different now than when I had mine, in the early fifties !
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Measles Experts - 05/01/19 04:48 AM

As of January 2, 2019, there have been 1,258 claims filed so far in the federal Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP) for 82 deaths and 1,176 injuries that occurred after measles vaccination. Of that number, the U.S. Court of Claims administering the VICP has compensated 483 children and adults, who have filed claims for measles vaccine injury.22
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Measles Experts - 05/01/19 04:58 AM

0 deaths from the infection so far in the usa . Of the 704 infected 204 were vaccinated
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Measles Experts - 05/01/19 05:36 AM

Growing up before the moon landing, I was told I had all 3 measles, even if they only list two now strains. There are 21 varieties I have read of. The short answer is if you had measles, you do not need a vaccine.
People should be more concerned about millions of foreigners who are not immune causing an influx of the disease. They spread the disease and the problem is that the German strain if spread to pregnant women will cause birth defects. We had a kid who was born deaf in our community back in the stone ages when she contracted measles when pregnant.
Our mothers in that time used to make sure we were exposed by hauling us over to kids who had measles and chicken pox. The only thing we were vaccinated for was small pox, tb, polio and scarlet fever, the "bad' plagues which could weaken the heart or you did not recover from.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Measles Experts - 05/01/19 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
As of January 2, 2019, there have been 1,258 claims filed so far in the federal Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP) for 82 deaths and 1,176 injuries that occurred after measles vaccination. Of that number, the U.S. Court of Claims administering the VICP has compensated 483 children and adults, who have filed claims for measles vaccine injury.22

With over 300,000,000 Americans having been vaccinated for measels since 1963, 1258 claims is meaningless, unless you or a loved one is one of those very unlucky few.

Keitn
Posted By: EdP

Re: Measles Experts - 05/01/19 11:36 AM

Star your memory is a bit off. No vaccine was ever developed for tuberculosis or for scarlet fever. They are bacterial infections not viral infections.

Re: Measles Experts - 05/01/19 11:46 AM

1 in 4million die from the smallpox vaccine. This is a very small number compared to the deaths that would result in an unvaccinated population.
It is also about the same percentage that died from the measles vaccine IF you accept the 82 claims as being correct. Measles also causes a much higher death rate in unvaccinated populations. The Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) said on September 21, 2018, that 6,629 measles cases, including 72 deaths, from 11 countries have been reported in North, Central, and South America. The vast majority of these measles cases are from Venezuela, which reported 4,605 cases, and 62 deaths. The odds are definitely in favor of getting vaccinated, but there are those unlucky few and I have to wonder if they would have been among those who would have died from the disease anyway.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Measles Experts - 05/01/19 11:59 AM

I don't remember my kids getting smallpox vaccinations. I think they quit giving it unless someone is traveling. I don't think they still give polio either. They still check for tb exposure.

Re: Measles Experts - 05/01/19 12:01 PM

I think scarlet fever is something you get after whooping cough which does have a vaccination. Like getting pneumonia after getting the flu.

Re: Measles Experts - 05/01/19 12:52 PM

Danny, there is a vaccine for whooping cough but scarlet fever is something some people get after strep throat and is caused by the same bacteria, and for which no vaccine has yet been developed. All info readily available via Google search.

Re: Measles Experts - 05/01/19 01:03 PM

thanks ed. I knew it was something like that
© 2024 Trapperman Forums