Home

Question for the goat experts UPDATE!!!

Posted By: Jurassic Park

Question for the goat experts UPDATE!!! - 05/02/19 03:33 PM

Do you think my 1 year old goat is pregnant based on her udder? I didn’t pay attention to it before now, so can’t compare it to anything. But it looks like she might be starting to fill with milk?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/02/19 03:34 PM

if she was with a billy shes bred
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/02/19 03:53 PM

Th
Originally Posted by Hydropillar
if she was with a billy shes bred

This here. Never had one that didn’t take for the 10 or so years we bred and raised them

I still remember the very first one. Only one hoof was coming out and I had to reach in and get the other hoof. That was my introduction to raising goats
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/02/19 03:56 PM

Looks like shes freshening to me

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/02/19 04:05 PM

Ok cool! She is with a buck right now and has been since December 24th plus another doe. I’ve never seen them breed or even see the buck excited and trying to breed. They all just seem like friends.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/02/19 05:01 PM

No Muslims around?
Posted By: run

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/02/19 07:06 PM

I love goats as long as they stay inside their fence.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/02/19 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by run
I love goats as long as they stay inside their fence.

Go that is the trick isent it, escape artists everyone of them, the only thing I didn’t like about having goats around is that every time they managed to get out they all seemed to want to go for a ride because they would end up on top of my car

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/02/19 07:49 PM

Keeping them in is a trick.then they find the dangdest ways to commit suicide
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/02/19 08:11 PM

her bag wont drop till a week or two before she kids. Seeing as they carry for 5 mths she isnt old enough to kid yet. If she is with a breeding age bill then she should be pregnant soon enough. My goats are pretty private about breeding. Ive never seen them in the act, but my bill carries on and acts insane when there is a nanny that is ready.

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/02/19 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Possum Man
her bag wont drop till a week or two before she kids. Seeing as they carry for 5 mths she isnt old enough to kid yet. If she is with a breeding age bill then she should be pregnant soon enough. My goats are pretty private about breeding. Ive never seen them in the act, but my bill carries on and acts insane when there is a nanny that is ready.

Thought goats can get pregnant at 5 months old? My goat is 14 months old right now.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/02/19 09:52 PM

She may be prego or it might be a false preg due to her age, is she starting to swell or discharge around her vulva?

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/02/19 10:47 PM

i had 400 nannies for a grazing contract we had at a air force base eating spurge... when a billy breeds its just one fast ram jump on back throw his head and its over probably less than 30 seconds.. i had 8 billys to cover the 400 head ... it wasnt enough they literally did it till death... down to skin and bones... not all of them but i think i lost 3 out if the 8

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/02/19 10:48 PM

if a fence dont hold water it wont hold goats

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/02/19 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
She may be prego or it might be a false preg due to her age, is she starting to swell or discharge around her vulva?

I didn’t see anything like that yesterday when I looked at her. I’ll keep an eye on it.
Posted By: goatman

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/03/19 12:53 PM

Not all goats want out. I raised fainting goats for 10 years. The only ones that went outside the fence were kids and they weren't going anywhere. Like possum man said the bag usually drops about a week before. She's probably pregnant and at her age won't show much bag. Never had a billy that didn't cover himself in brown stain or do lip curling all the time when does were in heat. You know like when you guys were teenagers.

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/03/19 03:55 PM

Goatman, with a name like that I figure you know your stuff when it comes to goats.
Can I leave her with the other doe and billy while she’s in labor or should I move her into her own stall to have her kids? If I need to move her, how long till I can put her and the kids with the other goats?

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/03/19 11:05 PM

Ive had young or aggressive billies mistake the birthing smells for in heat smells and cause enough drama to make inexpierenced nannys leave their kids .being her first time id prefer to seperate her .she wont know to nock the crap out of the billy if he gets to close
Posted By: brianmall

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/04/19 01:11 AM

Lol

Those things look used already!?

Can't tell by the way milkers look until about two weeks from delivery. They will swell up like crazy then. Other than that I've been told you can't really be sure until you walk out to barn one morning and have a bunch of new heads peeking out the door at ya.

We can kinda tell with ours when that indentation between ribs and pelvic area fills up. Then it's anybody's guess until milkers swell up.

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/04/19 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
Ive had young or aggressive billies mistake the birthing smells for in heat smells and cause enough drama to make inexpierenced nannys leave their kids .being her first time id prefer to seperate her .she wont know to nock the crap out of the billy if he gets to close

Good to know! I’ll make her a pen and put her in there in a few days. Hopefully she doesn’t have them before I build it.

Originally Posted by brianmall
Lol

Those things look used already!?

Can't tell by the way milkers look until about two weeks from delivery. They will swell up like crazy then. Other than that I've been told you can't really be sure until you walk out to barn one morning and have a bunch of new heads peeking out the door at ya.

We can kinda tell with ours when that indentation between ribs and pelvic area fills up. Then it's anybody's guess until milkers swell up.

Will her bag fill up a little more each day or will it be a little bit one day then a lot a week later, then bam! Babies! ?
Posted By: goatman

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/04/19 01:21 PM

It's good your building a pen. 24 hours is enough bonding time in warm weather. In below 25 degree weather I would keep them under a heat bulb 3 or 4 days. Get them out of pen conditions as soon as you think they're good. Some first timers can do crazy stuff. They don't understand what is going on. Don't worry to much. Let them do their thing. Whatever time you usually feed them often times ends up being the kidding time.
Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/06/19 03:43 AM

This little nanny had a set of twins when she was 11 months old. It was funny to see them play together just like she was little as one of them.

[Linked Image]

This nanny was also 11 months old when she had a single kid.

[Linked Image]

Re: Question for the goat experts - 05/06/19 03:50 AM

Awesome Cedar Hacker! That one kid looks just like it’s mother.

Re: Question for the goat experts - 06/02/19 11:06 PM

Well our goat was pregnant after all and had a healthy boy this afternoon! One month after I initially made this post asking if the experts thought she would be pregnant.
Our other goat is pregnant too! Hope she has twins!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Question for the goat experts - 06/02/19 11:25 PM

You goat lover ! smile
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Question for the goat experts - 06/02/19 11:39 PM

Where's Rev when ya need advise.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Question for the goat experts - 06/02/19 11:56 PM

You should dry the kid off more and dip the umbilical cord in iodine. If your area is low in selenium, like ours is, give it the shot or the oral selenium and E.

Keith
Posted By: brianmall

Re: Question for the goat experts - 06/03/19 02:19 AM

We have an acrobat kid.

Thing will jump 5' straight up and over fence.

So did their bags swell up like no other the week they dropped?

Re: Question for the goat experts - 06/03/19 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by brianmall
We have an acrobat kid.

Thing will jump 5' straight up and over fence.

So did their bags swell up like no other the week they dropped?

They filled up very slowly for 1 month. About every 7 days I could notice the bag was a bit bigger than before. And this last week wasn’t all that different. But today she pushed the door open and was out eating leaves from the low branches and I thought she’s prob getting close to labor. She’s never pushed the door open before.

The other goat seems to be a couple weeks behind this one in pregnancy. But who really knows lol.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Question for the goat experts - 07/14/19 01:52 AM

Did your other goat drop yet?

How is your first kid doing?

I need to put about 40 does with 2 bucks, by the end of the month to produce kids for the 4H market.

Here's some of the kids we had born in May.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Keith

Re: Question for the goat experts - 07/14/19 02:16 AM

Hey Keith, those are some good looking goats!

Yes my other goat had her kid June 8th, only 6 days after the first one had hers. She had a girl and we named her Java. Mom’s name is Mocha.

This is her the day she was born.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I should go take some pics of both the kids tomorrow if I have time. Both looking good and healthy. I’ll wait for November/December to breed them again.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Question for the goat experts - 11/18/19 03:43 PM

[Linked Image]

Just had to add some finishing touches. How are they kids doing now.
Posted By: run

Re: Question for the goat experts - 11/18/19 07:51 PM

Nice goat thread, man I miss our goat's.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums