Home

If this many kids died of measles, guns or Muslims

Posted By: amspoker

If this many kids died of measles, guns or Muslims - 05/01/19 07:00 AM

Instead of the media and government shaming people for not vaccinating kids, or trying ban guns, or starting a Holy Crusade against Islam as others would like, maybe we should try to figure out what is causing this? Imagine if 1.6 million young people had gotten measles in the last 19 years?

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/nat...d-a82d3f3d96d5_story.html?outputType=amp

Suicide attempts using poison have surged among young people, particularly girls

More young people than ever are trying to kill themselves using poison. The rate of attempted suicide by poison has more than doubled among people under 19 in the past decade in the United States and more than tripled for girls and young women 10 to 24.

The new numbers, published Wednesday in the Journal of Pediatrics, come amid an overall rise in suicides nationwide across age groups and gender. But the sudden and sharp rise in poison-related suicide attempts by children and teens has left researchers and health advocates searching for answers.

“There’s something very alarming happening here,” said Henry Spiller, director of the Central Ohio Poison Center and co-author of the study. “Even if we don’t know why it’s happening, it’s a major signal that there are big problems in children’s lives right now and we as a society need to address them.”

Suicide is the 10th-most-common cause of death in the United States and the second- most-common among teenagers and young adults.

Drawing on 19 years of data from 55 poison centers across the country, researchers found that among people 10 to 15, attempted suicides by poison were relatively flat until 2010.

From 2011 to 2018, however, the numbers began to skyrocket, increasing by 141 percent overall. The occurrence among girls was particular pronounced. Among girls 10 to 12, for example, the poison-suicide attempts increased by 338 percent.

suicide poison
suicide poison
Of the 1.6 million suicide attempts by youths examined in the study, more than 1.1 million, or 71 percent, were by girls.

Part of that can be attributed to differences in the methods people use to kill themselves that hold true from adolescents to adults.

Boys and men are more likely to employ violent means such as guns and suffocation. Girls and women are more likely than males to ingest pills or other forms of poison.

The data shows that the rate at which poison-related suicide attempts have resulted in serious injuries or deaths has also increased among young people.

“The numbers are troubling, and it confirms a lot of current concerns about suicide drifting into younger ages,” said Christine Moutier, who is chief medical officer for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and was not involved in the study.

Spiller said he is working on a follow-up study that focuses on what poisonous substances are being used most by young people. So far, he said, “it looks like a wide variety, basically what’s in the home: Tylenol, antihistamines, their parents’ pills, medication for ADHD, anti-depressants.”

Spiller said he and others have overlaid their findings with other data to try to identify why the rates have spiked so sharply since 2011. They studied data from the rise of opioid addiction and deaths in recent years, thinking that the sharp increase could be due to increased access to drugs or fallout from parents’ deaths or addictions. But the timing did not fit precisely — the beginnings of the opioid epidemic traces back years before the 2011 spike.

They also compared it against economic data, but much of the country’s downturn occurred in 2008 or 2009.

“Unfortunately, we can’t definitely answer the why. That’s not how the data works,” said John Ackerman, a co-author and clinical psychologist at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio.

Ackerman and Spiller, however, suspect the sudden increase in recent years has to do with the advent of smartphones and how they have made social media much more pervasive in young people’s lives.

The iPhone 3 came out in 2008, Spiller notes, and the Android phones had come into widespread use by 2011. Adults adopted such devices first, but within a year or two, such smartphones became more common among adolescents.

For years now, across all demographic groups, the death rate from suicide has been rising broadly. Experts cannot easily explain it. There is no single factor driving the phenomenon.

Studies have shown suicidal thoughts among teenagers ages 18 or 19 have increased 46 percent from 2008 to 2017, and suicide attempts among people 22 to 23 have doubled.

“It’s not going to be any one thing that explains these troubling trends,” Moutier said. “And the impact of social media on youth mental health is complex, but the research we’ve seen so far suggests heavy screen time does have an impact on mood, sleep and suicide risk.”

Ackerman at Nationwide Children’s Hospital has been working with 125 middle and high schools in Ohio to help them develop stronger suicide prevention programs.

“There are things we know work, but we haven’t even scratched the surface on implementing them,” he said. For example, he said, universal screening for suicide — simply asking all students a handful of questions, including whether they have had suicidal thoughts — has shown to be effective at identifying those most at risk.

But few schools have such screening programs in place, child advocates say, and there is a shortage of funding, resources and training for suicide prevention in most school systems.

Another obstacle Ackerman said he often sees among parents and school officials in tackling the rising problem of youth suicides is embarrassment, shame or simply fear they won’t know what to say or do.

“There’s this myth that if you talk about suicide you will put it in their minds,” he said. “But that doesn’t solve the problem. You actually reduce the risk when you have a plan for helping kids through these difficult feelings.”

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 07:11 AM

The article lists the advent of personal devices, iPhones, tablets, ect. as coinciding with the begin of the spike in suicides.

Thoughts?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 07:30 AM

well when cell phones first came out there was a lot of talk about them possibly causing brain cancer due to radiation being channeled down the ear canal...………..

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 08:34 AM

In the article they are referring more to the effects of social media, lol.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 12:04 PM

Everything in life has a cause and an effect! I doubt the correlation is far off track!

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 12:11 PM

I think 50 years ago when some hormonally deranged adolescent ate a bottle of aspirin, had to get their stomach pumped, it didn't get reported to the cdc. Dr's thought they were attention seekers and not real suicide attempts. Which I still think is often the case. Most of the time they get hauled into the emergency room because they tell somebody what they have done rather than hide and wait for death.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 12:17 PM

I don't think cell phones are the blame. Poor parenting and academia is where I would look.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 12:30 PM

Momma said cellphones are the Devil!!
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 12:32 PM

In all seriousness social media has definitely had some horrible effect on youth. Susie sleeps with her friends boyfriend and now instead of there class knowing about it you have the whole state calling Susie a Slut
Posted By: KeithC

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 12:34 PM

There is a rise in suicides after people hear about a suicide, which is called "The Werther Effect". The Netflix show called "13 Reasons Why", which is about a teen girls suicide, led to a huge spike in 11 to 17 year olds committing suicide in the US. The number of teen suicides after the show aired was the highest ever. Social media shares news of suicide, causing more suicides, causing new of more suicides to be shared, continuously growing the suicide rate.

School shootings work the same way.

Teens need more positive news to emulate.

Keith
Posted By: k snow

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 12:37 PM

This ^^^

Social and mainstream media are working together to destroy the American fabric of life.

Parenting has been replaced by gov't controlled schooling and technology.

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
There is a rise in suicides after people hear about a suicide, which is called "The Werther Effect". The Netflix show called "13 Reasons Why", which is about a teen girls suicide, led to a huge spike in 11 to 17 year olds committing suicide in the US. The number of teen suicides after the show aired was the highest ever. Social media shares news of suicide, causing more suicides, causing new of more suicides to be shared, continuously growing the suicide rate.

Keith

Personally I think that this is trying to fix a symptom and not the actual cause of the symptom. In short, kids today don't have the foundation they need to let this stuff roll off their backs and move along. It's no different than most of us having guns in our trucks at high school. We had guns with no shootings. Why, because we had the right foundation imo.

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 01:30 PM

Catch I think we had no school shootings because deranged cowards knew that somebody would fight back. Not because we were somehow superior to kids today.

I still think attempted suicide rates are higher because of better reporting not a higher percentage of attempts

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Catch I think we had no school shootings because deranged cowards knew that somebody would fight back. Not because we were somehow superior to kids today.

I still think attempted suicide rates are higher because of better reporting not a higher percentage of reports.

I'm not saying we were superior to kids today, I'm saying we had a better set up if you will. We had a lot more homes with both parents, we had the golden rule and parents that would snatch ya bald headed in public if ya had it coming, we had the 10 commandments in public buildings, we had a lot more Dads that hunted and taught us gun safety, we had a heck of a lot better education system, we spent time OUTSIDE and weren't so desensitized to nature. And so on. I do agree with you that a lot of the suicide rates are reported more today because of social media. I would like to see the numbers, if they are accurate.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 02:16 PM

i knew there was a reason the wife and i don't have or want cell phones.my sons scare me with how much they use them but they are adults and i have no place to do anything but tell them my views which usually get me eye rolls and a snicker.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC

Keith

Without getting to much into the details I will say this. If your daughter/niece/friends/wife etc start repeatedly watching "13 reasons why" or "to the bone" or any similar show/movie you need to snap to attention and dig deeper into whats going on... Personal experience.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 02:36 PM

Big Problem with Phones kids don't have Real Friends anymore that they can confide in They can sit 5 feet away and text but not talk no people skills no life skills just your own little 2 in square world that everyone can see
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22

I still think attempted suicide rates are higher because of better reporting not a higher percentage of reports.

I'm not saying we were superior to kids today, I'm saying we had a better set up if you will. We had a lot more homes with both parents, we had the golden rule and parents that would snatch ya bald headed in public if ya had it coming, we had the 10 commandments in public buildings, we had a lot more Dads that hunted and taught us gun safety, we had a heck of a lot better education system, we spent time OUTSIDE and weren't so desensitized to nature. And so on. I do agree with you that a lot of the suicide rates are reported more today because of social media. I would like to see the numbers, if they are accurate.

I agree. We also were brought up to use common sense. We watched movies, but they didn't have the language, content, sex, etc. that they do today. There have been copycat teens today influenced by music, movies, TV, etc.

Just a couple examples are the two boys who had watched the movie Natural Born Killers so many times, they said they had to follow through and carry out a school shooting. Or, the movie Basketball Diaries. The boy that did that shooting wore the same clothing as the killer in the movie. Even sewed interior pockets in his slicker like in the movie. They found a VCR tape of the movie in his room. Then, there's the 3 teens who gassed themselves with a running car in a closed garage. Ozzie's tape Suicide Solution was found playing in the car. Of course, the media said none of these things contributed to the suicides.

Every Christmas I used to put on movies for kids in the small town I live near. The movies were all old comedies like Laurel & Hardy, The Little Rascals, The 3 Stooges, etc. It was free and all were welcome. At the end of the movies, as they left each kid was given a bag containing an apple, candy, and peanuts. I did this because when I was a little all of us kids looked forward to it in the town I lived in. It was sponsored by the local businesses.

I put this on for several years until a couple of mothers told me they weren't going to allow their children to come if I continued to show such violent movies as Laurel & Hardy and the 3 Stooges. They felt these movies were a bad influence on kids! When we were kids we knew the difference between real and not real. I guess some kids today don't.

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 06:36 PM

the worst in my eyes was the 2 young girls that killed their friend--the slender man killing.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 06:46 PM

"It's all about me, when it ain't, I don't want to live."
Posted By: Getting There

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 07:17 PM

There is no one thing that anyone can put there figure on. Lets start with respect. Respect for young and old by the young and old. Put prayer back in school along with the pledge of allegiance back in the school. Treat each other as you would like to be treated. Try and do one thing good for someone every day. Say hello to people when you pass. Smile! Hold a door open for some one, give some your seat. Say thank you. This is a good start in my book. Be a friend!

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 07:28 PM

lazy and always takin the easy way out.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

I dont think that's it. We have more connectivity than ever but people are lonelier than ever. Kids get limited time with their parents due to work schedules and when they are around the parents are always on a device. Kids dont seem like they know how to interact in person any more, add in the fact it is easier to be cruel from behind a screen and you end up with lonely kids who feel worthless and feel as they have No purpose.

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 08:41 PM

Being alone is the best.

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/01/19 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

I dont think that's it. We have more connectivity than ever but people are lonelier than ever. Kids get limited time with their parents due to work schedules and when they are around the parents are always on a device. Kids dont seem like they know how to interact in person any more, add in the fact it is easier to be cruel from behind a screen and you end up with lonely kids who feel worthless and feel as they have No purpose.

You're both right.

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/02/19 09:56 AM

So with no one to blame as a society but ourselves, no villain to rail against, we just overlook this crisis?

Is it because it forces us to hold up a mirror and try to figure out what we have done wrong?

Didn't someone post the other day about how some Hollywood starlet was speaking about the injustice of eating eggs and milk as being a form female oppresion? And yet the epidemic of young girls killing themselves barely scratches the headlines.

The media, Hollywood and politicians have become modern day "false prophets".

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/02/19 11:13 AM

mental health knowledge among the professionals is a joke in this world.

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/02/19 11:28 AM

You folks that want prayer in school need to rethink that if your kids are in public school. Congress can not choose one religion over another. There are many different faiths in this country. Do you want your child performing rites to worship gaia or being taught they will be reincarnated until they reach nirvana?
If you want them to pray, to your god, you need to enroll them in a private school or teach them to find time to pray alone or with siblings or friends at their public school.

I still don't believe suicde attempts are more prevalent, I believe they are just reported more to the CDC. I don't think pshycho babblers are correct when they say eating a handful of aspirin, then telling your girlfriend, is a real suicide attempt. That stuff used to not be reported.

Generally you can't raise other peoples children. You may be able to mentor one or two. You may become a foster parent.

The best thing we can do for our society is to end welfare. Rewarding irresponsibility just causes more irresponsibility. If you give a kid a piece of candy for throwing a fit at the grocery store instead of paddling her but, you will get a tantrum every time you refuse to buy candy. Adults are not much different.

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/02/19 04:32 PM

If you give a kid a piece of candy for throwing a fit at the grocery store instead of paddling her but, you will get a tantrum every time you refuse to buy candy. Adults are not much different.

Not when they grow up as the afore mentioned.

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/03/19 09:13 AM

You folks that want prayer in school need to rethink that if your kids are in public school. Congress can not choose one religion over another. There are many different faiths in this country. Do you want your child performing rites to worship gaia or being taught they will be reincarnated until they reach nirvana?
If you want them to pray, to your god, you need to enroll them in a private school or teach them to find time to pray alone or with siblings or friends at their public school.

I still don't believe suicde attempts are more prevalent, I believe they are just reported more to the CDC. I don't think pshycho babblers are correct when they say eating a handful of aspirin, then telling your girlfriend, is a real suicide attempt. That stuff used to not be reported.

Generally you can't raise other peoples children. You may be able to mentor one or two. You may become a foster parent.

The best thing we can do for our society is to end welfare. Rewarding irresponsibility just causes more irresponsibility. If you give a kid a piece of candy for throwing a fit at the grocery store instead of paddling her but, you will get a tantrum every time you refuse to buy candy. Adults are not much different.

Why do you think we have welfare Danny? Is it because people are being hardworking, honest and maintaining strong marriages and families?

Where would we find some outlines for that?

You are absolutely right about prayer in school. Though contrary to popular perception, God isn't forcing His way of life on Earth right now. This is the age of man in Satan's world. Adam chose to reject God's way of life and his offspring have been doing up to this day. We won't even let God define what a man or a woman is. We are eating the fruit of the tree we choose.

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/03/19 12:22 PM

We have welfare because we are a socialist country starting with FDR's new deal.

It continues because people think it benefits recipients and makes for a better society.

Some people got even wealthier during the depression. Money doesn't disappear it only changes hands.

The elite who's wealth increased during the depression also got more power. It is not a coincidence that free people's right to keep and bear arms was infringed for the first time during the depression.

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/03/19 06:33 PM

We have welfare because we are a socialist country starting with FDR's new deal.

It continues because people think it benefits recipients and makes for a better society.

Some people got even wealthier during the depression. Money doesn't disappear it only changes hands.

The elite who's wealth increased during the depression also got more power. It is not a coincidence that free people's right to keep and bear arms was infringed for the first time during the depression.

Sounds like stealing, bribery and greed to me. Working up to oppression.
Posted By: hippie

Re: If this many kids died of measles........ - 05/03/19 06:45 PM

Started well before that, but FDR did bring the Fed. Gov't into it. Most all states had something called the mother's poverty act? I think it was called, in the early 1900's.
Churches and local govt' s did the dirty work until FDR took it federal.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums