Home

Deere or Cub Cadet?

Posted By: Jim H

Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 02:16 AM

I need a new riding mower this year. I want v twin around 20 hp and budgeting around $2k. I have 1.5 acres of lawn. Not looking for a model #, just overall opinion on what brand is a better buy. From a dealer not a Home Depot/Lowes model! Thanks!
Posted By: bulldozerjoe

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 02:34 AM

I bought a used John Deere 710 zero turn last year... it was more than what you like to pay.. I’d never owned anything John Deere so I was Leary... it’s been great... it’s got the better steel on the deck... I love it... I’m a ford/new holland guy..
Posted By: Railroader

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 02:35 AM

Haven't owned a John Deere but have used them (zero turn and garden tractor) many times and i personally wouldnt buy one. Bog down really bad in thicker grass and just didnt cut well. Father in law traded his in cuz it was such a turd. My fifteen year old 21 hp Craftsman would out mow his JD all day long. My dad has a cub cadet and seems to like it.

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 02:36 AM

I don’t have time to mow, I had a bigger cub cadet before... man those zero turns cut mowing time in half
Posted By: Railroader

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by bulldozerjoe
I don’t have time to mow, I had a bigger cub cadet before... man those zero turns cut mowing time in half

Indeed they do. i just got my Hustler and cut my mow time down from 4 hours to 1.5 hours.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jim H
I need a new riding mower this year. I want v twin around 20 hp and budgeting around $2k. I have 1.5 acres of lawn. Not looking for a model #, just overall opinion on what brand is a better buy. From a dealer not a Home Depot/Lowes model! Thanks!

I believe that both the deere and cub non commercial tractors are made by MTD, so it might not matter much.

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Haven't owned a John Deere but have used them (zero turn and garden tractor) many times and i personally wouldnt buy one. Bog down really bad in thicker grass and just didnt cut well. Father in law traded his in cuz it was such a turd. My fifteen year old 21 hp Craftsman would out mow his JD all day long. My dad has a cub cadet and seems to like it.

I bought mine from the village, it’s the commercial grade... 54 inch deck i think.. around 22 horse I think.. never bogs down... love it... I run 90 octane gas it it...

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 02:42 AM

Dads got a woods diesel, that things a bear
Posted By: midlander

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 02:43 AM

Like most things, you get what your pay for. been running Deere for over 30 years and wouldn't think twice about another ...

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by bulldozerjoe
I bought a used John Deere 737 zero turn last year... it was more than what you like to pay.. I’d never owned anything John Deere so I was Leary... it’s been great... it’s got the better steel on the deck... I love it... I’m a ford/new holland guy..

I'd love a zero turn but yeah, not in the budget right now!
Posted By: MB750

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 07:30 AM

I bought a used John Deere 930M a couple of years ago, Great machine. I have worked it hard & other than replaced one belt, no problem.
As for zero turn vs tractor type mower, Zero turn hands down. You can mow a yard almost twice as fast with a zero turn than you can with a tractor type, faster than that if you want to.
As for Cub vs John Deere, Go with the green one every time.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 10:53 AM

You gotta match deck width with hp. I bought a Husqvarna last year and like it. 1.5 acres is not small potatoes.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 11:35 AM

Bought a cub cadet riding mower 5 year ago and it has been pretty good, had to do some minor repairs but nothing major. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Had a John Deere riding mower before that and it done pretty good as well, I just didn't like the hydrostatic drive on it for the hills I got to mow, but I'm sure they've improved that
Posted By: snowy

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 11:38 AM

I would get the cub, great machines.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 11:43 AM

Cub
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 11:44 AM

Nothing runs like a deer!!!!!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 12:14 PM

The old Cub Cadets were well built, but like everything else, quality has slipped. Fancy zero turns are good, but will also break the bank.
Posted By: sako22

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 01:02 PM

Get a john deere from a john deere dealer and not from a box store. Look at local dealers and a lot of times they have nice trade- ins for pretty good deals. I have a john deere GT 235 and it is a great mower. It has the briggs and Stratton v twin.
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 01:07 PM

Wouldn't buy either. The decks have exposed blades if you lift the discharge chute. Would not buy any mower where you can possibly set your foot into the rotating blades. This is the first thing i would look at on any mower. Most all mowers and riders are made by MTD. The only difference is the color and stickers. So buy the least expensive one that is safe to use.
Posted By: Rockfarmer

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 01:08 PM

Have had a cub cadet riding mower 4 years now. LT 48 I think - 48 or 46 inch cut. Its been a beast here on the farm. I have used it to mow the yard - up to 3 acres depending on my mood. lol. But I have also used it pretty much as a brush hog cutting tall grass and weeds in the pastures. It has performed well.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 01:24 PM

My John Deere is a '59 model 1010 tractor that was Grandpa's!

My Cub Cadet I bought 15 yrs ago, its a LT1050, with a 23 hp Koehler
It has been GREAT with general upkeep.
We cut 4 acres with it.

JD has a welded frame which is why I didn't buy it back then.

Cadets have bolt together, so if I bent a section, it can be replaced, and not the entire frame.

I also wanted the gas cap on the side NOT under the seat where it always takes a looooong spout on the gas can.

I also wanted "deck wash" ports to put the garden hose to clean it after use. Decks rust out FAST if you/we leave grass stuck on the sides.
Posted By: 50fps

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 01:25 PM

Most of the current Deere series under 3 are box store machines (non-commercial).
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 01:46 PM

I have had a Toro zero turn with a Kawasaki motor on it - 42" and paid right about 2300 for it new. I just bought a used F510 John Deere with another Kawasaki motor in it for $300. Yes, I prefer Kawasaki motors in any mower and really would have paid a few hundred more for a good heavy welded deck over any stamped deck. I'd much rather have a used zero turn over a brand new top of the line lawn tractor.......I hate mowing. - I should add - unless its going to be raked and baled.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 03:00 PM

I have JD 178. 38”cut. 15 hp. And it’s 24 years old. It takes me 2 hours and 15 minutes to cut 1.7 acres. I also have a Husqvarna zero turn with a 46”cut and 24hp. 3 years old. It takes me about 1 hour and 15 minutes to cut the same grass. Now, when the ground is wet, I use the JD. The zero turn, gets stuck a lot. And, I’m always fixing it to. With your budget, I would look into a good 2nd hand one. My son in law, just bought a new cub cadet at a box store. He cuts a little over 2 acres of field grass. It does good, and he likes it. But, It won’t last as long as the JD. The Husqvarna was given to me. I wouldn’t buy one. But, that’s just me. I also have a 1976 cub cadet. And it will run right now! I gave about 2000 for the JD , 24 years ago. And, the cub cadet was over 2000 in 76. I don’t think you are going to get much from a dealer with your budget. That’s why I said, look into a 2nd hand one.

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 03:16 PM

I put some aggressive bar tires on mine. Made a ton of difference in traction.. But you got to be careful making a turn if you don’t want to rip the ground up,,

[Linked Image]
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Animals Only
Wouldn't buy either. The decks have exposed blades if you lift the discharge chute. Would not buy any mower where you can possibly set your foot into the rotating blades. This is the first thing i would look at on any mower. Most all mowers and riders are made by MTD. The only difference is the color and stickers. So buy the least expensive one that is safe to use.

Just about everything mentioned here is wrong.

Asking for brand advice on Tman is just asking for a pizzing contest.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 03:40 PM

John Deere from a dealer used or new years of service
Posted By: hippie

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 06:11 PM

I'm a Deere guy. I had both dealers within 10 miles when I bought my place and after trying a Cub, I thought anything else had to be better. Bought a Deere 25 years ago and haven't looked back.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 06:38 PM

If u want a tractor style go get a poulan....if you want something that's not a throw away get a used commercial zero turn
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 06:51 PM

nothing funds like a deere.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/02/19 10:54 PM

We use Deere because dealers are close, the people around here that have had new cub cadets within the last ten years didn’t like them, said they weren’t built very well. So I would say Deere if you have a dealer close but if you have a cub dealer closer go with them, seems like you always need parts no matter what brand you have.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/03/19 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
We use Deere because dealers are close, the people around here that have had new cub cadets within the last ten years didn’t like them, said they weren’t built very well. So I would say Deere if you have a dealer close but if you have a cub dealer closer go with them, seems like you always need parts no matter what brand you have.

Parts are only a few clicks away on the key board and are cheaper. Lol
That is really a non issue any more with computer technology.

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/03/19 01:51 AM

I have both a Cub And Deere dealer close by, that's why the comparison of those 2. I was set on Cub until a few people said the dealer did half (unacceptable word) repairs and the wait time was months not weeks or days. The Deere dealer is 2 minutes from where I work and does have a few used commercial on the lot. What is acceptable hours on a used mower for 2 grand? ... I dont care what model, you tell me lol. Thanks for all the answers so far!

Re: Deere or Cub Cadet? - 05/03/19 02:27 AM

I paid 3200 for the zero turn, village owned and serviced by John Deere. It just cut the villages baseball field.. it had 700 hours on it
© 2024 Trapperman Forums